2007 NCAA Football Discussion

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

After all my OSU bashing in this thread( I think mostly justified with some of my Wolverine bias slipping in) I am going to make this prediction.

OSU will beat whom ever they play in the title game 8)

I hate Tressel and think hes a total d*****bag but I know a great coach when I see one.

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

I have absolutely loved this season! There is no way in creation that the BCS can save any face now...none. :P They've got their short 'n' curlies in a twist now, and their stupid political system will never get them out of it. There will be no way to legitimately crown a NC this year, and I, for one, couldn't be happier. I don't think they've been able to crown a legitimate NC since the inception of this braindead program.

PLAYOFFS!
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

Hawaii deserves to play in the championship game. That's the only way the BCS can save face.
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

bkrich83
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bkrich83 »

tjung0831 wrote:Hawaii deserves to play in the championship game. That's the only way the BCS can save face.
Yeah that'd be great. Then every team could play 2 D-1AA teams and face the 120th ranked schedule to get in to the title game.
-BK

bdunn13
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdunn13 »

Its LSU/OSU.... If there were another week in the season Georgia would be #2 right now. Why vote Georgia #4 in the first place is what I am wondering if you know they are not going to play for the SEC?

Likewise, last year alot of the guys on ESPN were calling for a OSU/Michigan rematch when of course Michigan did not win their conference. This year the same people on ESPN are saying Georgia should not play for the title b/c they did not win the SEC. I can live with the fact georgia is not going to play for the title.. It was a rebuilding year, but please just be consistent. I think if Georgia were Florida, Florida would be in the title game... Georgia is no media darling like Notre Dame, LSU, Florida.

Now we are going to goto the Sugar bowl and get Kansas or HI... which both are lose lose games for Georgia. Sucks for Georgia fans.
XBL: bdunn13
PSN: bdunn13

Zlax45
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zlax45 »

bdunn13 wrote:Its LSU/OSU.... If there were another week in the season Georgia would be #2 right now. Why vote Georgia #4 in the first place is what I am wondering if you know they are not going to play for the SEC?

Likewise, last year alot of the guys on ESPN were calling for a OSU/Michigan rematch when of course Michigan did not win their conference. This year the same people on ESPN are saying Georgia should not play for the title b/c they did not win the SEC. I can live with the fact georgia is not going to play for the title.. It was a rebuilding year, but please just be consistent. I think if Georgia were Florida, Florida would be in the title game... Georgia is no media darling like Notre Dame, LSU, Florida.

Now we are going to goto the Sugar bowl and get Kansas or HI... which both are lose lose games for Georgia. Sucks for Georgia fans.
Agreed, Bdunn...BC is going to get passed over by Clemson for the Peach Bowl.
My xbox live name is "The Zlax45"

bkrich83
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bkrich83 »

bdunn13 wrote:Its LSU/OSU.... If there were another week in the season Georgia would be #2 right now. Why vote Georgia #4 in the first place is what I am wondering if you know they are not going to play for the SEC?

Sucks, I was really hoping to play you guys out here in the Rose. Imo, UGA and USC are the two hottest teams in the nation right now. As it looks, we're getting Illinois, which is a lose lose game for USC.

I looked at the BCS Bowl Projections this morning, every game looks like a dog.
-BK

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

bkrich83 wrote:
tjung0831 wrote:Hawaii deserves to play in the championship game. That's the only way the BCS can save face.
Yeah that'd be great. Then every team could play 2 D-1AA teams and face the 120th ranked schedule to get in to the title game.
Like the BCS has anything to lose at this point...
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

bdunn13
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdunn13 »

bkrich83 wrote:

Sucks, I was really hoping to play you guys out here in the Rose. Imo, UGA and USC are the two hottest teams in the nation right now. As it looks, we're getting Illinois, which is a lose lose game for USC.

I have been hoping for a USC/UGA matchup for weeks now.. Not that I think Georgia would win, but b/c it would bring the most respect to UGA even if we lost.

