Soccer thread 07/08

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Laurent Robert? As Squid said, he kicks the ball hard, and takes a decent corner.

Otherwise, he's a lackadaisical player who played hard at Newcastle only when the spirit moved him, which wasn't often. He also was sh*t on defense on the wing. Not what you'd call a hard man. A problem child for managers, too.

I wasn't sad to see Robert leave Newcastle, if you couldn't tell. :)

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

fsquid wrote:Laurent Roberts kicks the ball hard and I mean fecking hard. Other than that, he's shite.
Yeah, some of his goals on You Tube are mind boggling.

He played last week vs. DC and looked quite good actually. Created some great chances for teammates, etc...

Anyways, I'm sure he's not EPL quality anymore. But for TFC? Heck, he looks like Gerrard out there.

(edit) PK: Yeah, I've heard that about his attitude. Hopefully his good relationship with TFC coach Carver will prove beneficial.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

fanatic wrote:In Toronto FC news (cricket sounds in the background)....

We actually signed a couple of pretty solid players this week. Laurent Robert (ex Newcastle guy - PK, any input?) and Guevara (former MLS mvp and new york star - Zeppo?). Also on the verge of signing former Spurs/Arsenal (love it) player Rohan Ricketts. Three great (in mls standards) midfielders if you ask me.

Zepp, Jared - you guys also season ticket holders? Been to games yet? TFC home opener isn't until next week.
Those acquisitions should help the squad immensely, as their current offense is dire. Edu and Robinson do okay holding down the center of the park, but they get no offense from the wings. You expect all three of those guys will be inserted into a 5 man midfield, thus leaving Edu and Robinson holding?

I also heard Toronto has put Cunningham on the trading block, but exactly who else do they have who can play forward? Cupboard seems pretty bare.

Jared
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jared »

Fanatic,

I'm not a season ticket holder (was a partial-season ticket holder for DC United, but I moved to Philly and it's too far for me to catch all but a handful of DCU games). Though I got mls.tv, so I watch all the games. That Toronto game was strange...the defense looked absolutely horrible for the first ten minutes....I was expecting a decent defense and an absolutely horrible offense. Toronto's gonna need all the help they can get this year.

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

fanatic, did you happen to see this on YouTube?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jjpg4SWNcq8

Just to illustrate PK's earlier point about him not being a hard man.
XBox Live and PSN Gamertag: theycallhimsim

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

Naples39 wrote:
fanatic wrote:In Toronto FC news (cricket sounds in the background)....

We actually signed a couple of pretty solid players this week. Laurent Robert (ex Newcastle guy - PK, any input?) and Guevara (former MLS mvp and new york star - Zeppo?). Also on the verge of signing former Spurs/Arsenal (love it) player Rohan Ricketts. Three great (in mls standards) midfielders if you ask me.

Zepp, Jared - you guys also season ticket holders? Been to games yet? TFC home opener isn't until next week.
Those acquisitions should help the squad immensely, as their current offense is dire. Edu and Robinson do okay holding down the center of the park, but they get no offense from the wings. You expect all three of those guys will be inserted into a 5 man midfield, thus leaving Edu and Robinson holding?

I also heard Toronto has put Cunningham on the trading block, but exactly who else do they have who can play forward? Cupboard seems pretty bare.
I'm expecting a 5 man midfield, but who knows. I think that Dichio could possibly act as the lone striker, but I have a feeling a DP slot could be used for this position in the not so distant future. Cupboard is bare, but filling up slowly.

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

Jared wrote:Fanatic,

I'm not a season ticket holder (was a partial-season ticket holder for DC United, but I moved to Philly and it's too far for me to catch all but a handful of DCU games). Though I got mls.tv, so I watch all the games. That Toronto game was strange...the defense looked absolutely horrible for the first ten minutes....I was expecting a decent defense and an absolutely horrible offense. Toronto's gonna need all the help they can get this year.
Yeah the defense is scary so far. We're getting our first rounder (the highly rated Julius James) back from injury this week, so that might give the d a boost. Also with the midfield acquisitions, we can slot captain Jimmy Brennan back to the backline.

Those DC fans are great though! Set the standard for this league.

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

GB_Simo wrote:fanatic, did you happen to see this on YouTube?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jjpg4SWNcq8

Just to illustrate PK's earlier point about him not being a hard man.
Toronto's got a young, roudy crowd and is generally a city that loves "blue collar" type players like Doug Gilmour (90's Leafs) Jerome Williams ("JYD" was on the Raptors). No way we will stand for those antics!

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

fanatic wrote:Toronto's got a young, roudy crowd and is generally a city that loves "blue collar" type players like Doug Gilmour (90's Leafs) Jerome Williams ("JYD" was on the Raptors). No way we will stand for those antics!
Fanatic:

Let's put it this way: Robert is no Wendell Clark! :)

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

black_dynamite
Mario Mendoza

Post by black_dynamite »

Looks like Ronaldinho is set to join AC Milan:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story ... 85&cc=5901

Something tells me he will end up failing like Rivaldo did when he left Barca for AC. Lucky for you Dave as Ronaldinho won't be a part of Man City.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Well, the Brazilians' transfer has been rumored for weeks. Personally, I am interested to see where he plays with Pato, both characteristics and treatment for the ball are similar. Personally, I think his best days are over.

Big boost for Barca as Messi is set to return from his injury.

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

Dear Simo,

Please forward the latest copy of "The League One Guide" to me when you get a chance.

Sincerely,

Your defeated American Owl.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

Any evaluations of Robert so far fanatic?

Seems to me that forieng stars who have some desire left and choose to come to MLS do very well in the league (Stoichkov, Nowak, Donadoni, Djorkaeff, Angel, Schelotto, Blanco).

On other hand, former Euros who come to MLS to cash a paycheck and stroke their ego after decent Euro clubs are no longer interested, tend to be ineffective and don't last in the league very long (Matthaus, Denilson, Herzog, Reyna, Waterreus).

I fear that Robert (and even Gallardo in DC) fall into the second category.

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

Naples39 wrote:Any evaluations of Robert so far fanatic?

Seems to me that forieng stars who have some desire left and choose to come to MLS do very well in the league (Stoichkov, Nowak, Donadoni, Djorkaeff, Angel, Schelotto, Blanco).

On other hand, former Euros who come to MLS to cash a paycheck and stroke their ego after decent Euro clubs are no longer interested, tend to be ineffective and don't last in the league very long (Matthaus, Denilson, Herzog, Reyna, Waterreus).

I fear that Robert (and even Gallardo in DC) fall into the second category.
I'd say he's been pretty impressive so far. In TFC's 3-2 road win against the Galaxy, his rocket of a free kick bounced off the keeper and was headed back for our second goal. The game winner came off a long pass from Robert to Cunningham.

I think his quality will lead to a lot of TFC goals throughout the season. Sure, he may not play an amazing overall game, but the strength of his set pieces and precise long passes should really help us. Considering that Guevara also had a beautiful first game and that we are adding Ricketts to the midfield this week, I think that Robert will feel plenty motivated to keep his level of play up.

Also, if you can't get motivated in front of TFC's fans, then you REALLY have a problem.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

fanatic wrote:I'd say he's been pretty impressive so far. In TFC's 3-2 road win against the Galaxy, his rocket of a free kick bounced off the keeper and was headed back for our second goal. The game winner came off a long pass from Robert to Cunningham.

I think his quality will lead to a lot of TFC goals throughout the season. Sure, he may not play an amazing overall game, but the strength of his set pieces and precise long passes should really help us. Considering that Guevara also had a beautiful first game and that we are adding Ricketts to the midfield this week, I think that Robert will feel plenty motivated to keep his level of play up.

Also, if you can't get motivated in front of TFC's fans, then you REALLY have a problem.
That's encouraging to hear. About time TFC started putting together some entertaining soccer, or at least a few wins here or there.

MACTEPsporta
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Post by MACTEPsporta »

Eurogamer published the first Euro 2008 review today. As much fun as discussing Toronto FC may be, I'd like to throw this out there.

http://www.gamerankings.com/itemranking ... wid=933191

Curiously enough, there is still no word whether OTP will be in the game in the form other than the co-op Captain Your Country mode.

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

EURO 2008 (the game) talk goes elsewhere... :D

EURO 2008 (the tournament) goes here... :D
[url=http://sensiblecoasters.wordpress.com/][b]Sensible Coasters - A critique of sports games, reviews, gaming sites and news. Questionably Proofread![/b][/url]

davet010
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by davet010 »

Quick shout out to Man City's youth team, who won the FA Youth Cup last night beating Chelsea 3-1 in the second leg at Eastlands, in front of a crowd of about 20,000.

Extra shout out to George Gillett, whose interview with Sky TV I caught part of as I was on my way out to work. Looks like he's doing a good job of destroying the Grievers from the inside.

Having said that, for someone who was boasting that he had a 'first rate investment record', pumping money into a football club doesn't seem like the sort of thing that would enhance that reputation. The only people who've really done that recently are the Irish blokes who invested cash in Man U, fell out with the Drunken Scot over HorseSpunkGate and sold out to that senile bloke from Tampa, doubling their cash in the process.
"The players come from all over the world, the money from deep underneath the Persian Gulf, but, as another, older City poster campaign put it, this is their city. They may now exist in the global spotlight, but they intend to keep it that way."

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

Luca Toni - 33 goals in 40 games. Not bad for $10 million

MACTEPsporta
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Post by MACTEPsporta »

Toni moved to Bayern for a fee of 11 million euros, that is roughly $17 million. No chump change.

davet010
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by davet010 »

About the same as Man City played for Rolando Bianchi, and he couldn't score in a Turkish brothel with a ten pound note wrapped round his dick.
"The players come from all over the world, the money from deep underneath the Persian Gulf, but, as another, older City poster campaign put it, this is their city. They may now exist in the global spotlight, but they intend to keep it that way."

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

I guess Bayern could have bought Alan Hutton instead.

davet010
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by davet010 »

For only a mere £7m more, they could have had the goal machine that is Darren Bent.

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

Yup, I'm thinking the Toni transfer was chump change.

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

I'm with squid, in today's game, particularly in the EPL 10 million isn't a lot - particularly for a striker. Toni was one hell of a deal.

Even teams like Middlesbrough and Everton can afford to spend more than 10 million pounds on strikers (Alves and Yakubu).

Nice to see Hicks and Gillett getting along so well. Do agree with Hicks on one thing though, Parry is a useless prat.