Racing Sim Thread, Part II

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Latest update of Porsche Fabcar Challenge for rFactor is out:

http://www.rfactorcentral.com/detail.cf ... 0Challenge

This is a very fun mod. Grant's (Gurantsu) pimping of it was spot-on.

Also, the latest update of Champ Car was released in the last few weeks. I know it's heresy for me to say this, but the update made a good mod even better. VERY fun.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Damn this is going to be sweet and the screenshots look amazing especially the McLarens. :D

F1 1991 MMG

All 18 Teams, 35 Drivers and All the tracks for the 1991 Season. Hello Phoenix. :D :D

http://www.rfactorcentral.com/detail.cf ... 1991%20MMG

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

1991 is the first season I was old enough to watch and remember and some of the cars from that year are among the best-looking racing cars ever created, in my opinion, so I'll be all over that mod when it's released.

PK, does the Champ Car update fix the problem of excessive grip that people complained of in the first release? As one of the fifteen people who still watch Champ Car races, I'd be very interested in a mod for it that seemed believable but the videos of the first release really put me off it.
XBox Live and PSN Gamertag: theycallhimsim

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

GB_Simo wrote:PK, does the Champ Car update fix the problem of excessive grip that people complained of in the first release? As one of the fifteen people who still watch Champ Car races, I'd be very interested in a mod for it that seemed believable but the videos of the first release really put me off it.
Adam:

Indeed, it does. The cars slide much more, yet predictably, in version 1.1. The original release felt like driving Scaletrix cars -- the grip was obscene.

I could be drawn and quartered for writing this, but the revised Champ Car mod is very big fun. A superb mix of power and control. Definitely worthwhile.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Too bad I gave up on the CCWS mod. I got tired of getting rear ended by the psycho AI.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:Too bad I gave up on the CCWS mod. I got tired of getting rear ended by the psycho AI.
You don't need AI when you race with it online ...

Take care,
PK

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

pk500 wrote:
Rodster wrote:Too bad I gave up on the CCWS mod. I got tired of getting rear ended by the psycho AI.
You don't need AI when you race with it online ...

Take care,
PK
I can't unfortunately. ;)

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

Gave the rFactor CCWS mod a whirl last night and it seems like plenty of fun, though all I've done so far is tool around Montreal somewhere between last and slowest and spin into turn one every other lap. I did get involved in a couple of good scraps before my first rotation, though, and the AI behaved itself very well. I want to run a couple more tracks before I pass judgement on it but I'm looking forward to doing so, which is a good sign.

I tried PK's recommendation of a race around the Indy oval in the GPC '79 cars too, and it's all kinds of fun. I only ran a 5 lap race so I don't know how a longer event would pan out (with a sequence of blown engines, I guess) but the short race develops into an exciting slipstreaming battle, and it's flat out all the way unless you get a bit off line.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

rFactor's finest has just been released!!!!! Enjoy fellas :D

http://www.rfactorcentral.com/detail.cfm?ID=PCC%202007

PCC 2007 1.0

By: GSMF
Origin: Scratch | Real World
Category: Touring
Initial release: 31-Aug-07
Current release: 1.0, on 31-Aug-07

The modification PCC 2007 simulates 4 seasons with the new 997 GT3 Cup Car. The Mod inlcudes the carrera Cup Seasons of Germany, Australia and the Asia Cup also the Porsche Mobil1 Supercup witch is a support series from the FIA Formula 1.

This mod includes a more detailed Porsche 911 GT3 Cup carshape which might be the best shape possible without CAD data. The car has high resolution textures as well and an even more real cockpit which makes driving as impressing and real as never seen before.

Physics have been developed in cooperation with the real PCC driver Ralph Kalaschek and his team MRS Racing. The car's behaviour on track feels closer to reality than in any other racing simulation out there.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Thanks for the tip, Rodster! This sounds mega. Four seasons, including the Porsche Michelin Supercup, which ran as a support series for the USGP at Indy from 2000-06.

