Racing Sim Thread, Part II

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Racing Sim Thread, Part II

Post by Wilk5280 »

I think 1.4.0 did more harm than good. A lot of people can’t play their career anymore and, on PS5 anyway, the choppiness, screen tearing, and frame rate issue is a disaster.
GT = Wilk5280

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

Have we settled on a verdict re: EA WRC 1.4, chaps? I got a £50 gift card for Christmas which was meant as a means of buying F1 23 and WRC, but some of the initial feedback on the latest WRC patch has me wondering whether to hold off. I'm all out of free trial so can't check it out for myself.
XBox Live and PSN Gamertag: theycallhimsim

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

GB_Simo wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 3:20 pm
Have we settled on a verdict re: EA WRC 1.4, chaps? I got a £50 gift card for Christmas which was meant as a means of buying F1 23 and WRC, but some of the initial feedback on the latest WRC patch has me wondering whether to hold off. I'm all out of free trial so can't check it out for myself.
I LOVE the game. Runs fine for me on the Series X.

The asphalt physics model isn't great, a recurring theme for Codemasters' rally games back to the original Colin McRae. It must be the Achilles heel for that development team like calling penalties is for the Madden dev team.

Otherwise, I think the game is sublime. Good fun. Some proper long stages of 20 km or longer, too!
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

GB_Simo wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 3:20 pm
I really want to like this game and I'll need to go back to playing it on Series X to see how much better, if any, the framerate and stuttering issues are compared to on the PS5.

If I had to make a claim right now, I'd say WRC 10 is the better value. Unfortunately, Klyotonn mailed in last year's game, Generations, due to losing the WRC license after its release so it wasn't that good, IMO. WRC 10 has the most polilsh and bang for the buck if you ask me.
GT = Wilk5280

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

Wilk, I went ahead with a purchase on Series X after PK's recommendation and it's running absolutely fine for me in gameplay. I've seen one stutter in the little cut scene immediately before the stage starts, but nothing while driving. Still a few bits of screen tear but I suspect that's baked in at this stage. One observation I would make, though: it strikes me that if a patch release is capable of completely breaking the entire Career mode, that's the kind of thing that should probably pop up in QA testing.

On WRC Generations, I'd go a step further and suggest that in a number of ways, Kylotonn actively made things a bit worse. Take the tarmac physics, for example, which were class-leading in 9 and 10 but took on the same floaty quality as the Codemasters games in Generations.
XBox Live and PSN Gamertag: theycallhimsim

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

sooo, we gonna do another one of those WRC rallies or no?
GT = Wilk5280

AcemanPR
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by AcemanPR »

I'm in for a WRC rally. Someone has to bring up the rear. :lol:

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

Wilk5280 wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 2:45 pm
sooo, we gonna do another one of those WRC rallies or no?
Yes, sorry for the delay. I am going to create it's own thread for the championship series, but my thoughts are to make it easy for participation, not too many stages, allow all assists, cross-platform, one week per rally with different location and car class so that by the end of the championship we have hit all locations and car classes, or at least the ones everyone is interested in. See this thread for anyone that is interested in participating or giving feedback. Thanks!

EA WRC DSP Rally Championship
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=17212

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Many thanks for organizing this, Don!
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

F1 23 -- the latest EA F1 game -- coming to GamePass Thursday. Very solid driving and racing model if you can ignore the odious story modes and F1 Life mode.