OT : Wireless Network Question

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

OT : Wireless Network Question

Post by Inuyasha »

I am having a problem with my wireless network and wanted to ask you guys if you can help.

For some reason, my wireless connection drops. Nothing is dropping from the service to the broadband router from the phone company dsl. but at random times, the laptop will say it's connected to the wireless network but when I try to get to a webpage, it never works. So I have to bring the laptop and hook up the wire from the wireless router, go into the router admin page, and reconnect, release the wire, and its working again.

Would you know what is causing this problem for me? Is it the router (netgear), my computer? or something else?

Sometimes when the power goes off in the house and everything comes back on, I have to manually reset but I can understand that. But not sure why this is continuing to happen when we've had no power outages in the last few weeks.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Change the channel of the router. Go into the configuration and just change it from default. A lot of times, traffic on the same band can cause disconnects. Also, if you have a lot of 2.4 ghz devices, that can cause issues as well.

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

dbdynsty25 wrote:Change the channel of the router. Go into the configuration and just change it from default. A lot of times, traffic on the same band can cause disconnects. Also, if you have a lot of 2.4 ghz devices, that can cause issues as well.
True dat. Try Channels 6 or 11 (those are supposedly "least used" by devices if I recall). My 2.4 phones were causing problems.

kicko
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by kicko »

update anything lately??? Whats the distance from the router? Do you have another connection you can try?

Go to starbucks or some free wifi place, hang out for an hour and see if it happens there.

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

Well I changed the channels and it was fine for a while but now it is disconnecting about 2 times a day. I've tired about 3 different channels now.

Not sure if it's something with the neighbors electronics interfering?

I also have another laptop that I use with the same wireless router. Had no problems using them at the same time but could that be causing interference?

Any ideas what could be causing the problem?

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Inuyasha wrote:Well I changed the channels and it was fine for a while but now it is disconnecting about 2 times a day. I've tired about 3 different channels now.

Time for a new router if you've changed the channels. I have had horrible trouble with Linksys routers. For some reason, they are more prone to interference. I'm rolling with a Buffalo right now and it's been spectacular. Plus, it's got a high gain antenna that extends the network a little bit.

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:Well I changed the channels and it was fine for a while but now it is disconnecting about 2 times a day. I've tired about 3 different channels now.

Time for a new router if you've changed the channels. I have had horrible trouble with Linksys routers. For some reason, they are more prone to interference. I'm rolling with a Buffalo right now and it's been spectacular. Plus, it's got a high gain antenna that extends the network a little bit.
cool, thanks for the info. I think I will have to replace the router then.

Boltman
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Boltman »

dbdynsty25 wrote:Change the channel of the router. Go into the configuration and just change it from default. A lot of times, traffic on the same band can cause disconnects. Also, if you have a lot of 2.4 ghz devices, that can cause issues as well.
Yea I had to change mine as well, my friggen 2.4 wireless home phones (3) were screwing with my Linksys wireless adapters, and my router.

Everything worked great once I changed it.

Boltman
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Boltman »

Inuyasha wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote:

cool, thanks for the info. I think I will have to replace the router then.
Yea, if you changed it up and it is still an intermittent connection then the router has to go. Same situation of yours happened to my sisters old Linksys, she got the new Wireless G 2.4 with speed booster and everything is well.

Nozzleman_216
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Nozzleman_216 »

I am done with Linksys. The one I have now (WRT-54G) that is oh so popular is a POS. I am looking at a Buffalo or the D-Link gaming router that gets rave reviews.

DB, what model Buffalo do you have?
XBL: Nozzleman 216
PSN: Nozzleman_216

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

SEMINOLE wrote:I am done with Linksys. The one I have now (WRT-54G) that is oh so popular is a POS. I am looking at a Buffalo or the D-Link gaming router that gets rave reviews.

DB, what model Buffalo do you have?

the one giving me trouble is a d-link. but it's been about 3 years since I first bought it so if 3 years of service is good for electronic devices, then go for it.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

actually my router is netgear, not dlink.

Boltman
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Boltman »

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

I'm leaning on getting the one DB linked.

I am sick of this now. the connection will just drop any random time. I will then need to turn off the modem and router and then reconnect the wire to establish the connection. That's if I'm lucky. sometimes, the connection won't even work.

Boltman
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Boltman »

Inuyasha wrote:I'm leaning on getting the one DB linked.

I am sick of this now. the connection will just drop any random time. I will then need to turn off the modem and router and then reconnect the wire to establish the connection. That's if I'm lucky. sometimes, the connection won't even work.
My sisters was doing that, I think your modem / new one, is / are toast! :lol:

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

I'm on the internet now like hit and run.

Better check and post before the damn connection dies out again.

Well I did a direct connection and the thing will drop on me too. phone company says replace both modem and wireless router but I don tknow if it's on their end or not.

