NHL 2K8 (360) Impressions.

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

MLB 2k7 was a slider fest, but I love the feature to use someone's by going online and dowloading them (NHL 2k8).

I actually saw sweat going down players faces in a game tonight.. wild stuff!

The game is really fun to play this year - AFTER you get some decent sliders going.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

ddtrane wrote:
10spro wrote:When I lower the speed of the game to zero or one I tend to have more goal scoring while keeping the pass assist off and the accuracy at around 72.
Where do you go to lower the game speed? I've been looking and can't find any option for that. TIA
Go under game styles and select view/edit. Take it from there.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Another thing.. board play is great in this game.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

MizzouRah wrote:Another thing.. board play is great in this game.
Agreed. Including faceoffs and Superstar moves (best I've seen in any hockey game), I enjoy my games as much as NHL 08 for different reasons. However, I don't like how the slapshot is configured and I am still experiencing the odd choppiness when I choose to shoot it that way.

I think when people complain about the new control scheme, is that it doesn't have the same intuitiveness like 08, but as far as I know it responds rather well (check the kick to stick move) except the slapshot for me.

In summary, what I see here is that 2K has progressed a bit in terms of last year's product but EA has jumped in bounds compared to 07.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

10spro wrote:
MizzouRah wrote:Another thing.. board play is great in this game.
Agreed. Including faceoffs and Superstar moves (best I've seen in any hockey game), I enjoy my games as much as NHL 08 for different reasons. However, I don't like how the slapshot is configured and I am still experiencing the odd choppiness when I choose to shoot it that way.

I think when people complain about the new control scheme, is that it doesn't have the same intuitiveness like 08, but as far as I know it responds rather well (check the kick to stick move) except the slapshot for me.

In summary, what I see here is that 2K has progressed a bit in terms of last year's product but EA has jumped in bounds compared to 07.
For me, EA went overboard.. but I can understand those of you who love it.

Sully
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sully »

Mizzou, what exactly do you mean by "the board play is great"? Is it pinning? I've read from several others that cycling the puck is non-existent. To a certain extent, I consider that board play.

I'm trying so hard not to open this game. I like some things I hear, but some other things have me thinking that what's bugged me so much about this series in the past is still present.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Sully wrote:Mizzou, what exactly do you mean by "the board play is great"? Is it pinning? I've read from several others that cycling the puck is non-existent. To a certain extent, I consider that board play.

I'm trying so hard not to open this game. I like some things I hear, but some other things have me thinking that what's bugged me so much about this series in the past is still present.
Yes, pinning is in the game. I have a rental until tomorrow, so I can't from memory tell you the button presses - but I know you can switch players and what not and I see it a few times each game.

I did have my first lockup today. Goalie held the puck, whistle blew, he dropped the puck and the ref chased it all the way down the ice, then the game froze.

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

For me here's the difference in cycling the puck for the two games.

In basketball you pass around the ball around the perimeter to break down the inside game or drive the lane. For the most part you could pass the ball around for the entire 24 seconds if you wanted to.

NHL 08 is like that. You could cycle the puck around for a very long period of time. The CPU plays so passive that it doesn't cut off these lanes nor does it attack the puck to pressure the player to make a bad player. Part of the culprit is shoe string accurate passes. You just never miss a pass. And players are always in control of the pass, you never see a player not take control of a pass unless they are shooting the one time. And if you get in trouble you can make some really silly passes out to the point and start all over.

NHL 2k8 does this better. As its really tough to maintain possession for a long period of time on attack. I can still cycle so I don't know why people think that's an issue. It's just not like tossing it around the perimeter easy.
[url=http://sensiblecoasters.wordpress.com/][b]Sensible Coasters - A critique of sports games, reviews, gaming sites and news. Questionably Proofread![/b][/url]

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Using the "sim" style setting, all star, 7 min periods - penalties all the way up and puck/ice friction down a notch or two, this game is playing pretty well for me right now.

Speaking of pinning, saw an instance where I had a guy tied up on the boards and another one of my players came to help out, so there was two of us pinning a player to the boards.

I like the fact there is so much action going on and after many more games, I think it's NHL 08 who has a rink that is too big and NHL 2k8's seems spot on. (might be the camera angle in NHL 08 as I didn't try a closer camera)

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

My first impressions are fairly positive, but I am hardly seeing any penalties as well with the slider on default or 100. I just played two straight games where I did not have a power play and in a handful of games I may have been on the power play 5 times. The controls aren't nearly as bad as I expected. Goal variety is the best in the series, but still well behind EA. I agree about the hits, but there is more play in the neutral zone and along the boards. I'm in the camp that the rink is too small but EA's too big. Given the choice I'd prefer too big.