Why punish Kansas or Hawaii by making them play a 2 loss Georgia team?

Let a 2 loss Georgia team play the Trojans... I think Georgia loses by double digits but its still the game I want.

jondiehl
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jondiehl »

Well, looks like the voters got it right. LSU and Ohio State in the final, all is right in the NCAA Football world I guess.

Good to see that Mizzou didn't fall too far, and stayed above KU as they should be. I'm shocked that West Virginia didn't fall alot further after falling to an unranked sub-.500 team.
XBoxJon
[url=http://live.xbox.com/member/XBoxJon]Gamer Profile[/url]
[url=http://live.xbox.com/en-us/profile/MessageCenter/SendMessage.aspx?gt=XBoxJon]Send me a XBL message[/url]

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

jondiehl wrote:Well, looks like the voters got it right. LSU and Ohio State in the final, all is right in the NCAA Football world I guess.
Why is that right, when USC and Georgia are arguably the two best teams in the nation right now?

PLAY-F*CKING-OFFS!

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

I think you can make a case for a lot of teams this year, but I really believe you should have to win your conference to be in the title game.

I think Ohio St. in the game makes sense. Yes, the way they got there is ass backwards and they played an easier schedule than a lot of 2-loss teams. But they lost only one game to a ranked Illinois team. In this crazy year, that should allow them into the title game.

The tough part is picking the opponent. LSU probably makes the most sense, though. They won the toughest conference and lost both of their games in OT, including to a team now ranked in the top 25. They have fewer problems than the other contenders:

--Georgia: didn't win their conference

--VA Tech: can't really put them ahead of LSU when LSU tatooed them earlier.

--Oklahoma: Stoops has a case with beating the #1 team, but those Colorado and Texas Tech losses are ugly.

--USC: Probably the most deserving after LSU, but hard to put them ahead due to that Stanford loss.

--Hawaii: they deserve a BCS bowl because even with that schedule, they definitely have the firepower to beat some of these teams. But BK is right, you can't put them in the title game with that schedule.

So I can see why the AP put OSU-LSU at 1-2. They both sucked the least this year.

The BCS title game: feel the excrement, er, excitement!

bkrich83
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bkrich83 »

bdunn13 wrote:
bkrich83 wrote:

I have been hoping for a USC/UGA matchup for weeks now.. Not that I think Georgia would win, but b/c it would bring the most respect to UGA even if we lost.

Why punish Kansas or Hawaii by making them play a 2 loss Georgia team?

Let a 2 loss Georgia team play the Trojans... I think Georgia loses by double digits but its still the game I want.
The way you guys have been playing? No way you lose by double digits. A UGA win seems quite likely.

I am with you though,I want to play UGA, because I think the Trojans get a lot more respect win or lose vs. UGA than they do vs. Illinois.
-BK

Dimmu
Mario Mendoza

Post by Dimmu »

bkrich83 wrote:

Thanks for the kind words for Illinois, sorry they aren't worthy to play the mighty Trojans. Will the Illini get clobbered in the Rose Bowl if they end up there? Probably, but it sure is a big advantage to playing another home game against a team that has to travel 2000 miles. I see Ohio State is ranked #1 again. How many games did Ohio State lose this year? Wonder who beat them and where did they get beat? What a complete lack of respect.

bkrich83
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bkrich83 »

Dimmu wrote:
bkrich83 wrote:

Thanks for the kind words for Illinois, sorry they aren't worthy to play the mighty Trojans. Will the Illini get clobbered in the Rose Bowl if they end up there? Probably, but it sure is a big advantage to playing another home game against a team that has to travel 2000 miles. I see Ohio State is ranked #1 again. How many games did Ohio State lose this year? Wonder who beat them and where did they get beat? What a complete lack of respect.
It's not a knock on Illinois. But from a national perspective USC would get more respect by playing UGA.