I may just go with Cable internet even though it will cost me 3x as much.

added :
f***in thing just died out again.

anyway, i wanted to add that do you guy sknow a good deal on a modem router package? or can you recommend me a good modem to go along with DB's router?

The modem i got is from the phone company and is like 5 years old. Its called speedstream, dont even know if that f***in company is sitll around. anyway, better hit f***in SUBMIT before the connection dies again.

Nozzleman_216
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Nozzleman_216 »

I have actually have had good luck with Speedstream modems. It sounds like you have att/sbc dsl? If they won't give you a new modem I am not sure what you should do. Cable is pretty good and they usually just let you "rent" the modem, but this is good especially if it goes bad.

I have had better luck with DSL though and I like the speeds/price better.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6825112005
This looks like a very nice modem/router. Its not wireless but you can add one. OR there is this that is wireless.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6833109019
XBL: Nozzleman 216
PSN: Nozzleman_216

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

So I went to the store today and checked out the combo dsl modem + wireless routers. The store guy was trying hard to sell me one made by some company named Zoom.

Anyway, I took a look at all the boxes in the store and they all were discounted! I asked him why and he said they're all OPENED BOX.

I was like wtf, and sure enough, all of them had been returned to the store, ALL!

So should I even consider these Dual router/modem combo's or just go ahead and buy a seperate modem and seperate router? Are the combo's reliable?

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Always separate modem and separate router. That way if one fails you don't have to replace both.

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:Always separate modem and separate router. That way if one fails you don't have to replace both.
agreed

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

Well I bought a new dsl modem and wireless router and the damn thing still is dropping the connection.

I called the idiots at the phone company and the guy tells me just unplug the power surge cord from the wall and it should work. It did work, for like 2 hours! Then it was going back up and down again.

I called back and the guys like it's probably youf line. duh! I told him they sent some guy out last week to check the line and he said it was fine. Now he said they're gonna charge me $140 just to check the line.

Basically I am done with these jerkoffs. I called the Cable Co. up today and the dude told me if I go with their Cable internet and Phone deal, he's going to throw in FREE HBO and Showtime for a year. I was like Hell ya!

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Inuyasha wrote:Basically I am done with these jerkoffs. I called the Cable Co. up today and the dude told me if I go with their Cable internet and Phone deal, he's going to throw in FREE HBO and Showtime for a year. I was like Hell ya!
That's what I had to do when I moved into my condo last summer. AT&T wanted to charge me 99 bucks to come check my lines that were all brand new because we re-modeled the place. I said, F that, and went with Cable. The only reason I even tried to stick with DSL was the fact that I was only paying 24.99 for their top speed package. Doesn't mean sh*t when they have a bad connection coming in from the node down the street. So that was that. Sorry you had to go that far...it's a pain.

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

need your guys help again.

so the cable guy setup my computer for cable internet.

It's working fine, but now on my laptop, I can't get it to work with the wireless modem. When I click 'lookup wireless networks', it doesn't pick anything up also. Also, when I have my wireless hooked up to the laptop with the wire, and put in the wireless router's IP to login, it doesn't even recognize that.

The wireless radio is on so I dont now what he changed when he installed the new hookup.

Also, my old dsl required a login/password, this cable internet does not. I just plug the wire into the laptop and it connects automatically.

Thanks.

eman
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by eman »

Inuyasha wrote:need your guys help again.

so the cable guy setup my computer for cable internet.

It's working fine, but now on my laptop, I can't get it to work with the wireless modem. When I click 'lookup wireless networks', it doesn't pick anything up also. Also, when I have my wireless hooked up to the laptop with the wire, and put in the wireless router's IP to login, it doesn't even recognize that.

The wireless radio is on so I dont now what he changed when he installed the new hookup.

Also, my old dsl required a login/password, this cable internet does not. I just plug the wire into the laptop and it connects automatically.

Thanks.
For security purposes he may have disabled SSID broadcasts. You need to log into the router and make sure SSID is being broadcast and/or determine if there is any WEP/WPA encryption. Once you have this info you can manually assign this information into your laptops wireless networking software. Speaking of wireless software, do you use proprietary software that came with the router or windows wireless networking? If you're using the manufacturers software, you may need to disable windows wireless software service to keep from having the two conflict with each other. Go to start, run and type compmgmt.msc. Open services and disable or stop Windows Zero Wireless configuration service.

What are you typing to access the Wireless AP? Most use 192.168.1.1 unless the cable guy changed your gateway IP.

What OS are you running? If you have XP click start/run and type CMD and hit enter. When the command prompt opens type IPCONFIG and hit enter. This will give you an IP address and your wireless router/modem's IP address (default gateway). Use this information to web into the router and check settings. If the cable guy had any f***in sense he would have password protected the router so you may need a password.