Apple and Macs: New products, iMacs, iWork, iLife

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Apple and Macs: New products, iMacs, iWork, iLife

Post by JRod »

i is iOverused..

Anyway just thought I would post some stuff about this since it seems more and more people are looking at Apple stuff.

There are new imacs but I haven't really given them a look. I might get a new one next year, so I can turn this old iMac into the Football Manager Machine. There's a new keyboard that I'm going to pick up because the iMac keyboard is a unresponsive POS. I already suck at typing and I don't need to fight a keyboard.

The new iLife is something some of you might be interested in. Since I don't do much with picture, video or music I haven't even given my iLife 06 much thought. I'm interested in hearing what it does differently.

However, I desperately needed a new Office Suite. I had iWork 06 and it was functional. For those that don't know, iWork is Pages(documents), Keynote, (powerpoint) and now Numbers (spread sheet).

In iwork 06, I did some nice amatuer graphic documents that came out looking professionally done. Right now I'm working on a business proposal that needs a great look to it along with some spreadsheet manipulation. iWork 08 has addressed the lack of spreadsheets with its Numbers program. For mac users this is a huge thing because either you would need to buy MS Office:mac or download openoffice or soemthing. Before I get into numbers they have also added a much needed editor bar, which is what MS Office has had or years. Not anything revolutionary but it was a huge problem in iWork 06.

Numbers is probably the best looking spreadsheet editor I've seen. Anyway, while you probably aren't going to any heavy numbers manipulation, it serves as a great entry level to medium usage spread sheet editor. Last night, I needed to set-up a spreadsheet that would dynamically calculate an budget for employees. I needed to change the salaries, and remove/add position to get an idea for the budget. I watched some of the tutorials for Numbers and within an hour I accomplished a spreadsheet that does exactly what I asked.

Lastly the way they set this up is unique. In excel (I haven't tried the newest version) if you had two tables you needed to either have two sheets or position them on the table so as to not intefere with the other tables data. Numbers is basically a WYSIWYG speadsheet program. On sheet 1, I have two tables, one graph and some text. Moving that stuff around in Excel is an effort and generally screws with your data.

I couldn't be happier with iWork 08. It's a suberb alternative to MS Office but it excels in creating great looking documents. I can't say enough good things about iWork. Granted its market is probably people like me, not graphic designers but people needed an entry level program for good looking documents. Keynote kills Power Point in terms of presenation. Haveing seen both PP and Keynote presentations in my work experience, Keynote always seems to look professional while even the best PP look like it was done by a 9th grade graphic arts class. Numbers is nice and much needed. And pages allows everyday users a fighting chance to have good looking documents.
[url=http://sensiblecoasters.wordpress.com/][b]Sensible Coasters - A critique of sports games, reviews, gaming sites and news. Questionably Proofread![/b][/url]

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

Absolutely love all the new updates. Hit the Apple store today and messed around with the new iMacs. I think they are really sharp. The glossy screen will definitely cause some controversy but I like it a lot. I have always been a sucker for that type of screen on laptops though.

The updates for iLife are really neat as well (with the exception of the iMovie feature removals - although the new interface us really cool and simple which is what the iLife apps should be). The iphoto stuff is awesome.

Anyone want to buy my iMac so I can upgrade?
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Those new IMacs sure do look sweet! Numbers sounds intriguing as well.

http://news.com.com/1606-2-6201319.html?tag=cnetfd.mt

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Yawn. More products to cement their status as a toy computer.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

The only thing I found myself using my Mac for was the internet, because of the Mac not being as problematic with spyware and viruses. That's why I went back to using my PC. I can play all the latest games etc and use the internet although I need to use spyware and virus programs which sux.

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

dbdynsty25 wrote:Yawn. More products to cement their status as a toy computer.
Why do you say that? Besides hardcore PC gaming (yawn) what can't you do on a Mac that you need to so badly?

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Spooky wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote:Yawn. More products to cement their status as a toy computer.
Why do you say that? Besides hardcore PC gaming (yawn) what can't you do on a Mac that you need to so badly?
I can only speak for myself but the reasons I switched back is for gaming, upgradeability, costs of upgrades and software choices and prices. Most Apple software is premium priced whereas Windows software is very competitive.

There are some business programs on the Windows side I can't find a good equivalent on the Mac. Hardware prices for video cards etc for the PC are usually very competitve with the latest and greatest.

