Soccer thread 07/08

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Jared
Site Admin
Site Admin

Soccer thread 07/08

Post by Jared »

New soccer thread.

Old soccer thread was here.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

DMB deserves the attention...
Beasley makes his mark with Rangers!!

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/report?id=223130&cc=5901

WTG, DMB!

Oh, and our progressive European comrades once again display the class and sophistication which is the hallmark of the old world. Ugly Americans continue to have much to learn

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story ... 16&cc=5901
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

RobVarak wrote:DMB deserves the attention...
Beasley makes his mark with Rangers!!

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/report?id=223130&cc=5901

WTG, DMB!

Oh, and our progressive European comrades once again display the class and sophistication which is the hallmark of the old world. Ugly Americans continue to have much to learn

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story ... 16&cc=5901
McBride started this way for Fulham. Hopefully DMB can do the same thing.
[url=http://sensiblecoasters.wordpress.com/][b]Sensible Coasters - A critique of sports games, reviews, gaming sites and news. Questionably Proofread![/b][/url]

Atxj
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Atxj »

Looks as though the toon will be without there number one between the posts come opening weekend.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/footbal ... 936823.stm

davet010
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by davet010 »

Beasley played for City last year - he's a gutless lightweight who looked poor even in a fairly useless MCFC side. As with most other parts of the team, his position has been significantly upgraded this year.
"The players come from all over the world, the money from deep underneath the Persian Gulf, but, as another, older City poster campaign put it, this is their city. They may now exist in the global spotlight, but they intend to keep it that way."

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

Dave,

What is this that I hear chanted at every english match I watch?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5FYMbLhpk1Y

devilsjaw
Mario Mendoza

Post by devilsjaw »

fsquid wrote:Dave,

What is this that I hear chanted at every english match I watch?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5FYMbLhpk1Y
The words are right there in the comments squid : Owls Fans Singing And Its Sheffield Wednesday, Sheffield Wesdnesday FC Are By Far The Greatest Team The World Has Ever Seen

Quite laughable really, :D

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

What? Read the comments? What is hilarious is that every club sings that song. I hear it at least 3 times everytime I watch an EPL match.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

What about that riot by Polish fans in Lithuania a couple of weeks ago?

There's a lot of ugliness to the "beautiful game."

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

wco81 wrote:What about that riot by Polish fans in Lithuania a couple of weeks ago?

There's a lot of ugliness to the "beautiful game."
What about it? A minority of fans continue to act like morons at matches, especially in Eastern Europe.

davet010
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by davet010 »

Most clubs' supporters (apart from the glory hunters who follow the big 4) have a strong self-deprecating streak. I remember being at Anfield in 95/96 during the ill-fated tenure of Alan Ball and getting stuffed 6-0. We got a corner and the song went up "6 down, but we're coming back" - there was 3 minutes to go at the time.
"The players come from all over the world, the money from deep underneath the Persian Gulf, but, as another, older City poster campaign put it, this is their city. They may now exist in the global spotlight, but they intend to keep it that way."

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

davet010 wrote:Most clubs' supporters (apart from the glory hunters who follow the big 4) have a strong self-deprecating streak. I remember being at Anfield in 95/96 during the ill-fated tenure of Alan Ball and getting stuffed 6-0. We got a corner and the song went up "6 down, but we're coming back" - there was 3 minutes to go at the time.
Dave:

Fair to say that the deluded faithful at St. James' Park should be added to the glory hunters of the Big 4 who don't have a self-deprecating streak?

I love Newcastle, but I'm tired of seeing supporter interviews on Sky where the fans say, "We're a MASSIVE club."

No true silverware in 50 years -- that's not a massive club. Fairs Cup doesn't count.

I still dig the Magpies, though.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

davet010
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by davet010 »

Newcastle's problem, shared by some others notably Leeds, is that they are the only club in a fairly big city, and therefore you don't get as much of the sort of back-and-forth workplace banter and dissenting opinions that you do in, say, Liverpool or Manchester. What you get more of is confirmation of your delusions by other like minded souls, fuelled by a local press which has only one sporting outfit to latch on to.

Leeds....starting in Div One with a 15 point deduction. I'm struggling to hold back the tears :lol:

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

davet010 wrote:Newcastle's problem, shared by some others notably Leeds, is that they are the only club in a fairly big city, and therefore you don't get as much of the sort of back-and-forth workplace banter and dissenting opinions that you do in, say, Liverpool or Manchester. What you get more of is confirmation of your delusions by other like minded souls, fuelled by a local press which has only one sporting outfit to latch on to.
Thanks, mate.

I'm sure editors at The Chronicle must remove "us" and "we" from Alan Oliver and Lee Ryder's NUFC reports on almost a daily basis. Unbelievable homers.

The lack of journalistic standards and overwhelming cheerleading by the Chronicle are pretty humorous, actually.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

Leeds are scum. Simo will enjoy seeing them this year.

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

Wednesday are shite. I'll see Simo next season.

pigpen81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pigpen81 »

Nice win by City on the road.

West Ham was extremely sloppy. I thought Zamora was horrible as well as McCartney. Bellamy....well...ugh....never liked him.

City might do weel with Erickson.....a top ten finish is definitely within possibility....at least no more relegation fears.

Atxj
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Atxj »

pigpen81 wrote:Nice win by City on the road.

West Ham was extremely sloppy. I thought Zamora was horrible as well as McCartney. Bellamy....well...ugh....never liked him.

City might do weel with Erickson.....a top ten finish is definitely within possibility....at least no more relegation fears.
Don't get Dave too excited...

:wink:

davet010
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by davet010 »

When you've followed them for 30 years including 5 relegations but not including any trophies, it takes more than one away win to cause mass hysteria in the blue faithful.

:wink:

My thoughts. having watched it last night.

Every one of the signings who played showed something good - only one who struggled a bit was Corluka, who was playing out of position at RB and was faced with a very pacy player. Elano looked quality, Petrov is gonna give some RBs sleepless nights, Bianchi held the ball up well as a lone striker and Bojinov looks like a fan favourite in the making.

Negatives - midfield looked very lightweight, and both Ireland and Johnson gave possession away too cheaply. On another day we would have conceded at least one.

Still, 3 points is always worth having, Bianchi took some pressure off himself with a debut goal, and just how good did Richards and Onuoha look?

And one in the eye for the 'doing a Chelsea and buying players at random' critics - 5 of the 11 who finished the game were graduates of City's youth academy (Ireland, Johnson, Richards, Onuoha, Schmeichel).

Roll on Wednesday :D (which, being City, will be a 0-1 last minute disaster at home to Derby)

pigpen81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pigpen81 »

Wow, huge point for Reading under a relentless assault by Man U.

Hahnemann was a rock all game, especially the last 10 minutes.

How about Kitson. giving Reading a much needed lift when inserted for Doyle in the 70th, then red carded 45 seconds later for a horrendous tackle in the near the sideline 80 yards from Reading's goal....dumb duh duh dumb!

Now to wait for 4 hours to see the Arsenal/Fulham replay.....didn't make it upm at 4 AM this morning to see it live.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

Anybody have a good site for highlights?? I know of some such as 101greatgoals.com and footytube.com, but the highlights are taken down very quickly. Are there any reliable pay sites or something?

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

Naples39 wrote:Anybody have a good site for highlights?? I know of some such as 101greatgoals.com and footytube.com, but the highlights are taken down very quickly. Are there any reliable pay sites or something?
If you are a torrent man, download match of the day. Has all the EPL highlights you'll ever need.
[url=http://sensiblecoasters.wordpress.com/][b]Sensible Coasters - A critique of sports games, reviews, gaming sites and news. Questionably Proofread![/b][/url]

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

I thought Arsenal missed Henry dearly and after J. Lehmann's gaffe, the gunners worked their way up until they sealed their victory in the last minute.

Not a good start for W. Rooney as he fractures his foot, but C. Tevez should be ready to play next week. C. Ronaldo had a couple of chances that could have turned ManU's luck around.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

Naples39 wrote:Anybody have a good site for highlights?? I know of some such as 101greatgoals.com and footytube.com, but the highlights are taken down very quickly. Are there any reliable pay sites or something?
To answer my own question, foxsoccer.com announced that they will have free highlights of every EPL match this year. I watched a few games and the packages seem to be 1:30 to 2 minutes long, showing the goals and a few other notable plays.

http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story/7107088

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Real Madrid acquires Dutch international W. Sneijder for a five year deal.
He'll take over Becks in the free kick department, good signing.