NFL Season Thread

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

NFL Season Thread

Post by Brando70 »

It's time to leave dog fighting and strip club shootings behind and talk about what happens on the field. Tomorrow night's Saints/Colts game is a great way to rinse out the bad taste of this offseason. It should be an exciting season this year. There are a lot of good teams that can make a Super Bowl run.

I'm heading out to sunny San Diego this weekend to see the Bears-Chargers game, then to Vegas the next weekend where I will gorge on football at the sports book. Best opening to the season I've ever had!

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Why only bring up the good teams? There are some Raider fans here, you know :lol:.

Seriously, I think the Raiders may surprise some people this year. The defense is ridiculously good, considering they were on the field for three-quarters per game last season and still held their own. All they need is a TD or 10 points from the offense per game to really let them come after the QB and run some rush blitzes. I think they have a pretty good shot at getting close to .500, which would be a huge shock to a lot of people.

I'd say 6-10 is probably a realistic goal, but 8-8 isn't out of the question for the worst team of the current decade.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Was Cpepp been named the starter? Another Miami castoff only to be productive somewhere else. :roll:

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Rodster wrote:Was Cpepp been named the starter? Another Miami castoff only to be productive somewhere else. :roll:
Not "officially". Kiffin wants to keep the Lions in the dark about the starter...because McNown strikes so much fear into his old team. Not. I don't know what his deal is, but I saw every preseason snap and the offense was notably better the instant Pep came into the lineup. Didn't matter if it was the starters, 2nd string, or scrubs in the 4th quarter...guys played for Pepper, except the receivers which dropped a ton of balls.

I'd say it would be a huge, HUGE shock for McNown to start. The other factor is that Culpepper had NONE of his mobility in Miami. He wore that fat knee brace and couldn't move. He's already had several key scrambles throughout preseason where he shook off a defender and rumbled for a first down, also threw some lasers on the roll-outs that hit receivers between the numbers (who dropped it).

I'll go out on a limb and say yes...you'll probably see a Miami castoff who is productive somewhere else, but he's hardly the same player he was last year. Tearing all 3 ligaments will really work over a QB who relies on instilling fear with his ability to run you over as well as chuck it a mile. Prepare to be frustrated as you watch Trent Green take a concussion or look bewildered, sorry.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I'm happy for Pepp and I wish him well. He showed class while in Miami and busted his tail in preparing for both last year and this year. I believe he got a raw deal.

I also agree that Trent's head is like a potato chip just waiting for the next hit and it's lights out for good. Miami should have kept Pepp while having Lemon in the wings in case something happened where Cpepp wasn't making it happen or got injured.

I realize living close to Miami that it's all about John Beck and getting him ready for next year unless something happens to both Trent and Cleo this year. Miami still has O-Line problems so Trent needs to watch his six at all times.

I'm still willing to cut Cameron some slack in that he did good things in SD and we'll see what he does here.

cootdog
Mario Mendoza

Post by cootdog »

I consider both LaMont Jordan and Culpepper to be the steals of my fantasy drafts. I am not a Raiders fan in the slightest, but I expect these guys to surprise many.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Trent Greene should right retire while his head is still straight. Same with Morgan on the Panthers.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Culpepper will not surprise anyone behind that line. It's even worse than Miami's and he couldn't get enough time there. He's done. He did not make the transition to pocket passer (like the dogfighter)...the only guy who did was McNabb. Culpepper may start, but the Raiders don't win 5 games. It'll be a race with the Dolphins to see who can actually get to 5 first. I wouldn't be surprised if neither do...especially the Raiders.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

You definitely have reason to say that, however that line last year was being asked to block 1-on-1 and hold blocks far too long. Shell and Slater were asking these guys to perform like hall of famers, because they knew of no other way to do it. Since Tom Cable and Greg Knapp came over, they have installed a zone-blocking, cut block scheme like Denver runs. They signed Cooper Carlisle, who started every game the past few seasons in Denver, to run at Right Guard. They shifted players all over the place. The starters didn't give up a single sack in the preseason. They fired off the ball in unison and LaMont Jordan was using cutbacks to really bust off some huge runs. It's all preaseason so it means jack sh*t, but it was obvious the line was really buying into the new system, whereas last year they were clueless from the start.

Don't forget that the same exact line bought Kerry Collins enough time the year before to throw for 300+ yards several times. It's not like they have no talent...the scheme sucked, and you'll be one of those people who are surprised by them. I've seen this team flat out suck the past 5 years, and people have come to expect it. Each year I get a bit excited, and each year they come out in preseason and just look completely flat. Wins and losses completely aside, they can't ever execute and never look like they know what the hell is going on. From the opening snap this year they've been flying around with passion, at least looking like they're playing football. This is a better club than you've seen the past few years and I guarantee they'll be more competitive. Not exactly a division challenger of playoff team since they play in the AFC West, but the line isn't this huge pile of sh*t and leaving them 2-14 again in 2007.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

TCrouch wrote:Don't forget that the same exact line bought Kerry Collins enough time the year before to throw for 300+ yards several times. It's not like they have no talent...the scheme sucked, and you'll be one of those people who are surprised by them.
Kerry Collins was an experienced guy who has never really gotten sacked much because he gets rid of the ball quickly. Wasn't that when they were running a hybrid west coast offense anyway, which results in quick timing passes? If you take sacks in that offense, I don't know what to tell you.

You'll see...once you get 1st team defenses in there...Daunte will start holding on to the ball too long, trying to escape, only to realize he can't run anymore and get sacked. He got sacked 20 something times in Miami in 4 games and about 75% were his fault. The Oakland line may have improved, but still...when it's the QB's fault, the line can't do much about it. Maybe it's you who will be surprised at how bad he looks now. Until I see him make some throws with regularity...call me VERY skeptical. But hey, at least the CW is in HD this year so we get all of their 4-12 season in stunning 1080i!

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
TCrouch wrote:Don't forget that the same exact line bought Kerry Collins enough time the year before to throw for 300+ yards several times. It's not like they have no talent...the scheme sucked, and you'll be one of those people who are surprised by them.
Kerry Collins was an experienced guy who has never really gotten sacked much because he gets rid of the ball quickly. Wasn't that when they were running a hybrid west coast offense anyway, which results in quick timing passes? If you take sacks in that offense, I don't know what to tell you.

You'll see...once you get 1st team defenses in there...Daunte will start holding on to the ball too long, trying to escape, only to realize he can't run anymore and get sacked. He got sacked 20 something times in Miami in 4 games and about 75% were his fault. The Oakland line may have improved, but still...when it's the QB's fault, the line can't do much about it. Maybe it's you who will be surprised at how bad he looks now. Until I see him make some throws with regularity...call me VERY skeptical. But hey, at least the CW is in HD this year so we get all of their 4-12 season in stunning 1080i!
Daunte has already busted loose on a few scrambles against first teamers and he's no longer wearing a knee brace. He's also getting rid of the ball extremely quickly because that's all Kiffin has stressed. I know all about the Miami sacks, and if that's all you'd seen of Culpepper I can understand the frustration. But again, you're taking a QB that is a year removed from tearing all 3 ligaments, wearing a huge brace and lacking mobility. Just seeing a few plays from the preseason and him rolling out, escaping pressure and lumbering for 20 yards will look radically different than anything you saw from him in a couple games last year.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

I don't believe he was wearing a brace when he was playing from Miami. And now he is TWO knee surgeries removed. He had another in April in case you forget. Miami HAD to cut bait.

I watched a few of his series in the preseason and I was more impressed than I was in the 4 games he played for Miami...that's for damn sure. But once it goes live, it will be a different story I believe. I guess we'll see.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Definitely. Again, it's kind of the same thing as me expecting Miami to suck. I guess it's a glass half full, half empty thing. I'm not predicting greatness here...not the "Commitment to Excellence" that Davis loves to preach. Merely a commitment to competence. They've already shown more competence in a month than they had in the past four years. And no matter how you slice it, Culpepper is a better option than McCown or Andrew Walter (another hold-the-ball-too-long culprit).

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

I agree with DB. The Raiders do have a very underrated defense, but you have to score points to win. Jordan is nothing special, the second coming of Edgar Bennett -- not bad, but not a real playmaker. Culpepper has had two very average seasons, and while he's better than what they had last year, he's probably not going to regain that lightning in a bottle from that incredible 2004 season. The starting WR has the leadership skills of Ike Turner, and the overall number 1 pick has missed all of the preseason. The outlook doesn't exactly look promising, and six wins looks generous to me. In reality, I think the Raiders will be battling the Falcons to draft JaMarcus Russell again next year :D

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

The San Francisco Chronicle thinks Culpepper will get the starting role.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... SRUREV.DTL

"Raiders coach Lane Kiffin says there's a lot to be said about body language. With that in mind, it looks like Daunte Culpepper is the new starting quarterback for his Oakland Raiders.

Culpepper walked off the practice field with a broad smile Tuesday, and kept it grinning in the locker room after Kiffin told reporters he informed Culpepper and Josh McCown which player won the quarterback competition.

Kiffin said he "might" go public with his decision today. Culpepper's demeanor, coupled with McCown's sighs and frowns, spoke volumes when Kiffin wouldn't.

"Can't say," McCown said with a shrug by his locker.

"Don't ask ... I don't want to lie to you," Culpepper said with a laugh one stall over."

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

Rodster wrote:The San Francisco Chronicle thinks Culpepper will get the starting role.
Adam Schefter is reporting McCown is the starter.
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

It's the Raiders...does anyone (even Raider fans) care? Will it matter? Okay, they'll go from the first to third pick in the draft. Good work. We'll probably find out Sunday for sure who is the starter.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

ScoopBrady wrote:
Rodster wrote:The San Francisco Chronicle thinks Culpepper will get the starting role.
Adam Schefter is reporting McCown is the starter.
My money is on Jimmy Clausen :)
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

The Colts looked pretty amazing last night, especially their defense. They had no trouble shutting down one of the best offenses in the league. I didn't think they would suffer a real letdown from winning the Super Bowl but also didn't expect them to look that good out of the gate, especially with the number of personnel they lost in the off season.

I hope the Saints rebound from the loss. They're a fun team to watch and it would be nice to see the franchise create some consistency.

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

Reggie Bush suxors
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I still have not heard or read anywhere on the net if Cpepp is starting for the Oakland, I hope he does.

The bigger question is how did Oakland skirt around not naming their starting QB for so long? I was under the impression that the NFL requires teams to name their starters by mid week so teams can prepare for the game.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Rodster wrote:I still have not heard or read anywhere on the net if Cpepp is starting for the Oakland, I hope he does.

The bigger question is how did Oakland skirt around not naming their starting QB for so long? I was under the impression that the NFL requires teams to name their starters by mid week so teams can prepare for the game.
Your impression is incorrect. They don't have to divulge any information in terms of players that are starting. The only thing they have to do is give the NFL the injury report...which can kinda help unless you are the Patriots who somehow seem to get away with giving the vague answers so no one really has no idea.

Please guys...don't get too excited about Culpepper...you're bound to be disappointed as I was last year, and Vikings fans the year before that (even before he got hurt).

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

CW is airing NFL games?

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

:lol: at refs in Bear Charger game....NBA anyone?

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

How many Bears fans are there in SD? It sounds like a neutral site LOL
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin