Rugby World Cup Thread

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Boltman
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Boltman »

BTW, for you Setanta guys, during this RWC they are running a special called "The Story of the All Blacks" Make sure you see it! It is fugging awesome!

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Boltman wrote:I saw your comments on the All Blacks, now you see why I love them so. I really wish I had turned you into a rugging fan back when Lomu was playing on their Squad, to see it live back then was just awesome.
Trust me, man, so I do I! But I have caught some superb Lomu clips on YouTube. The dude was STUNNING.

Bolt, I've changed my altered cry of "COME ON, BOBBY!" from when we played WE on Xbox Live to "COME ON, BODie" in honor of my boy O'Driscoll and my team Ireland during this World Cup. :)

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Boltman
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Boltman »

pk500 wrote:
Boltman wrote:I saw your comments on the All Blacks, now you see why I love them so. I really wish I had turned you into a rugging fan back when Lomu was playing on their Squad, to see it live back then was just awesome.
Trust me, man, so I do I! But I have caught some superb Lomu clips on YouTube. The dude was STUNNING.

Bolt, I've changed my altered cry of "COME ON, BOBBY!" from when we played WE on Xbox Live to "COME ON, BODie" in honor of my boy O'Driscoll and my team Ireland during this World Cup. :)

Take care,
PK
I'll go with that, my son Kevin is an Ireland fan, and has a few Ireland kits, including a few BOD's!

BOD has my respect (has for many a year) no doubt.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Surprisingly, the most entertaining match of the tournament has been Fiji-Japan. Close game.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

10spro wrote:Surprisingly, the most entertaining match of the tournament has been Fiji-Japan. Close game.
Physical as hell, too.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

Good night, England.

Take care,
PK

Boltman
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Boltman »

Why the F is Setanta delaying the fooking matches!?

So S.A. took em eh?

Damn.

Feanor
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Feanor »

pk500 wrote:Trust me, man, so I do I! But I have caught some superb Lomu clips on YouTube. The dude was STUNNING.
Do yourself a big favour and stick "Christian Cullen" into youtube. :) I just read he's living back in his old hometown after retiring at age 31. The last few years of his career were ruined thru injury (and thru John Mitchell being a dumbass) but he was probably the best attacking fullback NZ has ever had.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Feanor:

I'll have to check him. More of the learning process for me! I'm trying to watch and read everything about the sport I can find.

Take care,
PK

Boltman
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Boltman »

Good read for guys like PK, although I hardly consider him a novice fan nowadays.

http://extrapolater.com/2007/09/13/the- ... nal-rugby/

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

pk500 wrote:Good night, England.
Indeed. Even by the low standards we've set for ourselves through the last 3 years or so (and let's not kid ourselves - it's been apparent for quite some time that we had absolutely no hope of putting up a successful defence of the crown), Friday's performance was horrific. Now the RFU have managed not just to halt the progress we made under Clive Woodward, but also to have us slide backwards to a point where we're now a genuinely woeful outfit, you wonder where we'll go from here.
XBox Live and PSN Gamertag: theycallhimsim

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Anyone need an invite to diwana.org, where most of the RWC torrents are housed? I have downloaded and uploaded so much RWC action from there in the last 10 days that my ratio has skyrocketed to the good, and I have three invites to offer.

PM me if you're interested! Just about every game has a high-def rip, so the quality is EXCELLENT.

Take care,
PK

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

I watched highlighs of the Tonga-Samoa match. An entertatining upset .

France looked very strong and they're back in business, mind you, it was a rather weak team in Namibia.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Perhaps the best match of the tournament. Hard tackles, see-saw match up between Wales and the Fijians, players on the edge, players limping, this game had it all.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Eager to get the Wales-Fiji torrent. The South Africa-Tonga match from earlier this week was outstanding, especially the second half.

The Springboks can play really flowing rugby when they want to. I'd love to see the Springboks play the All Blacks. That would be wide open as hell and a treat to watch.

Take care,
PK

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

I thought NZ killed them twice during the Tri-Nations.

Boltman
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Boltman »

fsquid wrote:I thought NZ killed them twice during the Tri-Nations.

Killed em' in one of the two, the first one was quite close actually.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

South Africa is playing really well right now, too. The Springboks appear to be able to play any way -- grinding it out with power or on the wings with speed.

Still, the All Blacks have looked ridiculously good this tournament. Arguably the only top team that hasn't been tested.

Take care,
PK

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

just watched the Fiji-Wales match. Outstanding game to watch.

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

SPOILER ALERT

SPOILER ALERT

SPOILER ALERT

I'm at work, which means I've not been able to watch the first quarter final. Can anyone who did explain to me how on Earth we managed to beat Australia? That shouldn't have happened, surely?
XBox Live and PSN Gamertag: theycallhimsim

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

That is a bonafide shocker, considering the teams' respective form in the pool stages. But England did play well to beat a stubborn Tongan side to advance to the quarters, and Wilkinson is looking better.

So anything is possible -- until the semis next weekend, when England gets destroyed by the All Blacks. :)

Take care,
PK

davet010
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by davet010 »

I can't stand Rugby Union, but it's nice to see the loudmouth Aussies get shut up again. Having lived and worked out there, I can say quite fairly that in terms of arseholes per thousand of population, Australia is right up there at the top.

Wonder if that tosser Campese and their old manager are going to be spouting shite tonight like they were all week. Frankly, if I were as ignorant and classless as them, I'd be in the library for the next two weeks trying to find something else that Australia can shout about apart from sport and Kylie Minogue's arse.

"Rolf Harris...Bush Tucker Man....Kathy f--king Freeman...Richie Benaud... your boys took one hell of a beating !"
"The players come from all over the world, the money from deep underneath the Persian Gulf, but, as another, older City poster campaign put it, this is their city. They may now exist in the global spotlight, but they intend to keep it that way."

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Dave:

How can you like American football and loathe rugby union?

Take care,
PK

davet010
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by davet010 »

Because I'm from the North, and therefore prefer Rugby League.

And let's face it, RL is now exactly like the NFL, except that there is no forward passing (unless the officials are particularly poor) and you get 6 downs as opposed to 4.

Rugby union is one of those sports, like F1, that just works miles better on the TV. I've been to see Sale Sharks (who play about 4 miles away from where I live), and unless the play is within the third of the pitch nearest to you, there is no way you can see what the hell is going on. Still, you are allowed to drink at your seat, probably because posh rugby fans are not likely to cause trouble.
"The players come from all over the world, the money from deep underneath the Persian Gulf, but, as another, older City poster campaign put it, this is their city. They may now exist in the global spotlight, but they intend to keep it that way."

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

davet010 wrote:Because I'm from the North, and therefore prefer Rugby League.
Ah, gotcha. I've never seen a league game, but I really dig union.

Take care,
PK