HOCKEY NIGHT in DSP 07-08

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

And the losing streak continues...F'n FLyers NEVER WIN SHOOTOUTS :x
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

Diablo25 wrote:And the losing streak continues...F'n FLyers NEVER WIN SHOOTOUTS :x
You know it's bad when a team puts out a 20-year old rookie playing his first NHL game as a shooter in a SO. I really thought Briere would be a real asset in SOs, but like every other aspect of his game this year, he has been a disappointment. He's now 0-4 in SOs.

Gangrel
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gangrel »

I'm actually just home from the game. The Sens are very lucky winners. After the first 5 minutes of energy, they showed nothing until the OT. Thankfully, the Flyers didn't have much jump either, aside from their two goals.......

I'm mighty impressed by Stillman tho. He made some slick passes..... so maybe he can get some scoring going on the second line.

As for Claude Giroux being the first shooter.... that may have been more of a nod to Ottawa, as he plays junior hockey just across the river in Gatineau, so he probably had lots of family and such in the stands.

Then again, they also used Kimo Timmonen!?!?!? as the second shooter, so who knows...... :P
gamertag: Ace EZ

Once a Dragon, a Dragon for life!

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Last week I thought that the 'Nucks played rather well against the Wild despite losing in the SO. Fast forward to this tuesday game and it was one of those must wins for VAN if they wanted to shorten Minni's lead in the NW. They played without T. Pyatt who got rocked over the weekend by Z. Stortini, and at this point, hey what's another injury for the team. R. Krajicek is gone for the season, but we may be getting some good news finally as K. Bieksa is set to return this weekend.

Back to the game tonight, and the big win in OT was huge. They outplayed the home team, outchanced them but with six minutes left, they were still down 1-2 and not rewarded for their play. Nazzy comes up big in a PP and D. Sedin seals it for the team in OT.

This team needs another forward or two and who would have known, maybe another D-man to cover for all the injuries. But I am encouraged by the team's play in the past six games or so and hopefully this road win is the start of something. The Western conference is still pretty tightly fought for the final spots.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

J. Jagr had a big four point night, only to be overshadowed by the big Habs comeback in an incredible 6-5 win.

Despite S. Crosby's absence, E. Malkin has stepped up his game admirably. How's 19 points in only eight games. Wow, I just love watching this kid, they hardly missed #87.

Feanor
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Feanor »

Philly.com says Tomas Kaberle would have been a Flyer, but he wouldn't waive his no-trade clause. I'd love to know what players the Flyers offered to Toronto.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/fly ... cause.html

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

This NTC in a lot of contracts is biting into some GM's sorry arses. A reason perhaps there's little activity with just a week before the tradeline, but also because a lot of teams are still in the hunt for a playoff berth. It should be interesting the next few days, but some of these GM's may want to think twice before adding the NTC when they sign some Stars for long terms contracts.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/s ... id=3253963

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

Feanor wrote:Philly.com says Tomas Kaberle would have been a Flyer, but he wouldn't waive his no-trade clause. I'd love to know what players the Flyers offered to Toronto.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/fly ... cause.html
s***! Kaberle would've been a brilliant acquisition for the Flyers. Rumors were that the Leafs wanted Carter. Now Carter has improved a bit this year, but I would absolutely trade him plus some other add-ons to add a quality puck-moving defensemen in his prime.
Gangrel wrote:As for Claude Giroux being the first shooter.... that may have been more of a nod to Ottawa, as he plays junior hockey just across the river in Gatineau, so he probably had lots of family and such in the stands.
The Flyers are in the midst of a 7 game losing streak. I hope they are not jeopardizing their chances at winning to make good will gestures!

Feanor
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Feanor »

I don't mind Giroux being in the shootout. It's not as if there's anyone on the Flyers with a great shootout record that he took the place of. I don't even watch anymore when OT ends without a goal because I know we're going to lose.

I think the Flyers should throw caution to the wind in OT and have the D-men pinch every chance they get.

Gangrel
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gangrel »

Naples39 wrote:
Gangrel wrote:As for Claude Giroux being the first shooter.... that may have been more of a nod to Ottawa, as he plays junior hockey just across the river in Gatineau, so he probably had lots of family and such in the stands.
The Flyers are in the midst of a 7 game losing streak. I hope they are not jeopardizing their chances at winning to make good will gestures!
Actually, I'm not being that fair to Claude. I'm sure that played a role in it, but he also played on the line with Briere all night, so they think something of him. He's also the leading scorer in the QMJHL, so the kid has moves.....

Besides, with so many forwards out, there weren't many good ones to pick from!
gamertag: Ace EZ

Once a Dragon, a Dragon for life!

Airdog
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Airdog »

If the Leafs trade Kaberle then they'd be moving arguably the only player on the team who actually earns the money that he's paid, or even maybe plays beyond what he's paid. He's under contract for a few more years @ $4.5M/year which is fine by me, and probably any GM in the league.

He's a player to build around, not cast off to get young talent. Add the facts that he's about to come into his hockey playing prime and an NMC and I think that he'll be a Leaf for a while to come yet.
- Rob
PSN: smearobe

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Interesting list of the 10 players in NHL history with the longest unbroken tenure with one franchise:

10. Daniel Alfredsson, Ottawa, 836 games.

9. Shane Doan, Phoenix (Winnipeg), 862 games.

8. Nicklas Lidstrom, Detroit, 1,238 games.

7. Mike Modano, Dallas (Minnesota), 1,301 games.

6. Joe Sakic, Colorado (Quebec), 1,343 games.

5. Henri Richard, Montreal, 1,259 games.

4. Ken Daneyko, New Jersey, 1,283 games.

3. Stan Mikita, Chicago, 1,394 games.

2. Steve Yzerman, Detroit, 1,514 games.

1. Alex Delvecchio, Detroit, 1,550 games.

Amazing in this era of free agency and big contracts that five of the 10 guys on this list are still active, with two others (Yzerman and Daneyko) having retired only in the last five seasons.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

The Toronto Sun today said the deal was supposedly Kaberle for Carter and a pick. Damn you and your NMC Kaberle!