I like the Mac but I feel I have more choices, options and better pricing on the PC side.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Thanks Rod. Didn't feel like typing this morning.

matthewk
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by matthewk »

Spooky wrote:Why do you say that? Besides hardcore PC gaming (yawn) what can't you do on a Mac that you need to so badly?
Easily integrate with 95% of the computing population. Especially when it comes to business.
-Matt

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

matthewk wrote:
Spooky wrote:Why do you say that? Besides hardcore PC gaming (yawn) what can't you do on a Mac that you need to so badly?
Easily integrate with 95% of the computing population. Especially when it comes to business.
And as DB has said numerous times, that's one of the reasons why Apple users encounter fewer viruses and trojans. Hackers want to wreak the most havoc possible.

Reaching 5 percent of the computing population falls just a smidge short of that goal, so they focus their malicious efforts on Windows PC's.

Sure, Windows is bloated and insecure, but people point to Apple's OS like it's an impregnable fortress, a virtual Gibraltar. I'm sure if hackers wanted to devote as much time to blowing open Apple's OS as Windows, they'd find a way.

Simple analogy: If you want to be heard by the masses, you scream through a bullhorn on a Manhattan street corner, not in the middle of some cornfield in Nebraska.

Take care,
PK
Last edited by pk500 on Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

Totally understood. Thanks for the clarification.

It's funny...the things mentioned on why you guys like Windows based machines are EXACTLY why I can't stand them.

I work in the IT filed but am not a tech geek so the last thing I want to do when I get home is build a computer or have to upgrade parts to be compatible with the latest games.

I LOVE the simplicity of the iMac and for my everyday use (photos, music, some video and internet) it runs great. The other nice thing about Mac's is the resale value. So if I do want/need to upgrade every 3 years or so, I can sell my old one for a decent price to put towards the new machine. Probably equals out to what others would have to spend over the course of a couple years to upgrade thier Windows box.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Spooky:

The resale value is a good point, man. Much like Harley-Davidson, Apple has created quite a mystique surrounding its products through which it can charge inflated prices and get great resale values.

I'm not saying Harleys and Apple stuff sucks. Not at all. But the mystique does add to the price tag.

Still, Apple offers some values. The 80 GB video iPod for $349 is a fine deal. The iPod is about the only product for which Apple can offer great deals due to the economy of scale since it dominates the MP3 player market. Maybe the iPhone will gain that status in time, too.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Yup...value-wise. IPods are pretty much the only thing worth the money when it comes to Apple products. That's why it is the only product I own. The 80gb is worth every penny. It also helps that THEY are the market leader, therefor everything (accessories) are made for them to integrate with damn near everything. Kinda like the PC...

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

f*** 5 posts in and why are talking about how iMacs aren't PCs. Congrats captian obvious.

If you are just posting to be a dick like usual don't repond to any of my posts. What a f***in dick.
[url=http://sensiblecoasters.wordpress.com/][b]Sensible Coasters - A critique of sports games, reviews, gaming sites and news. Questionably Proofread![/b][/url]

EZSnappin
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by EZSnappin »

pk500 wrote:Much like Harley-Davidson, Apple has created quite a mystique surrounding its products through which it can charge inflated prices and get great resale values.

I'm not saying Harleys and Apple stuff sucks. Not at all. But the mystique does add to the price tag.
This is no longer the truth (though it was for many years). To build a Windows based PC (Macs are PCs too people) with a hardware and software package like the iMac is not the half-price option it once was. The switch to intel chips has helped cut the price considerably.

There are things Windows PCs do better, and there are things Macs do better. People will have preferences based on their needs or their familiarity; I've had to use Windows PCs for work over the years but haven't ever had one at home. My wife has never had to use Windows period because for her field (design) the Mac has aways been the market leader.

But myths of cost and personal beefs and BS aside, I'm excited about the new iMac and intrigued by the iLife update (I play around with Garageband), but I have little use for iWork even though Numbers looks interesting. We're probably going to add a new computer this winter and the upgrades to the iMac may mean we don't have to swing for the fences with a new tower to replace the old dual G4. Since we'll be upgrading the Adobe package at the same time I'd love to be able to save $ on something.

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

EZSnappin wrote:but I have little use for iWork even though Numbers looks interesting.
You said you wife was in graphic design or some sort of design. Ya iWork isn't going to replace the Adobe suite. But for people that don't need a suite in the 1-2 G range, iWork does the job.

Maybe I'll post some screens later of numbers. It's a different beast than excel so far.

EZSnappin
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by EZSnappin »

JRod wrote:You said you wife was in graphic design or some sort of design. Ya iWork isn't going to replace the Adobe suite. But for people that don't need a suite in the 1-2 G range, iWork does the job.

