Racing Sim Thread, Part II

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Racing Sim Thread, Part II

Post by pk500 »

I don't trust Milestone for a MotoGP game for more than $20. I paid $13 for MotoGP 19 and feel cheated.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

pk500 wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:05 am
I don't trust Milestone for a MotoGP game for more than $20. I paid $13 for MotoGP 19 and feel cheated.
Agreed, and that's how I also feel about the Nascar Heat series after getting burned with Nascar Heat 2. Even Capcom did a better job with the MotoGP series when our boy Nicky Hayden was on the cover. Milestone, still can't get the cockpit cam right after all these years. Maybe someone needs to send them a copy of EA Sports Superbike 2001 which they were the developer for that series.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Well, I took the plunge and bought GRID for $10 and still feel filthy about it. What a complete pile of dogsh*t.

I've tweaked gameplay settings. Adjusted difficulty and assists. And this game still sucks harder than a brand-new Hoover vacuum. Spiked center axis handling. Ridiculously dumb AI. Unpredictable friction model. Yeah, I know it's an arcade game, but great arcade racing games such as Forza Horizon 4, Project Gotham Racing 2 and Tokyo Xtreme Racer all had predictable, fun, powersliding handling and decent AI.

Won't make this mistake again. I'm sticking with Forza 7 and Forza Horizon 4 to satisfy my sim-cade and arcade racing jones. GRID is a f*cking mess of a game.

I still haven't deleted it from my hard drive yet in hopes maybe someone can school me. Adam, do you mind sharing the assist and steering sensitivity and linearity settings you're using? You say you're finding fun with this game. That amazes me, as our thoughts on racing games usually jive. What am I missing?

Thanks.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

AcemanPR
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by AcemanPR »

I blindly hit the Buy button for GRID for the price. I haven't played a GRID game since GRID 2, figured for a few bucks, it would be good for a few hours of fun. I don't have any experience with it yet, so no impressions and setting suggestions for a couple more days.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

AcemanPR wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:27 pm
I blindly hit the Buy button for GRID for the price. I haven't played a GRID game since GRID 2, figured for a few bucks, it would be good for a few hours of fun. I don't have any experience with it yet, so no impressions and setting suggestions for a couple more days.
Let me know if you discover settings that make this game fun, Ace. I'm flummoxed.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

If anyone is interested here's an interview from two members of the Project Cars 3 team and no PK, Ian is not in the video :lol:

Anywho, here's a video and they go on to explain the reasons behind the development of the game. I like some of their ideas when they go on to explain them them. There's tons of race footage. Just going off first impressions, the graphics look better than in PC and PC2.

https://www.gamespot.com/videos/how-pro ... 0-6453011/

AcemanPR
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by AcemanPR »

pk500 wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:35 pm
AcemanPR wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:27 pm
Let me know if you discover settings that make this game fun, Ace. I'm flummoxed.
I definitely will. I did the initial 3 races and then a career even late last night. I didn't think the cars controlled horribly, but some tweaking does need to happen. I'll try and find the sweetspot and pass the settings on to you when I do.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Thanks, Ace.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I haven't made any settings change. I knew I was playing GRID and approached it that way. The driving to me seems a wee bit tighter than GRID Autosport. In GRID 2 it was powersliding mania. I felt Codies tried to correct that with Autosport and the latest GRID "at least to me" feels pretty similar.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:14 am
I haven't made any settings change. I knew I was playing GRID and approached it that way. The driving to me seems a wee bit tighter than GRID Autosport. In GRID 2 it was powersliding mania. I felt Codies tried to correct that with Autosport and the latest GRID "at least to me" feels pretty similar.
Interesting, Rod. I don't recall GRID 2 or Autosport, as I've been a nattering nabob of negativism about the GRID series since its inception.

But the current GRID is effing unplayable for me with the default settings. God-awful. Happy for you that your mileage varies.

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

I will check tonight, PK, but as far as I know, all I did was turn every assist off and increase the length of the career races. I don't recall doing any control tweaking.

What's odd is that before I posted the other night, I did a little search to remind myself of your stance on GRID and from what I could see, the only one you were negative about was GRID 2 (rightly so - GRID 2 added Toby Moody, which was good, then got rid of everything good about the driving and racing, which was less useful). That was why I referred back to the first and third games in my post: to me, this is a hybrid of two GRID games I believed you'd previously enjoyed. Knowing me, I probably stopped my research one page short of the game-breaking epiphany that's ruined GRID for you to this very day...but no, I really thought we'd be on to a winner here.

While I'm checking my settings, what is it specifically about the AI and the friction model that's tripping you up, mate? I'm trying to think if there's anything I experienced early on in the game that I'm now using a workaround or making an allowance for - drawing a blank up to now but you might jog my memory.
XBox Live and PSN Gamertag: theycallhimsim

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

pk500 wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:33 am
Rodster wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:14 am
Interesting, Rod. I don't recall GRID 2 or Autosport, as I've been a nattering nabob of negativism about the GRID series since its inception.

But the current GRID is effing unplayable for me with the default settings. God-awful. Happy for you that your mileage varies.
I think what makes it easier for me is that I NEVER once used a wheel for any racing game or sim so I use the visual and audio cues for what the car is doing and naturally adjust my inputs on the controller which might mean letting off slightly on the throttle or braking. It all depends on the situation but this GRID shares some stuff in common with the entire series. During the start of the game with the WSR introduction race at Brands Hatch, I went from last to first in 4 laps.

Have you checked to see if there is a steering sensitivity setting that might make the car less twitchy for you?

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

No tire wear or fuel load depletion in Project Cars 3, eliminating need for pit stops:

https://www.projectcarsgame.com/three/n ... lang=en-us

WTF? And Codemasters and SMS still have the stones to call this a sim?

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

pk500 wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:49 pm
No tire wear or fuel load depletion in Project Cars 3, eliminating need for pit stops:

https://www.projectcarsgame.com/three/n ... lang=en-us

WTF? And Codemasters and SMS still have the stones to call this a sim?
I read 50% of that article, it will backfire on them, no pun intended. They have given the impression that PCR3 is more inclusive for the beginner and expert. What they have done if I'm reading it correctly is taken away choices from the gamer/driver, ripped out the manual transmission out of the car and handed the gamer a semi-automatic version of PCR and PCR2.

The beginner crowd will love this because they now don't have to make choices but those that are looking for a more sim race experience will look elsewhere. You would think EA was behind these choices and not SMS/Codemasters. Oh well after this flops they hopefully will have a rethink for PCR4.

That said I'll still buy it went it hits the bargain bin on Steam.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

I doubt it will backfire, Rod. They'll sell more copies because it's more accessible. The sim world raves about games like AC and AC:C, but I bet they don't sell that many copies because the audience is niche.

Codemasters and SMS are clearly shifting the focus of the Project Cars franchise to take direct aim at Forza, not other true sims. I don't mind, as I still play Forza 7 a ton. The only racing game that gets as much of my time is Isle of Man TT 2.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Found some controller settings tweaks at the Codemasters forum that really helped improve the handling of GRID for me. I'm getting more of the controlled, arcadish slides that I'm supposed to, and it's fun.

There's no way in hell this game is worth $60, but I'm having fun with it for $10 after these tweaks.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Confirmation of no tire wear, fuel load dropoff or pit stops in Project Cars 3. They're clearly aiming at Forza, which is fine. Just don't call it a sim, Codemasters!

https://www.teamvvv.com/news/project-ca ... nsumption/

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

WTF? Bizarre. No thank you.

I am so deeply engrossed in iRacing now, that it seems like nothing else matters. The Discord community I help manage is up over 1,000 members, with multiple community races every week. It's about all I have time for.

It's getting so big that Tony Kanaan joined our little party this past weekend, and in some surreal twist....I gave him a track tutorial around Mosport in a GTE because he hadn't driven it yet. Then he peer-pressured me into running an IMSA official last night :D

One thing this pandemic has done is brought real world guys and sim racers together, because so many real world guys are just now seeing how cool sim racing is. I'm still pinching myself that my main endurance team (Sampsoid Racing) is now scheduling private test sessions with TK and his team...a couple more F1 guys (a prior champion, even).

Not sure how it got to this point, but it's bloody awesome. There was a day I'd have been excited about PCars3, but I think that ship has sailed for me, personally.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

pk500 wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:31 am
Confirmation of no tire wear, fuel load dropoff or pit stops in Project Cars 3. They're clearly aiming at Forza, which is fine. Just don't call it a sim, Codemasters!

Whoa... I can't believe they're not at least providing an option to enable those essentials!? I'll pass unless it makes its way to the $10 bargain bin. I'm really just rediscovering PC2 now so I'm pretty content with it. I just hate that I have to spend so much time changing steering wheel settings, but in the end, it's worth it.
Last edited by J_Cauthen on Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

pk500 wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:31 am

Yeah, that was mentioned in the Gamespot interview with two of the PCR3 team members.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

I actually don't mind seeing Codemasters turn its sights at Forza with Project Cars 3. Forza has been the most consistently excellent and fun racing series on any console for the last 10 years, wiping out nearly all of its competition.

Full credit to Turn 10: It hasn't rested on its laurels. It's a super-devoted team that's always looking to add cool new wrinkles to the Forza franchise. That was very evident when I was at Turn 10 in Seattle for two days of meetings in December 2017.

But competition improves the breed. I doubt Turn 10 is quaking in its boots at the new direction of Project Cars 3, but you can bet your mortgage its staff is paying attention.

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

TCrouch wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:53 am
I am so deeply engrossed in iRacing now, that it seems like nothing else matters. The Discord community I help manage is up over 1,000 members, with multiple community races every week. It's about all I have time for.
One thing this pandemic has done is brought real world guys and sim racers together, because so many real world guys are just now seeing how cool sim racing is. I'm still pinching myself that my main endurance team (Sampsoid Racing) is now scheduling private test sessions with TK and his team...a couple more F1 guys (a prior champion, even).
That's amazing, Terry! It's been a lot of fun watching drivers discover sim racing outside of the races the series put on officially, I've learned more about driver personalities in the last few months than the previous few years combined. Guys like Landon Cassill are really taking the ball and running with it to set up big events with money on the line like the Firecracker 400, or Conor Daly with his LCQLeague filled with ridiculousness.

iRacing is about all I play any more too, to the point where I see no reason to buy a next-gen console at this point. I only have about 2-4 hours to put in weekly and have finally figured out what makes it most fun for me--before I was trying to race up the ladder and drive everything but the D license races are more of my speed. More participants so my split is more "talent appropriate" depending on whether I'm on an oval (I'm mediocre!) or road course (dog slow!) and the races are shorter so I can squeeze in more of them. Planning to run enough USF2000 and ARCA races to earn participation credits this season.

At the C-level, I'll run some IndyCar ovals and Radicals on weeks where I have more time and already own the content. I run clean races so that'll be enough to get me to a B license for next season, but I doubt there will be much for me at that level.
xbl/psn tag: dave2eleven

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

That's why I was so happy to find this community early on. I know Don joined and has run a couple of the hot lap challenges, but we have so many things going on...."Hump Day DTM" races with the German cars. Multi-class GTE/GT3/GT4 on a different track each week. Of course I drive in almost all the Endurance events now, but I barely ever run official races anymore. I just ran one two nights ago when I got goaded into joining...peer pressure works wonders.

But after so much community practice, I put it on the pole in the IMSA Sportscar series, led every lap, and ran away with it. I want to do officials more often! :lol:

Whether you're starting out or experienced, honestly, this community is like nothing else I've ever been a part of, and it's just exploding. Last night our Hump Day practice had TK, Rubens Barrichello, Arthur and Matheus Leist....my name is going further down the leaderboard, but it's rapidly turning into a "pros hang out", where average joes like us get to mingle with greatness lol

Anybody is invited, of course:

https://discord.gg/Ffx9cS

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

It's good to see iRacing healthy and growing. I remember back in the day when Papyrus announced it was closing shop and the NR2003 sim crowd had their doubts whether iRacing was viable as a subscription based racing sim and quite a large number felt betrayed and was hoping it would fail. I have to admit I was skeptical as well but David Crammer and John Henry guessed correctly, kudos to them.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Had a chance to try Automobilista 2. First the good news, for a 1.00 release this sim has been seriously optimized. I can run 23 cars on HIGH settings and the game doesn't skip a beat, it runs smooth. I can't say the same for Nascar Heat which uses Unity whereas AM2 runs on the Project Cars engine. Keep in mind this sim is running on a GTX 780 and an i5-3570K CPU which is a 7 yr old setup.

More good news, the initial game has a plethora of tracks, and racing disciplines. The handling of the cars on a wireless controller feel as good as any Codemasters racing sim. They are spot on which makes it all the more puzzling why Slightly Mad Studios has such trouble getting a console controller setup wrong.

Racing Marbles! It's the first time I can recall seeing racing marbles off the racing line and cars kicking up marbles. However it had NO impact so these could just be cosmetic.

Where the game takes a step back is the usual and predictable cornering AI. Project Cars and Project Cars 2 nail it on certain tracks where you could actually find a racing rhythm chasing the AI. The AI in PCR and PCR2 would naturally take corners at the proper speeds where you did not have to seriously slow down because they seriously slowed down. Not so in AM2 and the end result is, you can go for the pass, brake late and pass them. Rinse, repeat. On the straights they are fast, fast.

This becomes all too predictable. If they can patch the AI for better cornering speeds this potentially could be the racing sim of the year because of everything you get straight out. They did a lot of things right but for me the cornering AI ruins it.