Racing Sim Thread, Part II

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

AcemanPR
Starting 5
Starting 5

Re: Racing Sim Thread, Part II

Post by AcemanPR »

Anyone that hasn't played WRC9 and has a Series X, you can play it for free this week. Highly recommended!

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

AcemanPR wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:05 pm
Anyone that hasn't played WRC9 and has a Series X, you can play it for free this week. Highly recommended!
It's free for all Xbox owners this weekend, even someone still rocking an OG Xbox One like me. I grabbed it!
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Tried WRC 9 for the first time last night as part of the Free Play weekend with Xbox Live.

Early impressions. A much-improved game over WRC 8. Better physics. Better graphics. So cool to drive with real WRC drivers and cars and on real WRC stages.

But ... the physics and friction model of WRC 9 still can't compete with DIRT Rally 2.0, at least on loose surfaces. I know WRC 8 already was better on tarmac than DIRT Rally 2.0, as the pavement driving model of that series on non-rallycross asphalt always has been an Achilles' heel.

Still torn, though, as I love the idea of running a full season or career with a true WRC license despite the inferior physics. DIRT Rally 2.0's career mode is abysmal and stupid.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Fanatec announced a direct-drive PC and Xbox sim racing wheel for $350. It's just the drive assembly and I don't think includes the wheel, but any Fanatec wheel will work.

Wow, that will be quite a bargain for that level of technology if it's good, and Fanatec usually produces quality gear:

https://www.teamvvv.com/news/fanatec-bl ... he-csl-dd/

No compatibility for PS5.

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

A bombshell product announcement, for sure. I got a CSL Elite last year and it has been such a big upgrade over my old Logitech set-up, would have been amazing to go straight to a direct drive at that price point instead. I'm assuming we'll see a mid-range released next to replace the high-end belt drive line and Fanatec will be 100% DD moving forward.

Their April Fools reveal was pretty clever, too.

This definitely makes Thrustmaster's higher-end line irrelevant and overpriced.

Anyone have any recommendations for a cockpit in the $400ish range? I'm looking at GT Omega ART and GTR GTA now, but need to make sure they'll fit in the small place I have. The six (maybe more?) year old Playseat Challenge is starting to flex and move around more than I'd like.
xbl/psn tag: dave2eleven

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

Dave wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:08 pm
.............Anyone have any recommendations for a cockpit in the $400ish range? I'm looking at GT Omega ART and GTR GTA now, but need to make sure they'll fit in the small place I have. The six (maybe more?) year old Playseat Challenge is starting to flex and move around more than I'd like.
I have been reading/watching reviews and comparing different 'off the shelf" vs. DIY options for a cockpit setup for the last several months, and also in the same $400 price point. What I have discovered is that for what I need/want for my existing wheel/pedal and triple monitor setup, I just can't get it all for $400. My goals (based particularly on my wife's specifications), were to have something that was easily broken down and hidden, with as little additional cost as possible. After 25 years she knows how these sim racing/PC projects can go. I will post the break down of my current setup/specs when I am home. However, I am still open to any advice/ideas as to best bang for buck, upgradeability, etc. the 80/20 route initially seemed the best way to go for that, but I am not handy at all, so I have not made that leap yet either.

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

Dave wrote:
The six (maybe more?) year old Playseat Challenge is starting to flex and move around more than I'd like.
No recommendation, I'm afraid, but I do have a question: how have you found the Playseat Challenge with a CSL Elite? I'm still rocking my G29 + TV tray + dining chair set-up and am hoping to upgrade in the near future. A CSL Elite was the plan, which I suppose has just gone out of the window with this week's announcement, and since I have no space for a fixed cockpit, something along the lines of a Playseat Challenge would be what I'd need to look at to go with it. My primary concerns are how well it copes with a reasonably powerful motor and how well it would deal with about 260 pounds of Englishman.
XBox Live and PSN Gamertag: theycallhimsim

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

I'm only 165 pounds (increasing weekly!) of American, so can't say for the fit but I don't feel particularly tight in the cockpit. And due to a request from the wife for monitor placement, it is situated in a way that makes me get in and out like a 1991 AJ Foyt Special Lola and I haven't injured myself yet. I can't complain about the placement, the damn thing is right in the living room so I'm able to race more often.

It handles the wheel base well, there's some flex but I think it won't have a problem with the CSL Direct Drive either at the 5nm of torque level. Not sure about going above that with the add-on to 8nm torque. The load cell pedals are the bigger problem and one reason I'm looking to upgrade. The pedal plate keeps positioning itself at an odd angle and has a little movement in it, which exacerbates my biggest weakness (poor to non-existent trail braking).

Woot has the Playseat Evolution for a killer price, but I've been told to avoid it due to flex and the center post. 80/20 is probably the right answer but I'm not looking for a project, I'm looking for a cockpit to use with the limited time I have.

I'm leaning towards the GTR GTA seat, looks like I can keep it under the 53" needed to keep the entertainment center in the right place. If I decide to save for a while longer (or sell a couple more things in this ridiculous market for video games and systems) then the GT Omega Titan could fit too...maybe.

One last thing - anyone interested in joining up with me and some other IndyCar dorks for a bi-weekly USF2000 leagues should drop me a DM. We race on Thursday nights and it has been a blessing for my iRacing journey after burning out on official races. There are a few really fast guys and a blob of us in the 4-10 spots all within a few tenths.

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by F308GTB »

DChaps wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:23 pm
Dave wrote:
.............Anyone have any recommendations for a cockpit in the $400ish range? I'm looking at GT Omega ART and GTR GTA now, but need to make sure they'll fit in the small place I have. The six (maybe more?) year old Playseat Challenge is starting to flex and move around more than I'd like.
I have been reading/watching reviews and comparing different 'off the shelf" vs. DIY options for a cockpit setup for the last several months, and also in the same $400 price point. What I have discovered is that for what I need/want for my existing wheel/pedal and triple monitor setup, I just can't get it all for $400. My goals (based particularly on my wife's specifications), were to have something that was easily broken down and hidden, with as little additional cost as possible. After 25 years she knows how these sim racing/PC projects can go. I will post the break down of my current setup/specs when I am home. However, I am still open to any advice/ideas as to best bang for buck, upgradeability, etc. the 80/20 route initially seemed the best way to go for that, but I am not handy at all, so I have not made that leap yet either.
Broken down and hidden will be a challenge. I have a Next Level Racing wheel stand myself, and while it folds up it is still massive. I just use my office chair with it, and since I use VR no worries about triple monitors. When I do race on a non-VR title it is a pain to move crap around to play on the 34 inch ultrawide. For the stand itself? It is rock solid.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

I could talk about this stuff all day, but for $400 you're kind of in no-man's land.

Sim-Lab just unveiled a wheelstand that could definitely work:

https://sim-lab.eu/shop/product/ws-pro- ... #attr=1075

You could rig up any sort of seat to the unit (I know guys that literally tied a kitchen chair to the rig to prevent movement of the base or pedal flex).

My rig dominates an entire room so I haven't really thought about size or price constraints, but I've got a few buddies who actually own simrig companies (Pro SimRig in particular).

I know Shaun at the SimPit literally just put out a video on how to build a DIY rig for under $100, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pF0_z_-a5w

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Dave wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:56 pm
One last thing - anyone interested in joining up with me and some other IndyCar dorks for a bi-weekly USF2000 leagues should drop me a DM. We race on Thursday nights and it has been a blessing for my iRacing journey after burning out on official races. There are a few really fast guys and a blob of us in the 4-10 spots all within a few tenths.
Definitely interested. Haven't driven the USF2000 but a handful of times, but I'm racing just about anything lately.

My team just pulled off a top-split double. Won the 24 Hours of Nurburging in Top Split for both GT3 and TCR class (I was in the TCR).

I'd love to check out some open wheel stuff.

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

That Sim Lab stand looks interesting, need to figure out the total length with the optional add-on for a seat.

Might just make sense to wait a while and save up to get into the $600 range, too.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Yeah there are a few options if you go a couple hundred bucks more. The need to collapse/hide it makes it difficult, though. Something like the Trak Racer TR80 would be good for a dedicated rig, but I actually completely forgot about this 'budget' rig that is like $270. The ergonomics aren't great, but you can break it down into pieces or put it on its end to get it out of the way:

https://spectreform.com/products/simulator-chair

Maybe that's a good option for an entry-level rig? I saw a few videos about it and it's solid, just not anything I'd be replacing my Sim-Lab P1X with :lol:

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

Fortunately I don't need to put mine away/break it down, just have a smaller area available if I want to keep it permanently set up and a lot are just a few inches too long. The GT Omega Titan is one that could be worth saving up for, it's relatively short.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

In that case, any 8020 rig would be far and away the best choice, IMO. You never need an upgrade as they can handle load cell or hydraulic pedals, regular or DD wheelbases--everything can move around to fit as your needs change.

I've got my rig mounted up with the DD2, hydraulic brakes, a shifter and handbrake upright--but also the Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS bolted on for flight sims, with a separate deck that slides in for rudder pedals. Seat slider moves, pedal slider moves. The thing is a work of art :lol:

The only drawback to something like the GT Omega Titan is you get exactly what they give you. You're not gonna keep tinkering or adding onto it, but different strokes and all!

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

British GT DLC pack released today for Asseto Corsa Competizione, which has the best driving model of any console racer I've played. Include liveries and cars from the series, plus three great British tracks -- Donington Park, Oulton Park and Snetterton.

A must-buy for me!

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

An 8020 rig is definitely the buy once, cry once option. Something to consider, the Playseat is fine for now and it isn't like that's what is keeping me from the top of the charts!

Unrelated to rigs, iRacing, and the like...

I picked up Monster Energy Supercross 4 after accidentally leaving the second one in an Xbox I sold a while back. Should have saved my money and just re-purchased 2, I'm finding the AI to be the bad combination of idiotic results with terrible on-track behavior. Once you get mid-pack or further back it turns into a destruction derby and even on the lower difficulty levels the AI is quick enough to get you to the mid-pack with one mistake.

Here are the 450 heat results from one race, first through fifth and a couple notables. I turned it off out of frustration soon thereafter

Austin Politelli
Cooper Webb
Vince Friese
Martin Davalos
Kyle Cunningham

Heading with me to the LCQ
(12) Ken Roczen
(13) Jason Anderson

Cool.

WPatrick
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by WPatrick »

Terry, I’m watching the Pitstop Live and your name keeps coming up. Congrats on destroying the competition with 3 wins in a row!

fanatic2
Mario Mendoza

Post by fanatic2 »

Hey guys - haven't posted in a while (fanatic without a "2" was original and now unusable name). Hope you are all keeping safe by playing as many games as possible.

Just discovered that TT Isle of Man 2 received a PS5 patch about a month ago. 1440p and 60FPS

I had only played the first game, and since it is now on sale for about $25 (Canadian) on the PSN store I thought I'd try it.

I was expecting to jump into this one and still have my fairly decent skills - NOPE! I like how leaning the rider is much more emphasized this time around. More fun in a physics/realistic sort of way. Looking forward to learning the nuances. If anyone has some recommendations for camera and gameplay settings, that would be awesome. Sort of overwhelmed with choices at the moment :)

I will say that the PS5 patch means some really really smooth racing. I've actually pulled the camera back to the "chase cam" just so I can enjoy the scenery and smoothness a bit more. Seems less immersive compared to the helmet cam, but seeing my rider will help me understand how far he's actually leaning into turns, etc...
Last edited by fanatic2 on Mon May 03, 2021 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

fanatic2
Mario Mendoza

Post by fanatic2 »

deleted

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

WPatrick wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:05 pm
Terry, I’m watching the Pitstop Live and your name keeps coming up. Congrats on destroying the competition with 3 wins in a row!
LOL thanks man. Just wait until the this week's edition comes up! :lol:

I've spent the past year or so doing tons of classes and stuff with Scott Mansell and Driver61...picked me up a TON of pace, as I really knew a lot about ovals but never really dedicated myself to road racing until the end of 2019, really.

Any official I seem to race in the evenings now, I'm squaring off with 7K, 6K, and 5K guys. I keep placing well, but not really in any danger of winning. Then I get into league races against "normal" dudes and it's a much different affair lol.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Assetto Corsa Competizione is $19.99 this week for Xbox on Microsoft store. Best driving and racing model of any console game I've played. It will be welded to my hard drive until it's no longer compatible with my current machine.

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

Just saw that iRacing is offering new members to get one year of iRacing for only $20.22!

The regular price is $110/year and they have been running a special of 40% off for $66.00/year so this is a pretty good deal. Below is everything you would get for this price.
LAST CHANCE! Our special sign up offer ends tonight!

New members can use the promo code:
PR-2022NEXTGEN at http://iRacing.com/membership to get one year of iRacing for only $20.22!

https://twitter.com/iRacing/status/1392544128723001345

https://www.iracing.com/membership/

16 Cars Available for Free
The following cars are included for free with your iRacing membership. These cars will make up the early stages of your racing career. All of the cars required for your rookie class races are free!

https://www.iracing.com/cars-type/free/
Lucas Oil Off-Road Pro 2 Lite Truck - Dirt
UMP Modified - Dirt
VW Beetle - Dirt
Dirt Legends Ford ’34 Coupe
Dirt Street Stock
Global Mazda MX-5 Cup (AI Available)
Dallara DW12 Indycar
Kia Optima (AI available)
NASCAR Truck Series Chevrolet Silverado – Circa 2013
Cadillac CTS-V
Volkswagen Jetta TDi (AI Available)
Radical SR8 V8
Legends Ford ’34 Coupe
SCCA Spec Racer Ford (AI Available)
Pontiac Solstice Club Sport
JR Motorsports Street Stock

22 Tracks With 70 Unique Configurations Available for Free!
The following tracks are included for free with your iRacing membership. These tracks will make up the early stages of your racing career. All of the tracks required for your rookie class races are free!

https://www.iracing.com/tracks-type/free/
Lime Rock Park (AI Available)
Tsukuba Circuit (AI Available)
Charlotte Motor Speedway (AI Available)
Limaland Motorsports Park
Lanier National Speedway – Dirt
USA International Speedway – Dirt
Southern National Motorsports Park
Daytona International Speedway – 2008
Oran Park Raceway
Thompson Speedway Motorsports Park
Charlotte Motor Speedway – 2008
South Boston Speedway
Oulton Park Circuit
WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca (AI Available)
Okayama International Circuit (AI Available)
Phoenix Raceway – 2008
Concord Speedway
Oxford Plains Speedway
Lanier National Speedway
USA International Speedway (AI Available)
Lime Rock Park – 2008
Summit Point Raceway (AI Available)
Centripetal Circuit
Langley Speedway

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

If you want one of the biggest thrills -- and challenges -- in console racing games, Isle of Man TT 2 is free this weekend with Xbox Games with Gold.

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

One I maybe should have seen coming but didn't: there's a Superstar Racing Experience game coming next week. XB1, PS4 and Steam versions for $39.99 via Monster Games:

https://youtu.be/3vI1DIQWFkM
XBox Live and PSN Gamertag: theycallhimsim