ot: guerilla cardio!!!

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

ot: guerilla cardio!!!

Post by fletcher21 »

wow... this plan looks impressive to say the least!

i plan to start it monday(getting new running shoes this weekend)... has anyone here ever done it? man i am excited about it!

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

If you're already not semi-fit before attempting this, I guarantee you will get hurt within a week.

High-intensity VO2 max sprints by an unfit person? You're just asking for a pull or tear of a muscle or tendon, or some other sort of overuse injury.

Plus you're never going to build a fitness base with four minutes of exercise a few times per week. Sure, it may burn fat, but it's not going to build any kind of long-term base for sustained strength or cardiovascular efficiency.

But in theory, there's absolutely nothing new about this program. It's interval training with a catchy name. But interval training must be done on top of a decent cardiovascular and strength base to avoid injury and get results.

Plus 20-second sprints? Hell, when I ran cross country in track, we used to do four or five repeat miles at 5:20 pace on a track with just a 400-meter jog for rest. Or we did multiple sprints up a 200-meter hill with just a slow jog down for rest.

Now THAT's guerrilla cardio.

Good luck with this. But it looks quite gimmicky to me.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

ProvoAnC
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by ProvoAnC »

www.rosstraining.com

I swear by infinite intensity and Ross is G2G
I have a new gamertag Provo 4569

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by F308GTB »

Agree with Paul on this. What a gimmick. Paul's track training is true interval training. Doing 5 mile repeats at 5:20 pace is a true VO2 workout. A short warmup/cooldown with a "high intensity" interval sandwiched between? I call that a single points race at the velodrome for me. Heck, it's not even a decent calorie burner. If I did this workout on the bike I might burn off half a candy bar. As a VO2 workout, you're only getting a minute or two total at VO2. My VO2 bike workouts are similar to Paul's past run workouts - 5-8 repeats for 5-8 minutes each (30-40 minutes total and 20-30 minutes in true VO2 zones).

Now I will disagree with Paul about the difficulty of this workout. I've done a slight variation of this on the bike (30 on/30 off, aka "Billat intervals"). The on portions are done at higher than VO2 power/pace. As you do more, you generate that VO2 response, and because the on efforts are at a very high intensity, they do work on neuromuscular power. But I don't routinely do these as I'd much rather do a long, continuous VO2 interval (to simulate a pursuit race or establishing a breakaway in a road race).

You'd be better off just with straight running. As you develop, you can do something like this or Billat intervals. Both are a bit like a Fartlek workout.

ProvoAnC
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by ProvoAnC »

I'd also like to add the awesomeness of tabata intervals and breathing ladders...and burpees
I have a new gamertag Provo 4569

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Ah, Fartlek. We used to do a lot of that, too. A fun variation from the sometimes mind-numbing monotony of speed work on the track.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425