DSP Boxing thread. Ding! Ding!

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: DSP Boxing thread. Ding! Ding!

Post by pk500 »

Such a disappointing, desultory fight. You missed nothing if you didn't see it.

Joshua did exactly what he needed -- he turned into Wladimir Klitschko while trained under Manny Steward. Safety first, stick and move, no chances. Boring as f*ck and extremely effective.

Ruiz was a joke. Came in far overweight, couldn't get under AJ's jab. Had no Plan B.

This was a crap fight. I think both men combined to throw less than 10 body shots combined outside of clinches. This was a glorified sparring session with little intensity or passion.

Ruiz already is calling for a rubber match. I would rather run my testicles through a Velveeta slicer than see this fight a third time. It's clear that the first fight was Ruiz's "Buster Douglas" moment. He's a guy who didn't respect the belt or the sport in his preparation and is a B-level fighter. The only person who should want to see a third fight is Ruiz's dietician.

It's time for Joshua to take on Wilder. And after today, I think the incredibly crude but powerful Wilder will knock out Joshua, especially if he ever develops a body punch. Joshua was a very effective boxer tonight, and it will be his blueprint for future success. It's boring as f*ck, but the fawning DAZN commentators and delusional British fans will try to convince the world that AJ is a brilliant tactician and the second coming of Ali when the reality that this new strategy is the only way he can stay on his feet.

There's a reason why I think Fury is the best of the current elite heavyweight trilogy -- he's the only one who uses any kind of body attack. He is the only complete package among himself, Wilder and Joshua. Wilder has no boxing skill but a huge right hand and stiff beard. Joshua can box but has no beard. Neither guy ever goes to the body.

Meanwhile, Fury can box, crack upstairs and downstairs and has a hell of a chin.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I agree with you that Ruiz doesn't deserve another shot as Joshua will just use the same tactics. If this were Ali vs Frazier or Ali vs Norton or Ward vs Gatti then yeah but Ruiz is not in that group. He got dumb fat and happy after he won the first title fight.

Now an AJ vs Wilder fight COULD be interesting with AJ's new style and refocus to the sport. A Joshua vs Fury fight would be off the charts in Great Britain. Does DAZN control both Joshua and Fury?

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:Now an AJ vs Wilder fight COULD be interesting with AJ's new style and refocus to the sport. A Joshua vs Fury fight would be off the charts in Great Britain. Does DAZN control both Joshua and Fury?
How could AJ-Wilder be interesting? AJ will stick and run even more than he did today against Ruiz because Wilder has TNT in his right hand. He has FAR more power than Ruiz or any other heavyweight since Tyson, so why would AJ want to engage, especially since Wilder is a TERRIBLE boxer?

Joshua is a Matchroom fighter, which is affiliated with DAZN. But AJ claims he can make deals with anyone. Unlikely.

Fury is a Top Rank fighter, which is affiliated with ESPN and ESPN+. Legendary Top Rank owner and Hall of Fame promoter Bob Arum will not do business with Al Haymon, who controls Premier Boxing Champions. Arum also rarely does business with Oscar De La Hoya and Golden Boy, but so far there is no bad blood between Matchroom boss Eddie Hearn and Arum, so a Fury-Joshua fight could be made for boffo box office in the UK and healthy profits worldwide.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

pk500 wrote:How could AJ-Wilder be interesting? AJ will stick and run even more than he did today against Ruiz because Wilder has TNT in his right hand. He has FAR more power than Ruiz or any other heavyweight since Tyson, so why would AJ want to engage, especially since Wilder is a TERRIBLE boxer?
Just to see how long AJ can last against Wilder's TNT. Eventually someone will have to throw a punch :lol:

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:
pk500 wrote:How could AJ-Wilder be interesting? AJ will stick and run even more than he did today against Ruiz because Wilder has TNT in his right hand. He has FAR more power than Ruiz or any other heavyweight since Tyson, so why would AJ want to engage, especially since Wilder is a TERRIBLE boxer?
Just to see how long AJ can last against Wilder's TNT. Eventually someone will have to throw a punch :lol:
Ah! Agree! :)

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

PK, thoughts on tomorrows Wilder v Fury fight. Who are you picking?

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:PK, thoughts on tomorrows Wilder v Fury fight. Who are you picking?
Wilder by mid- to late-round stoppage.

Wilder has so much room to improve leading into every fight because he's such a crude boxer. And it looks to me in the "Wilder-Fury II" 24/7 style shows on FOX that Wilder and his camp are working more on technique, speed and footwork for this fight. That will really help Wilder because that atomic right hand -- the biggest punch in boxing since peak young Foreman or Earnie Shavers -- isn't going away.

Fury has changed trainers to "SugarHill" Steward, the nephew of late, legendary trainer Emanuel Steward, who trained Tommy Hearns, Hilmer Kenty, the Klitschkos, etc. Their new public strategy is for Fury to work on strength and power and go for an early knockout.

That makes sense since Wilder is most effective at distance, when he can extend his left jab as a set-up punch for his neutron bomb of a right, which is at its concussive best at full extension. Plus Wilder is not a good inside fighter and doesn't fight well while moving backward. So, it could be smart for Fury to go inside and work early for a quick KO. Plus Fury suffered a nasty gash over his eye in his last fight just five months ago, against Otto Wallin, that required nearly 50 stitches to close. The longer the fight goes on, the better chance that Wilder will reopen that cut and send a gusher of blood into Fury's eye.

Still, there is huge risk for Fury to avoid fighting at distance and using head and foot movement. It's his best strategy, as he has remarkable foot and hand speed for a 6-9, 270 guy. Those tactics had him well up on the scorecards until Wilder knocked him down in the ninth and 12th.

Fascinating fight between the two best heavyweights in the world. A true 50/50 fight. I can't wait to watch it!

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

I’ll keep my prediction short. I agree with PK. TKO in the middle rounds. Wilder is always open to get hit because he’s just not that clean of a fighter. I believe PK used the word “crude” above. Perhaps Fury catches him with something big and takes something out of him early but the rocket of a right hand that Wilder has will end this fight in one way or the other.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Will the winner get a rematch or will they fight AJ to unify the 4 belts? I don’t think AJ wants either fighter at this point.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:Will the winner get a rematch or will they fight AJ to unify the 4 belts? I don’t think AJ wants either fighter at this point.
Not sure of the rematch clause in the contract.

AJ is the third-best heavyweight in the world, behind these two. The belts are irrelevant: The winner of tonight's fight is the true heavyweight champion of the world. A true champion doesn't get knocked out by Andy Effing Ruiz.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

pk500 wrote:
Rodster wrote:Will the winner get a rematch or will they fight AJ to unify the 4 belts? I don’t think AJ wants either fighter at this point.
Not sure of the rematch clause in the contract.

AJ is the third-best heavyweight in the world, behind these two. The belts are irrelevant: The winner of tonight's fight is the true heavyweight champion of the world. A true champion doesn't get knocked out by Andy Effing Ruiz.
I read that there is a clause that allows either fighter to ask for a rematch. See if that's true. I also felt the same way when AJ lost to Ruiz. I still don't think he could beat either Wilder or Fury.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Color me surprised. Of all the possible scenarios, a mid-round stoppage by Fury was low on my list.

While Fury didn't get his promised second-round KO, he did press the action from the opening bell. That made all the difference since Wilder cannot fight off his back foot. Last night also proved Wilder still has little boxing nous other than his left jab and atomic overhand right. His footwork looked no better, and I think he throws to the body about as often as Trump tells the truth.

It sure looked like Fury bursted Wilder's ear drum -- sorry, it hurts just to type that -- with his knockdown shot in Round 3. It wasn't that hard of a shot, yet Wilder never regained his equilibrium for the rest of the fight. Wilder has a strong beard, as he got up after being knocked down by heavy hands Luis Ortiz. So, a shot like that from Fury shouldn't have made him punch-drunk for the rest of the night. But your eardrum controls much of your equilibrium, so once that was gone, Wilder was on rubber legs and a foggy mind for the rest of the night.

Fury was better, period. He creased Wilder with that body shot that dropped him in the fifth, an example of Fury's much more aggressive body punching during this fight.

Make no mistake about it: Tyson Fury is the best heavyweight in the world. But I still think Wilder is No. 2. That atomic right hand can put anyone to sleep in a hurry. Anthony Joshua can't be placed above either of these guys because he lost to a fat f*ck named Andy Ruiz, exposing his glass jaw.

Fury-Joshua will do massive box office in the UK, with 80,000 packed into Wembley. That would be a fun fight. It also would be boring as hell, as both huge men would spend most of the night dancing around each other. Or Joshua would run all night if Fury tried to get aggressive with him as he did last night with Wilder.

Hell, let's roll Fury-Wilder back one more time. I wouldn't mind. They're still the two best heavies in the world.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

PK, this smells a lot like the Mayweather vs Pacman foreplay dance. I don't see it happening even with the talk that AJ now wants to fight Fury.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/51611934

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:PK, this smells a lot like the Mayweather vs Pacman foreplay dance. I don't see it happening even with the talk that AJ now wants to fight Fury.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/51611934
Disagree. There's too much money to be made, especially in the UK. Probably won't happen until December of this year or early next year, though.