It's good enough that I want to play more, doesn't seem good enough to replace NHL08 in the long run, and if I have a lot more games without at least a few penalites then I won't keep it long regardless of how good it plays.

Bill_Abner
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Bill_Abner »

For those who are playing franchise mode, does fatigue seem right to you? My entire team is almost totally exhausted 15 games into the season. I've stopped doing any practice/training on off days and my players do not seem to be recovering. Federov looks like he's about to pass out. Young guys, too. Zherdev, a notoriously fast player, looks like a turtle on the ice right now. I scratched Zherdev for a game, didn't make him practice, and after 3 days he's still 3/4 red with fatigue.

I look around the league and some CPU teams show high fatigue and some no zero fatigue. I just played the Kings, who have no players with ANY fatigue level at all and they skated circles around me. I lost 5-1 and I am certain a big reason for that was due to being 2 steps slow because my guys are all tired.

Anyone else see this?
No High Scores:
http://www.nohighscores.com/

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Bill_Abner wrote:For those who are playing franchise mode, does fatigue seem right to you? My entire team is almost totally exhausted 15 games into the season. I've stopped doing any practice/training on off days and my players do not seem to be recovering. Federov looks like he's about to pass out. Young guys, too. Zherdev, a notoriously fast player, looks like a turtle on the ice right now. I scratched Zherdev for a game, didn't make him practice, and after 3 days he's still 3/4 red with fatigue.

I look around the league and some CPU teams show high fatigue and some no zero fatigue. I just played the Kings, who have no players with ANY fatigue level at all and they skated circles around me. I lost 5-1 and I am certain a big reason for that was due to being 2 steps slow because my guys are all tired.

Anyone else see this?
I haven't started my franchise yet Bill, but I have read about this. I'll keep an eye on it once I start my franchise this weekend.

btw, what sliders have you tweaked?

marino
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Post by marino »

Bill_Abner wrote:For those who are playing franchise mode, does fatigue seem right to you? My entire team is almost totally exhausted 15 games into the season. I've stopped doing any practice/training on off days and my players do not seem to be recovering. Federov looks like he's about to pass out. Young guys, too. Zherdev, a notoriously fast player, looks like a turtle on the ice right now. I scratched Zherdev for a game, didn't make him practice, and after 3 days he's still 3/4 red with fatigue.

Anyone else see this?

It has to do with your team's schedule. If you are playing a lot of games with not many off days, your team will be fatigued. As for the other teams ,check their schedule, you are probably playing them after they had some days off between games.

Bill_Abner
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Bill_Abner »

Well, I know that a lot of people are torn on this one, but I'm just having a blast with this game. I get plenty of penalties, plenty of quality goals, etc. Yeah, too many hits, but I'm still have a helluva lot of fun with it.

Here's some snapshots I took from my last game against the Sharks. I can live with this. (These shouldn't be too big)

No High Scores:
http://www.nohighscores.com/

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

Bill_Abner wrote:Well, I know that a lot of people are torn on this one, but I'm just having a blast with this game. I get plenty of penalties, plenty of quality goals, etc. Yeah, too many hits, but I'm still have a helluva lot of fun with it.
What the hell is your problem, playing the game and having fun?!??! Aren't you supposed to be listing its failings, here?!!

:wink:

I need to rent this.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Bill needs to upload his "style" so we can check out his settings.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

MizzouRah wrote:Bill needs to upload his "style" so we can check out his settings.
Yeah, he does. I've been having a ton of fun with the game, but I'm still getting almost no penalties. I've tried the penalty settings between 93 and 100. I am 6 games (8 min periods) into my Pens season and I think I have 8 power play attempts in *total*! Raising the penalty level only seems to put me in the sin bin more.

The control scheme is still kind of awkward, but you get used to it quick. I actually prefer it in some ways because I never accidentally shoot when I'm indending to stick handle. Hits are a bit over the top even on the lowest level, but at least I'm willing to trade it for realistic CPU forechecking and agressiveness.

