OT: Alive Day Memories - Home From Iraq

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

OT: Alive Day Memories - Home From Iraq

Post by JackB1 »

Anyone else catch James Gandolfini's documentary on HBO?
You can actually watch the whole thing online at:

http://www.hbo.com/aliveday/thefilm/? n ... main_image

It was extremely sad and difficult for me to watch, but something that everyone should see. Shows the horrors of war and and the trials and tribulations facing all the injured soldiers, both physically & mentally, as they return home from Iraq. Sad thing is that from the looks of General Petreaus' latest assesment, there are no plans of getting out of Iraq anytime soon, so there will be many, many more young men and women coming home wondering how they will live the rest of their lives with no arm & legs. I dare you to watch this and not shed some tears. There's got to be a better way.....

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

:roll:

This thread will end badly...Jack starting another War related thread. Everyone duck...

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

I stopped watching HBO ever since I saw posters for the network at my local amusement park.

EDIT: Being serious, cool that this is now online. I've wanted to see this, but I never caught it.

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

dbdynsty25 wrote::roll:

This thread will end badly...Jack starting another War related thread. Everyone duck...
And another one in the never ending line of Db posts that add zero to the discussion and only confirm what an ass he truly is.
Last edited by JackB1 on Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Better than being a hypocrite. You excel at that.

How many "I will stay out of threads that deal with war or politics" statements are you going to make before you actually do it? Let alone start new ones your f*cking self. Are you just stupid? Better start a thread for the answer...I don't know if you can answer it yourself.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

webdanzer wrote:I stopped watching HBO ever since I saw posters for the network at my local amusement park.
:D :D :D

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

Take it to pm's guys.

Does anyone know if this is available On Demand?
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

ScoopBrady wrote:
Yes it is and I highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't seen it yet. Probably the most moving and emotional documentary on Iraq I have seen yet.

Jackdog
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jackdog »

JackB1 wrote:
ScoopBrady wrote:
Yes it is and I highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't seen it yet. Probably the most moving and emotional documentary on Iraq I have seen yet.
No offense brother,but you can see and talk to men and women like that everyday at any VA facility. If you do and speak to them about pulling out,you had better be talking about sex. I haven't seen this yet,but I know Gandolfini's stance. We at WWP heard about this over a year ago. We got in touch with Gandolfini and he passed on doing anything with us. He decided to cherry pick which wounded he would interview. Enough said.

This is the kinda s*** that happens in War. Any Vet that has fought in combat see's this kinda s*** all the time. WWII Vets. Korean War Vets and Vietnam Vets. This is nothing new.

This war has been going on long enough that the soldiers that join up know exactly what they are getting into. I lost a leg and almost died. I don't wonder about how I am going to live my life,I just do. Is it hard. f*** yes! But unless I want to crawl into a corner and eat a bullet I live my life the best I can. The great thing about that is, I am alive. I get to spend my day's with my family and friends. I get to try to help soldiers adjust. I get to hang with America's best at The Wonded Warrior's Project. It is what it is.

I could go on but we have been to this dance before. I am now going to sit the rest of this one out. :wink:
[img]http://www.ideaspot.net/flags/Big_10/small/mich-sm.gif[/img][img]http://www.ideaspot.net/nfl/NFC_North/small/pack1-sm.gif[/img]

bkrich83
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bkrich83 »

JackDog wrote:
No offense brother,but you can see and talk to men and women like that everyday at any VA facility. If you do and speak to them about pulling out,you had better be talking about sex. I haven't seen this yet,but I know Gandolfini's stance. We at WWP heard about this over a year ago. We got in touch with Gandolfini and he passed on doing anything with us. He decided to cherry pick which wounded he would interview. Enough said.

This is the kinda s*** that happens in War. Any Vet that has fought in combat see's this kinda s*** all the time. WWII Vets. Korean War Vets and Vietnam Vets. This is nothing new.

