Racing Sim Thread, Part II

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Racing Sim Thread, Part II

Post by F308GTB »

F308GTB wrote:
Rodster wrote: I missed out on the sale but I put it on my wishlist. The regular price is now $19.99, what was the sale price?
Whatever sale there was would have been minimal. I got it for $16 or $18 As a first week special a bit more than a month ago.
Fyi, KartKraft is on sale at Humble Humble for $17.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

F308GTB wrote:
F308GTB wrote:
Rodster wrote: I missed out on the sale but I put it on my wishlist. The regular price is now $19.99, what was the sale price?
Whatever sale there was would have been minimal. I got it for $16 or $18 As a first week special a bit more than a month ago.
Fyi, KartKraft is on sale at Humble Humble for $17.
Thanks, I think i'll wait for the Steam sale in the event I don't like it, I have at least have two hours to get a refund.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Good Lord, DIRT Rally 2.0 is looking delicious. Day One purchase for me:

https://www.teamvvv.com/news/heres-17-m ... ly-driver/
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

pk500 wrote:Good Lord, DIRT Rally 2.0 is looking delicious. Day One purchase for me:

When that dude got in the Subi about halfway through, along w/ the dry weather, he was CRUISING. Whoa. That looks so damn good.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
pk500 wrote:Good Lord, DIRT Rally 2.0 is looking delicious. Day One purchase for me:

When that dude got in the Subi about halfway through, along w/ the dry weather, he was CRUISING. Whoa. That looks so damn good.
The Codies put a professional rally driver behind the wheel for that vid. Cat makes it look so easy ...

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

dbdynsty25 wrote:

You mean it doesn't look like that for everybody when they drive Dirt Rally? :lol:

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

TCrouch wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote:

You mean it doesn't look like that for everybody when they drive Dirt Rally? :lol:
It does for you, I'm sure!

AcemanPR
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by AcemanPR »

Definitely salivating for this one!

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by F308GTB »

Rodster wrote:
F308GTB wrote: Fyi, KartKraft is on sale at Humble Humble for $17.
Thanks, I think i'll wait for the Steam sale in the event I don't like it, I have at least have two hours to get a refund.
On sale at Steam for $17. VR update released yesterday, and it looks fantastic in VR. There is a bit of a physics issue with this release as kerbs really kick the car way too much. Should be a relatively easy patch update.

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by F308GTB »

F308GTB wrote:
Rodster wrote:
F308GTB wrote: Fyi, KartKraft is on sale at Humble Humble for $17.
On sale at Steam for $17. VR update released yesterday, and it looks fantastic in VR. There is a bit of a physics issue with this release as kerbs really kick the car way too much. Should be a relatively easy patch update.
FYI - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnfGRkobtnE

It does look that good in VR.

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by F308GTB »

The value definitely went up with me, though it may be summer before I buy it. Oculus Rift to be supported on the PC :D But not for several months :(

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Promising news for MotoGP 19, especially the addition of historical content:

https://www.teamvvv.com/news/motogp-19- ... proved-ai/

I don't believe claims of improved AI from Milestone until I see and feel them with my own eyes and hands. This series has atrophied badly under Milestone. Pretty sad that the two best MotoGP games remain MotoGP and MotoGP 2 from Climax, which were released in 2002 and 2004, I believe.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

pk500 wrote:Promising news for MotoGP 19, especially the addition of historical content:

https://www.teamvvv.com/news/motogp-19- ... proved-ai/

I don't believe claims of improved AI from Milestone until I see and feel them with my own eyes and hands. This series has atrophied badly under Milestone. Pretty sad that the two best MotoGP games remain MotoGP and MotoGP 2 from Climax, which were released in 2002 and 2004, I believe.
Milestone produces Bike games based on mediocrity. They are neither bad nor great, just meh. Their games look average and run like crap.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:Milestone produces Bike games based on mediocrity. They are neither bad nor great, just meh. Their games look average and run like crap.
Well said. Milestone milks the license for all of the profit it can get, never worrying too much about making a quality game.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

I love DIRT Rally 2.0, but WRC 8 also is looking really promising:

https://www.teamvvv.com/previews/wrc-8- ... ew-part-1/

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

pk500 wrote:WRC 8 also is looking really promising
If Milestone isn't making the game it's always a step in the right direction.

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

Not so sure on Milestone. I tend to feel that the games they produce these days are the best they can do, and I tend to feel that way because I played the V8 Superstars games. PK will struggle to believe me when I say they were worse than Total Immersion Racing, and when the bar they're trying to clear is as low as the one set by TIR, I can't blame him, but I swear it's the truth. Their more recent output, Seb Loeb Rally possibly excepted, is forgettable, but I will never forget those two V8 games no matter how hard I try.

I would love to sit with my wheel and get stuck in to something a bit more hard-core but I don't really have the time or the opportunity. I finally dug the old G25 out for some rFactor 2 a few months ago, though, after a good 3 years away. The motors are wheezing and the self-calibration is a good 30 degrees out, but I'm damned if hustling the 1991 F1 mod around Interlagos wasn't the most fun I've had in ages. It made me wish I had a CSL Elite and a load cell pedal kit, though since the G25 has been back in the box ever since, it might be more productive to throw 650 quid out to sea instead.

For that reason, I'm properly excited about WRC 8. Authenticity is still what I'm after but it needs to be given in a way that I can pick up quickly, usually during a stolen few minutes between me turning Paw Patrol off and my daughter realising I've turned Paw Patrol off. Kylotonn's previous stabs at the licence have landed exactly in the sweet spot in that regard, and the additions of live weather and improved stages to that mix sound terrific. Even more so if I get to see any of that weather before PJ Masks starts.
XBox Live and PSN Gamertag: theycallhimsim

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Formula E just released a mobile game that allows players to compete in actual Formula E events real-time:

https://racer.com/2019/04/26/ghost-raci ... real-time/

That's next-level cool!

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

pk500 wrote:Formula E just released a mobile game that allows players to compete in actual Formula E events real-time:

That's next-level cool!
The first-of-its-kind ghost racing game — which is available to download for free on iOS and Android — doesn’t just bring fans closer to the action than ever before, but “actually puts them in the driving seat at each E-Prix — revolutionizing fan participation and in-play options compared to other sporting disciplines,” the series said in a release announcing the game’s launch.
That is pretty cool and worth checking out, although I wish it wasn't mobile only. However, as you probably know Paul, the Indy Racing League was the first series to deploy ghost racing against real telemetry back in the early 2000's. It wasn't live as it was happening, but each week you could race against certain drivers during specific parts of the previous event based on the actual telemetry. Similar to Nascar Heat style challenges. Of course, since it was telemetry, the drivers did not react to your car at all, so you sometimes had to come up with creative ways to beat them. While the physics and graphics weren't great, it was definitely an innovation way ahead of it's time and I enjoyed it while it lasted.

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by F308GTB »

pk500 wrote:Formula E just released a mobile game that allows players to compete in actual Formula E events real-time:

That's next-level cool!
For those with rfactor2 on the pc, there is a new Formula E Gen 2 car pack out now. How you drive them is completely different from what you may be used to. Just like you need to check your usual driving style at the door when you drive karts, these require retraining how you brake into turns particular. Very enjoyable dlc

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Codemaster has a new GRID game releasing in mid Sept. I wasn't a huge fan of the last two so i'll reserve judgement, hoping they up the realism a bit. The last two games had that Forza Horizon vibe without being as good as Forza Horizon.

https://www.motorsport.com/esports/news ... o/4393139/

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Both GRID games could have sucked the chrome from a trailer hitch. Color me uninterested, for now.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

pk500 wrote:Both GRID games could have sucked the chrome from a trailer hitch. Color me uninterested, for now.
I hear ya, I didn't like them either. The last one in the series Autosport was slightly better than the previous game but not by much. It was supposed to be more sim and it was just as arcadey as the previous game.

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

Assetto Corsa Competizione - Full Version to be Released on Steam Today

https://505games.com/assetto-corsa-comp ... -on-steam/

Assetto Corsa Competizione Launch Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpTkgOB_TEo

https://www.assettocorsa.net/competizione/
The wait is finally over! After many months in Early Access, Assetto Corsa Competizione, the Official Blancpain GT Series game, launches today on Steam.

Featuring 51 teams, 280 selectable drivers and 14 manufacturers, Assetto Corsa Competizione allows sim racers to experience the real atmosphere of the FIA GT3 homologated championship.

Developed using Unreal Engine 4 to ensure a visual treat, Assetto Corsa Competizione sets a new standard in driving realism and immersion, including the introduction of variable weather conditions and night races to influence challenge and racing strategies.

Virtual drivers will experience a simulation of the Blancpain GT Series by taking the wheel of one of the game’s featured luxury motorcars including Ferrari, Lamborghini and Aston Martin, or choose from a number of other prestigious GT racing cars, all replicated with an outstanding level of detail.