NASCAR 08

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

James_E
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by James_E »

I tried pretty damn hard to get over the controller issue. I originally said it was not bad based on the demo, but didn't really try a lot of wheel-wheel racing. Over the past couple days I've been playing it quite a bit and trying tons of control settings. and it's just on the hairy-edge of being enjoyable for me. I can see a really good sim in there.. but not with the controller. I'm not buying a wheel for my 360 as my setup won't allow it without alot of trouble. I won't be keeping the game.

It's too bad. I'm actually quite disappointed because I was excited to race some Nascar on the 360. Not this year I guess.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

I've had nothing but crazy fun with it, but I've raced it only with a wheel since the first lap. I can see how the control would piss some people off; it took a bit of tinkering to even get the wheel to where I want it to be, but now I am having a ridiculous amount of fun.

I understand how some people will be frustrated with a controller or the cornholing AI or lack of a career mode. Those are pretty big issues to a large segment of gamers. Thankfully I just kind of learned how to drive the AI's line, which is pushing the car so deep in the corner you'd absolutely die if it were real. That's where the handling model shows its arcade roots. You can overdrive the hell out of the car, but then the sim side kicks in because the tires go to sh*t in a handful of laps if you do.

It's consistent and predictable, which is all I wanted.

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

I just don't have that much trouble with the controller. I've raced a bit here and there, outside of the license chase stuff, and can keep a pretty good line in traffic.

That said, I'm probably gonna spring for a wheel, anyway, because NASCAR games are simply more fun with one.
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

so are you guys saying that with the standard 360 controller, the game is unplayable?

I am having trouble as well with the demo trying to keep the car on the track using the standard controller.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Inuyasha wrote:so are you guys saying that with the standard 360 controller, the game is unplayable?
Pretty damn close.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Inuyasha wrote:so are you guys saying that with the standard 360 controller, the game is unplayable?

I am having trouble as well with the demo trying to keep the car on the track using the standard controller.
I don't think the demo allows you to change controller settings, I could be wrong though. I haven't found the 360 controller to be an issue in the game. In fact I like it a lot. I got Pole at Indy and started lapping the field before I finally won the race.

All I did was make a couple of changes to the controller settings and I changed the cars setup. on some tracks the cars drive on rails. I have to say though that I love racing games, my favorite genre and i've always used a gamepad or controller so I quickly adapt.

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

I have no problem driving without cars on the track but the problem is how fast my car is compared with the CPU cars. That results in getting cornholed in every turn.

Thanks to EA major f up with the controls expect to see a total arcade experience next year. They are going to say the public didn't like the sim nature of the game.

I think the AI is pretty good and they will make mistakes and crash and do "racing" stuff. Problem is entirely on the user driving model. They just simply penalize the user for controlling his car.
[url=http://sensiblecoasters.wordpress.com/][b]Sensible Coasters - A critique of sports games, reviews, gaming sites and news. Questionably Proofread![/b][/url]

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

JRod wrote:I have no problem driving without cars on the track but the problem is how fast my car is compared with the CPU cars. That results in getting cornholed in every turn.

Thanks to EA major f up with the controls expect to see a total arcade experience next year. They are going to say the public didn't like the sim nature of the game.

I think the AI is pretty good and they will make mistakes and crash and do "racing" stuff. Problem is entirely on the user driving model. They just simply penalize the user for controlling his car.

What's your gamertag? Swami? How are you able to see into the future? The damn controller isn't that much of an issue. Period. I race in tight packs, and have no trouble. I get bumped in the corners, slightly counter the tendency for the car to spin, and keep it not only on the track, but many times, keep my position.

"They penalize the user for controlling his car." That's priceless...

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

It's QuarterRod.

I'm done with this game. If they release a patch for the controls later on I'll re-rent.
[url=http://sensiblecoasters.wordpress.com/][b]Sensible Coasters - A critique of sports games, reviews, gaming sites and news. Questionably Proofread![/b][/url]

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

JRod wrote:It's QuarterRod.

I'm done with this game. If they release a patch for the controls later on I'll re-rent.
I know. I was being a bit of a smartass, rod. It was uncalled for, but sometimes it seems like we're playing different games. I understand, though, that not every game is for everyone.

Nozzleman_216
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Nozzleman_216 »

for what its worth, my son was playing the game today and since he has been watching NASCAR lately and getting into it he said he wanted to try the Brick track (LOL he is 6) So off to Indy he goes and I was trying to tell him the line to run. He asked me if I would show him. SO since the wheel is hard for him and what not, I took the sticks and ran a lap or 2. Pretty twitchy, messed with the Linearity and responsiveness settings and BAM I was turning laps as fast I am with the wheel. I believe I settled on 25 and 30.

NOW, this was with some assists on for him, BUT it was my understanding from above that they only hurt you speed wise, so I would say it was a nice trade off for using the controller.

The bottom line is this game is pretty damn fun, and if you are not having fun because its too hard, turn on a few assists. This whole ordeal about the controller I am done with and I will dismiss it from now on when I read about it. I did it today and it was NOT bad at all and I actually thought it was pretty good. Hell TEAL proved he can do it online and he sucks ;) :P
XBL: Nozzleman 216
PSN: Nozzleman_216

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

SEMINOLE wrote:
Hell TEAL proved he can do it online and he sucks ;) :P
Yes, I do...and thanks for pointing it out so eloquently... :wink:

MUTTS
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by MUTTS »

ok dont laugh...but is there any kind of adaptor to make my mad catz wheel for the ps2 work on the 360????

Fshguy
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Fshguy »

JRod wrote:I have no problem driving without cars on the track but the problem is how fast my car is compared with the CPU cars. That results in getting cornholed in every turn.

I think you can get the arcade experience on the default/casual settings. You still have to mess with the controller to be able to control the car though. Wheel works nice and fine with me although it might need some adjustment, hard to make small adjustments with it sometimes when you're loose.

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

While I my not be the best on the controls there's still no excuse for the way the AI drives. Nothing can be done about that.

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

ok, my $20 TRU gift card came in the mail today so I'll probably pick this game up or end up getting ncaa.

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

:oops: hehehe...weeeeelllll...I'm not keeping NASCAR. I feel a little sheepish saying it, with all of the defense I've been giving it, and I'd still give that defense, but I just don't have time enough to ever be good enough anymore. And I'm wondering why, if I had that time, would I want to get better at a 'virtual' anything.

I still like Forza (not the 'ring, and NOT the R3'3!) because the control with the controller is without peer, and while I can race nascar with the controller, I just realized that it stresses me out. Now why would I want a game that does that? It's supposed to be relaxing, not stressful.

NASCAR is great, if you've got time to put into it. I just don't have the time I'm willing to put into it anymore. I tried a wheel, but I don't have room for all that junk anymore, either.

I just wanna play Burnout, and PGR4, and forget setups, grooves, and all that.

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

tealboy03 wrote::oops: hehehe...weeeeelllll...I'm not keeping NASCAR. I feel a little sheepish saying it, with all of the defense I've been giving it, and I'd still give that defense, but I just don't have time enough to ever be good enough anymore. And I'm wondering why, if I had that time, would I want to get better at a 'virtual' anything.

I still like Forza (not the 'ring, and NOT the R3'3!) because the control with the controller is without peer, and while I can race nascar with the controller, I just realized that it stresses me out. Now why would I want a game that does that? It's supposed to be relaxing, not stressful.

NASCAR is great, if you've got time to put into it. I just don't have the time I'm willing to put into it anymore. I tried a wheel, but I don't have room for all that junk anymore, either.

WTF! I just bought the game tonight based on your impressions. Now it sounds like you're saying it's not a pickup and play type of game and you have to waste your time tinkering around. Now I'm not sure if I want to open the box.

Maybe should have saved that 20 bucks on madden.

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Inuyasha wrote:
tealboy03 wrote::oops: hehehe...weeeeelllll...I'm not keeping NASCAR. I feel a little sheepish saying it, with all of the defense I've been giving it, and I'd still give that defense, but I just don't have time enough to ever be good enough anymore. And I'm wondering why, if I had that time, would I want to get better at a 'virtual' anything.

WTF! I just bought the game tonight based on your impressions. Now it sounds like you're saying it's not a pickup and play type of game and you have to waste your time tinkering around. Now I'm not sure if I want to open the box.

Maybe should have saved that 20 bucks on madden.
You've gotta use your own judgement there, bro. If I simply had the time to devote to yet a THIRD racing game, then I would, I really would. This is an issue of time, nothing else. My impressions stand. That being said, I will probably turn around and gamefly it soon...I can just spend 60 bucks on something that will gain more of my attention...like maybe my kids...

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

First Impressions : game is fun! My kids really like the different cars and I've set the game for a lot of assists so I am having a fun time playing.

This is the only racer I have so I don't think it's all that bad right now. I like that it is more just get in and race which I like.

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

SEMINOLE wrote:for what its worth, my son was playing the game today and since he has been watching NASCAR lately and getting into it he said he wanted to try the Brick track (LOL he is 6) So off to Indy he goes and I was trying to tell him the line to run. He asked me if I would show him. SO since the wheel is hard for him and what not, I took the sticks and ran a lap or 2. Pretty twitchy, messed with the Linearity and responsiveness settings and BAM I was turning laps as fast I am with the wheel. I believe I settled on 25 and 30.

NOW, this was with some assists on for him, BUT it was my understanding from above that they only hurt you speed wise, so I would say it was a nice trade off for using the controller.

The bottom line is this game is pretty damn fun, and if you are not having fun because its too hard, turn on a few assists. This whole ordeal about the controller I am done with and I will dismiss it from now on when I read about it. I did it today and it was NOT bad at all and I actually thought it was pretty good. Hell TEAL proved he can do it online and he sucks ;) :P

What are you using for the car setup in the game options? I have mine set for Casual but I've read it hurts your speed. Can you let me know what Assists you have turned on/off? Also pre-race, in the car setup option, do you fiddle with that or just leave it at default 50 for all?

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

ok, how the hell do you keep the god damn car on the track!?!?

Nozzleman_216
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Nozzleman_216 »

didn't mess with the setup, just adjusted the linearity and responsiveness and went for it. (low 52's)

A LOT of my problems was with the learning the tracks. I know I know, they are circles lol, but you really need to learn when to let off, when to brake (or not) and when to try and enter the corner.

I am still not the best at it but I get better at each track with practice.
XBL: Nozzleman 216
PSN: Nozzleman_216

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

Inuyasha wrote:ok, how the hell do you keep the god damn car on the track!?!?
it's tough. I am going thru the challenges now and the last one on the superspeedway challenges took me about 20 tries.

best advice I could say is first, adjust the linearity and responsiveness settings (I use 40) to what works best for you and try and be SMOOTH while turning with the analog stick. Don't jerk it and overcorrect. Try and anticipate turns a little in advance. Stay away from the walls! Also, watch the AI behind you...when it looks like they are coming at you, make sure you are either directly in front of them (so a bump won't take you out) or let them go. If they bump you at an angle or on the corner of your car, you will spin out.

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

Ok, I have my gameplay settings at casual.

My Lin at zero.

My resp at 25.

Still can't get to keep the car on the track. I've turned off collisions again so I can get some practice in.

What's the best settings to have the best control of the car from not sliding and hitting walls or other cars?