This war has been going on long enough that the soldiers that join up know exactly what they are getting into. I lost a leg and almost died. I don't wonder about how I am going to live my life,I just do. Is it hard. f*** yes! But unless I want to crawl into a corner and eat a bullet I live my life the best I can. The great thing about that is, I am alive. I get to spend my day's with my family and friends. I get to try to help soldiers adjust. I get to hang with America's best at The Wonded Warrior's Project. It is what it is.

I could go on but we have been to this dance before. I am now going to sit the rest of this one out. :wink:
Well said as usual JD.
-BK

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Got a Fuente Opus X with your name on it, Jackdiggity...when we gettin' together, brother?
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

Jared
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jared »

JackB1 wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote::roll:

And another one in the never ending line of Db posts that add zero to the discussion and only confirm what an ass he truly is.
Don't be so sensitive....this was a funny post, since your war threads tend to turn into flame wars. Not that this is completely your fault...it has more to do with the topic than anything else.

DB does cross the line sometimes...but this wasn't an example of it. Please keep it calm.

TheHiddenTrack
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Post by TheHiddenTrack »

JackDog wrote:
JackB1 wrote:
ScoopBrady wrote:

Great post but I don't see how this documentary is a bad thing. While this has always been part of war some people who put a sticker on their van and ignore what's happening need to SEE the reality of it before it sinks in. Unless you are directly affected (injured or family member) by it most people don't give a s***.

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

TheHiddenTrack wrote: some people who put a sticker on their van and ignore what's happening need to SEE the reality of it before it sinks in. Unless you are directly affected (injured or family member) by it most people don't give a s***.
Totally agree. This stuff may be common place to Jack D, (who's opinion I greatly respect), but it's not common place to Joe Schmo, who barely realizes we are still at war. People need to see what these soldiers are going through and realize they will need our help and support when they get home. Help to assimilate, help to cope, help in getting back to their lives, help with their injuries, help with whatever they need help with. I think the network news doesn't show the "real" war and even though these soldiers may be "cherry picked" as you say, Jack, I think their stories still deserve to be heard and the general public needs to see the harsh realities of war.

ProvoAnC
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by ProvoAnC »

JackB1 wrote:
harsh realities of war.
Of course everyone always wants to see how we're "losing" or how many soldiers were wounded. Its like defeat is a way of life in this country...what the f*** over?

Maybe the media should stop trying to make America a bunch of pussies with their "cry me a river" agendas and start showing anal-jihad dirka terrorist assholes getting shot in the f***in face...

The only reality is we win and they lose.
I have a new gamertag Provo 4569

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Nothing like when I was over there during Operation Desert Storm.

Thanks for the link, my wife and I just watched it. I had to stop it at various parts to collect myself. My cousin just got back and he's a Marine scout sniper.. I was thinking that could have been him who was shot in the head twice. Crazy.

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

ProvoAnC wrote:The only reality is we win and they lose.
Except no one knows what winning looks like or how we get there.

Anyway, I wanted to comment on Jack's comment. I had the pleasure of responding to various Vets complaints and casework over the past few years. The VA is such a strange beast. It's completely ignorant and half-assed sometime yet some of the services it offers is vital to the survival of many vets.

I have not served in the military nor do I come from a military family outside of a few WW2 and Korean, and Vietnam vets. What bothers me the most is the ignorance the public has in terms of how underfunded the VA truly is. If you think its bad in urban VA centers its much worse for rural vets. It's sad and depressing how many congressional leaders say how important vets and the military is yet are unwilling to commit serious funds to improving the VA at all levels.

Say what you want about the war. But all Americans regardless of party should demand a fully funded VA even if that means we have to sacrifice a little more in whatever shape that takes.
[url=http://sensiblecoasters.wordpress.com/][b]Sensible Coasters - A critique of sports games, reviews, gaming sites and news. Questionably Proofread![/b][/url]

Jackdog
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jackdog »

JRod wrote:

Anyway, I wanted to comment on Jack's comment. I had the pleasure of responding to various Vets complaints and casework over the past few years. The VA is such a strange beast. It's completely ignorant and half-assed sometime yet some of the services it offers is vital to the survival of many vets.

