DSP Boxing thread. Ding! Ding!

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

That's a good one, Jackdiggity!

Good to see the fight thread revived, boys! The more ring talk, the better.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Fellas:

Here's a GREAT spot to download fights if you use BitTorrent:

http://www.worldboxingvideoarchive.com/

There are TONS of fights in every weight class, going back decades, and current fights are uploaded within hours of their completion. So if you don't want to shell out the bucks for PPV and aren't around to watch fights live through the back door on Justin TV, check it out!

Most of these fights also are ripped in superb quality, perfect for burning to a DVD for your collection, too. I burned the Calzaghe-Jones fight to a disc Sunday morning, and it looked great on TV.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

Jackdog
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jackdog »

pk500 wrote:Fellas:

Here's a GREAT spot to download fights if you use BitTorrent:

http://www.worldboxingvideoarchive.com/

There are TONS of fights in every weight class, going back decades, and current fights are uploaded within hours of their completion. So if you don't want to shell out the bucks for PPV and aren't around to watch fights live through the back door on Justin TV, check it out!

Most of these fights also are ripped in superb quality, perfect for burning to a DVD for your collection, too. I burned the Calzaghe-Jones fight to a disc Sunday morning, and it looked great on TV.

Take care,
PK
That's a link I can use! Thanks bro.
[img]http://www.ideaspot.net/flags/Big_10/small/mich-sm.gif[/img][img]http://www.ideaspot.net/nfl/NFC_North/small/pack1-sm.gif[/img]

Jackdog
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jackdog »

Taylor schooled Lacy Saturday night. He should fight Kessler next. I would add that one to our list PK.
[img]http://www.ideaspot.net/flags/Big_10/small/mich-sm.gif[/img][img]http://www.ideaspot.net/nfl/NFC_North/small/pack1-sm.gif[/img]

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

JackDog wrote:Taylor schooled Lacy Saturday night. He should fight Kessler next. I would add that one to our list PK.
Yep. Downloaded it but haven't watched it yet. Downloaded the Haye fight, too. Still have Abraham-Marquez from two weekends ago to watch, too! :)

Take care,
PK

Jackdog
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jackdog »

pk500 wrote:
JackDog wrote:Taylor schooled Lacy Saturday night. He should fight Kessler next. I would add that one to our list PK.
Yep. Downloaded it but haven't watched it yet. Downloaded the Haye fight, too. Still have Abraham-Marquez from two weekends ago to watch, too! :)

Take care,
PK
Post your thoughts on the Haye fight. I enjoyed it,but I don't think he's ready to take on Klitschko at 218.

Jackdog
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jackdog »

Oscar De La Hoya vs Manny Pacquaio on Saturday night.

I think Oscar wins. They both will weigh in at 147 but De La Hoya is going to be around 160 lbs when the bell rings. Manny has never fought above 135.
Concern for Pacquiao, a national treasure in the Philippines, has even drawn the interest of politicians, disturbed that the sporting icon could be beaten senseless by a man, in natural terms, who belongs three weight divisions above.

Thomas Hauser, the boxing writer and biographer of Muhammad Ali, has charted the two fighters' weights by age and year, and there have been times when De La Hoya clearly has more than a 2 stone advantage.

Indeed, after today's weigh-in, which Pacquiao will meet easily, De La Hoya is likely to go from the 147lbs limit to around 160lbs in the intervening 30 hours before the prize fighters square off.

Pacquiao (47-3-2, 35 KOS) has never fought above 135, and only once at that weight, lightweight, stopping David Diaz in the ninth round in June this year to win the WBC title. De La Hoya started as a lightweight. Yet that was back in 1992.

Fights where the smaller man has won do exist, yet the bigger man, unlike De La Hoya, has not been as fleet of foot as their lighter opponent. Roy Jones Jr came from supermiddleweight to defeat heavyweight John Ruiz, and Ruslan Chagaev weighed 90lbs less than Nikolay Valuev, the giant 7ft 1 ins Russian, and inflicted his only career defeat to date.
As I see it, Pacquiao, the all-action fighter, the crowd pleaser, the risk taker, will start well, yet this remains a dangerous fight for him, in which he could get knocked out.

Pacquiao has been knocked out twice in his career, the last time by Eric Morales at superfeatherweight (130lbs), three years ago.

He is likely to come out all guns blazing, yet will be broken down by the superior size and strength of De La Hoya by rounds 9 or 10, and stopped. If Pacquiao wins, it will be a major upset. Regardless of who loses, they both leave the rind adding millions of dollars to their name.

The two fighters, one the most popular pay per view fighter in the America, the other the world's No 1 pound for pound fighter and an icon ion the Philippines meet at welterweight 147lbs, on Saturday, at the MGM Grand, Las Vegas.

Pacquiao has come up three weight divisions this year to meet De La Hoya.

De La Hoya is coming down one weight division.

1995 – DLH 135lbs Pac 108lbs Differential 27lbs
1998 – DLH 147lbs Pac 113lbs Diff 34lbs
2002 – DLH 154lbs Pac 121lbs Diff 33lbs
2004 – DLH 158lbs Pac 125lbs Diff 33lbs
2008 – DLH 150lbs Pac 132lbs Diff 18lbs
2008 – DLH 147lbs Pac 147lbs.

Dec 6, MGM Grand, Las Vegas, the fighters meet at welterweight.
I really think Oscar will knock him out. Manny should have stayed away from this fight.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

I'll take the counterpoint here, Jack-diggity. I think Manny can win.

Manny weighs 152 right now, according to Freddie Roach. So he also will be heavier than 147 on fight night, just not as heavy as Oscar. Manny's biggest concern shouldn't be Oscar's weight advantage -- it should be Oscar's height (4 inches) and reach (7 inches) advantage.

Still, Oscar has been a part-time fighter the last four years. Manny has fought a lot and fought a much higher level of competition. Manny has fought nine times in the last 3 1/2 years, and six of those nine bouts have come against Erik Morales, David Diaz, Juan Manuel Marquez or Marco Antonio Barrera.

De La Hoya has fought just three times in the same time span, against Mayorga, Mayweather and Forbes. And he looked less than impressive against Forbes, who tattooed his face way too often.

I know Oscar is in good shape -- 24/7 has proven that. But we'll see what his debut with Nacho as his trainer will bring. Change can help; just look at Hatton's destruction of Malignaggi with Floyd Mayweather Sr. in his corner after a career with Billy Graham. But it also can hurt. Oscar and Nacho never have been to those "dark places" -- as Teddy Atlas calls them -- together, so it will be interesting to see how Nacho and Oscar interact in the corner if their plan goes off the rails during the fight.

Meanwhile, Freddie Roach and Manny are a longtime team. Freddie knows Manny inside and out and has been with him to those "dark places." They know how to adapt if a plan goes askew. That's a big edge for Manny, I think.

Manny will need to attack right away. He can't afford to feel out Oscar in the early rounds since speed and work rate are such a big edge for Pac Man. I don't think Manny can knock out Oscar, but he can set the stage for late-round success with a furious output in the early rounds.

An early Manny barrage could confuse Oscar and have both he and Nacho wondering in the corner how they can cope with Manny's speed. That speed and work rate also could blunt the effectiveness of Oscar's best punches, his jab and left hook. That's why I think Angelo Dundee was stressing so hard to Oscar to "dictate the fight, do everything first" during 24/7. Oscar can't let Manny get off first and dictate the tempo.

It's very possible that Oscar could score a knockout or TKO, and I don't think Manny can do the same to Oscar. But I think Manny can outpoint Oscar and win a split decision.

That's my prediction: Pacman in a split decision. He'll go on to fight Hatton in spring 2009, with the winner taking on either De La Hoya or a returning Mayweather in a huge-money fight in late 2009.

Can't wait for this fight. Hell, I get jazzed for an ordinary card on Thursday nights on Versus or any ESPN "Friday Night Fights" card, so I've been thinking about this showdown almost non-stop all week.

In the words of the immortal Mills Lane, "LET'S GET IT ON!" I'll call you either before or after the fight, or maybe both!

Take care,
PK

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

JackDog wrote:Post your thoughts on the Haye fight. I enjoyed it,but I don't think he's ready to take on Klitschko at 218.
Sorry -- forgot about this! Watched this fight, and either of the Klitschkos would destroy Haye, I think.

Haye is quick, but he has defensive deficiencies that W. Klitschko would expose easily. He just got hit too often by Barrett, who is a solid but not great fighter.

Eventually, W. Klitschko would find a few openings and chop down Haye fairly easily.

Take care,
PK

Jackdog
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jackdog »

That's my prediction: Pacman in a split decision. He'll go on to fight Hatton in spring 2009, with the winner taking on either De La Hoya or a returning Mayweather in a huge-money fight in late 2009.
After watching Hattons last fight I would love to see Pacman fight him. Mayweather Sr has gotten Ricky to buy into his training. He looked good.

Freddie is pissed at Nacho so that added to the fun of watching 24/7. I wish Teddy Atlas would get back into training. If so,we would move to where his gym is. :wink:

Talk to you soon.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

JackDog wrote:Freddie is pissed at Nacho so that added to the fun of watching 24/7. I wish Teddy Atlas would get back into training. If so,we would move to where his gym is. :wink:

Talk to you soon.
"I don't like Nacho. He's an asshole. He disrespected me."

That segment with Freddie was my favorite of this edition of 24/7 so far! :)

Man, 24/7 is showing that Oscar and Manny are REALLY getting after it in the gym. The training that these guys endure is grueling as hell and requires monk-ish discipline, another reason why I love the sport.

Take care,
PK

Jackdog
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jackdog »

pk500 wrote:Freddie is pissed at Nacho so that added to the fun of watching 24/7. I wish Teddy Atlas would get back into training. If so,we would move to where his gym is. :wink:
"I don't like Nacho. He's an asshole. He disrespected me."

That segment with Freddie was my favorite of this edition of 24/7 so far! :)
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I hope Frddie's health holds out. I love that guy.
pk500 wrote:Man, 24/7 is showing that Oscar and Manny are REALLY getting after it in the gym. The training that these guys endure is grueling as hell and requires monk-ish discipline, another reason why I love the sport.

Take care,
PK
No doubt!!

dskrizzy
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by dskrizzy »

Man... HUGE FIGHT!!!! Been a minute PK, JackDiggity!!!! Good to see boxing still has a spot in some folks heart!!!!
As a Filipino, this fight is obviously HUGE for us... I haven't been able to sleep properly for the last 2weeks, lol. Obviously Manny is a big inspiration to all Filipino people worldwide and a hero to me.

24/7 sure does a great job in hyping up the fight... How funny were the Buboy segments? LMAO! Really entertaining stuff! Although the meeting up at the track is SOOOOO staged, lol!!!!

Firstly, gotta love Freddie, what is not to like about that guy...
"Hey Ladies"... Greeting Oscar and Company at the track, LMAO!

I've played this out in my head many times... Manny has a lot going AGAINST him this fight, he'll have to be on point and fight almost a perfect fight to win... Despite that, I really do think he can and will pull it out...

Some thoughts...

Oscar struggles against lefties... His best shot, the left hook (fighting orthodox but still naturally left handed) is not as effective as it is vs a southpaw. The right hand counter (which is the natural shot/counter vs a southpaw) is what troubled Manny against Marquez. I'm sure Nacho made this point many times. Thing is, Oscar's right hand is not in the same class as his left, far from it. Freddie tried to improve it when he trained him for FMJ, but it was a lost cause according to him... He basically just throws the right so to set up the left. Sure Manny will not be mistaken for Sweet Pea, but he is a lot more slick and elusive than the mass's give him credit for, his footwork is crazy! He's improved drastically since his arrival on the scene with the Barrera blow out or Ledwhaba if you go back that far...

Can Manny take Oscar's punch? My one huge fear, Oscar still has a HUGE left hook!!! If so, it could be a long night for Oscar.

Is Manny too small? Is it, speed kills? Or does the rule a good big man beat a good smaller man hold true here? We will find out...
People who don't follow Manny religiously think Manny is moving UP in weight... Technically that is true, going from 135lbs to 147lbs... But, what people don't realize is that Manny walks around 150lbs-155lbs between fights lately... He is coming down in weight too... Still, he is NOT a natural welterweight, but the disparity in size/weight will not be as big a factor as many make it out to be imo. It's the reach that is what Manny has to deal with.

Is Oscar capable of keeping the storm from across the pacific off of him for 3minutes of every round? Oscar is known to fade, it is his trademark... If he does not have the stamina the chance of him being stopped is a reality even by the "smaller" Pacquiao...

I agree about the Dark Places comment... Not just in the corners but in the training... Oscar uses accupuncture, kelp powder, nutritionalists... Manny trains with a stick being repeatedly hitting him on his abs and arms and just simply works HARD! He said he does the stick work for the mental training more than toughening up the muscles, wow...
Oscar doesn't need a trainer or corner man, he simply just needs someone to give him water, he doesn't listen. Had he continued to jab against FMJ he would have won, was it Freddie's fault he stopped jabbing? Should he lose, he'll just blame Nacho like he normally does. According to Oscar he never lost a fight ever!

Oscar did look good at the final segment of 24/7, the first episode he actually looked decent imo. He is still Oscar and even a 35yr old Oscar is dangerous. He was throwing the right hand counters in those small scenes. Training camp it's easy to do, but in the fight, people more often than not, go back to what they are familiar and comfortable with.
But imo, he's fading and not the same dude, I would not want our Manny in with a prime Oscar, but this is not the same Oscar anymore.

Things to look out for imo... Keep an eye on Oscar "recklessly attacking" (as Nacho said in I think, episode #2) and trying to attack and bully the smaller man... Manny is not known as a counter puncher, but again, if you follow him you will know he is pretty darn good at it. The first knockdown in his 3rd fight with Morales was when Erik tried to press Manny and attack him... Manny just used his feet and out of range, once Erik stopped punching, Manny measured him with the right to get the distance and WHAM, left to the ear, and down he goes by a counter... The knockdown against Marquez in their 2nd fight, again, from a counter punch, short crisp left and again, down he goes, it was the difference in the fight... Same with the KO punch against Diaz... Again, counter punch that put him down and out... See a trend here? Manny is known for his aggressive style everyone knows that, but he is WAY more of a counter puncher than he is credited for. He will still attack, but WILL be more of a counter puncher this fight.

Keep an eye out for Manny's right hook over the left jab, I really do feel, yes, we will still attack... But most of the work we get done is after slipping/parrying or blocking the jab following Oscar's lead... We will not attack until we've dealt with the jab. Manny has great feet and good head movement to get past the jab...

If the light hitting Forbes can touch Oscar and break his orbital bone like he did, what more with Manny? Slick or no slick, Oscar should have gotten the natural 140lbs Forbes out of there, plain and simple! He is Oscar, no? He looked $hit in that fight and if that is his best, it could be a long night for him. Forbes is good boxer, but he ain't no Manny Pacquiao...

I can see us winning... I can see Oscar's size just being too much for Manny as well... But in the end, I just see Oscar not having "it" anymore and he ages once and for all in front of our eyes... IMO, Manny will be spinning him around like a top darting in and out and Oscar not fast enough to get him. The body shots will take the legs out of from under the Golden Boy... Oscar gets tired fighting @ a normal pace, Manny does not fight at a normal pace... I can see us cautious but still attacking after slipping the jab in the beginning... If we can get that "health meter" (video game term, lol) down and Manny senses it if the fight goes into deeper waters, they will step it up!!!!

Weigh in coming in a couple of hours.... I'm f***INg amped!!!!

Here is a good article by Doug Fisher from Maxboxing after visiting the Wildcard Gym and seeing Manny in training... Talks about strategies etc... Informative stuff, http://maxboxing.com/Fischer/Fischer112008.asp

Before I jet I will leave you with this...

Oscar said he is fighting to pay Pacquiao back for the double contract signing... He will make him pay for not going with Golden Boy...

Manny is fighting for over 90million Filipino's worldwide... Nuff said!

Go Manny!!! Win or lose, you will always be our #1, "The Peoples Champ"!

Viva La Philippines, Mabuhay Manny!

d.

LETS GET THIS $HIT STARTED!!!!!

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Great post, Kriz. Glad to see there's another lover of the sweet science here!

Take care,
PK

Jackdog
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jackdog »

pk500 wrote:Great post, Kriz. Glad to see there's another lover of the sweet science here!

Take care,
PK
No doubt man. Great post!! You have me rooting for Manny. Without a doubt Manny will be bringing it all night. If he doesn't get caught,he will outwork Oscar to win a spilt decision. 20 hours to go!!

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

I woke up around 5 a.m. today, eager with anticipation for this fight. Honest to God.

I don't even do that on Christmas anymore!

Take care,
PK

dskrizzy
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by dskrizzy »

Thanks Jack and PK... Been a minute since I've had any interaction with y'all... Leave it to the sweet science to bring us together again...
I feel ya PK, I didn't sleep well at all, lol... I don't think many Filipinos slept too well last night, lol.

Weigh-in was interesting... Oscar looked gaunt, a bit dried out, imo... There was is a bit of controversy that Manny an hour b4 weigh-in was @ 145.5lbs in the hotel room... An hour later w/out doing nothing he is 142lbs according to the official scale... There was a huge delay b4 they got on the stage. Rumors are flying that Oscar had to shed some poundage.
http://www.gmanews.tv/story/137922/Pacq ... -differenc

There could be a bit of shadyness, lol, gotta love professional boxing, hahaha!

Edwin Valero who was brought in by Golden Boy to spar, has opened up on his experience @ big bear. According to him, Oscar did not work as hard as he would like everyone to believe.

http://www.gmanews.tv/story/137920/Form ... -black-eye

If so... Someone is in big trouble... I'd love for Oscar to bloat up to 160lbs and be even slower, he will be a walking pylon for the ever quick Pacquiao...

I'm so stoked... I can't see us losing... But winning convincingly, Manny is fighting for all the right reasons... I'm so proud of him...

win or lose, he will always be to us "the peoples champion"!!!!

LETS DO THIS!!!! Mabuhay Manny! Bless!

d.
Last edited by dskrizzy on Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Oscar claimed after the weigh-in yesterday that he would gain to only around 150 tonight. We'll see. If Manny gains 5 pounds, that would put him right at 147. But I doubt he'll gain that much since he's coming up in weight.

I was really surprised to see Oscar come in at 145; I thought he would be right at 147. If Oscar really was overweight yesterday, then he cut some serious weight very quickly. Team Golden Boy better have hydrated him like a mofo today or he's going to run into some dehydration issues if the fight goes deep in rounds tonight.

I'm sticking by my prediction: Manny in a split decision!

Take care,
PK

dskrizzy
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by dskrizzy »

Thing is we won't know what Oscar comes in at for the fight. He refuses to provide that information to HBO.

All this is hearsay. It's no secret, I'm for Pacquiao... But the fact is Manny has his share going against him this fight, which is why he is the underdog. Even a 35yr old Oscar has a lights-out left hook, I know that.
Manny will have to be on point tonight for sure.

"IF" the rumblings are true and Oscar didn't work as hard in training as one should against someone like Pacquiao and he did have to do a significant cut or not eat for wed/thurs... I can see him being stopped. I know Manny put his work in absolutely no doubt he worked HARD!

"IF" all Oscar has left is what he showed in the Forbes fight @ 150lbs, straight up, Manny will beat the $hit out of him...

HBO Crew chimes in... Wow, Emmanuel Steward says Manny hits harder!
http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?Ar ... egoryId=69

I really think and believe Manny can stop him...

We'll find out soon enough... Nervous and excited!

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Hopefully i'll be watching the fight tonight Live for free on P2P. Oh yeah ding ding ding. :lol:

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster:

You don't even need P2P. Some dude on justin.tv always carries the big PPV and HBO non-PPV fights in a Flash-streamed format.

That said, I'm going to my brother's house for a fight party, where I will actually chip in and help pay for this one. Please keep all gasps barely audible! :)

This will be my 7-year-old son's first big fight on PPV. My wife and I agreed that he could go to the party, even though the fight won't end until midnight, if he took a nap this afternoon. He was so stoked, since he really is starting to enjoy boxing like his old man, that he took a two-hour nap.

Ding-ding, it is! :)

Take care,
PK

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Usually, when I follow a boxing match of this magnitude, I tend to have a favourite. Not this time, two very likeable guys. De La Hoya is a legend, and even though they weighted in similarly he's got to be at least 10 pounds heavier going into the fight tonight, not to mention his reach and that will I think become a main factor tonight.

Love Pacquiao, quick, powerful and can hurt you from different angles. Oscar has to keep jabbing (will he take his patented time offs in between rounds?) at this small dude, because Pacquiao can really surprise you with his speed. Even though De La Hoya has won six different titles, I always get this feeling that he's not content or rather feeling complete with himself for not winning against Hopkins and Mayweather.

Hatton will have his eyes wide open on this one, my heart say Manny but I think Oscar will get this one in the end.

grtwhtsk
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by grtwhtsk »

It's all Manny.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

What an embarrassment/major ass kicking by Oscar. Did Oscar even come to fight? :roll:

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Oscar needs to retire, it's time and he's had a great career.