FIFA 08 Demo Impressions

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

seanmac31
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by seanmac31 »

RobVarak wrote:Alright, I've given this game a hell of a fair run now. Still sucks. (That's with a nod and a wink to the NHL 08 thread :) )

Seriously, there are parts of a fun game here, but the controls are just not acceptable to me. I really wanted to be sure that I un-learned some of my WE biases before judging this game, and I feel like I've given it a hell of a lot of time to do so. I got used to some of the quirky things, but there remains a sense of lack of response in the controls that I've grown tired of trying to overcome.

Last years WE had some flaws, and with the steady improvement of FIFA I really wanted this to be the year that I feel FIFA is as good as or better than Konami's offering. Unless they take a step back from last year's WE, I don't think this is likely to be the case for me.
Everyone has their own experience, but I find the control significantly tighter than WE, and I played the hell out of WE. It's much easier to pull off skill moves, it's easier to pass into space effectively (with everything set to manual), and it's easier to alternate speeds and to beat defenders off the dribble. Not only are the graphics much better, but in this case they improve the functionality of the game (much as WE's animations in the previous gen improved it functionally). The simplicity of slowing down and turning, covering the ball and then suddenly flicking it out into space to split the double team coming at you is unmatched.

Honestly, I thought WE's control kind of sucked on the 360, both in terms of player control and especially passing. I don't know if it's a function of my using the analog stick instead of the D-pad and Konami doing a lousy job with the analog stick, but I know that my WE experience almost always included multiple passes that went in completely the wrong direction from where I intended them, and the skill moves were completely irrelevant to single-player play. The only thing worse than the passing was the shooting. But again, different people have different experiences.

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

RobVarak wrote:Alright, I've given this game a hell of a fair run now. Still sucks. (That's with a nod and a wink to the NHL 08 thread :) )

Seriously, there are parts of a fun game here, but the controls are just not acceptable to me. I really wanted to be sure that I un-learned some of my WE biases before judging this game, and I feel like I've given it a hell of a lot of time to do so. I got used to some of the quirky things, but there remains a sense of lack of response in the controls that I've grown tired of trying to overcome.

Last years WE had some flaws, and with the steady improvement of FIFA I really wanted this to be the year that I feel FIFA is as good as or better than Konami's offering. Unless they take a step back from last year's WE, I don't think this is likely to be the case for me.
I feel the same thing about the controls. Far too sluggish. As a result, you miss a lot of opportunities that would have been there had your players done what you wanted them to.

The thing I love about WE is that I can react to plays and movements instantaneously. With FIFA, I feel like I'm walking in quicksand. Mind you, it makes for a better slow-paced midfield build up (with is tougher to accomplish in WE), but it hurts the game overall.

I'm hoping the retail version has a slider for pass and player speed. Could be a solution to the demo's shortcomings. It's a shame though- because the game does a lot of things right.

Boltman
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Boltman »

I'm not going to type much for a footie game. I will say this however, me and my son played quite a few matches over and over and we thought it was great.

I loved the demo, cant wait for it to come out, as much as many people still do not like EA's effort again this year. I know for sure that I am done with PES/WE.

I hate having to DL shite just for everything to be proper, EA seems to have most of the licensing in place. That plus an improved game (to me at least) is enough for me to go over to the "dark side".

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Boltman wrote:I'm not going to type much for a footie game. I will say this however, me and my son played quite a few matches over and over and we thought it was great.

I loved the demo, cant wait for it to come out, as much as many people still do not like EA's effort again this year. I know for sure that I am done with PES/WE.

I hate having to DL shite just for everything to be proper, EA seems to have most of the licensing in place. That plus an improved game (to me at least) is enough for me to go over to the "dark side".
When I read comments like yours it gives me hope for this game.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

If they do the team online thing for this game and it has a lot of participants (are they going to allow gamers on North American servers to play people on other continents), I will look into getting this game.

Otherwise, I'm wary of goal games -- less scoring so more randomness beyond the player's control, generally.

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

fanatic wrote:

I feel the same thing about the controls. Far too sluggish. As a result, you miss a lot of opportunities that would have been there had your players done what you wanted them to.

The thing I love about WE is that I can react to plays and movements instantaneously. With FIFA, I feel like I'm walking in quicksand. Mind you, it makes for a better slow-paced midfield build up (with is tougher to accomplish in WE), but it hurts the game overall.

I'm hoping the retail version has a slider for pass and player speed. Could be a solution to the demo's shortcomings. It's a shame though- because the game does a lot of things right.

And after trying the pes2008 demo the control is even tighter your players act quicker its even better.

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

Jimmydeicide wrote:
fanatic wrote:

And after trying the pes2008 demo the control is even tighter your players act quicker its even better.
I know...I just downloaded it about a half hour ago. A great sense of control and the ball speed is much improved from last year.

However this is a fifa thread so I don't want to get too of course. I think it could be a great game if things are sped up a bit in terms of control.

WillHunting
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by WillHunting »

Tried 2 games in demo (PS3). I like it alot, but the control did feel slightly unresponsive. I enjoyed it but probably going to stick with the old WE for now.
+++++++++++++++
Gamertag: The Praxis
+++++++++++++++

dougb
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dougb »

Playing the the pc fifa 08 demo and after 5 or 6 games I'm seeing some potential issues.

First problem is that the opposing AI players will run up the field dribbling the ball and push it too far ahead, allowing my defenders to simply step up and pick up the ball or kick it away. Now this was happening with players such as Messi, Henry, Ronaldhino and company, so this looks like it could be a major problem. While players of that calibre might have a really poor touch of the ball now and then, its simply happening to much.

Through balls and crosses have been altered, and it seems like the auto passing is set to ensure that most through balls are passed straight to the defense. It's absolute rubbish and highly annoying. Crosses appear to have been completely f*cked up since it appears you have to be facing parallel to the goal to avoid have the cross go out of touch over the end-line.

PC graphics still appear pixelated - no excuse for this on the system I have. That graphics engine is long overdue for retirement.

One good thing is that the ball physics are slightly better. Crosses appear less floaty.

Overall, very dissappointed (but not terribly surprised) by the lack of effort EA has expended on the PC version. PES/WE supposedly uses the next generation engine for the PC version so I'll most likely be playing that alone.

Doug
"Every major sport has come under the influence of organized crime. FIFA actually is organized crime" - Charles Pierce

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

The stock PC version has always been average. It's not until you add the wonderful WEP mods as well as the NK Football mod. That's when the game comes alive.

That's what i'm waiting for. Last years game was average until you applied the mods and then it was game on. :)

dougb
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dougb »

Rodster wrote:The stock PC version has always been average. It's not until you add the wonderful WEP mods as well as the NK Football mod. That's when the game comes alive.

That's what i'm waiting for. Last years game was average until you applied the mods and then it was game on. :)
To some extent I agree with you, although even the best gameplay mods cannot completely address the core AI and physics problems in the game. And one really has to wonder how much effort EA puts into the game when part time modders can greatly improve the quality of the gameplay and simulation.

Doug
"Every major sport has come under the influence of organized crime. FIFA actually is organized crime" - Charles Pierce

Afrodamus
Mario Mendoza

Post by Afrodamus »

wco81 wrote:are they going to allow gamers on North American servers to play people on other continents
I played a kid from Peru last year on this game and the connection was silky smooth...I believe competition will be available worldwide

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

dougb wrote:
Rodster wrote:The stock PC version has always been average. It's not until you add the wonderful WEP mods as well as the NK Football mod. That's when the game comes alive.

To some extent I agree with you, although even the best gameplay mods cannot completely address the core AI and physics problems in the game. And one really has to wonder how much effort EA puts into the game when part time modders can greatly improve the quality of the gameplay and simulation.

Doug
No arguments Doug. For the FIFA faithful it satisfies them including myself as I have been playing the series since '96. There have been some good years and many bad ones in between. I think EA has brought the series back to respectability. Now it's a matter of taste whether one likes the current FIFA or prefers the gameplay from Konami's Football games. Neither game is perfect and there are things to like and dislike from both.

I know for a fact i'll be getting both FIFA 08 (360/PC) and PES 2008 when it's released Stateside early next year. :D

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

You know to say that both game have problems therefore FIFA isn't so bad is a cop out.

FIFA is no where near as close as FIFA fans would like to believe. FIFA for the longest time was an arcade title. FIFA has moved closer to WE but its still far away.

WE and FIFA might be getting extremely close on scoring and ball physics. But its all the other stuff where FIFA stills falls far short. Off the ball player movements. Positioning to fill gaps or mark man. The lead up to putting the ball in for a scoring chance or the way the AI will attack.

If we were to compare the demo, WE gets most of the soccer stuff right. FIFA still has the same dumb things in it. Last yera's WE was a drastic step back from WE on the old consoles. FIFA 360 was a step back from the great effort they put out on the old gen. The closest FIFA ever got to WE was FIFA 07.

After time with the demo, FIFA is still missing all the extras WE has had for years. Maybe the ball physics and scoring chances are getting more dynamic but the rest of the game needs work.
[url=http://sensiblecoasters.wordpress.com/][b]Sensible Coasters - A critique of sports games, reviews, gaming sites and news. Questionably Proofread![/b][/url]

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

JRod wrote:You know to say that both game have problems therefore FIFA isn't so bad is a cop out.

FIFA is no where near as close as FIFA fans would like to believe. FIFA for the longest time was an arcade title. FIFA has moved closer to WE but its still far away.

WE and FIFA might be getting extremely close on scoring and ball physics. But its all the other stuff where FIFA stills falls far short. Off the ball player movements. Positioning to fill gaps or mark man. The lead up to putting the ball in for a scoring chance or the way the AI will attack.

If we were to compare the demo, WE gets most of the soccer stuff right. FIFA still has the same dumb things in it. Last yera's WE was a drastic step back from WE on the old consoles. FIFA 360 was a step back from the great effort they put out on the old gen. The closest FIFA ever got to WE was FIFA 07.

After time with the demo, FIFA is still missing all the extras WE has had for years. Maybe the ball physics and scoring chances are getting more dynamic but the rest of the game needs work.
JRod it's not a cop out because I enjoy both games warts and all. If you like Konami's game better and you happen to think FIFA is utter crap, it's not a big deal. Enjoy PES 2008 and I mean that sincerely.

As I said before I happen to like the gameplay style of both Football games. And they should be different in style because there would be no sense in buying both. I personally feel FIFA has made some significant strides and it all started with FIFA 2004. But like I said I plan on buying both and having a lot of fun with both as well. Maybe i'll see you on the pitch and we can play some matches with whichever game you get. :)

seanmac31
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by seanmac31 »

JRod wrote: After time with the demo, FIFA is still missing all the extras WE has had for years. Maybe the ball physics and scoring chances are getting more dynamic but the rest of the game needs work.
It's true- until FIFA's players start walking around the pitch like they have crabs, they'll never catch up.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

A FIFA 08(360) update for everybody but JRod j/k. :D

http://www.fifasoccerblog.com/

FSB EXCLUSIVE: Your FIFA 08 Next-Gen Questions Answered
Posted by Chris Davies at 14:36

Over the last few days we've asked in several communities for your questions about the final version. Thank you all for your questions and your support, we do this for you, and here are your answers. Again, please do not copy and paste this article, please link to the original source.

*Is the responsiveness of the players improved?*
Response time is literally twice as fast in the retail version.

Do lower-league defenders play like Premier League defenders?
Defensive AI is noticeably improved. If you are Barcelona v Red Bulls, you can get through them and they will make mistakes, but they are professionals so only occasionally - take your chances when you get them. HOWEVER (and this is my personal favourite news), if you play a lower-league team you will find them all over the place. We've played a career game, and when we were up against Newcastle (on Professional) we lost 1-0. Then we played Sheffield United in the cup and we won 3-0. So the AI differs enough to make it realistic; in the league it's a struggle, in the cup against a worse team you can smash them if you concentrate.

Is goalkeeper AI improved?
In a lot of matches on the game we haven't seen a goalkeeping bug yet, so GK AI looks improved over the demo.

What about goalkeeper animations?
The way that goalkeepers dive for shots is incredibly realistic, there are such a huge variety of animations that it looks totally authentic. The game as a whole is easily the most realistic looking football game, animations-wise, that we've ever seen. From the Tele cam, it looks almost real to see players running about and goalkeepers stretching to reach a difficult shot.

What are the framerates like, on PS3 and 360?
From what we've seen so far there's absolutely no framerate issues any more, in-game, in cut-scenes or in replays.

Are there any differences between the PS3 and 360 versions?
From what we can see, absolutely none.

Is the game too easy?
Legendary mode is almost impossible, anyone who masters it is either a prodigy or a robot; it is barely even possible to touch the ball. So if you found the demo easy, you will love this. If you found it too hard you can select a lower difficulty though - thankfully!

Can you play European games in the manager mode?
Not in your first season, but we've heard from several sources that you do play in Europe if you qualify at the end of the season.

Are there any blonde players (in the demo blonde players like Kahn have black hair)?
Yes there are - the lighting effects sometimes make the hair look a bit more brown than they should, but players like Liverpool's Torres look accurate.

Can the CPU score on the final game (in the demo you could give them an open goal and they would miss by a mile)?
Yes, on Professional the CPU has put several goals past us, in several games. They don't go easy on you if you let them in.

Does the CPU still perform constant pinpoint tackles (even if they tackle from behind they get away with it in the demo)?
Absolutely not, I'm glad to say. Within three matches there was even a CPU player sent off - as Liverpool we were passing the ball about trying to time-waste, and Everton's McFadden went for Carragher like he was trying to do a Roy Keane. Straight red card, no messing.

Is every pass from the CPU perfect (do they ever overhit a ball and watch it go out of play)?
On professional we have noticed a definite improvement from the demo. When playing a Premiership team, around 60% of the passes are spot-on in their accuracy, 20% you can intercept if you move at the right time and get between players, and 20% are poor.

Does this differ depending on the team you're playing?
Well when we played Liverpool v Sheffield United they just kept pumping the ball upfield - and most passes were off-target. So it does differ greatly!

Is the atmosphere/crowd noise improved over the demo?
In general it is around the same compared to the demo, but when playing in famous grounds the effects are incredible. We played at Anfield and the crowd sing real-life chants which really add to the atmosphere, but what really pleased us was the way that, when there is a rivalry (e.g. Liverpool v Everton), the fans constantly sing and shout, the noise is very loud - it feels like a real derby match, and when you're on the counter-attack the fans go absolutely crazy!

Have the graphics improved from the demo?
Yes, the demo was limited to 720p but the final version of the game can be played at 1080p on Xbox 360.

Are there Wednesday-night matches in the manager mode?
Yes, cup matches are usually on Wednesdays.

Can you do transfers?
Yes, you can - these only work offline though, otherwise it would be mayhem online (players filling teams with their favourite players). There is usually an official transfer update around January however, which works online.

Can you tell us more about the differences between the big teams and the small teams?
As you go further down the league system it becomes very hard to string passes together. Plus, this year, being home or away makes a big difference. Defenders from the lower-leagues don't mess about either - no inch-perfect tackles, they will just take you out.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Wonder why the overall AI on the gameplay was not addressed, but just the goalkeeper.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Well if that's true color me interested. That would fundamentally change almost the entirety of the gameplay IMO.
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

Jared
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jared »

RobVarak wrote:
Well if that's true color me interested. That would fundamentally change almost the entirety of the gameplay IMO.
Agreed. Especially since the pace of the PES demo is like soccer on crack...

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

My pre-order arrived today - the day before release, which is always nice - and while I'd agree that it's more responsive, it didn't feel like anything that would fundamentally change anyone's opinion of the game. What I really should do, though, is play the demo and full release back-to-back with the same teams to check that out further, and I haven't done that.

Impressions from my brief playtime so far are that it plays pretty much identically to the demo in semi-pro mode, and that I'm far too worried about having my arse handed to me on a plate to even try any mode higher than that just yet. If you're playing with a lower league side (and my avatar is probably more than enough to show you that I am), you'll be glad to hear that this release contains a more complete squad list for those sides, at least for the teams I've checked. My beloved Hartlepool United has its entire first team squad included.

Be A Pro: Offline Training is really, really good fun. I think, though I've not read the manual, that you can't alter your line-up pre match and so if your favourite player is on the bench in the default squad, you're screwed as far as controlling him goes. There are icons to show where you should be stood, whether you might want to ask for a pass (though the AI is good at passing to you if you're well placed), where your team mates are, whether or not you're offside and who you should be marking if you're defending, so it's difficult to get too lost, and the icons and reasonably intelligent camera make it fairly easy to work out where everybody is. The AI is probably prone to holding on to the ball for a little too long in Be A Pro games before passing, though they don't seem to have the same issue when shooting (trans: I keep losing).

Being a Poolie as I am, I'm used to EA giving my team the second class treatment, but this year the two things I've been most impressed by so far have been to do with their lower league presentation. The game prompts you to pick a favourite team on startup, and when you first arrive at the team select screen before a match it's assigned your favourite team to you and given the CPU control of your biggest rivals, so I had a local derby against Darlington set up automatically, which impressed me more than it probably should have done.

The 25 yard half-volley I scored to claim a 1-0 win in that particular Be A Pro match was sweet enough that I punched the air as it went in, and the replay was both convincing and fabulous to watch as the ball dipped and swerved beyond the 'keeper into the top corner, but what I really liked was what happened afterwards. The PA announced the goal. League One front-runners playing League Two leaders, and they've recorded all the bloody player names. "The scorer for Hartlepool United, in the 73rd minute, number eight, Ritchie Humphreys!" I punched the air again, in the way that people tend to when they're immersed in a live match rather than sat in front of their XBox forgetting that they aren't really Ritchie Humphreys.

But anyway. I'm enjoying it, but I enjoyed the demo too, and I'm really not sure there's anywhere near enough difference to make this worthy of purchase if you didn't enjoy that demo. However, take that for what it's worth after about 90 minutes of play - it's not exactly a definitive verdict. If there's anything about the retail version that anyone wants to know or wants me to check, shout up and I'll see if I can help out.
XBox Live and PSN Gamertag: theycallhimsim

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Thanks for the impressions Simo much appreciated. I liked the demo even though I found it tough as nails. Shoot me a friends request. I plan on picking up the 360 version when it's released in the US. Hopefully we can have a good kick about. :)

gamertag = Rodster360

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Eurogamer Reviews FIFA 08 and they like it. :D

"So there you have it, FIFA 08 is, on the whole, a triumph. Had the Be A Pro features been more fleshed out and the lower difficulty settings somewhat more forgiving, then it would undoubtedly have scored a 9 rather than an 8. However, thanks to the promise of the former feature, multiplayer games that are little short of superb (due to the lack of AI defenders thwarting your every attack), the usual exhaustive array of official league and cup competitions and some stunning visuals and animations that milk next gen power for all it's worth, it very much feels that the FIFA franchise is genuinely teetering on the cusp of greatness.

So, to finish off, we come to the inevitable question. PES or FIFA? Well, perhaps the most pertinent point here is that FIFA 08 now feels more like an alternative to PES rather than a direct rival, due to its slower, more considered and realistic approach.
The two series feel very much like they're on opposite ends of the spectrum now, with both possessing a host of merits, but ultimately providing two very different experiences. Maybe it's time we stopped torturing ourselves about which is better and started thinking about what kind of footy experience we're looking for, then make our decisions based on that instead. Now there's a thought..."

8/10

davet010
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by davet010 »

Just booted it up on me PS3, early impressions are quite positive - but flippin' eck it's tough, even at lower levels.

Started a management game with the mighty Man City, beat Reading 2-0 at home then got blobbed 4-2 by Wigan away, conceding 3 in the first 20 minutes and was always struggling after that. Both games were on semi pro, 8 mins per half.

Good points

Control is nice, you can win tackles without sliding in depending on the player involved (I had Hamann and Johnson winning tackles all over in midfield, but they are both slow so they struggled to join the attack in time), squads look reasonably accurate and the pacing feels good.

Bad points (at the moment)

Control is not too intuitive, although I have been playing PES6 for a while, so it may just be that.

Difficult to draw defenders out of place, even Titus Bramble looked tactically aware

Foul count was low.

But, i was enjoying it even when getting beat, so it seems to have some life to it yet.

More later on this weekend, unless I crack and download the FM2008 demo on Sunday :wink:
"The players come from all over the world, the money from deep underneath the Persian Gulf, but, as another, older City poster campaign put it, this is their city. They may now exist in the global spotlight, but they intend to keep it that way."

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Another FIFA 08 (X360) Review

http://www.fifasoccerblog.com/

Graphics - 8 - Nice stadiums, kits and animations only let down by some of the faces and the crowd could also be improved upon. Some of the lighting could also do with being reworked but all in all a very good looking game.

Sound - 9 - Great atmosphere inside the grounds and very good commentary provided by Tyler and Gray, who apart from the odd balls up now and then, capture the match scenario very well.

Presentation - 8 - Not much wrong but the amount of menus may prove daunting for some.

Gameplay - 8.5 - Plays a very good game of football, some people may find the response difficult to adjust to and the simulation experience may not be for all.

Longetivity - 9.5 - With a host of official tournaments, user creatable ones, online games and leagues, the comprehensive manager mode and the innovative BE A PRO mode there's enough to keep even the most hardcore player occupied till the next installment.

Next Gen worthiness - 9 - An odd category I know, but an important one however in my opinion, many games failto utilize the power of next gen consoles but EA IMO with the redesigned game engine are really pushing the boundaries in football games, adding many more calculations etc to make a more realistic experience for us all.

OVERALL - 8.7 - A great effort by EA and it now IMO has the definitive football game on the market. A massive step up from it's predecessors and it's deep gameplay combined with steep learning curve serve up a football fans treat. A few extras here and there could have made this a solid 9 but an 8.7 is still a great score. The best thing is that EA are listening and communicating with us fans and gamers alike and are constantly striving to improve the product and it's not inconceivable that by the next installment we may have gaming perfection for a football title.