Racing Sim Thread, Part II

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Racing Sim Thread, Part II

Post by pk500 »

I have it!
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

pk500 wrote:I have it!
Eagerly awaiting your impressions on the sequel. Steam has it for $40 but I already have the original and I don't follow the event. My biggest gripe with the original was performance and some times it dip a little in the FPS dept but I enjoyed the rest of the game.

The other minor gripe was the collision detection. Sometimes just brushing up against a particular object would have you sailing whereas climbing a sidewalk curb at 100+ MPH wouldn't have you going end over end. Again those are minor gripes.

What i'm looking for is a real difference in the sequel, like physics and performance. But reading some of the Steam complaints about FPS stuttering doesn't bode well for my 7 yr old gaming rig.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Got it on PC. Hoping for a decent triple-screen experience.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

VERY early days, as I played for about an hour last night before I passed out from exhaustion, frayed nerves and intoxication.

-- The physics are very different. No more crazy phantom rider tosses from bikes for seemingly no reason. I don't get the sense of loss of grip that was promised, and I think the gyroscopic steering wobbles just before a crash are more of a cosmetic vibration than a real handling cue, but the bikes definitely have more grip and are more predictable.

-- The bikes seem to have a lot more understeer and less braking power, which also is realistic. You're going to need to lift or brake earlier for tighter corners than in the first game. It was SO easy to "back it in" to corners in the first game by sliding the rear wheel due to the more arcadish grip model. If you could wrap your head around the unpredictable physics, sliding was a pretty effective way to go fast in the first game. Not in this one.

-- The 600cc Supersports reach a top speed of about 165 mph in stock form. That's a HUGE change from the original game, in which Supersports reached 190-195, which is unrealistic. You're going to pin the sh*t out of the red line on the tach on 600s on most of the Mountain course, which again is realistic.

-- The Career mode is interesting. Not hugely fleshed out like the F1 series with bike development, contract negotiations, etc. But still a welcome addition to add longevity.

-- The game is pretty, just like the first one. But I think the sense of speed is slightly lower than the original game. It just doesn't feel like the scenery is ripping past as quickly on the Sulby Straight, for example. But this sequel still has better sense of speed than any other racing game on the market. Tons of pucker factor remains, but it doesn't feel as much like the old Wipeout games on two wheels.

-- The sound is effing sublime. Yes, the bikes still sound good. But the Doppler effect with sound as you pass large roadside objects such as houses, stone walls, pillars, etc., is insanely cool with good speakers or a gaming headset.

I watched a YouTube video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XS-wxk ... Jhxc4HNwUc) last night from a gamer and reviewer who usually knows his stuff. He said that if you liked the first game and could wrap your head around its nutso physics model, you'll REALLY like this sequel. But he also said that if you found the first game to be too much to handle or not your style of racing game, then this game won't change your mind.

Bull's-eye. It's not like this game went from Dark Souls to mindless, easy killing of hordes in the original Destiny with the transition from the original to the sequel. It's still a VERY large challenge. I'm still falling a lot. I still use the same levels of rider aids I did with the first game; if you can play this without any aids, you're a god. But the sequel is a more predictable, understandable challenge.

I just need more seat time, as always. Many more hours of fun ahead. Feel free to toss me any questions.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

No force feedback in the game at all on PC, which is surprising--considering they have an option for "steering wheel". I set my wheel to 210 degrees of rotation so it's a quick snap back and forth, but there's just nothing there for center spring or anything. Seems controller-or-bust for this one.

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

RaceRoom Racing Experience all content Free for the next few days!

A very good sim with over 40+ real tracks and 150+ cars from touring to open wheel, classics to modern, with some tracks that you will not find in other sims. Pretty cool for them to do this.

http://game.raceroom.com/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2115 ... xperience/
Hello everyone,

In these difficult times of quarantine and lockdowns, it's very important that we take care of each other. As a racing game providing entertainment, we thought temporarily opening the gates and letting you all enjoy the RaceRoom content without worrying about the next paycheck was the best we could do. Starting now and for a minimum of five days, all the content in RaceRoom is freely accessible.