Maybe I'll post some screens later of numbers. It's a different beast than excel so far.
That would be great - love to see it "in use". And yeah, InDesign kind of supersedes any need I might have for Pages. If I ever need Keynote, please shoot me.

Sport73
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sport73 »

matthewk wrote:
I tried to restrain myself from replying, but just couldn't:

1. Most PC users who 'hate' the Mac have never used one, especially not as their daily machine in the last 3 years. Most Mac users who 'hate' the PC have used one as their daily machine, or are still doing so thanks to their employer. Who's better informed?

2. How do Macs fail to integrate with the PC world? I use a Mac at work; I'm on the active directory, access and share server files, exchange word documents, excel spreadsheets etc. And get my email, share my calendar and more without issue. I've yet to have a file cross my desk that 'cared' that I was using a Mac. Oh, and I use Parallels and VMware to test antivirus software in Windows VMs because i couldnt risk playing with them on an actual Windows machine without hosing it. I also have a Linux VM. So, I run all 3 popular OS's, with fast speed and full compatibility on one machine? How does that fail to integrate?

3. Go buy a 'bargain' PC, accessories, and software necessary for entertainment, communication and productivity and you'll find the price of a Mac is quite competitive. Don't take my word for it, search the web as there are a bunch of independent articles (recent) that prove the point.

4. Apple products are certainly aesthetically more pleasing and better integrated between hardware and software than the PC. No driver issues etc. They're infinitely more stable, and virus free. They include wifi, DVD burners and integrated webcams, and include the best creative and digital lifestyle applications in the world. With bootcamp or Parallels you cab run ANY Windows software, inlcuding ALL games. How do they fail to integrate?
Last edited by Sport73 on Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sport73

"Can't we all just get along? I'll turn this car around RIGHT now!"

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

Thanks Sport. I didn't feel like typing this morning.
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

matthewk
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by matthewk »

Sport73 wrote: I tried to restrain myself from replying, buy just couldn't:
Of course you couldn't. The topic does have "Mac" in it after all.
Sport73 wrote: 1. Most PC users who 'hate' the Mac have never used one, especially not as their daily machine in the last 3 years. Most Mac users who 'hate' the PC have used one as their daily machine, or are still doing so thanks to their employer. Who's better informed?
Did I say anything about hating Macs? Didn't think so. I love your spin though, that it's the mac "haters" who are uninformed. Do Mac users get commision for converting people or something?
Sport73 wrote: 2. How do Macs fail to integrate with the PC world? I use a Mac ay work; I'm on the active directory, access and share server files, exchange word documents, excel spreadsheets etc. And get my email, share my calendar and morr without issue. I've yet to have a file cross my desk that 'cared' that i was using a Mac. Oh, and I use parallels and VMware to test antivirus software in Windows VMs because i couldnt risk playing with them on an actual Windows machine without hosing it. I also have a Linux VM. So, I run all 3 popular OS's, with fast speed and full compatibility on one machine? How does that fail to integrate?
I work in IT. My company has a mixture of both Macs and PCs. Yes, the Mac users can share documents and use applications the PC users do, but it's not seamless. The macs need to use a remote desktop in order to use our in-house appliactions, and even that has issues.

I have yet to see 1 IT professional that wants a Mac when they work with Oracle, SQL Server, and .Net all day.
Sport73 wrote: 4. Apple products are certainly aesthetically more pleasing and better integrated between hardware and software than the PC. No driver issues etc. They're infinitely more stable, and virus free. They include wifi, DVD burners and integrated webcams, and include the best creative and digital lifestyle applications in the world. With bootcamp or Parallels you cab run ANY Windows software, inlcuding ALL games. How do they fail to integrate?
As has mentioned before, the only reason Macs are free of virues' is because no one bothers to create any for them.

You really do sound like a commercial for Apple.
-Matt

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

He's Justin Long.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Wow...lots of cool sh*t announced today:

IPod Touch (an Iphone without the phone)
IPod Classic (basically just a new interface and a 160GB drive, whoa, still won't fit all my music though)

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

IPhone also down to $399 for their 8GB model. A 200 dollar price cut...sh*t.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

dbdynsty25 wrote:Wow...lots of cool sh*t announced today:

IPod Touch (an Iphone without the phone)
IPod Classic (basically just a new interface and a 160GB drive, whoa, still won't fit all my music though)
Whoa thanks for the heads up db. I'm off to check out the new iPods. I already own a classic but I could use a new one with a touch screen.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Rats never mind it's only 8GB or 16GB and the prices start at $299. No thanks i'll wait till they catch up to my 30GB iPod. They do look nice. :)