OT: Home Theater help

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

ProvoAnC
Starting 5
Starting 5

OT: Home Theater help

Post by ProvoAnC »

Ok dudes...we just finished our basement and now I am in need of a home theater. We have a Philips 42" plasma and DirectTV. The room is about 15X15 with an open back. Its wired for 7 channels

For receiver-speakers-DVD I'd like to stay around 1500

RECEIVERS:
marantz SR4001 http://us.marantz.com/Products/1867.asp
onkyo TXSR605 http://www.us.onkyo.com/model.cfm?m=TX- ... ceiver&p=i

SPEAKERS:
SVSound 5.1 (wait and get 2 more speakers later) or just get the 7.1 right now http://www.svsound.com/products-sys-sbs_black.cfm

DVD:
marantz DV4001 http://us.marantz.com/Products/405.asp

Lemme know which reveiver you think would be better or if I would be better off staying 5.1 and then getting 2 more speakers later as more funds become available. Or should I stay 5.1 and get a better sub?

Any and all help is appreciated...except from my cousin because he enjoys the company of a man's anus
I have a new gamertag Provo 4569

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

Provo, that's great. I bet you are excited. Our basement is going to be finished in about a month or so and I can't wait. I've been slowly buying the home theatre equipment over the past few weeks. I considered that Onkyo receiver but found a good deal on a Sony that I liked instead.

I bought these speakers and have them setup along with my new TV in the den now until the basement is done. I've been playing games and watching TV/movies using the sound on my TV for years...wow...what a difference!

http://www.tweeter.com/product/index.js ... age=search

Does the DVD player really cost that much or can you find it cheaper? I've been watching DVDs with the PS3 on my new Sony 52XBR2 and they look amazing. If the $100 price cut or Circuit City deal is true maybe you should consider a PS3. It would probably be worth it to add a bluray and gaming system for just $200 more than the DVD player.

I have a few questions:

1. I am petrified of flooding. We have never had a drop of water in our basement, but we have had some tropical depressions/storms that had the sump pump running constantly. Should I get a battery backup and/or generator in case the electricity goes out?

2. I'm not sure what kind of speaker wire the contractor is going to put in for the back speakers (I have stands for the front L/R and the center channel will be on our TV stand). Do I need to worry about it or is all speaker wire going to perform the same to the uneducated listener like myself that probably wouldn't know the difference?

3. We have a central "box" in the basement to control all the coaxial cable and phone connections for each room. I'm assuming that the main DirecTV line would feed that box just like Comcast does. Do I need to wait until everything is done or is it really easy to switch the location of the boxes around. For instance, if I get it now I'd want the box in the den for 4-6 weeks and then move it to the basement when it is finished. Is that something I can do myself?

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

Couple of things to note is the size of the room so you could definately get away with only 5.1 and still not many movies even the blu-ray i have support all 7 anyway but i would just go with the 7.1 getting 2 more matched speakers when you get the funds as that will elimenate all doubt of maybe what am i missing with a 5.1.

It will free your mind and result in just enjoying the experience.

ProvoAnC
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by ProvoAnC »

Leebo33 wrote:Provo, that's great. I bet you are excited. Our basement is going to be finished in about a month or so and I can't wait. I've been slowly buying the home theatre equipment over the past few weeks. I considered that Onkyo receiver but found a good deal on a Sony that I liked instead.

I bought these speakers and have them setup along with my new TV in the den now until the basement is done. I've been playing games and watching TV/movies using the sound on my TV for years...wow...what a difference!

http://www.tweeter.com/product/index.js ... age=search

Does the DVD player really cost that much or can you find it cheaper? I've been watching DVDs with the PS3 on my new Sony 52XBR2 and they look amazing. If the $100 price cut or Circuit City deal is true maybe you should consider a PS3. It would probably be worth it to add a bluray and gaming system for just $200 more than the DVD player.

I have a few questions:

1. I am petrified of flooding. We have never had a drop of water in our basement, but we have had some tropical depressions/storms that had the sump pump running constantly. Should I get a battery backup and/or generator in case the electricity goes out?