In addition to that, we are throwing a #RaceFromHome event this saturday, with all kinds of motorsport and simracing personalities. It will be streamed on Youtube and you can already set a reminder here ->

Follow us on Twitter and Instagram for regular updates on the confirmed participants!

Later today, around 20.00 CET, RaceRoom devs from Sector3 Studios, including yours truly, will be hanging out on the RaceRoom Discord to chat and race on the ranked servers. See you all tonight!

Please take care of your loved ones as well as vulnerable people around you. You may very well have elderly neighbours scared of going outside from what they see on the news. Please take precautions to not spread the disease to them when reaching out.

While you are not using it, your computer can also help make a difference: please make sure to check out Folding@Home ( https://foldingathome.org/ ). It is a distributed computing project simulating protein dynamics, which helps scientists figure out new ways of curing diseases. They have recently dedicated resources to covid-19.

See you on track, and most importantly, stay safe, everyone!

J-F Chardon

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by F308GTB »

DChaps wrote:RaceRoom Racing Experience all content Free for the next few days!

A very good sim with over 40+ real tracks and 150+ cars from touring to open wheel, classics to modern, with some tracks that you will not find in other sims. Pretty cool for them to do this.

http://game.raceroom.com/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2115 ... xperience/
Yep. Very nice sim with a large number of lesser used Asian and Swedish tracks. Actually have all the tracks save the 2 latest releases, so it's a good way to try those out. Also, hint for those that don't have it but like what you see - get VRP points (e.g., at https://www.raceroomstore.com/us/list_page?cat=24) as you can get a discount on the packs. Makes getting all the content much cheaper.

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

Anyone still playing the Tony Stewart Sprint Car game? Interested to hear if it is holding up.
xbl/psn tag: dave2eleven

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Dave wrote:Anyone still playing the Tony Stewart Sprint Car game? Interested to hear if it is holding up.
Yep. It's not close to the Ratbag dirt sims, but it's still fun. A very good pick up-and-play game. I also enjoy the Career mode, even though it's pretty threadbare.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

List of all major upcoming eSports events:

https://racer.com/2020/03/21/esports-race-calendar/

AcemanPR
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by AcemanPR »

While this pandemic is hurting a lot of industries, it will also be an opportunity for others, e-Sports being one of them.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

There's been a simracing exposure explosion in the past week. It's all over the news in simracing circles. Pretty unprecedented level of exposure across all disciplines.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

TCrouch wrote:There's been a simracing exposure explosion in the past week. It's all over the news in simracing circles. Pretty unprecedented level of exposure across all disciplines.
Very happy for the dudes at iRacing for the exposure and presumed increase in subscriptions. I have worked with a few of them on cross-promotions with IMS and the Indy 500 in the last decade, especially closer to the service's launch.

They're all really cool guys, and they are all committed sim racers. Scanning tracks, building new cars and tracks, introducing new features, etc. -- it's WAY more than a job for these cats. They live it.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Yeah, for sure. I joined it in June of 2008, and it's only grown exponentially since then. I've only recently really started getting into it heavily, though. A few leagues I'm in have live broadcasts with commentators and everything, which has been my first experience with the "big league" presentation out there.

But now with the home-lockdown, it just seems even more time to do what I was already devoting all of my free time to.

Even now, in the middle of the day on a Monday, there are 11,500 iRacers online. That's insane.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I was watching a replay of the iRacing Homestead Nascar race and wow, impressive. It looks like a real Nascar race with commentating, and the drivers race like the Pros in the real series, i.e. avoiding and not causing wrecks. I can only imagine some of those teams must have their own race engineers involved in setups and spotters for on track action.

