To mod (procreate) or not to mod

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Boltman
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Boltman »

ScoopBrady wrote:
WillHunting wrote:Thanks!! We are super excited to have our first baby.... Naming her is a challenge though. We have 3 months.
Let me give you the short list that my daughter has submitted if we end up having a girl:
Hannah Montana
Dorothy Gayle
:lol:

LMAO @ the Hannah Montana suggestion, my daughter will see your daughters Hannah Montana and raise her with a Hannah Montana, London Tipten, and a Gabriella Montez.

Seriously, Disney channel is the only thing on in whatever room she is watching the TV in.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

All you guys with number 2 on the way, let me turn your attention to some important phrases. Commit them to memory.

"Because he/she is a baby, and you aren not."

"Wash your hands."

"Ask your mother where he/she came from."

These will serve you well.
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

thebigcaptain
Mario Mendoza

Re: To mod (procreate) or not to mod

Post by thebigcaptain »

ScoopBrady wrote: I'm still absolutely floored that people are enjoying NHL 2k8 only 3 short years after bashing NHL 2005 for being a checkfest and unplayable yet 2k8 does the same exact thing and is fun.
don't be floored, the hockey videogame landscape surprisingly did change that dramatically.

i don't post here that often, but i read almost every night.
i enjoy reading the (usually adult) back and forth that goes on between
gamers that are really into sports related videogames and are generous with expressing their impressions of what it's like to play them.

i remember the early hockey videogames, from nintendo's skinny-fast guy/ medium-medium guy/fat-strong guy rendition, to activision's two on two knock hockey hockey game to konami's blades of steel.

i remember how excited i was when i first plugged in electronic arts' first nhl hockey into my genesis and i actually called my wife into the room so she could see just how spectacular the presentation of my favorite sport was.

"that's nice, honey," she said, backing out of the room as quickly and diplomatically as she could. my young son and i managed as best as we could to enjoy the games without her active participation, which soon became limited to breaking up the scrums between he and i that would occur from time to time as a natural offshoot of heated competition.

and the years went by.

soon, i became disenchanted with the ea efforts and by the time i was playing on a playstation 2, i became more enamored with the 2k series
of the sport i loved. for a few years it offered much smoother gameplay, and it offered both sim and arcade like modes so i could alter the experience of playing it as my mood dictated.

this year, for the first time in a long time, the electronic arts version of hockey has me excited about hockey videogaming again. it really comes as close to mimicking the experience of a real game of hockey as anything i've experienced. the other players on your team, and the other players on the ai controlled opponents all seem to (mostly) do what they're supposed to be doing while i skate with or without the puck.

surprisingly, i find playing the latest 2k offering to be almost unplayable by comparison, regardless of sim or arcade settings. for me, it has been relegated in status almost as a next-gen version of the nhl hitz series...easy on the eyes, spectacular guffaw inducing checking, but nowhere close to capturing the essence of a real hockey game.

mind you, it's not just the ramped up physical play and old detroit olympia
shaped rinks that serve to decrease the amount of breathing room your skaters have out there on the ice. it just seems that you can't count on your own teammates to be where they're supposed to be, at either end of the rink.

so count me in as one of the ea nhl bashers that once championed the 2k series, but is now very much enjoying NHL 08.
i have come home to roost where it all began (more or less.)

congratulations to all the new daddies and repeat offender new daddies.

and in keeping with the spirit of this thread......
hard to believe, but my wife and i are also having a baby.
it's been 26 years since he was born, but we're still having him.

budda-boom.

(ok, i know you're out there, i can hear you gaming.)

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Outstanding post, captain. Post here more often, especially in our NHL threads! We need more puckheads. There's no such thing as too much hockey! :)

P.S.: Any cat who refers to the Olympia is OK by me ... :)

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Congrats to all expectant fathers. Great news indeed!

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

pigpen81 wrote:Congrats Scoop and Jared. You can add me to the list. #2 is due April 22nd.....maybe a Lil' Henry...or maybe a little Alyce.

See PK, watching all those Lifetime shows with my wife really does pay.
PAY!!!! you may get laid more often , but pay my friend is something you wont have enough of now number 2 is on the way.
Even more less gaming from Pigpen if thats possible.

Oh and great news on the baby mate you didnt hang around they may as well be twins.

nyisles16
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by nyisles16 »

congrats all!!

Scoop, you should call you new one "Shadow" for a girl, "Gears" for a guy :lol:

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

pigpen81 wrote:Congrats Scoop and Jared. You can add me to the list. #2 is due April 22nd.....maybe a Lil' Henry...or maybe a little Alyce.

See PK, watching all those Lifetime shows with my wife really does pay.
You're still a flaming f*g with a very odd Jane Seymour-Lindsay Wagner fetish. :)

Seriously, man, CONGRATS! :) :) :)

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

WillHunting
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: To mod (procreate) or not to mod

Post by WillHunting »

thebigcaptain wrote: i remember the early hockey videogames, from nintendo's skinny-fast guy/ medium-medium guy/fat-strong guy rendition, to activision's two on two knock hockey hockey game to konami's blades of steel.
Speaking of early hockey games, anyone ever played Hatrick! (Arcade or Atari 7800 version)? I love that game even though it is 1-on-1 hockey with a pong goalie!
+++++++++++++++
Gamertag: The Praxis
+++++++++++++++

TheGamer
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by TheGamer »

with all these babies on the way, I guess guys aren't playing games as much as they profess.
XBL gamertag:SecondACR Vet
PSN: BHoward1
http://community.2ksports.com/community ... id=1010465
http://twitter.com/ BradHowardSr

Jackdog
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jackdog »

Congrats Scoop!!!!! Porkchops and Applesauce!
[img]http://www.ideaspot.net/flags/Big_10/small/mich-sm.gif[/img][img]http://www.ideaspot.net/nfl/NFC_North/small/pack1-sm.gif[/img]

Boltman
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Boltman »

JackDog wrote:Congrats Scoop!!!!! Porkchops and Applesauce!
Damn, I got hungry reading that. :lol: