DSP Boxing thread. Ding! Ding!

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Jackdog
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jackdog »

Rodster wrote:Oscar needs to retire, it's time and he's had a great career.
No doubt. Wow!! What an asskicking. Manny threw and connected his left at will. I would have loved to see him fight Mayweather. Oh well,bring on Hatton for the next fight of the year.
[img]http://www.ideaspot.net/flags/Big_10/small/mich-sm.gif[/img][img]http://www.ideaspot.net/nfl/NFC_North/small/pack1-sm.gif[/img]

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Larry Merchant is a dickhead. I can't get over his leading, putting words in his mouth type of questions.

Jackdog
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jackdog »

Rodster wrote:Larry Merchant is a dickhead. I can't get over his leading, putting words in his mouth type of questions.
Larry should have retired years ago. He makes HBO Boxing hard to watch. Fire Larry and bring in Teddy Atlas HBO!!
[img]http://www.ideaspot.net/flags/Big_10/small/mich-sm.gif[/img][img]http://www.ideaspot.net/nfl/NFC_North/small/pack1-sm.gif[/img]

dskrizzy
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by dskrizzy »

Wow... Ultimate DOMINATION!

I can boast, but it's not Filipino's style...

In my heart I knew it... He's too good... He deserves all the props in the world...

#1 P4P in the world, Manny Pacquiao...

Really, too easy, we put the work in... SHUT OUT!

We'll beat the s*** out of Hatton, bring on Mayweather!
Viva La Philippines, Mabuhay Manny!

Too easy...

d.

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

I stopped paying for De La Hoya fights years ago. The guy puts me to sleep. Viva no more Oscar (from what I hear)! zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
My Tesla referral code - get free supercharger miles!! https://ts.la/gregg43474

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

What a destruction derby by Manny. He was almost untouched, while Oscar had no answer or no damn idea what Manny was doing.

Not only should this fight end Oscar's career, but it also should remove some of the gloss from Nacho Beristain as a trainer. Against Mayweather, Oscar at least adhered to Freddie Roach's plan for the first half of the fight before abandoning his jab against Roach's wishes. Tonight, Oscar either ignored everything Nacho said, or Nacho had a horrible plan.

Everyone at the fight party I attended said Oscar looked pale and gaunt during the ring entrances. I agree. Plus, the guy entered the ring lighter than Manny. That boggled my mind -- couldn't believe that.

There is absolutely no question now that Manny is the No. 1 pound-for-pound fighter in the world. What a clinic. What a boxer. What a fighter.

I think it's a foregone conclusion that Manny's next destination is a fight at 140 against Hatton. He'll handle Ricky easily, as there's absolutely no way Hatton can handle Manny's speed. Manny is almost as fast as Mayweather and hits harder and is more aggressive, and Hatton couldn't deal with Mayweather.

So, as Krizzy said, that leaves a Manny-Mayweather mega fight for next fall. I think that's a fight that Manny can command. If Mayweather rejects, he'll look like a complete p*ssy because it's a fight the public wants and because it will look like he's ducking a guy who can finally blemish his record.

I'm not sure how Manny would fare against either Margarito or Williams. His speed would give Margarito a lot of trouble, but damn, Tony hits hard. Way harder than Oscar. So if Tony catches Manny, it could be trouble. Both guys like to move straight in, so that fight could resemble rams battering each other atop a mountain until someone drops the big bomb.

Problem is, Tony would make weight at 147 and then probably bulk up to between 155 and 160. That would be tough for Manny to handle.

And the one guy that Manny wouldn't want to face at 147 is Paul Williams. Hell, I don't think anyone at welterweight wants to face Paul Williams. That is one scary mofo: 6-1, speed, a ton of power, a big wingspan. Williams' future is at junior middleweight or middleweight because everyone at welterweight is afraid of him.

Oscar was a great fighter. But his time to hang up the gloves is now. He can do a lot of great things for the sport by leading Golden Boy Promotions and putting together some great fights and unify some belts. His legacy now must come out of the ring because his time in the ring is over.

Manny is the man of the moment, and that moment could last a while. What a performance. What an exciting fighter.

I sure enjoyed tonight. Watching a big PPV fight with my brother, father, four buddies and most importantly, my 7-year-old son for his first live PPV bout, was about as good as it gets, boys. The third generation of boxing fans in the Kelly family is officially launched. :)

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Jackdog
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jackdog »

If Mayweather rejects, he'll look like a complete p*ssy
He is a complete p*ssy. I have no love for that asshole.

Glad to hear about the Kelly Clan boxing party. That's really cool. I hope your son enjoyed all the knockouts tonight.
Last edited by Jackdog on Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

What a one sided fight. I agree, I think this should be Oscar's last bout but with his pride the Golden Boy will try perhaps 'uno mas'. He just looked old, flat footed, was not allowed to jab like he can. Pacquiao showed his true colors, at the end of the fight he said to De La Hoya: 'You're still my idol'.
Last edited by 10spro on Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jackdog
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jackdog »

10spro wrote:What a one sided fight. I agree, I think this should be Oscar's last bout but with his pride the Golden Boy will try perhaps 'uno mas'. He just looked old, flat footed, was not allowed to jab like he can. Pacquaiao showed his true colors, at the end of the fight he said to De La Hoya: 'You're still my idol'.
That was a very classy act by Manny. He's not only a great fighter but a very cool person as well. I'm a fan.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

JackDog wrote:Glad to hear about the Kelly Clan boxing party. That's really cool. I hope your son enjoyed all the knockouts tonight.
Bryce called Jeff Resto a "tomato can" from the back of the room when Victor Ortiz destroyed him in the last undercard fight. The lad is learning fast ... :)

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

dskrizzy
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by dskrizzy »

JackDog wrote:
10spro wrote:What a one sided fight. I agree, I think this should be Oscar's last bout but with his pride the Golden Boy will try perhaps 'uno mas'. He just looked old, flat footed, was not allowed to jab like he can. Pacquaiao showed his true colors, at the end of the fight he said to De La Hoya: 'You're still my idol'.
That was a very classy act by Manny. He's not only a great fighter but a very cool person as well. I'm a fan.
That's how he is bro... He said he got lucky... Who says that nowadays... He's the real deal and someone who I want my kids to admire... I'm so proud right now... You guys have no idea what this means to the 90million plus worldwide.. We are absolutely going crazy... We put on a clinic... The right hook over the left jab... Straight left, too fast... Oscar had zero to answer with... Smaller man beat the s*** out of him plain and simple...

I don't think Mayweather wants any part of Manny... PK is right... He is a puss... There is a reason why he's called the pretty boy... He'll get fed, straight up, finally someone who's as fast or FASTER than him...

Who's laughing now? Not many picked him to win, I know boxing... If Manny were not Philipino I'd still love him, what's not to love? He's evolved so much... Check his previous fights, it's all the same... Even in a loss to Morales in their first fight, he left it out there... All heart and I'm so proud...

Party it up Filipino's, well deserved... Vival La Philippines, Mabuhay Manny!

#1 P4P in the world!

Bless,
d.

Jackdog
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jackdog »

dskrizzy wrote:
JackDog wrote:
That's how he is bro... He said he got lucky... Who says that nowadays... He's the real deal and someone who I want my kids to admire... I'm so proud right now... You guys have no idea what this means to the 90million plus worldwide.. We are absolutely going crazy... We put on a clinic... The right hook over the left jab... Straight left, too fast... Oscar had zero to answer with... Smaller man beat the s*** out of him plain and simple...

I don't think Mayweather wants any part of Manny... PK is right... He is a puss... There is a reason why he's called the pretty boy... He'll get fed, straight up, finally someone who's as fast or FASTER than him...

Who's laughing now? Not many picked him to win, I know boxing... If Manny were not Philipino I'd still love him, what's not to love? He's evolved so much... Check his previous fights, it's all the same... Even in a loss to Morales in their first fight, he left it out there... All heart and I'm so proud...