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

Rodster wrote:I was watching a replay of the iRacing Homestead Nascar race and wow, impressive. It looks like a real Nascar race with commentating, and the drivers race like the Pros in the real series, i.e. avoiding and not causing wrecks. I can only imagine some of those teams must have their own race engineers involved in setups and spotters for on track action.
They ran fixed set-ups, so no help on the engineering side for the televised race at least. It sure looked like the spotters would have come in handy with some of the wrecks during the first 2/3 of the race!

Glad the ratings were good enough that they'll keep doing it. As PK said, it is really cool seeing the iRacing platform get so much attention. I only recently returned to the service after a really long break, and even the rookie races are so much fun if you manage to stay out of trouble.

Even more cool is the direct line from iRacing all the way back to Indianapolis 500: The Simulation by David Kaemmer. I've spent more time on games he's made than anything else. There's a really fun interview between him and the Dinner With Racers crew in their last batch of podcast releases.

Speaking of that motley crew, did anyone check out their Pooper Sebring event this weekend? Such a fun, dumb event.
xbl/psn tag: dave2eleven

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I recently picked up Dirt Rally 2.0 GOTY on Steam for $30 (sale) and it's turned out really nice. It's still tough as nails but driving some of the older, less lethal cars like the Datsun 280z is a lot of fun. This version does tend to have a little more grip than Dirt Rally but getting into trouble can happen pretty quick. I was surprised that it runs at 60FPS settings on HIGH on my 7 yr old rig.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Project Cars 2 free in April with Games with Gold.

VERY good game once you get controller settings set up, which can be a real b*tch. I spent hours getting mine right for me and a variety of cars -- happy to share them.

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by F308GTB »

Automobilista 2 officially available as early release on Steam, I have had the various betas for the last month. It started out darn good and progress for the better from there. If you liked the original AMS, don't hesitate to get the sequel.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

F308GTB wrote:Automobilista 2 officially available as early release on Steam, I have had the various betas for the last month. It started out darn good and progress for the better from there. If you liked the original AMS, don't hesitate to get the sequel.
Thanks for the tip. I got Automobilista for free a long time ago because I bought two racing games from them. It had a lot to offer but I found it lacking and did not play it much even though I purchased the Season Pass because it was based on rFactor and rFactor was really bad with console controllers.

I'm looking forward to the sequel especially since they are using the Project Cars gaming engine. PC and PC2 may not be the best when using a controller but they are miles better than rFactor and rFactor 2. So far Codemasters is by far the best developer when it comes to controller support.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Well, I think I'll pass on AM2. It must be an April fools joke, $30 for the base game and $100 for the Season Pass which covers 2020-21. Seriously Reiza Studios. :roll:

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by F308GTB »

Rodster wrote:Well, I think I'll pass on AM2. It must be an April fools joke, $30 for the base game and $100 for the Season Pass which covers 2020-21. Seriously Reiza Studios. :roll:
While the pass is out of whack, $30 is a steal, There are 2 dozen plus tracks, cars you don't find elsewhere, and a nice driving model. I don't know if I get the pass contents from my AMS backing level but you know they will go on sale.

Don't know how the game drives with a pad as I stick with a wheel. But it is awesome in VR.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

It’s really interesting, the control in Project Cars 2 is quite a bit more responsive on the Xbox compared to the PC. I’m using the Xbox Elite 2 controller and with both on default settings, it’s so much easier for me to make clean laps on the Xbox for some reason. Really weird, but it’s almost like two different games.

WPatrick
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by WPatrick »

pk500 wrote:
Dave wrote:Anyone still playing the Tony Stewart Sprint Car game? Interested to hear if it is holding up.
Yep. It's not close to the Ratbag dirt sims, but it's still fun. A very good pick up-and-play game. I also enjoy the Career mode, even though it's pretty threadbare.
I bought it yesterday on PS4 & I’m enjoying it. It’s a good start & I hope they are able to make this into a series.

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

Picked up project cars 2 for around $10 for PS4. This is definitely not GT Sport. Is it possible to eventually get good enough to enjoy this game on a controller? Out of the box it’s hard to even keep the car straight on a near straightaway.