NHL 2K8 (360) Impressions.

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

NHL 2K8 (360) Impressions.

Post by 10spro »

I had the chance to buy it either at EB or Future Shop but since FS was offering the game for 10 bucks less along with a free Hockey cap it was a no brainer. First thing I did was to familiarize myself with the new control scheme by training and I am not quite sure if this is such a big issue because in the end I thought I liked it better than the classic control of 07.

Get your hand close at all times to LB and you can't go wrong. The skating engine hasn't change which is great and the puck physics as good as it gets. Bounces are realistic and you have to be sharp. Skilled players are than much quicker than a grinder and more so when you use the sprint button (that's one area you'll have to tinker with).

The graphics are OK, without owning NHL 08 yet. I am pretty sure that EA has this department all on its own. However the animations are great to see, especially the new goalie animations (check the butterfly saves).

I played two games. One on Pro and the other one All Star. I had a nice SO vs the Ducks playing Vancouver 2-0 and the SOG were very realistic. This is one area that bugged me in 2K7 and older versions.

On AS, I thought the CPU was a bit more aggressive like hitting and bumping you off the puck more often but not as much as 2K7. There's a lot of more tic-tac-toe passing too, and I wish they would shoot more often. I lost 3-1 but more importantly the CPU did not score any of those goals on a one timer. In fact with the new control scheme, you'll find it a bit awkward to try a one timer, by the time you decide to do so, an opponent will be there to bump you off. The slapper is a bit concerning to me however. It seems that the frame drops a bit and some stuttering happens as you finish winding up your shot. I wonder if some of you have the same experience. Maybe it's not an issue with the classic format, I don't know, I havent' tried it.

Another thing I didn't quite like is the new menu presentation in its horizontal format, now that you have to get use to. Lousy. Camera angle is not as good as last year IMO. While not necessarily bad, I am still uncertain whether to use the default one or 3/4, one thing for sure I'll need to lower the Zoom slider.

Faceoffs are very realistic, it took me a little time to get use to it but goof around too much with your stick and you get kicked out.

So there you have it. 2K8 plays a fine game of Hockey, do yourself a favour and train yourself to the new scheme before you try a game. Not that it's difficult but we've been accustomed to the older control for so long. Lower the speed and sprint slider eight to 12 notches and see how you like it. But we'll leave that for another thread.

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

WillHunting
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by WillHunting »

Thanks for the impression, I am deciding which game to ask for my birthday in November :)
+++++++++++++++
Gamertag: The Praxis
+++++++++++++++

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

Are all the games still 1-0 or 2-1? The lack of high scoring games once in a while irked me with 2K7. Any more goal variety? So they got rid of that great dynamic, moving camera from last year? That was the best thing about last year's game.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

JackB1 wrote:Are all the games still 1-0 or 2-1? The lack of high scoring games once in a while irked me with 2K7. Any more goal variety? So they got rid of that great dynamic, moving camera from last year? That was the best thing about last year's game.
Yes, I was dissappointed that they left the isometric camera out. But again using the default parametric angle this year is not too bad except that the camera angle followed the action better last year. I only played a couple of games, too early to find out about scores, but overall I found the game fun, season mode looks cool cause you can control all the teams and it also has the salary cap.

Also went online and they have a roster update already.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

1up.com gives it a 4.0? Sounds like another game where people don't quite know how to handle it.

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

10spro wrote:
JackB1 wrote:Are all the games still 1-0 or 2-1? The lack of high scoring games once in a while irked me with 2K7. Any more goal variety? So they got rid of that great dynamic, moving camera from last year? That was the best thing about last year's game.
Yes, I was dissappointed that they left the isometric camera out. But again using the default parametric angle this year is not too bad except that the camera angle followed the action better last year. I only played a couple of games, too early to find out about scores, but overall I found the game fun, season mode looks cool cause you can control all the teams and it also has the salary cap.

Also went online and they have a roster update already.
The review on IGN says the isomotion camera is still there, but it's just not the default this year. Is that true?

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

JackB1 wrote: The review on IGN says the isomotion camera is still there, but it's just not the default this year. Is that true?
I would have to check again tonight. The default one is called parametric, there was also a 3/4 camera angle, an overhead angle and side view. The action view is gone and I am guessing at this point so is the isomotion.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

Do you think I need to get Orkin in here?
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

At least it's a good review. I still want to see this game in action.

seanmac31
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by seanmac31 »

1UP should be ashamed of themselves for their incredibly unprofessional review. This is a very good game. The only problem is that it isn't quite as good as NHL 08, which is arguably the game of the year. I can see what 2K was thinking with their new control scheme- the Pro Stick feels great, better even than NHL 08's, and you do have a tremendous amount of control. Deking with the stick is very satisfying. The problem is that there are a lot of controls, not that they are ill-conceived. NHL 08 might not have quite the same feeling of precision, but it achieves a nearly identical effect with an incredibly elegant control scheme. But the graphics are excellent, the goal variety seems good, and the camera is top notch.

I was expecting a rehash of NHL 2K7 with clunky controls, but that's not 2K8 at all. The game is certainly worth a purchase if you are open to having more than one hockey game.