Party it up Filipino's, well deserved... Vival La Philippines, Mabuhay Manny!

#1 P4P in the world!

Bless,
d.
Congrats brother!! Your right. He's a true sportsman. Humble in victory. That's rare these days. I hope PBF fights him. I would love to see him ugly PBF up a bit. :wink:

Big props to Freddie! He knew speed was the key and they worked on it throughout training. It's great to see him get this win as well.

Jackdog
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jackdog »

pk500 wrote:
JackDog wrote:Glad to hear about the Kelly Clan boxing party. That's really cool. I hope your son enjoyed all the knockouts tonight.
Bryce called Jeff Resto a "tomato can" from the back of the room when Victor Ortiz destroyed him in the last undercard fight. The lad is learning fast ... :)

Take care,
PK
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

He can step in when Lamps retires. Dom will only be interviewed by Bryce when he win's the middleweight title. :wink:

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

One final observation from last night's fight: The tremors from Freddie Roach's Parkinson's Disease looked worse than ever.

Man, I hope medication and exercise can help Freddie stay in the game for a while longer. The guy is a colorful character that boxing needs, he's a great trainer, and I can't imagine anyone else in Manny's corner.

God bless Freddie.

Take care,
PK

dskrizzy
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by dskrizzy »

pk500 wrote:One final observation from last night's fight: The tremors from Freddie Roach's Parkinson's Disease looked worse than ever.

Man, I hope medication and exercise can help Freddie stay in the game for a while longer. The guy is a colorful character that boxing needs, he's a great trainer, and I can't imagine anyone else in Manny's corner.

God bless Freddie.

Take care,
PK
Thanks for this PK, yes indeed, God Bless Freddie!
He as beloved by our people just as much as Manny. Freddie IS a hero back home and rumor has it, he has his share of ladies back home :lol: !
Notice Freddie calling Manny "SON" in the corner, he cares for him big time! No screaming, "your f***in up", very calm, all the time, "deep breaths son", now that is a trainer and teammate!
It's not your usual trainer fighter relationship. Notice I said FIGHTER! Manny is a FIGHTER, who just happens to "box". Floyd is JUST a boxer... People love FIGHTERS!!!!
Manny would not fight without Freddie. I love watching them interact, there is definitely something special there.
I have no voice! Manny was perfect last night, best man won... IMO, Manny was just as perfect against Morales in their 3rd bout, if you haven't watched that, seriously, check it out, perfect for 3rounds... 3rd round was amazing, right hook staggers, then a 10punch combo! Yes, I said 10punch combo, lol. Seriously, check out the Morales/Pacquiao III fight, amazing!

Time for some laundry and watch this SHUT OUT again! Oscar looked like a giant against him... But David kicked his ass!

So proud...

d.

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

Man, I thought Manny would whoop his ass but I didn't expect the towel to be thrown in. I just got done watching the fight couldn't believe how bad Oscar looked. I thought he'd at least put forth an effort. Expect to see the same if Hatton is his next fight.
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Hopefully Oscar does a reality check and retires because he no longer has what it takes. Father time has called and it's time.

I remember watching Oscar destroy the great Julio Cesar Chavez because father time caught up with him as well. So Oscar needs to realize that the same has occurred to him. I've been an Oscar fan since the early 90's and I want him to leave the ring with some dignity.

He has a successful Boxing promotional company which would be better served helping up and coming fighters not having to deal with shady characters such as Don King.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Just a reminder as we descend from the buzz of Manny vs. Oscar: There's a very good world title fight on regular cable TV this Thursday. Steve "USS" Cunningham vs. Tomasz Adamek at 8 p.m. (ET) Thursday on Versus.

This should be an excellent fight for the IBF cruiserweight championship. Cunningham is 21-1 and ranked No. 1 in the division by The Ring; Adamek is 35-1 and ranked No. 2 in the division by The Ring.