2. I'm not sure what kind of speaker wire the contractor is going to put in for the back speakers (I have stands for the front L/R and the center channel will be on our TV stand). Do I need to worry about it or is all speaker wire going to perform the same to the uneducated listener like myself that probably wouldn't know the difference?

3. We have a central "box" in the basement to control all the coaxial cable and phone connections for each room. I'm assuming that the main DirecTV line would feed that box just like Comcast does

4. Do I need to wait until everything is done or is it really easy to switch the location of the boxes around. For instance, if I get it now I'd want the box in the den for 4-6 weeks and then move it to the basement when it is finished. Is that something I can do myself?
No...the DVD player is about 130. www.accessories4less.com

1. yes get a back up or a water alarm or something. Also look outside to see how your yard is graded around your house. Look for areas that are sloping toward the house and fix it. That's a big problem that is oftentimes overlooked. "Well my sump will get it." Negative. Make sure your yard is graded away from the house and you won't make your sump work harder than it has to.

2. Get good wires. I got mine from www.bluejeanscable.com

3. yes...I have the same thing except I haven't gotten a box for it yet. Its just a bunch of wires...but at least I know where they all go!

4. What box are you talking about? The TV box or the control hub? If yer talking about the control hub, its easy as long as all the new wiring is in one location.

Pat

Zlax45
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zlax45 »

What is everyone's opinion of Direct TV?
My xbox live name is "The Zlax45"

Jackdog
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jackdog »

Congrats brother! Sounds kick ass. Enjoy!
[img]http://www.ideaspot.net/flags/Big_10/small/mich-sm.gif[/img][img]http://www.ideaspot.net/nfl/NFC_North/small/pack1-sm.gif[/img]

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Where the f*ck did you come up with the dosh? Jill selling gourmet breast milk on the side? You're a Kelly -- you're born to be CHEAP!

Congrats. I'm a jealous c*cksucker. :)

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

ProvoAnC
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by ProvoAnC »

Its called overtime brother...lots and lots of overtime.

DirectTV...I like it a lot better than those motherfucking, cock-licking, ass-jockeys...otherwise known as Charter Cable. f***in dickbags...I hate those cock f***ers with a passion

Anyways...I've had really good experiences with DirectTV. I've never lost the signal, but it has gone pixely a handful of times due to heavy storms. I think customer service is also great.

So none of you swinging dicks out there can tell me yea or nea on my above selections? I don't know jack s*** about any of this stuff...I need help from the resident stereo nerdery ;)

What about oppo DVD players??

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Buy rFactor NOW, you dick. That's my f*cking advice. :)

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

ProvoAnC
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by ProvoAnC »

HA!

BLOW ME!!!

I'll get it gayrod

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

On Direct TV, they just launched a new satellite this week. It will probably take a couple of months but they've promised 100 new nationals HD channels as well as more local HD channels.

Now their HD package is $10 but who knows what they will charge if they really do add 100 more channels, which is several times what they have now.

What would be BS is if they charge as much for the Total Choice SD package. Obviously, HDTV viewers won't watch the SD channels if HD versions are available.

But if they force you to get an SD package which starts at about $40 a month and then make you pay at least another $20 just to get the HD versions of those channels, that would be ridiculous.

They haven't been raising costs as much as cable but they've been raising them just about every year. So I don't want to hear some BS about increased programming costs or increased satellite costs.

On the HT question, I wouldn't spend over $500 for a receiver now. Those are in flux as much as HDTV displays. Get something functional now but maybe expect to buy another in a few years when they sort out how they're going to support the new audio formats like TruHD or Master Audio DTS.

Either players are going to decode these formats or send raw streams to the receivers via HDMI to decode there. Main benefit of these new formats is lossless compresion instead of lossy as in the case of DD and DTS now.

WillHunting
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by WillHunting »

Go with Marantz (or Denon) for the receiver. I have a Denon and I love everything about it. When I upgrade (with HDMI) then I will get a Marantz.
+++++++++++++++
Gamertag: The Praxis
+++++++++++++++

jondiehl
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jondiehl »

ProvoAnC wrote: What about oppo DVD players??
I have a Oppo Digital DV-970HD in the family room for my Toshiba 56HM66 (56" DLP, 720p).

It does a great job upconverting standard DVD's and I watch DivX files on it too. After lots of research on AVSForum and other review sites, I bought the Oppo sight unseen (via their website) and have been very happy. Not ready to make the jump to HD or BluRay DVD until I upgrade to a 1080p front projector, so this did just fine in the meantime. Highly recommended.

Here's the thread at AVS on it:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=682896
XBoxJon
[url=http://live.xbox.com/member/XBoxJon]Gamer Profile[/url]
[url=http://live.xbox.com/en-us/profile/MessageCenter/SendMessage.aspx?gt=XBoxJon]Send me a XBL message[/url]

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

Provo,

I think both of those receivers will do well. There was one thing I noticed with the Onkyo: it looks like it does analog-to-HDMI conversion, whereas the Marantz does its analog upconversion through component. That would allow you to just have one HDMI cable into the TV for all your video signals, instead of HDMI and component. You can let the receiver handle the switching instead of also having to switch the TV too.

Anyway, enjoy the new home theater -- sounds great!

ProvoAnC
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by ProvoAnC »

thanks for all the input guys.

AVS has been my best friend for the past week or so.

Brando you pretty much sealed the onkyo for me. AVS said the same thing as well.

onkyo
sbs-01 package
oppo DVD

Bill_Abner
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Bill_Abner »

It's going to be a crazy holiday season at the Abner house. After saving pennies (lots of them) and getting a super cool cash advance Xmas gift from my parents, we're finally, FINALLY going to get a DLP with a home theater setup. Did I mention finally?

Anyway, here's what we're looking at:

Sony 60" DLP KDS-60A3000 (on sale for $1700)
Micra-6 5.1 speaker system w/ Subwoofer - we have an 11x13 room (http://www.athenaspeakers.com/v2/produc ... a+6+System)
We're also on the fence about gettign an HD DVD player. Any advice there?

I'm still debating the receiver, as well. Was thinking about the Pioneer VSX-516 or the Onkyo TX-SR 504.

Anyone have any experience with any of these?
No High Scores:
http://www.nohighscores.com/

Sport73
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sport73 »

Congratulations.

The Sony 60A3000 is arguably the best RPTV available, though it's (fortunately) not DLP. Sony uses their take on LCoS (Liquid Crystal on Silicon) for their high-end RPTV's, dubbed SXRD. It eliminates the color wheel, wobulation, and noise of DLP based sets while retaining the deep blacks, superb contrast, and resiliency.

I could go on, but I'll spare everyone the science lesson. Just thought you should know that you're looking at a set that is not DLP in case you get it and feel the need to brag to friends and neighbors.
Sport73

"Can't we all just get along? I'll turn this car around RIGHT now!"

jondiehl
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jondiehl »

Bill_Abner wrote:We're also on the fence about gettign an HD DVD player. Any advice there?
For the DVD player, you can get a Toshiba HD DVD player (HD-A2) right now for under $200. The HD-A3 (just came out this month) will be $169 on Black Friday in a few weeks @ Sears (normally $299).

It will upconvert SD DVD's as well as the Oppo player I mentioned earlier in the thread, but also has the benefit of being able to play HD DVD's. Plus, it comes with 7 free HD DVD's (9 if you buy it right now at Best Buy for full price, and hope for a Black Friday pricematch).

I just added a front projector HD theater in my basement with a 110" screen and my Oppo upconverting DVD player looked outstanding with regular DVD's, even at that size. However, with HD DVD players hitting sub <$200 levels, I'll be snatching one up and putting the Oppo back with my 56" DLP.

Read more about the Toshiba HD-A2 and HD-A3 in this forum:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=151
XBoxJon
[url=http://live.xbox.com/en-us/profile/MessageCenter/SendMessage.aspx?gt=XBoxJon]Send me a XBL message[/url]

JohnnytheSkin
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by JohnnytheSkin »

I have the HD-A20 HD DVD player and love it with my Mitsubishi 1080p WD-57831. The Tosh outputs 1080p/24fps which is what all movies are filmed in and they couldn't look better. Highly recommended (especially since the A3000 accepts 1080p).

The A2 is a bit better at upconverting, while the XA2 is the BEST, but you pay for the price premium. The A2 however, doesn't do 1080p.

jondiehl
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jondiehl »

JohnnytheSkin wrote:The A2 however, doesn't do 1080p.
Yeah, my projector (Panasonic AX-200U) is 720p native, so I'm only looking for a 720p/1080i HD DVD player. I think the A3 will fit the bill, especially at that Black Friday price at Sears.

Although, in reading reviews of my PJ over at projectorcentral, apparently it does a great job with 1080p sources too. So I dunno if it's worth it (for me) to pay the extra $100 (MSRP) for the A30 to get 1080p output.
XBoxJon

LAking
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by LAking »

Resurrecting an old thread for a question. I'm just curious about front projectors these days. Lately I've been doing my usual research to purchase a new TV. I know what I'm going to get but I've also been thinking about the future. I figure the next time I need/want to upgrade my TV i'll be looking into front projectors instead of LCD or Plasma, or whatever new technology is available.

Does anyone have any experience with these? I've looked at AVS forum but I don't even know where to start. I figure I won't be able to afford the super high end projectors ($3000+ according to AVS). Something under $3000 would be good. What can I expect as far as PQ for something in that price range? How do they compare to high end LCD or Plasma?

Any input is appreciated.
"Be tolerant of those who describe a sporting moment as their best ever. We do not lack imagination, nor have we had sad and barren lives; it is just that real life is paler, duller, and contains less potential for unexpected delirium." -Nick Hornby

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

In one of the meeting rooms at my company, they installed a 100-inch plasma and a projector with a screen about the same size, a bit bigger.

We compared both, mainly looking at 1080p trailers online.

Took awhile for the projector to warm up but once it did, it looked really consistent and smoother than the plasma.

Now, these were reportedly very expensive. The Panasonic plasma is tens of thousands and I think the projector was also Panasonic.

You have to have a room you can completely darken and there is fan noise from that projector.

I think OLED has to prove that it can deliver big screens (over 40 maybe 50 inches) and competitive price and which lasts as long as LCD and plasma.

Lot of ifs but if they deliver, it could be outstanding. We're talking in the next 2-3 years though.

jondiehl
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jondiehl »

You can get 1080p for under $3000 now. 720p is dirt cheap, and I've been using that for my front projectors for several years and have loved it.

PQ with front projection has more to do to with your viewing environment than the projector itself. If you have a dedicated room with no ambient light, even a 480p projector can look stellar.

AVSforum is a great resource, I've been a member there since early in 2001 when I got my first HDTV. However, keep in mind that many of the threads are SUPER nitpicking and some owners enjoy tweaking their gear more than being happy with their purchase and enjoying a great setup.

Another good site is this one, for researching models and seeing real costs:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/projector-reviews.cfm
XBoxJon

LAking
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by LAking »

I visit AVSforum a lot. Been checking it almost daily deciding what TV i'm about to buy. Have finally decided on either a 61" or 67" Samsung HL6*A750 LED DLP set. I was originally set on a 52" Sammy LCD but noticed how cheap the DLPs are and couldn't resist the size (setting myself up for some jokes right there). The Sammy LED based sets have gotten great reviews and I've lived with the benefits and drawbacks of a DLP for a few years so I know what i'm getting with it.

Now i'm just thinking that by the time I go looking for my NEXT TV it will need to be even bigger. The idea of blacking out the room might turn me away from projectors. It's nice to have some natural light when I'm watching in the day time, especially when I have company over.

At least it's good to know that the PQ is as good if not better than a nice LCD or Plasma, and I won't have to spend a fortune.
"Be tolerant of those who describe a sporting moment as their best ever. We do not lack imagination, nor have we had sad and barren lives; it is just that real life is paler, duller, and contains less potential for unexpected delirium." -Nick Hornby

Slumberland
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Slumberland »

I rock a Panasonic 720p front projector and I love it.