Tiger Woods 08 impressions

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

The PC version is a major disappointment to me and the PC community. I am hoping that the TW PC Producer will listen to the concerns of the community (and I can guarantee you they ARE reading the forums at EA, OS, XBox.com, etc...). This Tiburon development team is committed to turning the TW franchise around (save for the 08 PC in its current state)...
So, is TW 2006 still considered the best golf game for PC?

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

DChaps wrote:
The PC version is a major disappointment to me and the PC community. I am hoping that the TW PC Producer will listen to the concerns of the community (and I can guarantee you they ARE reading the forums at EA, OS, XBox.com, etc...). This Tiburon development team is committed to turning the TW franchise around (save for the 08 PC in its current state)...
So, is TW 2006 still considered the best golf game for PC?
The last really good TW PC version was 2004, IMHO.

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

DivotMaker wrote:
Spooky wrote:No offense to anyone but I am very skeptical. We seem to have this same EXACT thread every year. The game has gotten harder, the courses are better, etc...
Don't believe me, fine. However, I am far from the only person that is mentioning how much improved this game is.

http://forums.xbox.com/710/ShowForum.aspx

Like I keep saying, rent the game if you can't bring yourself to believe myself or the others who have the game....
Not just you by an means my man. Just the same early impressions all around here and elsewhere every year it seems like.
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

I'm playing on the PC, so it sounds like I should just stick with the 07 version. I think Clambakers is doing the same thing too.

jimd
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by jimd »

DivotMaker wrote:TW08 plays so much more challenging than 07 ever could even in TOUR Pro. Every difficulty level has been improved and mis- hits and improper tempo will GREATLY impact your shot results. I HIGHLY recommend that you spend a great deal of time practicing in this game before starting Career or PGA TOUR mode. Quite honestly, it is a MAJOR challenge to hit the ball straight and "Perfect" in this game. Right now I would estimate that I am hitting a perfect shot 1 in 20 swings and a straight shot 2 in 10. They have really modelled mis- hits and tempo extremely well considering the short time I have had to play the game.
Are these comments based on using the analog swing method or three-hit method?

Is there a difference?

Which is the default?

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

jimd wrote:
DivotMaker wrote:TW08 plays so much more challenging than 07 ever could even in TOUR Pro. Every difficulty level has been improved and mis- hits and improper tempo will GREATLY impact your shot results. I HIGHLY recommend that you spend a great deal of time practicing in this game before starting Career or PGA TOUR mode. Quite honestly, it is a MAJOR challenge to hit the ball straight and "Perfect" in this game. Right now I would estimate that I am hitting a perfect shot 1 in 20 swings and a straight shot 2 in 10. They have really modelled mis- hits and tempo extremely well considering the short time I have had to play the game.
Are these comments based on using the analog swing method or three-hit method?

Is there a difference?

Which is the default?
Both methods.

I haven't seen any difference so far.

Default is analog and by pressing down on the right stick in any difficulty other than TOUR Pro, you can get the 3-click swing. 3-click is excluded for TOUR Pro play....

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

Rodster wrote:
DivotMaker wrote:
Rodster wrote:Wrt the console version both you and BigberthaEA over at OS has convinced me to buy the 360 version. And who says rumble doesn't matter and that it was last gen, oh yeah it was Sony. ;)
I am BB EA over there. Have not figured out how to change my username there as it goes way back to when OS first started.
Rodster wrote:Thanks for the impressions Divot, keep 'em coming and maybe we can hookup on XBL and play some matches. :D

gamertag = Rodster360
That would be cool....look forward to it.
That's easy, drop any of the mods like Extremegamer, Rockytop1, Holic a PM and they'll change it for you or they'll give you the info to do it yourself. :D Someone recently changed his username so I know it can be done.

Drop me a friends request so we can play sometime this week. :)
Thanks for the advice...Steve at OS granted the username change, so I am good to go...

Will send you a friend request next time I am on...

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

DivotMaker wrote: Thanks for the advice...Steve at OS granted the username change, so I am good to go...

Will send you a friend request next time I am on...
Look forward to playing on line with ya. Go easy on me man. :D

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

TW08 demo up on XB Live.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Divot would you mind explaining the lockup glitch some have been reporting. Is it wide spread? When or where is it happening in the game? Have you encountered it? Are there any work arounds?

Is EA aware of this and can it be patched?

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

Rodster wrote:Divot would you mind explaining the lockup glitch some have been reporting. Is it wide spread? When or where is it happening in the game? Have you encountered it? Are there any work arounds?

Is EA aware of this and can it be patched?
Sure. It is in one of the Career Mode event clusters around Chris DeMarco on Carnoustie. The opponent is Henrietta Brockaway and the game freezes at one of the in-between holes loading screens. I played it the first time and saw no issues and got a Bronze medal. Tried to replay it and it froze twice. Since this issue occurs pretty early in Career Mode (about 15-20 hours in the game for me), I think that EA will have to address this in some way. I also tried pressing the A button during 360 startup to clear the cache and that did not work the first time, although others have stated that it does work.

