Apple and Macs: New products, iMacs, iWork, iLife

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

jLp vAkEr0
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Apple and Macs: New products, iMacs, iWork, iLife

Post by jLp vAkEr0 »

Rodster wrote:I was on Ebay bidding on a 64GB White iPad. It started out at $610. The bid is now up to $750. I don't understand people sometimes, don't they know they could get it cheaper directly from Apple and there's no question regarding warranty issues?
I'd actually consider an original iPad for the right price.

But prices on Ebay are a bit ridiculous right now.

I really don't want to spend $600 right now, but I do now want to use iOS as my tablet OS.

Tired of the Touchpad in both WebOS and Android.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Yeah, know what you mean about the TouchPad. I rarely use it, glad I never bought a second one. The thing I hate most about it are the ridiculous boot times.

If and when I get an iPad it will be the current offering. I'll probably order one in a few weeks from Apple but gotta wait for my next Amex billing cycle.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Anyone experiencing really warm iPads? Seems to be a lot of buzz and complaints about over excessively warm new iPads. I have yet to experience it myself as I don't play real involved games that use a lot of energy.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

The iPad gets warmer than the iPad 2. Wooopedeedoo. I don't see the issue. My MacBook Air gets significantly hotter after less use. It's just the way it is when you start including ridiculously fast hardware in a device so thin. Nothing to worry about unless you're getting second degree burns or something. Inexperienced gadget users are getting their first iPad and complaining it gets warm. Ugh. So annoying. It also helps that it's Apple they are complaining about. It's always something.

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

Same here. Mine gets warm, but nothing to where I'd describe it as "hot". I have noticed how the battery % will still drop if using it while plugged-in (I get why & don't thinks it's a bug or anything). Apple will probably ending upgrading the wall charger or something.
My Tesla referral code - get free supercharger miles!! https://ts.la/gregg43474

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

This article was posted in response to a link posted on Drudge.

"Why The iPad 3 Regressed In Battery Life"
http://www.informationweek.com/byte/new ... /232602960

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Rodster wrote:This article was posted in response to a link posted on Drudge.

"Why The iPad 3 Regressed In Battery Life"
http://www.informationweek.com/byte/new ... /232602960
Ummm...of course it regressed. When you double the resolution and multiply the data pipe by 20x, it's bound to happen. Common knowledge I thought.

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

I think this will be another one of Apple's trade-off cycle. iPhone 4S is better than the iPhone 4 in a lot of ways but iPhone 3 had some specs that were better. I'm in the 4S cycle and I think that will hold me over.

iPads seem to be following the same pattern. I don't know if I'll get the iPad 3 because it's not enough of a jump for me. When the iPad 4 comes out or Apple releases iOS6 (probably later this year) I may make the jump. Plus Apple has shown they are able to address the technical issues somewhat as their manufacturing improves. (Better parts or slightly refined parts has led to less issues.)

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

dbdynsty25 wrote:Ummm...of course it regressed. When you double the resolution and multiply the data pipe by 20x, it's bound to happen. Common knowledge I thought.
Yup....:thumbup:

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

They have double the number of LEDs for the backlight, because the smaller pixels need brighter backlight.

Next year, they will be able to take advantage of a node shrink. However, unlike the "slim" consoles, they won't use the shrink to reduce power consumption and costs with the same chips. They will put in more powerful chips so any gains in energy efficiency may be eaten up by the new CPU and GPU cores.

But the LTE/HSPA module should be more energy-efficient.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

wco81 wrote:They have double the number of LEDs for the backlight, because the smaller pixels need brighter backlight.

Next year, they will be able to take advantage of a node shrink. However, unlike the "slim" consoles, they won't use the shrink to reduce power consumption and costs with the same chips. They will put in more powerful chips so any gains in energy efficiency may be eaten up by the new CPU and GPU cores.

But the LTE/HSPA module should be more energy-efficient.
You and JRod have made me reconsider so wait till next year, thanks. :P

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

There will always be something better on the horizon. If you can make use of it now, might as well get enjoyment out of it now if you can.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

wco81 wrote:There will always be something better on the horizon. If you can make use of it now, might as well get enjoyment out of it now if you can.
Yeah unless we are talking about a month or two wait then I can understand it but that thinking in technology is silly. Buy it and enjoy it and if the "next" one suits your fancy...upgrade and sell the old one. That's the good thing about apple products...good resale value.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
wco81 wrote:There will always be something better on the horizon. If you can make use of it now, might as well get enjoyment out of it now if you can.
Yeah unless we are talking about a month or two wait then I can understand it but that thinking in technology is silly. Buy it and enjoy it and if the "next" one suits your fancy...upgrade and sell the old one. That's the good thing about apple products...good resale value.
Yeah I realize that except since owning 3 tablets i'm in no rush for a new one atm. Idk maybe i'll change my mind we'll see but my K Fire gets the most use everyday because of Amazon's ecosystem and the small tablet size.

RallyMonkey
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RallyMonkey »

I have this case for sale if anyone is interested. It's a great case, and I love the slim feel of it, but a little too sleek/slippery for the blue collar guy that I am.

$25 shipped or we can even talk trade for a used 360 game. PM me if interested.

http://store.griffintechnology.com/elan ... ith-magnet

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Leadfoot5 wrote:It sounds like you guys are looking for something to prevent scratches and the occasional thump, so this may not interest you, but I absolutely love my iPad 2 Book Back from Dodocase. I'm going to order one for my iPad 3rd Gen this week. It provides the perfect grip without adding any bulk like a normal case.

This, along with the Apple Magnetic cover is all I've ever used with my iPad 2 and it's been a great combo. But if you are prone to dropping or banging the device, this is clearly not the best option.

http://www.dodocase.com/products/bookback-for-ipad2
Got my BookBack the other day for the iPad 3 (the iPad 2 version is the same size so works perfect) and it's brilliant. I applied it without any issue (much easier than those crappy armor skins that Rod linked below). Turns out, you really can remove and re-apply the skin. My damn display started showing some issues in the bottom left corner of the screen, so I swapped it out at Apple and removed and reapplied the skin without issue. The adhesion is great and I don't think it's going to peel up. I literally needed a razor blade to even get it started. The feel and grip is improved and I don't worry about scratching it at all now. Thumbs up for sure.

So in short, I agree with Leadfoot 100%...this is the best "minimal" case/skin out there. Pair it with a smartcover of some sort and you're golden.

Thanks again for the recommendation...it's genius.

Leadfoot5
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Leadfoot5 »

Awesome, glad to hear it! Happy I could help.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

It's amazing how fast the battery runs out on the 3 compared to the one. Maybe I am just using it more but I went from 100% to 69% from reading a book for an hour.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Danimal wrote:It's amazing how fast the battery runs out on the 3 compared to the one. Maybe I am just using it more but I went from 100% to 69% from reading a book for an hour.
Wow that's like a PS Vita :)

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Checkout this 2 pack leather sleeve for $2.99 w/ free shipping :) http://1saleaday.com/wireless/

fatheadX
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by fatheadX »

1SaleaDay has sold those sleeves at least twice before, they must have a million of them. I bought one for my iPad 2 and it's very nice. It has the Verizon logo on it (very small) and the iPad fits snugly, it barely fits my iPad with a Monoprice silicone back/Smartcover front. It fits better without either cover, of course.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Leadfoot5 wrote:It sounds like you guys are looking for something to prevent scratches and the occasional thump, so this may not interest you, but I absolutely love my iPad 2 Book Back from Dodocase. I'm going to order one for my iPad 3rd Gen this week. It provides the perfect grip without adding any bulk like a normal case.

This, along with the Apple Magnetic cover is all I've ever used with my iPad 2 and it's been a great combo. But if you are prone to dropping or banging the device, this is clearly not the best option.

http://www.dodocase.com/products/bookback-for-ipad2
Got my BookBack the other day for the iPad 3 (the iPad 2 version is the same size so works perfect) and it's brilliant. I applied it without any issue (much easier than those crappy armor skins that Rod linked below). Turns out, you really can remove and re-apply the skin. My damn display started showing some issues in the bottom left corner of the screen, so I swapped it out at Apple and removed and reapplied the skin without issue. The adhesion is great and I don't think it's going to peel up. I literally needed a razor blade to even get it started. The feel and grip is improved and I don't worry about scratching it at all now. Thumbs up for sure.

So in short, I agree with Leadfoot 100%...this is the best "minimal" case/skin out there. Pair it with a smartcover of some sort and you're golden.

Thanks again for the recommendation...it's genius.
I just ordered one too. I've been looking for something that can be used with the Smart Cover. Thanks for the heads up Leadfoot/DB.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Well just ordered a 32GB Black iPad 3rd gen. I was debating on getting the 64GB model but decided on the happy middle.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Bored, were you?

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »