Racing Sim Thread, Part II

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Racing Sim Thread, Part II

Post by F308GTB »

Rodster wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:36 am
Had a chance to try Automobilista 2. First the good news, for a 1.00 release this sim has been seriously optimized. I can run 23 cars on HIGH settings and the game doesn't skip a beat, it runs smooth. I can't say the same for Nascar Heat which uses Unity whereas AM2 runs on the Project Cars engine. Keep in mind this sim is running on a GTX 780 and an i5-3570K CPU which is a 7 yr old setup.

More good news, the initial game has a plethora of tracks, and racing disciplines. The handling of the cars on a wireless controller feel as good as any Codemasters racing sim. They are spot on which makes it all the more puzzling why Slightly Mad Studios has such trouble getting a console controller setup wrong.

Racing Marbles! It's the first time I can recall seeing racing marbles off the racing line and cars kicking up marbles. However it had NO impact so these could just be cosmetic.

Where the game takes a step back is the usual and predictable cornering AI. Project Cars and Project Cars 2 nail it on certain tracks where you could actually find a racing rhythm chasing the AI. The AI in PCR and PCR2 would naturally take corners at the proper speeds where you did not have to seriously slow down because they seriously slowed down. Not so in AM2 and the end result is, you can go for the pass, brake late and pass them. Rinse, repeat. On the straights they are fast, fast.

This becomes all too predictable. If they can patch the AI for better cornering speeds this potentially could be the racing sim of the year because of everything you get straight out. They did a lot of things right but for me the cornering AI ruins it.
Personally I am loving the game. The VR performance has been great, and it looks so much better than ACC in VR (still get grainy graphics in ACC, even with good settings and a 1080 Ti). Yes the AI can give up in corners, but most games seem to be afflicted with that. My only significant complaint is current lack of good feel through wheel FFB when the tires lose grip. I am having a blast with the Ginetta G55 as well as the classic F1 cars.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I had a chance to try Nascar Heat 5. What a joke, how could anyone make a Unity game that looks worse than the previous versions? The game looks blurry even if you turn off the graphics settings. This latest version in its current form is worth no more than $19.95 and that’s if they throw in a Chase Elliot Bobblehead doll.

The cars seem to have an unnatural grip. Stutters are still present.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

MXGP Pro, the best motocross game I've played since Supercross Circuit in the late 90s on the original PlayStation, is on sale this week for $10 for Xbox Live Gold members.

Excellent MX game that you can make as sim or arcade as you want. Great fun and challenge right out of the box.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

That's tempting. When I see you hailing a Milestone bike game, I know either that it must be very good indeed or that someone's hacked your account.
XBox Live and PSN Gamertag: theycallhimsim

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

GB_Simo wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:49 pm
That's tempting. When I see you hailing a Milestone bike game, I know either that it must be very good indeed or that someone's hacked your account.
It's very good. After what, three mainly middling versions of MXGP, I think Milestone finally got this one right.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

pk500 wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:35 am
GB_Simo wrote:
It's very good. After what, three mainly middling versions of MXGP, I think Milestone finally got this one right.
Have you played the newer version, 19? Any difference besides updating of the teams/season?

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:18 pm
pk500 wrote:
GB_Simo wrote:
Have you played the newer version, 19? Any difference besides updating of the teams/season?
No, I have not. But Pro wasn't really the successor to MXGP 3. It was marketed as a more hardcore motocross simulator. I played MXGP 2 and 3. They were fun, but the arcadish nature of the handling and terrain model made the game age quickly. It wasn't the insane arcade fun of Motocross Madness, but it wasn't a sim, either. Both games became a bit of a middling borefest after a while.

MXGP Pro has more realistic physics and terrain details. The riding model is more challenging out of the box -- you will fall often and hard. But the game is glorious when you come to grips with the tougher handling model and get into a groove. Plus there are options to adjust to make the handling a bit easier or savagely tough. I'm really enjoying it right out of the box.

Not sure if MXGP 2019 is more of a successor to MXGP 3 or MXGP Pro. But I'm digging Pro and have zero interest in MXGP 2019.

Pro is $10 this week for Xbox Live Gold members. I think it's a true steal at that price if you have any interest in motocross. I don't really follow FIM World Motocross -- or AMA Supercross or Motocross, for that matter -- so out-of-date teams and riders don't matter to me.

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:18 pm
pk500 wrote:
GB_Simo wrote:
I just bought 19 in last weeks sale because I had an itch for a bike racing game and only played probably less than an hour, first race the steering felt twitchy, then did a time trial and it felt better the more laps I ran, probably won't play it a lot but felt it was worth the 10 bucks it was on sale for an occasional play.
"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier
https://www.ea.com/games/nhl/nhl-20/pro ... rm=xboxone

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Just to be clear, Vader and DB, you cats are talking about the MXGP motocross series and not the MotoGP road racing series, correct?