I sent off a note to the Executive Producer this AM, but I am confident they are already aware of it because they are actively reading the feedback on the forums.

Hope that helps....

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Thanks for the clarification Divot. Understandably i'm going to put a hold on this game until we get some word from EA directly and or resolution. FIFA 08 looks incredible this year and money is tight. :(

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

Rodster wrote:Thanks for the clarification Divot. Understandably i'm going to put a hold on this game until we get some word from EA directly and or resolution. FIFA 08 looks incredible this year and money is tight. :(

EA has told me that they are investigating the root cause and as soon as they are certain of what causes this issue, they will be sending out an update to fix it over XB Live.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

I'm so glad the PC version supports 1920x1200....what the f*ck? Why not?

They haven't improved the graphics at all, yet somehow it runs considerably worse this year. What a let down. I guess I'll pick up the 360 version and stay away from the career mode till it's patched.

Maybe the PSP version won't disappoint. :x

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

dbdynsty25 wrote:I'm so glad the PC version supports 1920x1200....what the f*ck? Why not?
Great f'ing question. Could not agree more.
dbdynsty25 wrote:They haven't improved the graphics at all, yet somehow it runs considerably worse this year. What a let down. I guess I'll pick up the 360 version and stay away from the career mode till it's patched.
Amazing how it runs worse than 07...and I have an upgraded video card X1950 Pro from an X850XT....
dbdynsty25 wrote:Maybe the PSP version won't disappoint. :x
07 PSP version sucked IMO....hope 08 is better...

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

I'm on the fence for this one. Tried the demo today, and it seems a nice game, but the difficulty on that is so easy tough to make any real judgments. I'll likely keep myself busy with NCAA and Bioshock the next week and see how people are feeling then about TW.

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

Naples39 wrote:I'm on the fence for this one. Tried the demo today, and it seems a nice game, but the difficulty on that is so easy tough to make any real judgments. I'll likely keep myself busy with NCAA and Bioshock the next week and see how people are feeling then about TW.
EA Sports demos are always set to the easiest gameplay setting. I can assure you the full game will give you all you want in terms of challenge and difficulty....

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

DivotMaker wrote:
Naples39 wrote:I'm on the fence for this one. Tried the demo today, and it seems a nice game, but the difficulty on that is so easy tough to make any real judgments. I'll likely keep myself busy with NCAA and Bioshock the next week and see how people are feeling then about TW.
EA Sports demos are always set to the easiest gameplay setting. I can assure you the full game will give you all you want in terms of challenge and difficulty....
Yeah, I know about the difficulty on the demo being super easy. It's more that I can't try out how the game feels on the harder difficulties myself. I'm sure the challenge can be there, but the real test of a golf game is having a stern challenge without feeling unfair. Worst case scenario you have a 'hard' game where every hit is either perfect or terrible. The best games almost never give you perfect hits but a wide variety of shots ranging from good to poor.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

DivotMaker wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote:They haven't improved the graphics at all, yet somehow it runs considerably worse this year. What a let down. I guess I'll pick up the 360 version and stay away from the career mode till it's patched.
Amazing how it runs worse than 07...and I have an upgraded video card X1950 Pro from an X850XT....
Honestly guys I have a middle of the road PC rig with a nVidia 7900GTO and the game is very smooth. The only time I see a pause is usually the first shot off the first hole.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

I picked up the PSP version. It's been a great travel companion for me over the years and from what I've seen so far, they haven't done much in the graphics department, I seem to have more control fading and drawing the ball and the spins are more accurate in this version.

I am however having problems reading the speed of the greens, not so much the breaks and direction but the speed. They want you to have an aerial view now prior to putting but it doesn't do anything for me. Other than that so far so good.

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

Naples39 wrote:Yeah, I know about the difficulty on the demo being super easy. It's more that I can't try out how the game feels on the harder difficulties myself. I'm sure the challenge can be there, but the real test of a golf game is having a stern challenge without feeling unfair. Worst case scenario you have a 'hard' game where every hit is either perfect or terrible. The best games almost never give you perfect hits but a wide variety of shots ranging from good to poor.
Then rent it....

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Rodster wrote:Honestly guys I have a middle of the road PC rig with a nVidia 7900GTO and the game is very smooth. The only time I see a pause is usually the first shot off the first hole.
What resolution are you playing at?

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Rodster wrote:Honestly guys I have a middle of the road PC rig with a nVidia 7900GTO and the game is very smooth. The only time I see a pause is usually the first shot off the first hole.
What resolution are you playing at?
1280x1024x32 and all graphics settings are maxed out.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

I just got home with my copy of TW08. Gonna fire it up later. The Phils/Mets take precedence tonight. I already uploaded pics for my game face :) Yes, I am a dork :lol:
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Rodster wrote:1280x1024x32 and all graphics settings are maxed out.
Bump it up to the max widescreen resolution and then see how it runs. I've still got 07 installed and it runs significantly better than 08.