Racing Sim Thread, Part II

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Racing Sim Thread, Part II

Post by GB_Simo »

I have no idea whether I'd be faster in Terry's rig than I am with my existing setup. I'd be willing to spend some time finding out, though.

An entirely immersive experience, particularly during those sections on Dirt Rally 2.0 that start with a 4 right tightens, 3 left slight cut maybe into DAD WATCH ME DANCE.

Would any of you fine folk have a recommendation for a decent mid-range PC or laptop, enough to run newer sims at a reasonable lick without costing the world? Mine has recently given up on computing as a hobby and I'm writing up whether or not to bother replacing it.

Edit: not writing up, because that doesn't make sense. Working out.
XBox Live and PSN Gamertag: theycallhimsim

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

I have a Lenovo Legion Y545 that runs iRacing swimmingly but I haven't tried any other sims on it. Recently purchased Assetto Corsa and assume it will run well, the computer's specs seemed to be solid for the budget.

The final Indycar iRacing event sure seemed like it devolved into a sh*t show.
xbl/psn tag: dave2eleven

WPatrick
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by WPatrick »

GT Sports weekly race is Super Formula at Laguna Seca this week. Open wheel racing on this track is fun!

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

There is something about GT Sport that I'm not quite clicking with. I've never had a proper feel for the brakes, so with a pad, I can lock the front wheels simply by thinking about slowing down. With pedals I'm better at that, but the force feedback isn't telling me enough through a G29 for me to understand how my car is behaving. There's a lightness, almost a floatiness, to it. I'll keep trying, because I'm quite content with the iRacing-lite feel of things and there's enough content now to occupy me for several lifetimes.

Dave, thanks for the response - I'll check the Lenovo out. The old rig, now a new paperweight, was 7 years old and wasn't top of the range when I specced it, so I'm hoping I won't need to go nuts to get an improved experience.

Meanwhile...there are stock cars from the late 1980s on their way to a Papyrus racing sim. Montoya is at the helm of VirtualR. As I rise from the couch to check my calendar and see what year it is, my DeLorean ticks itself cool outside:

https://twitter.com/iRacing/status/1259 ... 04929?s=09

https://www.virtualr.net/new-beginning-old-management

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

Thanks for the update Adam. That is awesome. I take a technology free weekend and I miss all sorts of good stuff. Great to see virtualR/Montoya back in the sim racing world. By the way, for awhile I had that exact same setup as you. I swear the same TV Tray, but I had a Logitech G27 attached to it. :)

Man, mid 80's is when I really got into Nascar. My Dad introduced me to Pearson, Petty, Allison's, Yarborough, etc as a little kid, but in the mid to late 80's watching the #9 vs the #3 was when I really started following it regularly. Listening to/watching Nascar with Bob Jenkins, Ned Jarrett, Ken Squier, Benny Parsons, Eli Gold, Jerry Punch. Those were the days. I was a big Bill Elliot fan at the time and so not so much a fan of the #3, but over time that almost reversed by the end of their careers. I didn't really drink much in college, but when I did it was Coors because of the #9. Geesh, that is a little embarrassing now. Ha, Motorsports marketing works! Can't wait to try out the track and these cars. Now we just need some 1980s or 1990s Indycars and bring back Nazareth Speedway! :)

PS - How awesome is Dale Jr!

iRacing - North Wilkesboro Speedway - Now Available!

Very Cool iRacintg North Wilkesboro Speedway Trailer Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAiwix0Y6AY&t=14s

Dale Jr Documentary: Bringing Back North Wilkesboro in iRacing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNAyO19oIz0&t=600s

Highlights eNASCAR Pro Invitational at North Wilkesboro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1dPzrW0i_c

Highlights from Dale Earnhardt Jr.'s Team Channel from Virtual North Wilkesboro Raceway
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyhBsKyStjE&t=339s
https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/ ... on.183670/

A great time to be a fan of historic Nascar competition and an iRacing user, as the service have today released the classic North Wilkesboro Speedway, as well as confirming '87 Cup Cars will be added to the simulation soon.

