DSP Boxing thread. Ding! Ding!

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: DSP Boxing thread. Ding! Ding!

Post by pk500 »

tjung0831 wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:06 pm
That Verdejo and Nakatani fight last night on ESPN was the best fight i've seen in a long long time. If you're a boxing fan, I highly recommend watching it online if you can find it. Lots of "fight of the year" talk this morning.
I'll take boxing over MMA and UFC all day long....
Amen on all counts, Tim! Good man!
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:23 am
The Joshua vs Pulev bout is the "most" complete version of the new AJ i've seen so far, it was total domination. There was speed, aggression, movement as well as patience in this bout on his part. Damn Pulev has a rock hard jaw taking multiple uppercuts in a row before backing off. I can't say if the new and improved AJ would beat Wilder or Fury but maybe losing to Ruiz was a wakeup call to change his style. He now looks like a much better fighter as in hitting without getting hit.
Disagree completely. AJ is a safety-first fighter now, much like W. Klitschko after he was knocked out for the second time, by Lamon Brewster, and then started training with Manny Steward.

Fury beats Joshua comfortably. It's not close, for many reasons.

One, Joshua will need to move forward and inside to have a chance against superior boxer Fury. AJ won't have the balls to do that because he's so afraid of his glass chin, and rightfully so. Two, Joshua's fundamental defense SUCKS. Yes, he uses his jab. Yes, he moves for a big man. But his head movement is non-existent compared to Fury's, and AJ also hangs his chin in the air, just waiting to get hit. Just because Pulev was so unskilled to hit it doesn't mean it's good defense.

A true champion would have finished Pulev in the third round. AJ didn't have the balls or ability to do it and instead let Pulev hang around for six more rounds. And yes, AJ's uppercuts were impressive. But what top heavyweight would just stand there like a lamp post and let himself get hit with repeated uppercuts like Pulev did? None.

That said, I'm happy boxing Twitter and many fans think AJ is an atomic world destroyer after beating a guy more known for slobbering an unwanted kiss on the lips of a hot female reporter than anything he's done in the ring. That will make AJ's destruction by Fury even more satisfying.

I'm more convinced than ever after watching AJ yesterday that Tyson Fury is the top heavyweight on Earth, by some margin. Fury would beat AJ handily. Hell, Deontay Wilder might be AJ if he catches him with a right. A Wilder-Joshua fight would SUCK harder than a Hoover on max power, too. That bout would consist of nothing but Wilder throwing -- and missing -- wild overhand rights, with Joshua jabbing and moving in fear for 12 rounds. ZZZZZZZ.

There's also a good chance that former unified cruiserweight champion Oleksandr Usyk -- who just moved to heavy -- could beat Joshua despite being 5 inches shorter and 25 pounds lighter. Usyk is a fine boxer, which would give Joshua fits. He also has solid power, which Joshua would fear. Finally, Usyk is a few sandwiches short of a full picnic basket and takes delight in breaking down foes and then destroying them. That would cause AJ to run for the virtual hills in the ring, too, and Usyk is skilled enough to catch him.

Far be it from me to call a 6-7, 245-pound athlete who takes punches for a living a p*ssy, but that's exactly what we have in this version of AJ. It's an effective strategy because AJ is smart enough to know his limitations, which are suspect defense and a fragile jaw. But that strategy won't be enough to beat Fury and maybe even Usyk or secure AJ's legacy as more than a very good heavy from his era.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Thoughts on the upcoming Canello fight?

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:44 pm
Thoughts on the upcoming Canello fight?
Interesting but not competitive.

Interesting, because Smith TOWERS over Canelo in stature and has a far greater reach. But once Canelo breaks down the limited Smith, he will get inside and punish the taller man with relentless body attacks. I wouldn't be surprised to see this fight end in a stoppage either after a barrage of body shots or one or two well-placed shots to the liver or solar plexus.

Smith's best win is over George Groves. Tough guy and skilled among guys on the UK scene, but that's about it. 'Nuff said.

Canelo KO or TKO around Round 8 or 9.

GGG is fighting some stiff tonight. Can't wait to see boxing Twitter light up with hysterical cries of "That's peak 2012 GGG" after he smokes this guy. Uh, no. Golovkin is 38. The peak train left the station a few years ago.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

pk500 wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:50 pm
GGG is fighting some stiff tonight. Can't wait to see boxing Twitter light up with hysterical cries of "That's peak 2012 GGG" after he smokes this guy. Uh, no. Golovkin is 38. The peak train left the station a few years ago.
You were right !

"Gennadiy Golovkin vs. Kamil Szeremeta fight results, highlights: 'GGG' shines in return with TKO victory
Golovkin made it look easy against the Polish fighter on Friday night, setting up a possible trilogy fight with Canelo Alvarez"

https://www.cbssports.com/boxing/news/g ... tory/live/

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

GGG looked fit and sharp. But he fought a stiff for one reason -- to look good and set up a third fight for DAZN with Canelo, which he will lose.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I watched the highlights and the fight pretty much went how you called it, total domination by Alvarez. Good lord, the power and speed of Alvarez and his defense is now uncanny. Man, what I would pay for to watch a fight between Canelo and Mayweather both in their prime. That would be right up there with a Hagler v Hearns bout or Leonard v Duran fight or Pryor v Arguello.

Those were the days. :cry:

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:22 am
Man, what I would pay for to watch a fight between Canelo and Mayweather both in their prime. That would be right up there with a Hagler v Hearns bout or Leonard v Duran fight or Pryor v Arguello.
No, it would not. Don't fool yourself.

All of those warriors you mentioned above were willing to take one to throw one and had an impressive array of styles. Peak Mayweather would stick, move, counter and run against peak Canelo. It would be an incredibly dull fight, just like the Pacquiao-Mayweather fight in which Mayweather adopted the same safety-first, defensive strategy.

To be fair, Mayweather's strategy is/was extremely effective. And it would be enough to beat peak Canelo, who even at his zenith is nowhere near as fast or slippery defensively as Mayweather. Not. Even. Close.

Plus, consider one other fact: Peak Mayweather vs. peak Canelo never would happen because of their size difference. No way Canelo can get to 154 now. His present is 168 and future is 175. He could squeeze himself to 160 for a third GGG fight, but that's it. And Mayweather isn't climbing to 160 or 168 to fight anyone. He walks around the street at 155-160.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Berchelt-Valdez -- WHAT A WAR. If you didn't see it last night on ESPN, find it on ESPN+. Well worth your time.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

pk500 wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:54 am
Berchelt-Valdez -- WHAT A WAR. If you didn't see it last night on ESPN, find it on ESPN+. Well worth your time.
I was about to post a comment regarding Valdez. I only saw the clip of the KO. That dude's got some serious power.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

The world lost Marvelous Marvin Hagler today. One of the greatest middleweights of all time.

If you want to see one of the greatest title fights ever, look up Hagler-Hearns on YouTube. The fight only lasts 10 minutes. One of the most vicious, violent title fights I've seen.

Rest in power, Champ.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

pk500 wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:08 am
The world lost Marvelous Marvin Hagler today. One of the greatest middleweights of all time.

If you want to see one of the greatest title fights ever, look up Hagler-Hearns on YouTube. The fight only lasts 10 minutes. One of the most vicious, violent title fights I've seen.

Rest in power, Champ.
Wow, I did not see that he passed. Damn, he was a hell of a fighter. RIP
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

What a f*cking war last night between Chocolatito Gonzalez and Juan Francisco Estrada last night on DAZN. 115 pounders. Both fighters combined to throw more than 2,500 punches in a 12-round fight. That's more than one punch PER SECOND.

Marvelous Marvin would have approved.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

The Alvarez v Plant has piqued my interest. So Plant is accusing the Alvarez corner of using PED for some time. Canelo's team refutes it. During their press conference they started jawing at each other. Canelo shoves Caleb, then Caleb throws a punch, Canelo counters and leaves a cut below the eye of Plant. Canelo is fast. I don't know much about Caleb Plant but I can't help but see this as a Mexican win. Canelo said during the PC, that he will KO Plant in 8. I don't know if it'll last that long.

The only issue is if the cut to Plant is severe enough that the fight might be postponed. Plant said it's a small cut but others who were there have said the opposite.