Soccer thread 07/08

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

GB_Simo wrote:
JRod wrote:Everton seems to leak points and lose games that they shouldn't be losing.
I love you dearly, mate, but...they do? Their only league defeats in the last three months have been at Man Utd and Arsenal, and while they weren't disgraced on either occasion, they didn't do enough in either match to merit taking points away from them.

Prior to that run, they did lose to Reading, Villa, Newcastle and Liverpool, but even then the Reading and Newcastle results are the only two that cause any serious eyebrow raising.
That's my point to be in the top 4 you really can't be leaking those points. It's a different ball game all together from 5-8 then it is for 1-4. Liverpool is a game behind Everton with 22 to 23. If L'pool win it, they would be on 43 with Everton at 42 through 23 games.

From the last week in March to the end of the season, they finish playing Chelsea, AV at home. Travel to Liverpool and Arsenal. And finish the season at Newcastle. That's a pretty tough schedule, even playing at home to Chelsea, AV and with Birmingham/Newcastle in that mix.

Everton not a bad side by any means, but to break into the top four means not leaking points like they did against Man U. Yes it's the best team in the EPL right now but that point could be crucial from making CL money to playing again in the UEFA cup.
[url=http://sensiblecoasters.wordpress.com/][b]Sensible Coasters - A critique of sports games, reviews, gaming sites and news. Questionably Proofread![/b][/url]

dougb
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dougb »

RobVarak wrote:
dougb wrote:[
(edited)
Liverpool haven't really challenged for the premiership in any of the year's he's been in charge and I don't get the sense that they are moving in that direction.

Best wishes,

Doug
That's a totally valid criticism of Rafa's tenure. But this is a team in the knockout stages of the CL. You should be able to run them out without resorting to junior varsity motivational tactics or dramatics an watch them destroy a team that's not even fully professional.

IMO any head coach who has to waste time getting professional players "ready to play" needs to get new players, not be replaced.
Fair enough Rob - I think some of his acquisitions have been absolute dogs but the players are supposed to go out and perform. But I do think there has been a sea change regarding professional players these days - and not just in soccer. I think the high salaries are basically cushioning a lot of players - you have to have a hell of a lot of inherent discipline and character not to be affected by all the money. In the old days when salaries weren't so high losing your 'job' was a financial and personal disaster. I think that lack of cushion provided a hell of a lot incentive for players not go all out game in game out.

Of course another problem is the ridiculous squads some of the big team are amassing. There are some very good players who could be playing and developing for lesser teams that are spending pretty much all their time sitting on the bench at big teams - just in case one of the squad regulars gets injured or needs to be spelled for a game or two.

Best wishes,

Doug
"Every major sport has come under the influence of organized crime. FIFA actually is organized crime" - Charles Pierce

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

JRod wrote:
GB_Simo wrote:That's my point to be in the top 4 you really can't be leaking those points.
Which I agree with to an extent, but that they're in the top four having leaked those points with nearly two thirds of the season gone goes some way to disproving that. I don't think being in the top 4 has to mean not leaking points to Manchester United - winning the title does, absolutely, but look at the points gap from 1st to 4th and you can get away with the odd struggle against Man Utd, Arsenal or whoever - but Everton have lost 2 of their last 13. A similar sort of record from now until May, regardless of where the points are dropped, will give them a pretty good chance. Looking at what's around them too, it doesn't currently look as though Villa, Liverpool or Man City are capable of stringing together anything better than Everton.

It's a matter of opinion, of course, and I'll leave you to yours knowing that by the end of the season you may well end up being dead right. I just don't see it at the minute.
XBox Live and PSN Gamertag: theycallhimsim

davet010
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by davet010 »

Man City - the only team who could be knocked out of the Cup by balloons that their own fans brought.

Now we can concentrate on the league - at least we've got enough points to avoid relegation.
"The players come from all over the world, the money from deep underneath the Persian Gulf, but, as another, older City poster campaign put it, this is their city. They may now exist in the global spotlight, but they intend to keep it that way."

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

davet010 wrote:Man City - the only team who could be knocked out of the Cup by balloons that their own fans brought.

Now we can concentrate on the league - at least we've got enough points to avoid relegation.
Well atleast it didn't relegate you.
[url=http://sensiblecoasters.wordpress.com/][b]Sensible Coasters - A critique of sports games, reviews, gaming sites and news. Questionably Proofread![/b][/url]

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

davet010 wrote:Man City - the only team who could be knocked out of the Cup by balloons that their own fans brought.

Good to see that the Pig fans treated your player's stuff with respect.

davet010
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by davet010 »

Yeah, and managed by the Antichrist of Old Trafford as well.

Anyway Squid, what's all this about Franz Beckenbauer expressing his doubts about Klinsmann - is K a Hoeness decision ?

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story ... 21&cc=5739
"The players come from all over the world, the money from deep underneath the Persian Gulf, but, as another, older City poster campaign put it, this is their city. They may now exist in the global spotlight, but they intend to keep it that way."

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

They are all Hoeness decisions. Beckenbauer is really president in name only.

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

CONCACAF will mirror their Champions League after Europe's.

http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story/77 ... ons-League

davet010
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by davet010 »

mmmm...Dennis Wise appointed to a 'senior position' at Newcastle, and KK doesn't know what he's there for...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 215342.stm

Anyone think that this is going to end well ? I wonder what anyone saw in Wise to make them think he knew much about transfers and youth players...I can imagine people signing to play for Keegan (although his attempts to sign players this month may lead one to believe that the old magic isn't quite there), but I can't imagine anyone being enthused by 'Come to Newcastle and negotiate with Dennis Wise...'.

KK gone by the end of the season odds are falling like the FTSE.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Something makes me think Wise and Joey Barton will become drinking buddies quickly. Peas in a pod, as they say ... :)

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

davet010
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by davet010 »

Just don't get in a taxi with Wise, or go near Barton when he's got a cigar in his hand.

dougb
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dougb »

debt up the ying-yang, managerial insecurity, and now a loss to [edit West Ham - thanks GB :? ]- it's going tits-up on Merseyside at the moment.

cue Macca...

Best wishes,

Doug
Last edited by dougb on Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Every major sport has come under the influence of organized crime. FIFA actually is organized crime" - Charles Pierce

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

dougb wrote:debt up the ying-yang, managerial insecurity, and now a loss to Aston Villa...
Christ, it's gonna get even worse when someone tells him the West Ham result... :wink:

3 points behind Everton, 17 behind top spot, Liverpool are currently closer to matching the points total of Newcastle United than Manchester United. I'm not totally certain that's what they had in mind in August, you know.
XBox Live and PSN Gamertag: theycallhimsim

black_dynamite
Mario Mendoza

Post by black_dynamite »

fsquid wrote:CONCACAF will mirror their Champions League after Europe's.

This should be very interesting indeed. Although the CONCACAF region has a long way to go in comparison to the other regions in developing their teams and players this is a big step in the right direction. I cannot wait to see how this will turn out.

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

Correction.

Gone tits up.

Time to bring in Allardyce.

Anyone else think making poor Sami Hyypia play constitutes elder abuse?

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

No taking the piss at Liverpool but one question.

Okay the American owners have done a lot to undermine Rafa, but how much of their poor form is the owners fault. If it wasn't for Hicks and Gillette, Rafa probably would have been sacked.

I was listening to talk sport today and one of the callers said that Rafa's rotation policy wouldn't be bad if it wasn't was rotating good players in and bad or poor form players out. Instead Rafa just rotates with out any real purpose.

I haven't looked at the roster to confirm this but it does seem Rafa just tries to give a lot of people playing time but doesn't field the best team.

Anyway, at the least Liverpool didn't lose 3-0 again.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

JRod wrote:No taking the piss at Liverpool but one question.

Okay the American owners have done a lot to undermine Rafa, but how much of their poor form is the owners fault. If it wasn't for Hicks and Gillette, Rafa probably would have been sacked.

I was listening to talk sport today and one of the callers said that Rafa's rotation policy wouldn't be bad if it wasn't was rotating good players in and bad or poor form players out. Instead Rafa just rotates with out any real purpose.

I haven't looked at the roster to confirm this but it does seem Rafa just tries to give a lot of people playing time but doesn't field the best team.

Anyway, at the least Liverpool didn't lose 3-0 again.
Seriously? You're going to flog this dead horse...again? If you want to challenge for multiple competitions, you rotate. SAF does it, Jose did it, even Wenger does it. And the idea that there is some sacrosanct Best XI is a f---ing relic! When there's a big game you play the matchups, otherwise you try to keep everybody fresh.
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

Jared
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jared »

fsquid wrote:CONCACAF will mirror their Champions League after Europe's.

I'm looking forward to this...most of the poorer teams will get knocked out in the first round, and the group stages should be filled with Mexican, American, and good Central American teams. And the bigger Central American teams are solid...it'll be fun to watch them go up against American and Mexican teams.

And I know that it will never happen, but one day I would LOVE to see the Copa Libertadores extend over both North and South America. That would be awesome.

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

My point Rob is that Rafa's rotation isn't the culprit of his poor play. It's the fact that his rotation policy isn't putting the best choices for that day.

Looking at the roster from today, you guys played your best eleven and lost (probably should have been a draw).

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Jared wrote: And I know that it will never happen, but one day I would LOVE to see the Copa Libertadores extend over both North and South America. That would be awesome.
Never say never, but that would be a dream come true.

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

Libertadores included Mexico for the sole reason of money. Don't know how popular MLS would have to get to have the same attractivness.

Jared
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jared »

Well, it looks like there are now some rumors about MLS being involved in the Copa Libertadores.

http://mlsrumors.blogspot.com/2008/01/c ... es_28.html
Is MLS going to be involved in the Copa Libertadores soon?

According to this rumor, yes. As it goes: Rafael Salguero a member of CONCACAF and FIFA says that Major League Soccer's participation in this tournament will be officially announced in Miami at FIFA's (or CONCACAF's) two day meeting this week which would mean Tuesday. Doug Quinn Soccer United Marketing President confirmed during the 'InterLiga' tournament that negotiations on this matter were very advanced and that he was confident play would start next year. It was this is the statement which most likely pawned a few mentions on Spanish language TV which we reported on at the time.

MLS spokesperson María Isabel Muñoz confirms the rumor about thes negotiations, but quickly added that the qualifying process has not been determined. Both Muñoz and Quinn underscore their belief that MLS is ready to undertake this challenge.

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

Major fixture congestion coming up.

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

Wednesday sells probably their best player Glen Whelan minutes before the deadline. Yup, League One here we come.