VERY cool. Plus this mod is getting rave reviews from the rFactor community. Not surprised -- the 2005 version is fantastic.

rFactor online fellas: Let's run this online soon!

Take care,
PK

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Updated version of the 'Ring Nordschleife also released today and getting smashing, rave reviews:

http://www.rfactorcentral.com/detail.cf ... ife%202007

Let's run PCC 2007 on the updated 'Ring! Sounds like bliss.

Take care,
PK

Smurfy
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Smurfy »

I picked up the PCC and CCWS mods yesterday.

I tried the CCSW at Road America and it was a blast. With the long straights, I think this combo would be great for racing. I hope there's a Laguna Seca map to try next.

I'm just about to try the PCC mod...

And remember, I'll most likely be unavailable Tuesday nights.

Regards,
Smurfy.

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

All,

I've finally, after some 6 years, grown weary of my Logitech Driving Force and its inability to provide me with full braking power. The wheel is showing signs of age too, and since it's starting to limit my enjoyment of certain sims now seems like a good time to consider replacing it.

I won't consider anything that isn't Logitech, so I'm looking at either the DFP or the G25. I can get hold of a DFP for around £90 or a G25 for £150. If the consensus is that the G25 is worth the extra outlay then I'll go for it, but I'm what you might call careful with my money (alright - I'm Scrooge) and so I wanted to ask the opinions of some who might be able to help.

I'm a stickler for realism in my racing sims but I don't necessarily need a clutch pedal or a separate shifter - my concern is purely the quality of the wheel and pedals. On that score, I'm quite sure you'll tell me the G25 is better, but look at the price difference - is it worth it in your view?

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

The G25 is more than worth the extra scratch.

Even if you don't use the pedal, the integrated H-pattern shifter allowed me to dump my old Act Labs shifter. The Force Feedback technology is actually ahead of the DFP, to the point where you almost feel like it's a normal steering column in a slightly sandy bearing or something. Barely any "notchiness" to the actual force effects. The wheel itself has a much better feel than the DFP, but the DFP has a lot more buttons on the wheel than the G25, so if you map tons of controls to your wheel's face, you may have a problem.

I offloaded my DFP and bought a G25 months back and haven't regretted it one time since. I think it's more than worth the extra cash, without question.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Adam:

I love my DFP, but I would get a G25 in a heartbeat if the additional dosh was available.

I've NEVER seen an ill word written about the G25 in a review or forum on the Web. That must mean something!

After driving with a regular Logitech Driving Force all this time, you owe yourself a G25. Go for it!

Take care,
PK

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

The thought of how fast he'll be with a good wheel kind of scares me, though...

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

TCrouch wrote:The thought of how fast he'll be with a good wheel kind of scares me, though...
You'll have company, for a change. :)

Take care,
PK

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

The full version of a nice NR2003 mod that Paul turned me on to has just been released. SimModified have released the Whelen Modified Tour for Nascar Racing 2003.

http://www.simodified.com/
The highly anticipated Whelen Modified Tour mod for N2k3 has finally been released.

The mod includes four brand new car models, an entirely new dash/cockpit view and wider tires to best simulate the high powered asphalt race cars.

Due to the FIR$T/iRacing conflict, the SIModified.com Whelen Modified Tour mod will utilize .gns physics which were recommended by actual Whelen Modified driver and fellow sim racer, Donny Lia. "I would think the .gns physics would be the closest power to weight ratio package to use for the mod" he suggested while sitting in his car at Thompson Speedway.

SIModified.com will also release "Modified" versions of the tracks that the modifieds race on to best simulate the wider tires' grip level. This idea is not new as Project Wildfire's "IROC" Mod also utilized this idea.

Available now is an all new "Martinsville_Night_ Modified" which was a joint effort betwen the SaferBarrierProject's "J_Rock" and ASTG track building crew member, "OModified." Also available is "Jennerstown_Night_2008" by Joshua Guiher which already included a higher grip setting in it's release before the mod was completed.

Other tracks will be available shortly and be posted on the downloads pages at SIModified.com.

Finally, much like other sites devoted to the NEXTEL Cup Series, SIModified.com will have a full download area offering real schemes to include in your offline carsets.

If it's modified racing you've been waiting for, SIModified.com is the place to feed your modified need!

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Don:

Cool. Thanks!

What's the difference between this and the beta we've run the last few months?

Take care,
PK

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Thanks man, downloading right now. This is why PC gaming is sooooo much better than consoles. A 4 year old plus racing sim gets another update and a racing game no other developer has close to matching.

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

pk500 wrote:After driving with a regular Logitech Driving Force all this time, you owe yourself a G25. Go for it!
Oh, alright then. There's one on the way to me now, so I should get that in the next few days. Thanks for the advice, fellas.

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

RACE 2007 Demo has been released by Simbin featuring:
SimBin Development Team is prouder than ever before to announce the official PC demo for RACE 07 – The WTCC Game. This multiplayer demo contains several of the new features and game modes that RACE 07 will offer.

The RACE 07 demo allows you to fully explore the two tracks of Anderstorp, Sweden and Brands Hatch, UK along with the BMW E90 and Seat Leon. All from the current FIA WTCC calendar of 2007. On top of this you will also find the Formula 3000 class included.

New features included in the demo are:
• Alternative action camera for a greater sense of speed from cockpit
• Helmet cam view for open cockpit cars
• New driver animations with helmet visor Tear Off effects.
• New dynamic weather effects for helmet visors and windshields
• Customized skin support
• Multiplayer with up to 24 opponents, or fill up the field with AI cars.

Download now and try the exiting WTCC cars and get a taste of the new Formula cars and go online as much as you want to.
http://www.race-game.org/race07/download/demo.htm

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

My G25 arrived today. Having spent all that time with my Driving Force, I didn't realise that a change in peripheral could make such a big difference to a racing sim.

I tried it with rFactor on medium FF and -100% strength (I think that's right. The default setting, anyway - I have no idea if that's the best one) and the difference in the two wheels is like night and day. The G25 is solid enough that I can track in a straight line without having to chase the front end of the car down every straight and allows for much better quick steering correction than the DF. The FF is helping me to get a better feel for the braking limit, which is new to me since I've always found the audio and visual cues for that in ISI games to be lacking, and the better pedals mean I can brake at those limits without worrying that my hardware is limiting my stopping power. I only played for a couple of hours but I've already noticed that I'm faster than before in the Open Wheel Challenge and Megane cars and much more consistent on GPC '79.

I also had 15 minutes with NR2003, and I seem a bit more consistent there - no idea if I'm faster, because I don't know what laptimes I was running before. The only thing I'm unsure of is the force feedback - I set it on 100% because I couldn't feel much at all on 50%, and the wheel spent much of its time trying to escape my grip. The next time you're hanging some wallpaper, do it with all of your windows and doors open and you'll get an idea of the inputs I was making to keep everything facing the right way; I think I'd benefit from turning the strength down a bit.

I've not really been able to find any real fault with it so far. Sometimes the paddles don't register a downshift if you haven't quite fully released the paddle from your previous shift, but the paddle travel is short so it should be fairly easy to avoid that with practice. The 6-speed shift sometimes gives you neutral too, since it'll jump straight out of gear if you're not quite precise and forceful with the gearchange, but again that should get better with a bit of practice.

Edit: I'll grab that RACE 2007 demo tomorrow too. I was looking forward to the first RACE game a year or so back, but after reading of Don's problems with it just after launch I never did play it.

pigpen81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pigpen81 »

Don, I see EBGames has Race for $19.99.

If so, that sounds sweet.

Can't wait for impressions.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

pigpen81 wrote:Don, I see EBGames has Race for $19.99.

If so, that sounds sweet.

Can't wait for impressions.
Thanks i'll buy it at that price. I just hope it doesn't use "STEAM" for it's copy protection. If it does i'll wait till it's cracked.