Racing Sim Thread, Part II

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Racing Sim Thread, Part II

Post by pk500 »

fletcher21 wrote:Picked up project cars 2 for around $10 for PS4. This is definitely not GT Sport. Is it possible to eventually get good enough to enjoy this game on a controller? Out of the box it’s hard to even keep the car straight on a near straightaway.
Yes. But you need to tweak controller settings to find a setup that's both comfortable and that works with many different kinds of cars. I would give you my setup, but it's for Xbox. Not sure if that translates to PS4.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

WPatrick
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by WPatrick »

I used pk500’s settings on my PS4 controller. They translated really well.
Last edited by WPatrick on Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

WPatrick
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by WPatrick »

Also, the handling is slippery until you warm the tires up.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

WPatrick wrote:Also, the handling is slippery until you warm the tires up.
Definitely. Good point. This game simulates cold tires better than any other I've played on a console.

Glad my settings worked on the PS4!
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by F308GTB »

pk500 wrote:
Definitely. Good point. This game simulates cold tires better than any other I've played on a console.

Wait until Assetto Corsa Competzione gets released forc onsoles. It and AMS ho me have the best tire models in terms of grip and temperature.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

F308GTB wrote:
pk500 wrote:

Wait until Assetto Corsa Competzione gets released forc onsoles. It and AMS ho me have the best tire models in terms of grip and temperature.
Sadly, AC is god-awful with a controller on the Xbox. I appreciate developers' demand for realism as much as anyone, but it makes ZERO sense to me why these developers of PC sims don't optimize the console versions of their games for controllers. The VAST majority of people who play racing games on consoles still use a controller.

Sure, it may be uncompromising to require a wheel to get the most out of a PC sim ported for console. It's also commercial suicide. And these developers wonder why their sales totals are low on console.

Say what you will about the realism of Forza, but one thing Turn 10 ALWAYS has done right with this franchise is control with an Xbox controller. The Forza series always has been nothing short of sublime to drive with a bone-stock Xbox gamepad.

WPatrick
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by WPatrick »

Forza, GT Sport, Dirt Rally 2.0 and Codemasters F1 games are all great with a controller. WRC 7 & 8 along with Project Cars 1&2 need tweaks.

Console games should never require a wheel to be enjoyable. I had a full cockpit and wheel a few years ago & I eventually got rid of it. After a long day at work it just feels like more work to sit down in a cockpit and drive. I’d much rather ease back in my recliner, relax and use a game pad. I’m also so damn cheap that I felt guilty if I didn’t use the sim rig.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

WPatrick wrote:Console games should never require a wheel to be enjoyable. I had a full cockpit and wheel a few years ago & I eventually got rid of it. After a long day at work it just feels like more work to sit down in a cockpit and drive. I’d much rather ease back in my recliner, relax and use a game pad. I’m also so damn cheap that I felt guilty if I didn’t use the sim rig.
Gospel TRUTH. Well said, man.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

I've gone off the deep end when it comes to sim rig stuff. Polar opposite :lol:

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

TCrouch wrote:I've gone off the deep end when it comes to sim rig stuff. Polar opposite :lol:
Nothing wrong with that. I'm sure all of us controller-only folks would be envious as hell of your rig.

But I still contend that just as PC racing sims are developed for wheels because that's the predominant control scheme on that platform, console racing sims should be developed for a gamepad for the same reason. Plus those games would sell more copies, so it would be a win-win for gamers and developers.

Yet we still have "brilliant" developers like Kunos and Slightly Mad simply shove PC sims on console -- with no consideration of the prevalence of pad players -- and wonder why they don't sell more copies. And then complete arrogant dickheads like SMS chief Ian Bell attack their customers when gamepad-oriented controls are even suggested for the console versions of their games.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Can't dispute that at all. The console should be treated as such, and the default native controller as the primary development method. Anything else should be secondary.

WPatrick
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by WPatrick »

TCrouch wrote:I've gone off the deep end when it comes to sim rig stuff. Polar opposite :lol:
I still love looking at sim racing gear. The F1 & GT style wheels, the awesome home made cockpits etc.....Maybe when I retire, or when my kids get older I’ll jump back in. The race department’s cockpit thread is awesome! Some of the set ups are just amazing.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Same with the sim gear eyeballing! This is my home now:

Running triple 32" 144Hz monitors with the Asus ROG PG348Q as the 4th. Got SimHub running on my phone to act as the dashboard:

But the pride of my rig are the Ricmotech RealGear GTPro3 Hydraulic Pedals:

I've spent more time (and money) in the past 6 months on my sim rig than at any point in the past two decades. Gotten so deep into iRacing (after just dabbling in it for over 11 years) that it's almost absurd. I've run in the Daytona 24, the 12 Hours of Sebring, just did the 24 Hours of Suzuka last weekend, and am running in the Nurburgring 24 this weekend. Finally graduated away from ovals and been doing pretty much nothing but road the past 6 months.

