Rugby World Cup Thread

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

fsquid wrote:just watched the Fiji-Wales match. Outstanding game to watch.
Finally got around to watching this one today on a torrent. The official RWC Web site called this the best match of the pool rounds, and I agree, at least of the 10-ish pool matches I saw.

What a match. Incredible ebb and flow between the teams, with narrow escapes late by both.

Definitely worth a torrent download. This is a match to show someone what rugby union is all about. Terrific entertainment.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Speaking of good matches. Gotta watch NZ-France.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

SPOILER

Wow, James, you were right: What an upset.

How the hell do the All Blacks have possession for 62 percent of the game and lose? France had the advantage in tackles, 178-36.

Man, the form book has been ripped apart with the losses by the Wallabies and the All Blacks. Is this Cup the Springboks to lose? Or is France now the leading candidate? Or can England manage an improbable repeat?

Roll on, WORLD CUP, BABY!

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

Feanor
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Feanor »

I think NZ lost because Henry's ridiculous rotation policy meant the top team were not a battle hardended and cohesive unit. The smug sh*t should have played his top team against Romania instead of rolling out mainly back-ups.

The guy is going to be crucified by the NZ public and rightly so - he had by far the best squad of players at this World Cup, and yet this is the worst result for any NZ team in RWC history.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

I don't think they ever failed to make it to the semis. This is a huge dissappointment for NZ. That extra man for France paid off for the host team in the second half who kept applying the pressure. We've seen some huge upsets in this tournament but this got to be right up there.

Go Pumas...

Boltman
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Boltman »

Feanor wrote:I think NZ lost because Henry's ridiculous rotation policy meant the top team were not a battle hardended and cohesive unit. The smug sh*t should have played his top team against Romania instead of rolling out mainly back-ups.

The guy is going to be crucified by the NZ public and rightly so - he had by far the best squad of players at this World Cup, and yet this is the worst result for any NZ team in RWC history.
Nuff said.

Feanor
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Feanor »

I must add that the second French try came from a forward pass Tom Brady would be proud of. NZ should have been able to overcome that, though, and the dodgy sinbinning.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Feanor wrote:I must add that the second French try came from a forward pass Tom Brady would be proud of. NZ should have been able to overcome that, though, and the dodgy sinbinning.
Finally saw the NZ-France match last night on a torrent. Yep, that final try was created by a blatant forward pass. The ref missed that.

But the ref REALLY cocked it up on the sin bin call on McAllister. He did not deliberately run into the French player. You could see McAllister turn and recoil a bit just before the contact.

That bad call really screwed the All Blacks. But give credit to the Frogs -- they made hay while a man up, and their defense in the final five minutes was exceptional.

The Australia-England game was weird. Hardly any flow at all because the scrums were an absolute mess. The Wallabies were trying all sorts of gamesmanship in the scrum because they couldn't handle the English pack, and it made for a messy match.

England could have won by more if Wilkinson had his radar turned on. The English will give the French a tough game because of their awesome pack and because the English looked surprisingly free-flowing in the first half, not relying solely on Wilkinson's boot.

I need to grab the other two quarterfinals today and watch them tonight. You'd have to think South Africa is in the proverbial driver's seat now, but then again, everyone thought the All Blacks and Wallabies would cruise to a semifinal showdown!

Take care,
PK

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

If logic serves well, it should be SA & France in the finals, but I am surely going to root hard for the Pumas.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

How about the Pumas and England in the final? No love lost between those two nations.

Take care,
PK

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

pk500 wrote:How about the Pumas and England in the final? No love lost between those two nations. Take care, PK
Not at all. Is it Malvinas or Falkland Island?

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

It will be South Africa and France in the final.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

I'm afraid to make predictions after the shock quarterfinal results last Saturday, but here goes:

South Africa 25, Argentina 20

England 16, France 14

The Springboks have too much talent, and they were tested in the group stages -- unlike New Zealand -- by Tonga, so they're ready.

I'm stumped on England-France. I just think England's pack dominance, while it won't be as pronounced as against Australia, will prevail. One try and three Wilko kicks will be enough.

Take care,
PK

davet010
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by davet010 »

Pretty close there, PK.
"The players come from all over the world, the money from deep underneath the Persian Gulf, but, as another, older City poster campaign put it, this is their city. They may now exist in the global spotlight, but they intend to keep it that way."

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Two weeks ago no one gave a pence that England would make it past the quarters never mind now the finals. They improved their lackluster game play from the fist couple of matches and they gathered strength from then on.

It was a great match to watch, intense, physical and Wilkinson's left foot kicks are dead on.

Now wouldn' it be great if Argentina would be the other finalist? Wishful thinking alright, Springboks are a tough bunch to beat but in this unpredictable tournament anything is possible

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

ITV's impartiality took a back seat tonight as Wilkinson's boot launched the drop goal attempt, and it was amusing to hear a sports commentator casting aside impartiality and lapsing back into fan mode for just a few moments:

"Wilkinson's moving wider...or is he setting an angle for the drop goal? He is...Jonny Wilkinson...go on. GO ON!"

I don't really watch that much Union, being more of a League fan, but I did find tonight's match enthralling even though there wasn't really all that much good attacking rugby being played. It was a battle from start to finish, but a really enjoyable watch, I thought.

England can't win the trophy, though, surely? Mind, I've had us down as going out in every single stage of the competition so far. At least we're in the final, and that's a huge result in itself given where we were three weeks ago.
XBox Live and PSN Gamertag: theycallhimsim

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

SPOILERS.

Boks were too strong for the Pumas. Depite the best D record in the tournament, Argentina couldn't hold off the constant pressure applied by SA and they made some key mistakes. Fly half Juan Martin Hernandez is one of the MVP candidates for the tournament IMO.

It should be a good final, England will try to erase their last embarrasing loss to SA but at this point the Springboks look too strong at least from what I saw today.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

I agree with James. South Africa looks to have the edge on paper, but only the most diehard England supporter three weeks ago would have expected England to reach the final. So anything can happen.

One thing is certain, though: Unless England makes an unlikely change of tactics, this won't be a pretty final to watch. England beat Australia and France with a simple, brutal, ugly strategy -- mauling and counter-mauling, rucking and counter-rucking. Smashmouth rugby.

Take care,
PK

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

I just like watching the Manfield guy. That is one huge fecking dude.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Two decent little rugby union primers from the BBC ahead of the World Cup final Saturday:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/maga ... tm#players

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugby_u ... 200680.stm

Take care,
PK

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

PK,

I'm not going to be able to watch it. Where do you get your Rugby torrents? Could you PM me, I'm going to stay away from this thread like the plague until I watch the final.

Thanks PK.
[url=http://sensiblecoasters.wordpress.com/][b]Sensible Coasters - A critique of sports games, reviews, gaming sites and news. Questionably Proofread![/b][/url]

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

PM sent.

Take care,
PK

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

You don't have a DVR Jrod?

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

What channel is it going to be on? I don't even know that. Is it Sentanta or PPV?
[url=http://sensiblecoasters.wordpress.com/][b]Sensible Coasters - A critique of sports games, reviews, gaming sites and news. Questionably Proofread![/b][/url]

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

The final will be broadcast on U.S. cable from 5-7 p.m. (ET) Sunday on Versus. A day late, and interrupted by commercials.

No thanks. I'll stick to the torrent from Channel Ten in Australia.

Take care,
PK