I have not served in the military nor do I come from a military family outside of a few WW2 and Korean, and Vietnam vets. What bothers me the most is the ignorance the public has in terms of how underfunded the VA truly is. If you think its bad in urban VA centers its much worse for rural vets. It's sad and depressing how many congressional leaders say how important vets and the military is yet are unwilling to commit serious funds to improving the VA at all levels.

Say what you want about the war. But all Americans regardless of party should demand a fully funded VA even if that means we have to sacrifice a little more in whatever shape that takes.
Thank you!! For your work with us and this post. Thank you! VA saved my life. I have been treated well,but I am one of the lucky ones.
Last edited by Jackdog on Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
[img]http://www.ideaspot.net/flags/Big_10/small/mich-sm.gif[/img][img]http://www.ideaspot.net/nfl/NFC_North/small/pack1-sm.gif[/img]

Jackdog
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jackdog »

JackB1 wrote:
TheHiddenTrack wrote: some people who put a sticker on their van and ignore what's happening need to SEE the reality of it before it sinks in. Unless you are directly affected (injured or family member) by it most people don't give a s***.
Totally agree. This stuff may be common place to Jack D, (who's opinion I greatly respect), but it's not common place to Joe Schmo, who barely realizes we are still at war. People need to see what these soldiers are going through and realize they will need our help and support when they get home. Help to assimilate, help to cope, help in getting back to their lives, help with their injuries, help with whatever they need help with. I think the network news doesn't show the "real" war and even though these soldiers may be "cherry picked" as you say, Jack, I think their stories still deserve to be heard and the general public needs to see the harsh realities of war.
Anyone that has cable can watch The Military Channel. They have a few unbiased reality shows based with units on the ground fighting in Iraq.
Some with Reserve and Guard units. A couple with Active.

FatPitcher
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by FatPitcher »

JRod wrote:
Except no one knows what winning looks like or how we get there.

Yep. One good thing I have noticed is that even those protesting the war are doing things that help the troops, like pushing for better medical care. Even though their motives are usually just to make the administration look bad, the end result is good so I can't complain. Much better than spitting on them and calling them baby-killers, in any case.

I wouldn't mind seeing those who say "support the troops by bringing them home" actually go out and do something themselves for the troops they care about so much, not just pushing for political change, which does a solider who lost a limb no practical good at all. I'm not talking about anyone here, but living in the San Francisco area I see a lot of people who profess to care about troop welfare but can't be pressed to donate $5 to organizations like the WWP.

On a side note, you don't hear Democrats accusing Bush of not listening to his generals much nowadays. I wonder why that is.

Jared
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jared »

FatPitcher wrote: Yep. One good thing I have noticed is that even those protesting the war are doing things that help the troops, like pushing for better medical care. Even though their motives are usually just to make the administration look bad, the end result is good so I can't complain. Much better than spitting on them and calling them baby-killers, in any case.
How on earth do you know the motives of those protesting the war regarding the care of the troops and VAs? You don't think that maybe, just maybe, people that protest the war or that are against the war (i.e. the majority of Americans) actually care about the care received by fellow Americans, neighbors, etc? Where is your evidence for this?

(And being someone who's volunteered working at a VA, I can tell you that these people strongly care about funding for veterans at a personal level, regardless of their political beliefs.)
I wouldn't mind seeing those who say "support the troops by bringing them home" actually go out and do something themselves for the troops they care about so much, not just pushing for political change, which does a solider who lost a limb no practical good at all. I'm not talking about anyone here, but living in the San Francisco area I see a lot of people who profess to care about troop welfare but can't be pressed to donate $5 to organizations like the WWP.
And you have evidence for this? You've canvassed for organizations like the WWP, took a poll of who was liberal and conservative when requesting donations, and found this to be true? Where is your evidence for this?
On a side note, you don't hear Democrats accusing Bush of not listening to his generals much nowadays. I wonder why that is.
Huh? Multiple retired generals and members of the Joint Chiefs of Staff were against the surge when it was being discussed, the Pentagon is preparing a report that "differs substantially from Petraus' recommendations", and Admiral Fallon, head of Centcom, is against the surge. It seems more like Bush is listening to his chosen general, not his generals.

FatPitcher
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by FatPitcher »

Jared, you are smart, so it's unconvincing when you play dumb like this. I'm sure with your googling skills you can find plenty of accounts of Code Pink at Walter Reed and the like.

And yes, I have actually talked to people about contributing to the Navy-Marine Corps Relief Fund when they say they support the troops by tryring to bring them home. I just did this on Saturday, as a matter of fact, at big the peace rally in San Francisco. I got no takers and a bunch of dirty looks and even some insults. And I've had this conversation many times with friends and acquaintances. But I guess if it's not on salon.com, it's just anecdotal.

People disagree about military strategy. I am sure you know all about McClellan, Grant, the Copperheads, and the election of 1864. I just find it amusing how Democrats want us to ignore what they've done in the past and accept their latest screed on how we have to give up as quickly as possible (because if we actually succeed, their political fates will be sealed). There's been progress in Iraq, but don't expect Democrats in Congress to do anything but try to cover it up and ignore it, and don't expect Democrats outside Congress to do anything but tow the party line. After all, keeping Democrats in power is what's really at stake.

Jackdog
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jackdog »

I watched it tonight. Gandolfini did a great job with this show. It was unbiased and showed the true heart of every soldier interviewed. It was nothing like I thought it would be. It was real.

To my surprise I knew 3 of the soldiers interviewed through working with WWP. I talk to Dexter Pitts on a monthly basis and that dickhead never said a word about this. Great kid. He is going to be a cop one day. God help us all!!! :wink:

Fatpitcher. Code Pink is a has presence at every major VA hospital in this country. I have had my fill of them. I believe in freedom of speech but for Gods sake, protest at The White House. Not at the hospitals these men and women are healing at. Only in America. God Bless it.

You and Jared have fun and play nice.

Jared
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jared »

FatPitcher wrote:Jared, you are smart, so it's unconvincing when you play dumb like this. I'm sure with your googling skills you can find plenty of accounts of Code Pink at Walter Reed and the like.
How is it playing dumb? You purported to know that the motives of those that are against the war and are for better medical care are to make the administration look bad. It's not true for everyone. (Note everyone - Code Pink is a different thing...I think protesting at VAs is a distasteful. But Code Pink is only a tiny proportion of antiwar protestors.)
And yes, I have actually talked to people about contributing to the Navy-Marine Corps Relief Fund when they say they support the troops by tryring to bring them home. I just did this on Saturday, as a matter of fact, at big the peace rally in San Francisco. I got no takers and a bunch of dirty looks and even some insults. And I've had this conversation many times with friends and acquaintances. But I guess if it's not on salon.com, it's just anecdotal.
Talking to a few friends and acquaintances is anecdotal. That's the definition of anecdotal. Especially when you're equating your experiences with a few in San Francisco with the views of those that are against the war.
People disagree about military strategy. I am sure you know all about McClellan, Grant, the Copperheads, and the election of 1864. I just find it amusing how Democrats want us to ignore what they've done in the past and accept their latest screed on how we have to give up as quickly as possible (because if we actually succeed, their political fates will be sealed). There's been progress in Iraq, but don't expect Democrats in Congress to do anything but try to cover it up and ignore it, and don't expect Democrats outside Congress to do anything but tow the party line. After all, keeping Democrats in power is what's really at stake.
Again...you purport to know the motives of Democrats, that it's all about power, and that we give up as soon as possible. Or it could be that Democrats are against the war because of the continued cost of lives, resources, money, etc. with years of Iraq getting worse because of a continued stream of mistakes by the Bush administration. But clearly, with your amazing powers of anecdotal analysis, you can read the hearts of all men.

FatPitcher
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by FatPitcher »

I don't claim to know everyone's motives. But it's not hard to see what's what when people who could have cared less about VA funding 10 years ago suddenly think it's a big deal now that they can use it as a political weapon. When I was in the service during Clinton's presidency, I didn't hear Congressional Democrats complaining about our abysmal pay and quality of life or trying to make the lives of military people any better.

And of course you had Republicans complaining about Clinton's military interventions and such, so the hypocrisy is on both sides.