Yes, although the track has been in something of a state of disrepair in recent years, the iRacing team have nevertheless taken their laser scanning equipment to the former Winston Cup venue, doing a marvelous job of recreating the venue in all of its former glory.

As well as the historic oval, iRacing have also confirmed the 1987 issue Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS and Ford Thunderbird will also be added to the simulation in the very near future, giving fans some period content to race on the new venue.

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

Xbox One Racing Games Sales

There are a ton of good racing games on sale on Xbox One until May 18th, including TT Isle of Man Ride on the Edge 2 for $40.19 USD
Actually, there are a ton of good games in general on sale (see link below). Here is a list of most of the racing games on sale, but there are even more than this.

https://majornelson.com/2020/05/11/this ... er-sale-4/

Assetto Corsa - 75%
Assetto Corsa Ultimate Edition - 75%
Assetto Corsa – DLC Season Pass - 40%
Assetto Corsa – Ferrari 70th Anniversary DLC - 40%
DiRT Rally 2.0 - 70%
DiRT Rally 2.0 – Game of the Year Edition - 60%
Forza Horizon 4 Standard Edition - 30%
Forza Horizon 4 Ultimate Add-Ons Bundle Add-On - 50%
Forza Horizon 4 Ultimate Edition - 30%
Forza Motorsport 7 Deluxe Edition - 30%
Forza Motorsport 7 Standard Editio - 30%
Forza Motorsport 7 Ultimate Edition - 30%
Monster Energy Supercross 3 – Season Pass - 40%
Monster Energy Supercross 3 – Special Edition - 40%
Monster Energy Supercross 3 - 40%
Project CARS 2 - 75%
Project CARS 2 – Deluxe Edition - 75%
Project CARS 2 – Season Pass - 50%
TT Isle of Man Ride on the Edge 2 - 33%
WRC 8 Deluxe Edition - 60%
WRC 8 - 60%

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Cannot recommend TT Isle of Man: Ride on the Edge 2 more highly if you're a bike racing fan. It's the Dark Souls of racing games -- so challenging yet so fun.

I'm so close to pulling the trigger on a niche racing title on sale this week -- Car Mechanic Simulator! I love cars, have fantasized about fixing them up but don't know a damn thing about that skill. Figured this game -- which has received good reviews -- would feed the fantasy and teach me something.

Anyone here play it? Feedback?
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

New gameplay video for F1 2020 released. Damn, this game looks gorgeous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L11CCmAquQc
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

AcemanPR
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by AcemanPR »

I'm really impressed with what Codies has done with the F1 series!

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

Thirty Years of Sim Racing

......and I'm still not very good! :)

This month marks the 50th anniversary of the start of my passion for motorsports, as well as the 30th anniversary of the start of my racing sim "hobby"/addiction.

During the month of May in 1970, my father took me to a couple of the Indy 500 practice sessions so that I could see my favorite car/driver, the #2 Johnny Lightning Special driven by Al Unser. I remember "feeling" the sound and speed of the cars as they flashed passed and have been into on all types of racing ever since. For 50 years, every Memorial Day weekend I have always either listened to, watched, or attended the Indy 500.

In May of 1990, I was graduating from the University of Georgia with a degree in Management Information Systems and about to start my first job as a dBASE programmer. I had been into computer gaming since high school and had just purchased Electronic Arts/Papyrus Indianapolis 500: The Simulation by David Kaemmer (now of iRacing fame). While it seems simple and crude now, I will never forget how blown away I was the first time coming down the front stretch at Indy, 3 wide as the green flag flew. I thought, this is so cool to finally get to experience what it is like to race the Indy 500. I was hooked and blew several of my first paychecks purchasing a Roland LAPC-I soundcard and a joystick card/joystick so that I could race the game with the best sound possible, and not having to race with a keyboard. The game was so hard that I never came close to completing the 500 mile race without a crash or mechanical failure. The best I think I ever did was winning a 30 lap option where you were allowed to have damage off. Thirty years later and countless $$$ and hours spent on PC upgrades, graphic cards, steering wheels, VR headsets, etc., I still have yet to win or even complete a virtual Indy 500 mile race!

Since there is no real life Indy 500 today, I am attempting to at least complete the iRacing, C Class, Fixed Setup, 60 lap race using a beautiful 1990 Arie Luyendyk Dominoes livery by by Douglas Ellison as tribute to his first 500 win 30 years ago.

I hope everyone has a great Memorial Day Weekend!

Indianapolis 500: The Simulation Overview by Tim Wheatley of RaceSim Central
https://racesimcentral.net/indianapolis ... imulation/
This is the title that finally tore a rift between racing game and racing simulation, with magazine reviewers suggesting that anyone who couldn’t handle it stick to less realistic software. While there had been other software which attempted to give a realistic gameplay experience, with Indy 500 the player found themselves locked to first-person (cockpit view) and forced to adjust the standard car setup in order to compete for wins.

The game also forced players to qualify with damage on, meaning that while a slight brush with the wall could be ignored, any significant impact resulted in a disabled car. Players had to complete the four-lap qualifying session at near-perfect levels in order to qualify with an average speed high enough for the front row. To this day it is still one of the few situations in any software where a player can feel genuine pressure to perform. Skipped qualifying always resulted in a 33rd-place starting position.

Players had the option to run a 10-lap sprint race without damage or yellow flags, a 30-lap race without damage, or challenge themselves to a 60 or 200-lap race where a single mistake could end it all. Many people experienced the horror of losing hours of gameplay and desperately trying to drive a crippled car back to the pits for repairs.

Bad driving and setup also had an impact, as you could blow the engine and tires could overheat, forcing cars to drift into the wall exiting turns two and four, or to retire from the race. By all standards, Indy 500 was one of the first racing titles to offer players this depth of difficulty.

After any major event a player could choose to view a 20-second replay from five different angles, all of them locked to the player car. An additional leader and crash camera was available at trackside which was useful for placing and avoiding wrecked cars, or seeing how close you were to being lapped!
Computer Gaming World magazine May 1990 review of Indianapolis 500: The Simulation
http://www.cgwmuseum.org/galleries/issues/cgw_71.pdf
http://www.cgwmuseum.org/galleries/inde ... ub=2&id=71
Any serious attempt to master Indy 500 will require a great deal of practice—perhaps, also a little madness. Each suspension change requires many laps of testing and each complete set-up means hours of (re-)learning how to drive smoothly. Only the most dedicated and determined players will ever win a race (Of course, this is the way it is in real life, too . . . ). This means that Indy 500 is not for everyone. (Charles, you can come outnow!) For gamers who might actually be interested in racing some day, it offers invaluable experience; for die-hard simulation nuts, it offers a truly in-depth portrait of its subject; but for casual gamers it can offer headaches and heartache and hair-pulling frustration. Keep this in mind, readers—you know who you are.
Arie Luyendyk 1990 Dallara IR18 by Douglas Ellison
https://www.tradingpaints.com/showroom/ ... endyk-1990

1970 Indy 500 Front Row - AJ Foyt, Johnny Rutherford, Al Unser

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Unreal to see how close fans were allowed to stand by the fence 50 years ago. And the Johnny Lightning Special -- what a car.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Well I decided to try/buy MotoGP 20 against my better judgement being disappointed so many times in the past. I gotta say i'm pleasantly surprised. Milestone has listened to the criticism and upped their game. My impressions are after 30 min of playtime which is how i've judged their games in the past.

It's a pretty damn good MotoGP game this years version. Starting with the presentation, as good as Codemasters has become with their Formula One games, MotoGP 20 takes it up a few notches. The presentation has the look and feel of a Live telecast as you watch the riders in the garage sitting down then getting up and kneeling besides their bike giving it a once over. The broadcast presentation is a little flat, you only hear the TV crew pre-race and post race results.

One of my biggest complaints was the game performance and the last version I tried was MotoGP 18 before I gave up. It was stutter city and turning on all the bells and whistles made the game look like it was smeared with Vaseline. MotoGP 20 still uses the UE4 engine and this time the game has been optimized. I have my settings at HIGH with only motion blur turned off (personal preference) I don't like motion blur in any racing game. The game with 22 riders and starting the race at the back of the field runs at 60FPS on my 7 yr old rig with a GTX 780 videocard. I couldn't get that with MotoGP 16/17/18. It was a choppy stuttering mess.

The sound of the bikes sound pretty badass and the game maybe using doppler sound. It's a pretty slick audio effect.

The animations of the riders is top notch but i'm basing that while using The Doctor and watching him use his legs like a kickstand around sharp corners. Where the real improvement has come is with the handling of the bikes, they seem to have a certain weight to them which requires you to setup your entry corners properly if not your off the track.

The AI in this years game is pretty decent as well. My first race was on easy, I started at the back of the field and I had two crashes and ended the race in 18th. The AI was changing positions during the race. I was looking to see if the AI was brain dead and on easy they were what you would expect, you could pass them if you caught them but it wasn't predictable.

Another nice feature in this years game is tire mgmt and it really makes a difference and if you set the camera to 3rd person view you can watch the rear tire slip and slide as the rear tire goes away. There is also a HUD display that lets you see tire wear. I ran a 6 lap race and as my rear tire was at 75% you could see the rear of the bike start to slide a little if you pushed to hard in a corner.

My real disappointment is the cockpit cam. It's better where you can actually use it although for better lap times it's better to use the outside camera. It's not as functional as the Isle of Man cockpit and helmet camera where it's very immersive using that camera.

But the real takeaway is that MotoGP 20 is a massive improvement from at least MotoGP 18. I never tried MotoGP 19 as I had no interest after buying last years TT Isle of Man.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

New British Touring Car Championship game coming in 2021 or 2022. The ghost of the original TOCA lives!

https://www.teamvvv.com/news/british-to ... 2021-2022/

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Interesting observations, Rod.

MotoGP 19 was piss-poor. The bikes didn't brake or turn for sh*t. These are prototype bikes -- two-wheeled versions of F1 cars. And MGP 19's bikes handled like dump trucks or riding mowers.

You're a brave man: No way I'm taking a chance on a Milestone MotoGP game at full price. Glad you're enjoying it, though.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

pk500 wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 1:17 pm
Interesting observations, Rod.

MotoGP 19 was piss-poor. The bikes didn't brake or turn for sh*t. These are prototype bikes -- two-wheeled versions of F1 cars. And MGP 19's bikes handled like dump trucks or riding mowers.

You're a brave man: No way I'm taking a chance on a Milestone MotoGP game at full price. Glad you're enjoying it, though.
I haven't decided if I'm going to keep it. I may get a refund and wait for the mega sale and a $19.99 price point. What this game lacks is the high speed thrill and rush of TT Isle of Man. After playing TT Isle of Man it's tough to go back to a game that doesn't have the same sense of speed and even though the cockpit view is "better" in MotoGP 20, it's nowhere as realistic as the cockpit view in TT IOM.

What's interesting is reading the Steam reviews which quite a few are calling the physics model and bike handling in MotoGP 20 "arcadey".

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Isle of Man TT has ruined most other bike games for me, too. Ride 2 isn't bad, although it lacks the sense of speed, feel of traction and all-around visceral feel of IOM.

I bought MXGP Pro on sale this week for $12. That is a VERY good motocross game. Milestone finally got motocross right with this game. It's as arcade or sim as you want to make it. Very fun.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

GREAT news: Codemasters has secured the WRC license, starting in 2023. I know Milestone had improved the WRC series, but it still wasn't as good as DIRT Rally.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020 ... rc-licence

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

pk500 wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:20 pm
GREAT news: Codemasters has secured the WRC license, starting in 2023. I know Milestone had improved the WRC series, but it still wasn't as good as DIRT Rally.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020 ... rc-licence
Great news indeed ! Codemasters is one of the best developers for racing games.

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

Great news if it doesn't kill off the Kylotonn games. There are a number of aspects - I'll give you stage design and Tarmac physics for starters - in which WRC8 is flat-out better than DIRT Rally 2.0.

The market can clearly sustain a DIRT game and an official WRC game. Whether it can sustain an official game and a Brand A.N.Other effort from a developer whose profile is such that even a dedicated sim racer just called them Milestone by mistake, I'm not so sure.

On a Codies-related note, I bought GRID in that XBox sale a couple of weeks ago. I'd previously dismissed it on the back of a brief run with the PS4 trial version, but for 15 quid I thought it was worth examining again and it's turning out to be the absolute mutt's nuts. It's not exactly sim racing's last stand, but has a handling model similar in concept to Driver: San Francisco - you can hoon around sliding all over the place and do alright, but add a bit of finesse to your inputs and suddenly there's a defined limit, a definite edge of adhesion that you can run at consistently and predictably against some punchy, alert AI. A very pleasant surprise.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

GB_Simo wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:18 pm
On a Codies-related note, I bought GRID in that XBox sale a couple of weeks ago. I'd previously dismissed it on the back of a brief run with the PS4 trial version, but for 15 quid I thought it was worth examining again and it's turning out to be the absolute mutt's nuts. It's not exactly sim racing's last stand, but has a handling model similar in concept to Driver: San Francisco - you can hoon around sliding all over the place and do alright, but add a bit of finesse to your inputs and suddenly there's a defined limit, a definite edge of adhesion that you can run at consistently and predictably against some punchy, alert AI. A very pleasant surprise.
Dang if you didn't convince me to give it another try GB_Simo!? I did the trial weekend, or whatever kind of trial they offered way back when and found it to be a bit "Wreckfesty". I hear they've also added private multiplayer lobbies now and that's another positive factor to consider for me.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Yeah, I was waiting for a sale on Steam at the same time it was on sale (Ultimate Edition) on the Xbox Store for under $16. Too good of a deal to pass up. It doesn't look as nice on a OG XONE but whenever I get a Series X, the graphics should be as good as playing it on a high end PC.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Rodster wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:38 pm
Yeah, I was waiting for a sale on Steam at the same time it was on sale (Ultimate Edition) on the Xbox Store for under $16. Too good of a deal to pass up. It doesn't look as nice on a OG XONE but whenever I get a Series X, the graphics should be as good as playing it on a high end PC.
I've got an XBox One X and I got to admit, the graphics looked fantastic. I like multiplayer online and it was just a demolition derby most of time I spent with it during the trial. I might be able to find some sensible racing with private lobbies. I'll be downloading that here tonight.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Sorry, can't share the enthusiasm for GRID. I've downloaded the trial twice and was not moved to even think of a purchase, as Forza Horizon scratches the simcade itch with FAR more depth and fun. Glad you cats are enjoying it.

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

The trial is silly. I've no idea why they showcased an oval event - I've been playing for about 15 hours and I haven't raced a single one. The cars have assists on too, which aren't needed and actively get in the way of your enjoyment. Odd decision after odd decision, and since I didn't enjoy the trial either, I won't be faulting anyone else for feeling that way.

Nor will I be faulting anyone who feels a bit confused by this:

https://youtu.be/BNh3klfx2Rk

This is Project Cars 3. It arrives this summer and as far as I can see, it's a lot like Need For Speed: Shift. If you'd told me it was Project Gotham I'd probably have believed you. It doesn't look bad. It's not quite what I would have expected, though..

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

GB_Simo wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:44 pm
Nor will I be faulting anyone who feels a bit confused by this:

https://youtu.be/BNh3klfx2Rk

This is Project Cars 3. It arrives this summer and as far as I can see, it's a lot like Need For Speed: Shift. If you'd told me it was Project Gotham I'd probably have believed you. It doesn't look bad. It's not quite what I would have expected, though..
Perhaps Codemasters is replacing GRID with a more simcade-ish Project Cars 3 since the Codies bought Slightly Mad Studios, the developers of the PCars series?