Mayweather was so concerned about losing his "0" -- his only selling card with the public -- that he marinated the Pacquiao fight until Pacman's skills were diminished. Fury doesn't need to do that. He should be able to beat Joshua now, fairly easily.

Plus I don't think Fury gives nearly as much of a f*ck about his "0" as Mayweather. The Gypsy King still will be big box office, big charisma and one of the top three heavies in the world even if he loses to Joshua. But I also don't see AJ beating Fury.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Joshua
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I like reading behind the scenes stories like these. It gives insight what an up and coming boxer needs to do to prove himself. I’m sure not every boxer takes this road to stardom.

https://www.skysports.com/boxing/news/1 ... atmosphere

I would love to have seen a mature Alvarez vs a Mayweather fight. It’s a shame Alvarez fought him too early in his career.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Excellent find, Rod! Thanks for the link.

Yeah, I wonder about a prime Canelo against Mayweather, too. I still think Money wins, but it's a much tougher fight. Canelo's defense has improved dramatically since that fight, and his fundamentals are SO sound. He also is faster. Still, I think Mayweather's sizable advantages in defense and speed would prevail.

One thing I notice about Canelo in that picture is his sturdy build. I'm assuming his sparring partner also is at 168. Look at the difference in their physiques: The sparring partner has the long, lean, sinewy build of a boxer; Canelo is compact and powerful like an Olympic wrestler. I don't think anyone is going to beat Canelo with a body attack.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

pk500 wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:39 am
Canelo's defense has improved dramatically since that fight, and his fundamentals are SO sound. He also is faster.
I like the quote from his sparring partner. Canelo knows what you are going to do before you do it.

MUTTS
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by MUTTS »

Well I continue to watch boxing whenever I can and find it quite enjoyable going on several years now. However with the different promotions , different federations and multiple titles— it’s near impossible to learn. Watching tonight’s WBA jr bantamweight (super flyweight on wba website) title fight between Franco and Maloney. The WBA lists 3 champions in this weight class-
Roman Gonzalez as super champ, Josh Franco as world champ and someone else as gold champion. What kind of sh*t is that. Why can’t they strip it down- fewer titles. This is worse than every kid gets a trophy. Ok fight experts-help me out

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Tony:

Glad there's another middle-aged white dude out there who still likes boxing! :)

There are FAR too many belts in boxing, one of the sport's myriad problems. And here's why: The public could give two sh*ts about belt holders, but the fighters LOVE belts. They give them legitimacy and something upon which to hang their claims of greatness.

Sanctioning bodies know that, so they create more weight classes and more BS belts to cater to that and make more money. Every time a boxer fights for a belt, the sanctioning body gets a cut of their purse. The more belts, the more money for the sanctioning bodies.

Like nearly all evils in college and professional sport, the root cause is MONEY.

MUTTS
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by MUTTS »

Paul
Whats strange is that as much as I like boxing, I really have zero interest in UFC fighting.
My sons have really enjoyed the couple of times weve headed out to turning stone to watch an hbo card.
Stay safe.
Tony

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

MUTTS wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:08 pm
Paul
Whats strange is that as much as I like boxing, I really have zero interest in UFC fighting.
My sons have really enjoyed the couple of times weve headed out to turning stone to watch an hbo card.
Stay safe.
Tony
You're not alone, Tony. I've been a boxing fan since my grammar school days in the early 70s, but I can't get into MMA (UFC) at all. I've tried. It's boring as f*ck, and I can't stand the rules that allow a guy to be hit when he's on the ground, etc.

I'm not interested in wrestling, kicking or any martial arts. I like good, old-fashioned fists! And a journeyman boxer has better punching technique than all but the very best MMA fighter. Understandable, as MMA guys must train for multiple disciplines. But their inferior punching technique is a FACT.

Let me know the next time you go to the Stone for a card. Fingers crossed it's sooner than later due to COVID. I go to fights there all the time. I'll buy you a beer!

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

The Joshua vs Pulev bout is the "most" complete version of the new AJ i've seen so far, it was total domination. There was speed, aggression, movement as well as patience in this bout on his part. Damn Pulev has a rock hard jaw taking multiple uppercuts in a row before backing off. I can't say if the new and improved AJ would beat Wilder or Fury but maybe losing to Ruiz was a wakeup call to change his style. He now looks like a much better fighter as in hitting without getting hit.

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

That Verdejo and Nakatani fight last night on ESPN was the best fight i've seen in a long long time. If you're a boxing fan, I highly recommend watching it online if you can find it. Lots of "fight of the year" talk this morning.
I'll take boxing over MMA and UFC all day long....
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM