Ebay Question

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Ebay Question

Post by JackB1 »

I am selling a few items currently on Ebay and I usually just accept Paypal, but many people are asking if I would accept a money order.

Is there any risk in accepting a money order? Couldn't I just hold the item from being shipped until the money order clears?

Bill_Abner
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Bill_Abner »

Money Orders are pretty darn safe, yes. Just tell the buyer that you will ship it after the MO is cashed. They're better than a check, actually.
No High Scores:
http://www.nohighscores.com/

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I agree with Bill plus you don't have to pay any fees to paypal. ;)

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

There's really no risk if you wait until you cash it like Bill and Rod suggest. If they try bullying you into shipping before that don't do it.
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

ScoopBrady wrote:There's really no risk if you wait until you cash it like Bill and Rod suggest. If they try bullying you into shipping before that don't do it.
That's an ebay scam when someone says ship it and promising to send the money order the same day. The Nigerian ebay scams are classics too.

Everyone one is pretty much in agreement if the buyer wants to wait for the money order to clear there's no harm in bypassing paypal as long as the buyer is willing to wait.

warnerwlf98
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Re: Ebay Question

Post by warnerwlf98 »

JackB1 wrote:I am selling a few items currently on Ebay and I usually just accept Paypal, but many people are asking if I would accept a money order.

Is there any risk in accepting a money order? Couldn't I just hold the item from being shipped until the money order clears?
When I was doing a lot of business on ebay, I never accepted paypal - only money orders. Money orders are cash (like a government check), and I've never had a problem getting them as payment. Do as these guys suggested - only ship after you get the payment.

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

Thanks for the advice guys. Will do.

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

I'm about to start to put stuff up on ebay...so thanks

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

It might even be a good idea to put right in the listing that Money Orders are accepted but the item will not ship until it is received.
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

James_E
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by James_E »

Make sure you specific "will ship when the money order has cleared". Some times the bank will hold it for a few days before truly clearing it. (Maybe that only happens to me with US money orders here in Canada, but it does happen.)

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Ebay Question

Post by pk500 »

JackB1 wrote:I am selling a few items currently on Ebay and I usually just accept Paypal, but many people are asking if I would accept a money order.

Postal money orders are safe. Anyone with a quality printer, software, paper, spare time and some devious intent can create a counterfeit bank money order.

I only accept PayPal these days. It's just so much more convenient, so the fees are worth it. But if you're going the money order route, I would insist on a postal money order.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

James_E wrote:Make sure you specific "will ship when the money order has cleared". Some times the bank will hold it for a few days before truly clearing it. (Maybe that only happens to me with US money orders here in Canada, but it does happen.)
That's a safe strategy. But it also can turn off buyers. When people buy stuff, they want it yesterday. Tacking on a few business days to the normal time for shipping can steer away some impatient potential buyers.

Another reason why I prefer PayPal. I can often ship the same day the auction ends if I get immediate payment, keeping my buyers very happy. I've had repeat customers because of that.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

I want to sell about 300+ cds....should I just sell them as a lot on Ebay or break them into smaller sets?

was looking to make about $500 total...

thoughts?

all indieRAWK!

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Sudz wrote:I want to sell about 300+ cds....should I just sell them as a lot on Ebay or break them into smaller sets?

was looking to make about $500 total...

thoughts?

all indieRAWK!
Trust me on this one...just take them to a record store. You will spend so much time listing, photographing, taking to the post office, etc...that it will negate any profit. It's just not worth the time unless you've got some very hard to find stuff that will sell for more than a few bucks.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Here's an option:

http://www.secondspin.com/

I used it when I went digital about five years ago, with great results. Got fair market value, and the check arrived in about a week.

Take care,
PK