Sully
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sully »

Would those of you with the game say it's a significant improvement over last year's game?

seanmac31
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by seanmac31 »

Sully wrote:Would those of you with the game say it's a significant improvement over last year's game?
Yes.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Hockey and Futbol videogames are my two favorite. I may have to check this out. It's been a while since I bought a 2K Hockey game. I wish 2K would post a demo. :(

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Sully wrote:Would those of you with the game say it's a significant improvement over last year's game?
No. After a couple games...I was bored. I didn't play much of 07 last year because I played the hell out of 2k7. It just seems stale to me. Sure, new controls...but it plays the same game of hockey.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Significant. No. A progress though in the right direction, I still think a lot of people complain about the new control mechanics but I like it. The CPU doesn't rely on one timers as much. Once you get used to the new controls it plays a fine sim game of Hockey.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Without a doubt, 100 percent, 2K8 is a better hockey game than NHL 08......on the PS3 that is. With the framerate at a constant 60fps on 2K8, I now know what I'm missing playing NHL 08 on the 360. What a huge huge difference playing this game with a nice smooth flow. I now can not wait for NBA 2K8 on the PS3.

Why the developers decided to make the controls so cumbersome on 2K8 is beyond me. They should have just copied EA, and I probably would have given this game more consideration.

It plays a decent game of hockey. Goalie animations are much better than they were a year ago.

Playing D in this game is much much better than NHL 08. Did I emphasize "much".?

For the most part the computer controlled one timers are a thing of the past. I saw a heck of a lot more slap shots and wristers.

The game plays pretty erratically as it's end to end action all game. It feels more arcade than sim than it ever has. Not necessarily a bag thing.

Seriously, how could this have been scored a 4? That's a pathetic score, and the reviewer should be disciplined. This game is much closer to a 7.5 or 8.

It's definitely a nice second option for any hockey gamer. It's probably fallen below EA, but only on the 360. But that's expected as this is 2k's second go round for the PS3. No excuses for EA next year! None!

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

double post
Last edited by sportdan30 on Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Someone on OS claims that all games are penalty free even with the penalty slider set to 100. Can someone confirm this? I'm actually tempted to give this game a try on the 360.

warnerwlf98
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by warnerwlf98 »

Rodster wrote:Someone on OS claims that all games are penalty free even with the penalty slider set to 100. Can someone confirm this? I'm actually tempted to give this game a try on the 360.
People on 2khockey.net have posted that they average 5 penalties a game. Due to the limited time I have, I just muck around in free skate. I have only played one game - at a penalty slider value of 100 and had no penalties. Could be a fluke, but I don't know.

It could be a problem, just like the CPU (controlling any team) in CHoops 2K7 shooting > 80 % at the line.

Bill_Abner
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Bill_Abner »

Rodster wrote:Someone on OS claims that all games are penalty free even with the penalty slider set to 100. Can someone confirm this? I'm actually tempted to give this game a try on the 360.
I can confirm that that particular claim is BS, yes. Lower than what it should be? Maybe a bit. But penalty-FREE? No. Not at all. I see about 2-4 per game on 10 min periods.
No High Scores:
http://www.nohighscores.com/

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Thanks for clearing that up Bill.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

sportdan30 wrote:Without a doubt, 100 percent, 2K8 is a better hockey game than NHL 08......on the PS3 that is. With the framerate at a constant 60fps on 2K8, I now know what I'm missing playing NHL 08 on the 360. What a huge huge difference playing this game with a nice smooth flow. I now can not wait for NBA 2K8 on the PS3.

Why the developers decided to make the controls so cumbersome on 2K8 is beyond me. They should have just copied EA, and I probably would have given this game more consideration.

It plays a decent game of hockey. Goalie animations are much better than they were a year ago.

Playing D in this game is much much better than NHL 08. Did I emphasize "much".?

For the most part the computer controlled one timers are a thing of the past. I saw a heck of a lot more slap shots and wristers.

The game plays pretty erratically as it's end to end action all game. It feels more arcade than sim than it ever has. Not necessarily a bag thing.

Seriously, how could this have been scored a 4? That's a pathetic score, and the reviewer should be disciplined. This game is much closer to a 7.5 or 8.

It's definitely a nice second option for any hockey gamer. It's probably fallen below EA, but only on the 360. But that's expected as this is 2k's second go round for the PS3. No excuses for EA next year! None!
Glad you're enjoying it! Both games were good last year as well.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Yeah, there is no way this game is a 4. It's a solid 8 without a doubt. I still don't think it gets all the nuances like 08 does, but that's really bad, it's just different.

I didn't play 08 for a day, and played 2k8 exclusively...and had a very good time with it. It does a few things better (defensively, goalie animations), but it's not a better overall game on the 360. The skating doesn't seem nearly as precise as 08. It just feels like your hand is connected to the skates in 08 and there is a slight disconnect when controlling the 2k8 players. If 08 was like last year, 2k8 would own them, but the improvements in animations and skater control in 08 are damn near perfect.

So it's not like either game is bad at all...I just think 08 is a little better representation for a guy who doesn't pay all that much attention to hockey to know the strategies involved in hockey. I watch it casually, but there is no way I'm as big of a fan as most of the guys in here.

BTW, who the hell decided on these controls? It's damn near the exact opposite of everything we have ever played in the past. That's just not a smart design decision if you ask me.