Going back to console games has been almost impossible for me, but consoles should really just be designed and focused on their native install base. Guys with rigs like mine aren't interested in really spending a ton of time there, anyway, honestly.

WPatrick
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by WPatrick »

Awesome set up!

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by F308GTB »

TCrouch wrote:Same with the sim gear eyeballing! This is my home now:
No VR? Graphics take a dive in resolution, but the immersion factor is unreal. I can't do a serious sim in 2D anymore.

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

That's an amazing set-up, holy sh*t. I want to upgrade from my G920 but got a DOA Thrustmaster TX that ended up in warranty hell (no one wanted to fix it) and had to be returned, guess that's a sign to keep saving up for a Fanatec instead!
xbl/psn tag: dave2eleven

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

F308GTB wrote:
TCrouch wrote:Same with the sim gear eyeballing! This is my home now:
No VR? Graphics take a dive in resolution, but the immersion factor is unreal. I can't do a serious sim in 2D anymore.
I've got an Oculus Rift, and an Oculus Rift S. The clarity is the biggest drawback--as is comfort over long sessions. Barely any overlays work, as well.

With trips I can see an apex clearly from 300M away. With VR, you just can't. I felt the same way after doing nothing but VR for a few years, but I go back and forth now depending on the mood. No way I could do endurance races with it, though.

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

Is anyone planning on playing MotoGP 20?

My only experience on bikes is with TT Isle of Man, which I absolutely loved.

How does this game stack up to TT in terms of the handling? The type of racing is obviously very different (willing to give it a shot).

From what I hear, they've really improved this game since MotoGP 18.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

fanatic wrote:Is anyone planning on playing MotoGP 20?

My only experience on bikes is with TT Isle of Man, which I absolutely loved.

How does this game stack up to TT in terms of the handling? The type of racing is obviously very different (willing to give it a shot).

From what I hear, they've really improved this game since MotoGP 18.
MotoGP 19 SUCKED. Terrible bike control, terrible brake power. I have no plans to buy the new game because I don't trust Milestone to put much effort into improving the physics, especially in the shorter development time created by the earlier release date.

Isle of Man TT: Ride on the Edge 2 is an improvement over the original game and FAR better than MotoGP 19. Not even close.

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

Thanks pk!

I’m sure that TT 2 is the better choice. Some of my favourite racing moments ever have come in that game. Still can’t believe people race like that in real life!

Currently playing the Colin McCrae dlc in Dirt Rally 2. Good purchase- I like how the sections are a bit shorter but super fast.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

fanatic wrote:Thanks pk!

I’m sure that TT 2 is the better choice. Some of my favourite racing moments ever have come in that game. Still can’t believe people race like that in real life!

Currently playing the Colin McCrae dlc in Dirt Rally 2. Good purchase- I like how the sections are a bit shorter but super fast.
Oooh -- need to check that Colin pack. Thanks for the tip! :)

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

Terry, what team have you been running for in the Nurburgring 24? I have always wanted to try and do a team 24 hour race.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

I am spending most of my time with Sampsoid Racing now (David Sampson on Youtube). Fantastic community. Discord of over 400 members, weekly racing all the time.

Pretty much the only place I hang out nowadays :lol:

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

TCrouch wrote:I am spending most of my time with Sampsoid Racing now (David Sampson on Youtube). Fantastic community. Discord of over 400 members, weekly racing all the time.

Pretty much the only place I hang out nowadays :lol:
Cool! Crazy coincidence, I have just become acquainted with David Sampson via his extremely helpful Youtube videos for iRacing. Because of my newly found motion sickness in VR, I am trying to setup my machine for triple monitors for iRacing, Dirt 2, Assetto Corsa Competizione, Automobilista 2, RaceRoom Racing Experience, rFactor 2, KartKraft, etc. Man, I forgot how difficult it is to get these things setup correctly. I finally got iRacing setup with triple screens and correct FOV for the first time since joining the service in 2008 thanks to these videos below from David Sampson. Now I am trying to get my force feedback dialed in. I really miss the VR, especially in iRacing, Dirt 2 and KartKraft, but man it would just make me so sick even after just like 10 minutes. Tried all the remedies and nothing really worked, so I may just have to do VR in very small stints.

PS - How did your 24 hour race go?

How to set up Triple Monitors in iRacing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4i6zTC8Hlxc&t=321s

How to set the correct FOV in iRacing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQVQhYU3ccs

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

You should join the Discord community:

https://discord.gg/vVGXhw

So many guys there, and so much helpful info. We're running community races constantly, too.

We had great daytimes, and a horrible night. Went from leading early down to as low as 20th. Ended up finishing P13 out of 54 on the grid, but it was the first endurance as a team.