Racing Sim Thread, Part II

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Racing Sim Thread, Part II

Post by pk500 »

I still miss this thing, the greatest non-wheel racing controller EVER. Had one for my original PlayStation back in the late 90s, and the neGcon provided sublime, pinpoint steering by simply twisting the controller from the center pivot:

I wish Namco or another company would release an updated version of this controller with triggers. I would buy it today.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

TCrouch wrote:I actually do, and may give that a shot to see what it's like.
Sweet, let us know if you do it and how well it works.
"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier
https://www.ea.com/games/nhl/nhl-20/pro ... rm=xboxone

Gangrel
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gangrel »

pk500 wrote:I still miss this thing, the greatest non-wheel racing controller EVER. Had one for my original PlayStation back in the late 90s, and the neGcon provided sublime, pinpoint steering by simply twisting the controller from the center pivot:

I wish Namco or another company would release an updated version of this controller with triggers. I would buy it today.
God, I had one of those things and loved it too! Actually, I had two, I broke the first one somehow and think I convinced the store to replace it.

You don't need triggers, if i remember correctly the buttons were squishy and analog, weren't they?
gamertag: Ace EZ

Once a Dragon, a Dragon for life!

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Gangrel wrote:You don't need triggers, if i remember correctly the buttons were squishy and analog, weren't they?
I think they were. But I'm so used to triggers that I want them! :)
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

IIRC, that Namco controller came out with Ridge Racer 4.

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

Memory playing tricks, mate, but only very small ones. The Ridge Racer Type 4 controller was the Jogcon, the one with the little steering wheel on the front of it. I never got to try one, so the best I can tell you is that the bloke I sit next to at work loved his.

NeGcon was definitely launched around the time of the original Ridge Racer. I remember 10-year-old me using one on a demo pod at my local Toys R Us and being bloody awful at it.
XBox Live and PSN Gamertag: theycallhimsim

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

Anyone pick up F1 2018? I really wish it released closer to the start of the season, same with NASCAR Heat. Reviews indicate it is another solid entry.
xbl/psn tag: dave2eleven

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Dave wrote:Anyone pick up F1 2018? I really wish it released closer to the start of the season, same with NASCAR Heat. Reviews indicate it is another solid entry.
Yeah Dave, that's my biggest beef with F1 2018. This year I waited towards the start of the season and bought F1 2017 at a huge discount and i'm doing the same thing next year. Codemaster's put F1 2017 on sale at the start of the season for $16. I can wait till 2019.

Nascar Heat, yeah same thing although they seem to be a little stingy on dropping the price. Typically you have to wait a year before it goes half price and it usually drops to $20 right before the new game is announced which is two years later. I can also wait because it's been confirmed that they are using an updated Unity Engine which sucks for a Nascar game running 40 cars. I can run F1 2017 maxed out on graphics at a smooth 60FPS and Nascar Heat 2 has stutters and micro stutters.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Dave wrote:Anyone pick up F1 2018? I really wish it released closer to the start of the season, same with NASCAR Heat. Reviews indicate it is another solid entry.
As Jeff Spicoli said when the pizza was delivered to Mr. Hand's classroom, "Right here, dude." I got F1 2018 on release day. Of course I did. :)

No regrets. Another outstanding game from my initial perceptions.

I've barely scratched the surface of any of the modes other than running 25 percent races in Grand Prix mode, only using modern cars. I'm only focusing right now on the driving model and AI, and they're both excellent, with four noticeable improvements:

1. Miss your turn-in, and the car will continue to run wide if you don't lift or tap the brake. A nice improvement over past driving models in which you could jerk the car back into the line without much penalty if you missed your marks.

2. Improved grip on intermediate and rain tires in the wet. I thought one of the few flaws in F1 2017's driving model was its non-existent grip in the wet. The cars felt like they were on slicks on ice. There is more grip this year on intermediates and full wets. It's not easy or impossible -- challenging. Feels just right.

3. This is the biggie: The AI cars are much more aggressive in defending. I was driving as Ricciardo at Brazil -- my favorite F1 circuit to drive, true! -- and running second to Vettel before our pit stops. My front wing was a bit tweaked, so my stop was a slow 8.9 seconds due to a replacement. Hamilton jumped me in the pits due to my long stop, and I started to hunt him down from third when I returned to the track. Hamilton left a slight opening entering a corner, and I dove low to fill it and pass him. In past Codies' F1 games, I could easily fill that gap without much of a fight. But in this game, Hamilton chopped me like a Ginsu knife just as I was approaching his diffuser. I had to back off and try again a few turns later. Absolutely BRILLIANT.

4. Simulation damage is unforgiving as hell, especially to the front wing. Tap another car, and that wing will be crocked. The Simulation damage model is a bit more forgiving with side-to-side contact, but your driving better be surgical if you're running on Simulation damage.