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

pk500 wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:45 am
Just to be clear, Vader and DB, you cats are talking about the MXGP motocross series and not the MotoGP road racing series, correct?
Yes, this is the one I bought in last weeks deals with gold sale:

"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier
https://www.ea.com/games/nhl/nhl-20/pro ... rm=xboxone

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Got it! Hope you're enjoying it.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

pk500 wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:45 am
Yes, that's what I was talking about too. 2019 was release a year after Pro...was just wondering if it was the same series - or if Pro was more sim and 2019 was more arcade, as you were alluding to (and admitting to not know, lol). So whatever, I'll prob just grab Pro since it's still on sale and 2019 is back up to 50.

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

PK, some questions on MXGP Pro after exactly one race last night with Pro physics switched on:

- does the track get slower as a race goes on or did I get worse?

- assuming it's the former, is that because of the track deformation? Very cool if so.

- I do not always know why I've fallen off. Do you find there to be any inconsistency in that regard, like you can do the same thing on two consecutive laps but only fall off once, or does experience of the game help with that? Quite prepared for this to be connected to me not knowing how to ride a bike, which I'm guessing would help me here.

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

Man, I'm having more fun with iRacing than any videogame I can remember and today might have been the most enjoyable experience yet.

I'm on pace in the USF2000 at Watkins Glen better and my iRating is bad enough that I'm *really* fast for some lower splits.

First race, put it on pole and lead for 5 laps before lapped traffic lostit in front of me and crossed the track in both directions to wipe me out. I was more upset about that than I should have been, my dogs got a nice walk. At least I set the fastest lap of the race I guess.

Qualified second for race #2 and messed up the bus stop chicane big time on lap one, fell back to fifth and fortunately had 2-3-4 wipe each other out later in the lap. Spent the rest of the race hunting down first and finally made up a 4-second deficit to pass the leader with a couple laps to go and got my first win out of rookies.

That win pushed my iRating up enough that my next split was much stronger. I put a wheel off in qualifying (no second lap at the Glen, track's too long for the 5-minute session) and started near the back. Fought my way up to 4th and was the 3rd fastest car on the track, made up a lot of time but needed more laps to get a shot at the podium, had nothing for first and second. Still such a fun race.
xbl/psn tag: dave2eleven

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

GB_Simo wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:04 pm
PK, some questions on MXGP Pro after exactly one race last night with Pro physics switched on:

- does the track get slower as a race goes on or did I get worse?

- assuming it's the former, is that because of the track deformation? Very cool if so.

- I do not always know why I've fallen off. Do you find there to be any inconsistency in that regard, like you can do the same thing on two consecutive laps but only fall off once, or does experience of the game help with that? Quite prepared for this to be connected to me not knowing how to ride a bike, which I'm guessing would help me here.
Can't really comment, Adam, as I don't think I have Pro physics on. I just played with whatever settings are out of the box.

I think track deformation is a thing. One of the many things I like about this game, even at the default settings, is that I know I'm the reason every time I crash. There aren't any phantom "WTF?" crashes like the first Isle of Man game.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by F308GTB »

For those with the PC version of Assetto Corsa, I can't stress enough how good the free Ferrari 488 Challenge Evo car is. This is a special release from Ferrari to support an upcoming esports series. You have to register at https://www.ferrari.com/en-US/esports/f ... rts-series to get the car. While technically only available to European residents, for we non-euros we can claim we live in our favorite country. A little hint - if you have gmail, use that as it goes through instantly. Had trouble with my non-gmail account.

The car is an absolkute dream to drive. It is really planted, and it takes the curbs really well. It seems to drive the closest thing to "real" based on watching sports car racing,

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

Oops, got too excited to post about the Indy 500 that I put it in the wrong thread.

I am looking forward to running an iRacing C-level IndyCar race at Indy this weekend, it's been a lot of fun figuring out how to navigate traffic to give yourself a shot at a pass. I have a feeling a full field could get crazy if the guy behind you decides to drive like an a-hole since you have to lift prior to the corner to set up a run.

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

I suspect I'm in the wrong thread too, but here's a Project Cars 3 review:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020 ... s-3-review

Martin Robinson raced karts as a kid and is clearly head-over-heels in love with the automobile. Whether that might lead to a certain imbalance in his reviewing, I don't know, but one of his contributions to the comments thread hints at his giving a lot of weight to aspects of the game that you perhaps wouldn't value quite so highly:
As there's no tire wear or fuel usage strategic races aren't really what PCars 3 does. I'm personally loving it just being able to hotlap all the amazing cars around the amazing tracks they've got - it really is incredible what's in here - and mildly enjoying the slightly shonky arcade racer that's bundled in.

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

Project Cars 3's career feels like it's been lifted from Microsoft's series back in its pomp, as you start in a humble roadcar before splashing the cash you earn in short class-based races on upgrades to turn that same car into a tarmac-devouring, race ready beast. Except it feels like it might have also been dropped on the floor in the process....

The menus are an utter shambles, there's at least one too many XP systems, the AI's erratic and there's a scruffiness to it all
Ringing endorsements there...but I understand what he's getting at with how the game can be enjoyable. It's been forever since I've thought about Need for Speed Shift, but it kinda seems like this would be a more authentic, motorsports-focused Shift 3 maybe?

I don't have enough gaming time to pay full price, there's barely enough time to run two official iRacing sessions per week with f1 2020 taking what little time is left on occasion. But I can see this being a nice change-of-pace when you just want to hop in a car and let it rip, especially if the AI can be tweaked to provide a fun experience.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

I'm still a bit gobsmacked to think Slightly Mad has gone the simcade route with PC3 after touting the first two Project Cars' games as a pure sim experience on a console.

There's not a damn thing wrong with good simcade fun -- TOCA 3 and Project Gotham Racing 2 are two of my favorite console titles ever, in any genre. But I'm also still savoring GRID, with some good controller settings I found online.

Wondering out loud if PC3 at $60 will provide that much more fun than GRID for $10, especially with the remastered Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 and 2 on my horizon as an almost must-purchase. Any feedback from cats with experience with PC3 and GRID is appreciated.

Thanks.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

pk500 wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:22 am
Wondering out loud if PC3 at $60 will provide that much more fun than GRID for $10, Any feedback from cats with experience with PC3 and GRID is appreciated.
That's been my comparison of PC3....GRID. Some others have likened it to NFS Shift which Slightly Mad Studios did for EA. If you go by the general opinions of Steam comments the game is arcade. I think for $10 it's unreasonable at this point to say PC3 at $60 is the better buy. Most of the Simcade racers drop in price really fast. All the GRID games tend to drop in price pretty quick.

What puzzles me is why Codemasters allowed SMS to put out a game that can be compared to GRID, I don't get it? What I would have liked to see is for SMS to do a proper TOCA game based on the BTCC. I still have fond memories of the TOCA and TOCA 2 on the original Playstation.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:58 am
What puzzles me is why Codemasters allowed SMS to put out a game that can be compared to GRID, I don't get it? What I would have liked to see is for SMS to do a proper TOCA game based on the BTCC. I still have fond memories of the TOCA and TOCA 2 on the original Playstation.
The BTCC is far too much of a niche series these days to justify a standalone effort from Codemasters. It wouldn't sell that much outside of the UK and nuts like us around the world.

During TOCA's early days in the late 90s, the BTCC probably was the most prominent touring car series in the world. The Super Touring formula was awesome and attracted big manufacturers and even F1 teams like Williams. The cars were hairy, powerful beasts, and there was an impressive roster of driving talent from across Europe.

Current BTCC cars are underpowered grocery getters compared to the Super Touring days. Now, I don't like the DTM because those really aren't touring cars -- they're more like GT cars disguised as touring cars. But the BTCC, while providing fun, argy-bargy racing, isn't a very interesting series from a technical standpoint anymore and has lost global prominence.

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

I have very little interest in Project Cars 3, as Forza Horizon 4 and Forza Motorsport 7 still give me good console fun for simcade with no musss no fuss. That being said, I could see myself break down if good reviews start coming in from people I trust, but I have just too many good racing games (F1 2020, TT Isle of Man 2, Dirt 2, iRacing, Automobilista 2, Assetto Corsa Competizione, etc.) that I have not enough time for as it is. Project Cars 3 just seems like a strange rush job.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

DChaps wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:19 pm
I have very little interest in Project Cars 3, as Forza Horizon 4 and Forza Motorsport 7 still give me good console fun for simcade with no musss no fuss. That being said, I could see myself break down if good reviews start coming in from people I trust, but I have just too many good racing games (F1 2020, TT Isle of Man 2, Dirt 2, iRacing, Automobilista 2, Assetto Corsa Competizione, etc.) that I have not enough time for as it is. Project Cars 3 just seems like a strange rush job.
I can't say if PC3 was a rush job but it was a questionable choice given Codemasters lukewarm reception of their GRID series.