I strongly suggest a rental and at least 10 games before judging. It will take me a little while to determine if I like it because it is a great game or just because it's "different" after playing NHL 07/08 to death, but at the very least its the best 2K hockey offering ever IMO. The goalies are finally realistic and scoring is varied without the game turning into a one-timer fest. This game is my "surprise" of the year so far. I'm still keeping NHL 08 around though for multiplayer (if I ever get the time to play online, that is) and a change of pace.

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

If anyone don't already know, the demo for 2K8 dropped this week.

Tried it and just hated the new control scheme. Why would they change this after all these years? Passing with the left bumper feels very awkward and how the heck do you do a slapshot? I didn't see it anywhere on the controller diagram? The game speed on the demo seems way too fast, so it's a bit hard to judge the game without having the abiity to turn that down. I finally switched back to the classic control
scheme and that was better, but I still wasn't sold on the game. After about 3 times with the demo, I popped in NHL08 for comparison and life was good again :) It's just hard to beat that game this year. EA really outdid themselves this time. I actually liked last year's 2K hocket game better than this years.

grtwhtsk
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by grtwhtsk »

Jack, I think you have to hold the left trigger down when shooting for a slapshot.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Hold the R bumper and then press the L trigger.

In the full verison there is a very nice practice mode.

HockeyJock
Mario Mendoza

Post by HockeyJock »

Hey guys! I just downloaded the demo and I can't seem to get my defenseman to skate backward in their own zone or on the forecheck.
Last year I think the left trigger was the skate backward button.

Is there a a skate backward button this year with the new control scheme?

Thanks!!!!
Gamer Tag: HockeyJock

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

JackB1 wrote:If anyone don't already know, the demo for 2K8 dropped this week.

Tried it and just hated the new control scheme. Why would they change this after all these years? Passing with the left bumper feels very awkward and how the heck do you do a slapshot? I didn't see it anywhere on the controller diagram? The game speed on the demo seems way too fast, so it's a bit hard to judge the game without having the abiity to turn that down. I finally switched back to the classic control
scheme and that was better, but I still wasn't sold on the game. After about 3 times with the demo, I popped in NHL08 for comparison and life was good again :) It's just hard to beat that game this year. EA really outdid themselves this time. I actually liked last year's 2K hocket game better than this years.
Jack I think i've read that the game allows you to use the old controller scheme. You might want to check into that.

warnerwlf98
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by warnerwlf98 »

HockeyJock wrote:Hey guys! I just downloaded the demo and I can't seem to get my defenseman to skate backward in their own zone or on the forecheck.
Last year I think the left trigger was the skate backward button.

Is there a a skate backward button this year with the new control scheme?

Thanks!!!!
The default skate backwards command is LT+RT. It's sort of like a toggle. To stop moving backwards, execute another command or move forwards (I can't remember). In the full version, you can change it back to the way it's always been - just the LT.

The mapping change basically switches 2 functions - skate backwards and kick the puck to your stick. Default, it's LT only for kicking the puck and it's LT+RT for skate backwards - you can change which command does which.

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

I just picked this up on a rental. Any necessary slider tweaks you folks would recommend?

I've been playing out of the box sim (on pro, until I get used to the controls) and the only HUGE thing I noticed immediately is that the speed burst is far too effective. I need to knock that one down immediately. Other than that, hitting hasn't been bad at all yet (probably the low difficulty level) and I'm very impressed with the goalie animations and goal variety.

The controls are just ridiculously inelegant, though, and a bit overdone. I'm not quite sure why we need a deke, superstar dekes, kick to stick-dekes, and stick handling dekes, but hey, we have options! :)

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

webdanzer wrote:I just picked this up on a rental. Any necessary slider tweaks you folks would recommend?

I've been playing out of the box sim (on pro, until I get used to the controls) and the only HUGE thing I noticed immediately is that the speed burst is far too effective. I need to knock that one down immediately. Other than that, hitting hasn't been bad at all yet (probably the low difficulty level) and I'm very impressed with the goalie animations and goal variety.

The controls are just ridiculously inelegant, though, and a bit overdone. I'm not quite sure why we need a deke, superstar dekes, kick to stick-dekes, and stick handling dekes, but hey, we have options! :)
Web, I had to switch to the classic control scheme. I just couldn't get used to passing with the left bumper, while maneuvering my skater with the left stick. I just felt completely awkward. Why 2K would change the control scheme after all these years is beyond me. "Changing just for change sake" is moronic. It's not like the new scheme is more intuative.