Tune in or set your DVR from 8-10 p.m. Thursday night: You'll see two of the best guys in the world just beneath the heavyweight division. With the heavyweights continuing to put on the most boring show in boxing, this fight could be one of the best showcases of big men you'll see all year.

Take care,
PK

grtwhtsk
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by grtwhtsk »

Thanks for the tip PK!

bdoughty
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdoughty »

Mayweathers: Floyd wants to fight Pacquiao

http://www.mlive.com/mayweather/index.s ... _me_t.html

Well his family seems to think so, now if they could just get a hold of Floyds cell number. :D

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

One can only hope.

Manny-PBF would be a great fight both in and out of the ring. In the ring is obvious, but can you imagine the pre-fight smack flying around between Freddie Roach and Floyd Sr. if Floyd Sr. trains his son?

HBO might need to run an entire season of "Mayweather-Pacquiao 24/7" instead of just four episodes!

Manny vs. Floyd would be the best thing that could happen to boxing. I hope that Top Rank and Golden Boy find a date on which there are no other major sporting events so the fight can be the rightful lead story in every paper, on every Web site, on "SportsCenter," etc.

The SEC and Big 12 championship games trumped the fight last weekend, unfortunately. The fight would have dominated headlines if it was scheduled one week later, this Saturday. There's basically nothing going on this Saturday night of any huge national sports importance, right?

Doesn't matter to me, because I'm watching a boxing match over almost anything other than the Oilers. And that's why God invented DVR's. Still, though, boxing needs exposure, and this weekend would have given Manny and Oscar more mainstream sports exposure.

Boxing also needs network TV. I was happy to hear Arum make noise this week about either Top Rank or Golden Boy buying network time for an upcoming big fight and selling commercials and sponsorships to cover the cost and make profit.

Still, I can't see that business model generating anywhere near the revenue of PPV, especially for a fight like De La Hoya-Pacquiao, which had a combined minimum purse of $31 million. Oscar got at least $20 million, Manny at least $11 million.

But boxing needs more network exposure. Until then, there are some talented young fighters only a fight or two away from a title shot fighting almost every week on ESPN's "Friday Night Fights." And you also get the best boxing announcing tandem, Joe Tessitore and Teddy Atlas, describing the action.

Take care,
PK

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

Boxing's reliance on Pay Per View is also a major factor in it's decline. Non-hardcore fight fans have no idea about any of these guys. The 'average' sports fans couldn't pick Mayweather out of line-up. Pretty sad.

HBO's 24/7 is a good start to try & get people involved, but the days of 40 people (men AND women) cramming into a living room for a "must watch fight" (aka Tyson) are long gone... :(
My Tesla referral code - get free supercharger miles!! https://ts.la/gregg43474

dskrizzy
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by dskrizzy »

bdoughty wrote:Mayweathers: Floyd wants to fight Pacquiao

http://www.mlive.com/mayweather/index.s ... _me_t.html

Well his family seems to think so, now if they could just get a hold of Floyds cell number. :D
Yeah, I saw that too, very interesting... Manny is so incredible that he can even bring the Mayweathers back together, LMAO, :lol:
Bring them all together as one big unit, so that they can share the loss and beating Floyd WILL take. I'd love that :wink:

I think the call Floyd made was on pure emotion. He better REALLY think about if he wants a part of Manny. If people didn't know before, they better take notice, Manny is no joke! Oscar thought he could "pick on Manny" as well, and look what happend to him.

Be real careful what you wish for Pretty Boy 8) .

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Watching tonight's IBF cruiserweight title fight between Adamek and Cunningham right now on the DVR. Fourth round certainly is a candidate for Round of the Year ... :)

But what's up with Versus' production? Cunningham goes down at the bell in the second round, and Versus cut to a f*cking commercial! Too bad, as Nick Charles and Wally Matthews do a solid job calling the fight.

Take care,
PK

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

That was a DAMN good fight. The undercard bout was killer, too.

Bring on more Fight Nights of this quality, Versus!

Take care,
PK