There are still rumors might go after Boyle if he doesn't re-sign with TB, and other rumors Flyers will go after Tanguay or Brad Richards. Both seem unlikely to me, especially the Brad Richards bit. Sorry Brad, but the position of overpaid, underachieving center has already been filled on the Flyers.

Feanor
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Feanor »

Gagne's season is over. Someone needs to glue one of those custom fitted mouthguards in his mouth at the start of next season, or it'll be Primeau and Lindros all over again.

HipE
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by HipE »

Malkin dominates again in a win at Montreal with 3 more points, giving him 24 in his last 10 games and a 4 point lead in the NHL scoring race. It is really amazing what he and the team have been able to accomplish without Crosby. I can't wait to see what happens when he finally returns.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Scary thought Hipe, but I think the Pens have been playing better during #87's absence. E. Malkin has been on fire.

R. Luongo has been outstanding tonight stopping 50 shots as Canucks take another two precious points. Good to see Louie back in form as K. Bieksa finally comes back from his freaky injury three months ago.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Flyers winless streak continues...this is getting ridiculous.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

R. Zednik held a press conference after that freaky accident that could have cost his life. He's doing great, spoke clearly and is looking forward to next season.

Pretty good scrap between Cote & Shelley in Philly.

A team that's quietly gaining momentum is BUF, after being on the outside looking in most of the season, they're now in 7th spot in the eastern conference.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Diablo25 wrote:Flyers winless streak continues...this is getting ridiculous.
Mere child's play compared to the Oil last season, who lost 12 straight after the trading deadline last season! :)

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

pk500 wrote:
Diablo25 wrote:Flyers winless streak continues...this is getting ridiculous.
Mere child's play compared to the Oil last season, who lost 12 straight after the trading deadline last season! :)

Take care,
PK
I feel much better...thanks PK :( :)
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

They mentioned a stat last night that was truly frightening -- during the Flyers 9-game losing streak, they have held the lead for less than 13 minutes. That means of the last 545 minutes played, the Flyers have been tied or trailing for 532 minutes. Just wow. This team was in first place ahead of the Pens and Devils a few weeks ago! It's hard to imagine falling to such depths so quickly.

Another disgusting stat for the Flyers new whipping boy - since the all-star break (13 games), Briere has 1 even strength point (assist) and is -11. This guy led the league in even-strength points last year! And no, it's not just that the team is bad, as over the same stretch Mike Richards has 7 ES points and is +1. Even 4th line center Jim Dowd has the same amount of ES points and is +1 since the all-star break.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Although I have no love lost for the broad street bullies :) , injuries are part of the big problem in Philly ('Nucks know all about it this season). Gagne is an important piece of the puzzle, yes D. Briere has been almost invisible since the ASB but with Gagne around, both had good chemistry. But one area they have to improve on is in between the posts; it's been shaky at best. And they better wake up soon after leading the division most of the year, teams like BUF and NYI are making big steps.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

10spro wrote:Although I have no love lost for the broad street bullies :) , injuries are part of the big problem in Philly ('Nucks know all about it this season). Gagne is an important piece of the puzzle, yes D. Briere has been almost invisible since the ASB but with Gagne around, both had good chemistry. But one area they have to improve on is in between the posts; it's been shaky at best. And they better wake up soon after leading the division most of the year, teams like BUF and NYI are making big steps.
Having watched nearly every Flyers game this season, I disagree. The Gagne-Briere line struggled with chemistry all season, and questions were being asked in Philly back in October and November if they should be split up. There was a point early in the season, that although they were scoring on the PP, the Gagne-Briere-Knuble line were the only minus line on the whole team.

Second, while the goaltending has had its up and downs, it has NOT been the problem. Even during this dire losing stretch, the goaltending has been at worst average. The reality is that the flyers defense is beyond incompetent and on many nights are simply unable to simply clear the zone, resulting in the Flyers being pinned in their own zone for long stretches. I mean last night the Flyers were being outshot 12-3 after only 10 minutes! It's embarrassing to watch and Biron gave them a chance to win a game last night where they were badly outplayed. Statistically, the Flyers are 28th in the league in shots allowed.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Naples39 wrote: Second, while the goaltending has had its up and downs, it has NOT been the problem. Even during this dire losing stretch, the goaltending has been at worst average. The reality is that the flyers defense is beyond incompetent and on many nights are simply unable to simply clear the zone, resulting in the Flyers being pinned in their own zone for long stretches. I mean last night the Flyers were being outshot 12-3 after only 10 minutes! It's embarrassing to watch and Biron gave them a chance to win a game last night where they were badly outplayed. Statistically, the Flyers are 28th in the league in shots allowed.
That's a lot of allowed shots Naples, and that's why being average is not good enough in this league when your D is struggling in between the posts. Just not too long ago, VAN had only one regular dressed up in the blue line and Bobby Lou was trying to do his miracles. Problem was, Luongo was struggling too. And so the losses (mostly SO's ) mounted even though the team always had a strong work ethic even though they were outplayed by the opposition.

Allowing a lot of SOG can make Biron have an excellent save percentage but not quite as excellent GAA.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

10spro wrote:That's a lot of allowed shots Naples, and that's why being average is not good enough in this league when your D is struggling in between the posts.
Says the man with Luongo between the pipes. No, I'm not jealous at all. :wink: