laptops...one more time

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

MUTTS
Starting 5
Starting 5

laptops...one more time

Post by MUTTS »

Since its probably been a few weeks (and lets face it...thats forever in the computer world) lets revisit the topic. Now that the MUTTS clan has FiOS (we are day 3 post dialup) we need a 2nd computer. Since we have a desktop for most of our needs, this one will be primarily a surf the net, email, watch video, download tunes, maybe do some simple photo editing machine. So fire away...give me bang for my buck.

Much thanx,

Tony

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Three weeks ago I bought a Dell Inpsiron 1501 for $449 with free shipping.

AMD TK-53 Mobile Turion X2 CPU
1GB Ram
80GB HDD
15.4" True Life Display (Glossy)
128MB ATi Radeon X1150 video card
Built in Wireless
CDRW/DVD ROM

Sweet system even at $600 even better at $449. :D

eman
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by eman »

BestBuy is offering a similiar deal on a C2D this week.

I'd take a look at their sale ad...

MUTTS
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by MUTTS »

C2D??

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Yeah I've seen C2D laptops under $1000 too but there are different kinds of Core2Duo chips, with different amount of cache.

It seems it's getting close to the point where you can get a C2D with 4 MB cache if I'm not mistaken, 2 GB of RAM and 200 GB HDD for about $800.

Right now, it's mostly 160 GB HDD.

No dedicated GPUs though.

Supposedly Intel is suppose to have a big upgrade over GMA950 soon.

Badger_Fan
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by Badger_Fan »

Edit: Nevermind. I saw a link on their website.

Is it possible to get a laptop from Dell with XP instead of Vista? I didn't see that as an option anywhere. Anyone?
The sing-along songs'll be our scriptures.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Badger_Fan wrote:Edit: Nevermind. I saw a link on their website.

Is it possible to get a laptop from Dell with XP instead of Vista? I didn't see that as an option anywhere. Anyone?
I believe you can as of now but only for business notebooks. I purchased two Dell business notebooks this month and I configured them with XP.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

My turn :oops:

Budget is $800 or so. I really want to find something with 2G of RAM to handle Vista, and this is the best I've found in my early searching. I'm not an HP fan, but it seems like a good machine and has decent reviews. Biggest negative appears to be battery life, but I'm going to be using it basically as a desktop replacement rather than mobile.

Any thoughts?

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/productD ... _keycode=4
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

Darkbandit
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Darkbandit »

According to some paperwork that my managers gave me earlier, there are going to be some Dell laptops that are going to be on sale Sunday for about 800. The only catch is that the only way that people will know about that sale is to go online to walmart.com and see them listed.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Darkbandit wrote:According to some paperwork that my managers gave me earlier, there are going to be some Dell laptops that are going to be on sale Sunday for about 800. The only catch is that the only way that people will know about that sale is to go online to walmart.com and see them listed.
Thanks for the heads-up, Bandit. I'll take a look.

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

Zlax45
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zlax45 »

I love my Dell laptop I got about 5 months ago.....
My xbox live name is "The Zlax45"

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

RobVarak wrote:My turn :oops:

Budget is $800 or so. I really want to find something with 2G of RAM to handle Vista, and this is the best I've found in my early searching. I'm not an HP fan, but it seems like a good machine and has decent reviews. Biggest negative appears to be battery life, but I'm going to be using it basically as a desktop replacement rather than mobile.

Any thoughts?

Rob check this Dell laptop for $749. It comes with 2GB of ram.

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/ ... wkvh&s=bsd

I recently purchased a similar laptop and they are sweet. I would advise buying the least amount of ram and buying it later for a fraction of the price. although you'll need to install it yourself.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

That's damn-near exactly what I'm looking for. I've had a few Dells with no problems. HP on the other hand...

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

RobVarak wrote:That's damn-near exactly what I'm looking for. I've had a few Dells with no problems. HP on the other hand...
Same here i'm on my fourth Dell laptop with no problems. :)

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

any decent laptops out there for roughly a G that will handle most of today's sports games?

It's going to be my personal computer while the family get the 5 year old desktop.

Basically I'm looking for something that can handle Madden 08 at a good resolution and the rest is for surfing, mail, etc etc.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

PRBoom wrote:any decent laptops out there for roughly a G that will handle most of today's sports games?

It's going to be my personal computer while the family get the 5 year old desktop.

Basically I'm looking for something that can handle Madden 08 at a good resolution and the rest is for surfing, mail, etc etc.
http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/ ... wk7x&s=bsd

For the money I would suggest the Vostro 1500. It should do the job nicely. It starts out at $649 and with a few goodies like a dedicated 256 meg nvidia videocard it will top out at $848. It also comes with a Core 2 Duo CPU, 120GB HDD, and 2GB of System RAM and a DVD Burner. I know it's a business laptop but a Vostro is basically a ALL-Black Inspirion 1520.

If you don't have a small business you should still be able to order it online. That's the best bang for the buck I can think of. :D

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

Thanks, I'll definitely look into it.

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

Well, because I have no patience I spent a few dollars more than my 1,000 self imposed limit and went with this:

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/HP-Pavil ... il.do#tabs

Madden runs smooth as silk on it with everything maxed out.

I'm using a wired xbox 360 controller and it controls nice. It uses the PS2 config so I get mixed up every now and again trying to control it like the 360 version (using RT as sprint, etc).

The system as a whole runs so much faster than my old desktop, which just chugs along to do even the simplest of tasks.

One question about controllers for Madden PC. Is there no rumble support or do I just not have mine configured correctly?

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

There's no rumble support for Madden on the PC. I've a Logitech RumblePad 2 and the 360 Controller and nothing. It was the same last year to.

pigpen81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: laptops...one more time

Post by pigpen81 »

We are looking to finally get rid of our dinosaur PC and get a laptop.

Can any of our tech heads recommend a good laptop at the sun $500 range?

Webcam would be a must, plus......

It wouldn't hurt if it had a little gaming capabilities ;)

Thanks!

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

No $500 laptop will be a serious gaming machine. In that price range figure on light gaming. Toon bought a Dell Vostro V13 for $349 with a webcam and you can do light gaming on it.

pigpen81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pigpen81 »

Thanks Rod. I ordered it last night.

Not to worried about the gaming.

One really dumb question:

I have only ever used outlook express. I did not have the Microsoft package installed. What can I use for my home email program. My internet is with cox so my email is ".........@cox.net"

Thanks!

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Congrats so what did you get? I just returned a V13 and ordered another one when Dell screwed up on their website and listed a Dell Vostro V13 with 4GB of ram for $339 plus free shipping instead of $439. I was all over that. :)

pigpen81 wrote:I have only ever used outlook express. I did not have the Microsoft package installed. What can I use for my home email program. My internet is with cox so my email is ".........@cox.net"

Thanks!
Wow you are behind the times :)

I use for email service, Yahoo, Gmail and Hotmail. Setup an account and you can use it to access your email. Ask db cause he's more up on the mobile side of things but I believe if you have an iphone or Droid phone you can access Gmail on your phone.

FatPitcher
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by FatPitcher »

Windows Live Mail

pigpen81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pigpen81 »

Sorry to bring this back but I need suggestions.

I started a masters program in educational technology and someone suggested I have MS OneNote to help with writing papers.

I need a new laptop so what suggestions do you have for a good laptop that would have OneNote and be in the $500-$1000 range?

Surface 3's?

Thanks!