USC has nothing to gain and everything to lose by playing Illinois. If they win, so what they were supposed to win, if they lose then they are the most overrated team ever.

The Home field point is moot,since Illinois would be in So. Cal for the better part of a month to prepare for that game, not to mention travelling west to play is a lot easier than travelling east from a time zone perspective.

If you really think about it, Mizzou who probably will play in the Holliday Bowl is probably more deserving than Illinois anyway. Better record, and they beat Illinois head to head.
-BK

Dimmu
Mario Mendoza

Post by Dimmu »

bkrich83 wrote:
Dimmu wrote:
bkrich83 wrote: Sucks, I was really hoping to play you guys out here in the Rose. Imo, UGA and USC are the two hottest teams in the nation right now. As it looks, we're getting Illinois, which is a lose lose game for USC.

It's not a knock on Illinois. But from a national perspective USC would get more respect by playing UGA.

USC has nothing to gain and everything to lose by playing Illinois. If they win, so what they were supposed to win, if they lose then they are the most overrated team ever.

The Home field point is moot,since Illinois would be in So. Cal for the better part of a month to prepare for that game, not to mention travelling west to play is a lot easier than travelling east from a time zone perspective.

If you really think about it, Mizzou who probably will play in the Holliday Bowl is probably more deserving than Illinois anyway. Better record, and they beat Illinois head to head.
Mizzou is getting screwed royally if they go from #1 to the Holiday Bowl. That being said, the game against the Illini was decided on an Illinois fumble by the backup QB at the 1/2 yard line that was returned 100 yards for a TD and hence, a 6 point loss. That game was a very entertaining game and was really pretty even as the score would indicate but a loss is a loss. The last time the Illini went to the Rose Bowl, they jacked around for a couple of weeks and got drilled by UCLA 45-9. If they actually spend a month there (haven't heard when they will head out) then the travel won't affect them at all. It's the number of fans that will represent each team that I was more referring to as there will likely be a decided advantage from a purely fan representation point. Of course, that didn't seem to matter at Ohio State.

If USC loses to Illinois (that is not likely to happen), I wouldn't consider them to be the most overrated team ever. Ohio State would have to be considered to be more overrated since they were #1 when they got beat and they are back at #1 now. Like I said, there generally seems to be a huge lack of respect for the Illini by those outside of the Midwest that don't get to watch them on a weekly basis (not necessarily by you but from a national perspective definitely, as you mentioned). Honestly, most Illini fans are stunned at what the team did this year, expecting 5 or 6 wins max and getting 9. We're thrilled just at the prospect of being in a bowl game (any bowl is an enormous improvement over what we have typically come to expect). Don't mean for this to sound like I'm picking on you specifically but the media sure does get hung up on certain teams and conferences.

bkrich83
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bkrich83 »

Dimmu wrote:
bkrich83 wrote:
Dimmu wrote: Thanks for the kind words for Illinois, sorry they aren't worthy to play the mighty Trojans. Will the Illini get clobbered in the Rose Bowl if they end up there? Probably, but it sure is a big advantage to playing another home game against a team that has to travel 2000 miles. I see Ohio State is ranked #1 again. How many games did Ohio State lose this year? Wonder who beat them and where did they get beat? What a complete lack of respect.

Mizzou is getting screwed royally if they go from #1 to the Holiday Bowl. That being said, the game against the Illini was decided on an Illinois fumble by the backup QB at the 1/2 yard line that was returned 100 yards for a TD and hence, a 6 point loss. That game was a very entertaining game and was really pretty even as the score would indicate but a loss is a loss. The last time the Illini went to the Rose Bowl, they jacked around for a couple of weeks and got drilled by UCLA 45-9. If they actually spend a month there (haven't heard when they will head out) then the travel won't affect them at all. It's the number of fans that will represent each team that I was more referring to as there will likely be a decided advantage from a purely fan representation point. Of course, that didn't seem to matter at Ohio State.

If USC loses to Illinois (that is not likely to happen), I wouldn't consider them to be the most overrated team ever. Ohio State would have to be considered to be more overrated since they were #1 when they got beat and they are back at #1 now. Like I said, there generally seems to be a huge lack of respect for the Illini by those outside of the Midwest that don't get to watch them on a weekly basis (not necessarily by you but from a national perspective definitely, as you mentioned). Honestly, most Illini fans are stunned at what the team did this year, expecting 5 or 6 wins max and getting 9. We're thrilled just at the prospect of being in a bowl game (any bowl is an enormous improvement over what we have typically come to expect). Don't mean for this to sound like I'm picking on you specifically but the media sure does get hung up on certain teams and conferences.
I've seen Illinois play. Nothing but respect for them. I think they are obviously a very very good club. But if you were a USC fan who would you rather play? Illinois or UGA? That's all I am saying. I see Illinois as lose/lose for USC. For me UGA seems to be a much more appealing matchup. If you were me, you would feel differently?
-BK

Dimmu
Mario Mendoza

Post by Dimmu »

bkrich83 wrote:
Dimmu wrote:
bkrich83 wrote: It's not a knock on Illinois. But from a national perspective USC would get more respect by playing UGA.

I've seen Illinois play. Nothing but respect for them. I think they are obviously a very very good club. But if you were a USC fan who would you rather play? Illinois or UGA? That's all I am saying. I see Illinois as lose/lose for USC. For me UGA seems to be a much more appealing matchup. If you were me, you would feel differently?
I would probably feel the same if I were a USC fan and I can see why a USC fan would feel that way. Maybe in a couple of years, you guys would see a matchup with the Illini as better than a UGA matchup. I can hope that will be the case.

Zlax45
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zlax45 »

The AP poll does not matter...remember that.
My xbox live name is "The Zlax45"

bkrich83
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bkrich83 »

Dimmu wrote:
I would probably feel the same if I were a USC fan and I can see why a USC fan would feel that way. Maybe in a couple of years, you guys would see a matchup with the Illini as better than a UGA matchup. I can hope that will be the case.
The way things are going now, I would say that's inevitable.
-BK

macsomjrr
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by macsomjrr »

OMG this is absolute worst ending to a great season of college football. USC v. Illinois? C'mon. This is a total joke. No disrespect to the fighting illini but how in the heck do you deserve to play in the Rose Bowl over Mizzou?

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

macsomjrr wrote:OMG this is absolute worst ending to a great season of college football. USC v. Illinois? C'mon. This is a total joke. No disrespect to the fighting illini but how in the heck do you deserve to play in the Rose Bowl over Mizzou?
or KANSAS playing ahead of Mizzou!!!!!!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Mizzou gets screwed.

bdunn13
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdunn13 »

XXXIV wrote:Mizzou gets screwed.
So does Georgia for the 3rd time in 5 years.. and I am not talking about Georgia not playing for the title.

There is not one attractive matchup in the BCS this year.

I hope Georgia never schedules a quality out of conference team again. Its pointless doing so and just puts your season at risk.

Why was Georgia even ranked 4th last week when everyone knew they did not have a chance to win the SEC? Why did they get jumped by by 3 teams when they did not play and OSU moves up when they did not play.

Why does Kirk double talk. "OSU has not played anyone but they still deserve to play for the championship."

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

bdunn13 wrote:
XXXIV wrote:Mizzou gets screwed.
So does Georgia for the 3rd time in 5 years.. and I am not talking about Georgia not playing for the title.

Why does Kirk double talk. "OSU has not played anyone but they still deserve to play for the championship."
I do agree with you. I just wanted to keep my rant simple. OSU scheduled trash and they are in. Kirk double talks for the obvious reason. He went to OSU.

Its obvious we need a playoff to everyone but the assholes at the NCAA.

Ill make the first prediction OSU 20 LSU 13. Afterall I am from the Big 10 :P