Otherwise, gorgeous graphics, lush sounds, complete immersion, a ton of modes, etc. Exactly what you would expect from Codemasters' flagship franchise. Some of the scenes look and sound just like the Sky and F1 World Feed coverage of races. I'm on an OG Xbox One and a 720p plasma TV; I can't imagine how good this game looks in 4K HDR on an Xbox One X. Must rival The Hunter as perhaps the prettiest game I've seen on the system.

One more observation: The Halo is even more insidious and hideous in my mind after driving in the cockpit view, my only view of choice. You get used to it, but man, it's annoying as f*ck. There is an option to turn off the vertical strut at the front of the cockpit in the options, thank God. I hate to do that, as it reduces realism. But the game is supposed to be fun, and the Halo reduces my enjoyment. We'll see.
Last edited by pk500 on Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Ok PK, i'm trying to holdout till the start of next years season. I'm getting weak. :lol:
GB_Simo wrote:Memory playing tricks, mate, but only very small ones. The Ridge Racer Type 4 controller was the Jogcon, the one with the little steering wheel on the front of it. I never got to try one, so the best I can tell you is that the bloke I sit next to at work loved his.

NeGcon was definitely launched around the time of the original Ridge Racer. I remember 10-year-old me using one on a demo pod at my local Toys R Us and being bloody awful at it.
Yeah, Adam you're right that's the one I was thinking about.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

My copy just arrived. Probably won't be able to crack it till tomorrow though. Looking forward to it.

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

I was going to pick up PES 2019 to play alongside Spiderman in the coming weeks, but I think I'll grab this instead. Seems like a great package of solid driving, graphics, presentation and career mode.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

fanatic wrote:I was going to pick up PES 2019 to play alongside Spiderman in the coming weeks, but I think I'll grab this instead. Seems like a great package of solid driving, graphics, presentation and career mode.
Fantastic game. The ultimate licensed racing game package for a console, and I've played licensed racing games since Bill Elliott's NASCAR Challenge and Michael Andretti's World GP on the 8-bit Nintendo in the late 80s. :)

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

pk500 wrote:
fanatic wrote:I was going to pick up PES 2019 to play alongside Spiderman in the coming weeks, but I think I'll grab this instead. Seems like a great package of solid driving, graphics, presentation and career mode.
Fantastic game. The ultimate licensed racing game package for a console, and I've played licensed racing games since Bill Elliott's NASCAR Challenge and Michael Andretti's World GP on the 8-bit Nintendo in the late 80s. :)
Licenses sure do help! Even though I don't watch F1 on television, I really do appreciate when a game has that polished tv-style look and presentation.

What type of assists should I be thinking about using? I love driving games, but I'm sort of a rookie when it comes to the technical stuff. I always drive automatic, as I find enough challenge in trying to race a proper line. F1 seems like it has a lot of depth, so maybe I should keep things pretty assisted and focus on learning the various tracks and cars?

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

fanatic wrote:What type of assists should I be thinking about using? I love driving games, but I'm sort of a rookie when it comes to the technical stuff. I always drive automatic, as I find enough challenge in trying to race a proper line. F1 seems like it has a lot of depth, so maybe I should keep things pretty assisted and focus on learning the various tracks and cars?
Absolutely. Use the assists that bring you the best combination of quick lap times, good wheel-to-wheel racing and enjoyment.

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

pk500 wrote:Fantastic game. The ultimate licensed racing game package for a console, and I've played licensed racing games since Bill Elliott's NASCAR Challenge and Michael Andretti's World GP on the 8-bit Nintendo in the late 80s. :)
You said F1 2018 was good, not "better than Bill Elliott's NASCAR Challenge" good...are you sure you're ready to go THAT far with praise?
xbl/psn tag: dave2eleven

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Dave wrote:
pk500 wrote:Fantastic game. The ultimate licensed racing game package for a console, and I've played licensed racing games since Bill Elliott's NASCAR Challenge and Michael Andretti's World GP on the 8-bit Nintendo in the late 80s. :)
You said F1 2018 was good, not "better than Bill Elliott's NASCAR Challenge" good...are you sure you're ready to go THAT far with praise?
YES! :)

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

It's a shame none of you guys play rFactor 2. One of the best mods ever created ( Carrera 4 Mod ) was ported from rFactor to rFactor 2. Someone recreated the entire 1988 Formula One season with every team, driver and track. The graphics are amazing, so are the highly detailed cars down to their respective liveries. The track venues have all the sponsor signage you would expect trackside. The real highlight is the sound of the cars. Each team has their own unique sound although my favorite has to be the Williams. It's loud and it sounds violent. 8)

The mod easily gets a 9.5 out of 10.

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by F308GTB »

Rodster wrote:It's a shame none of you guys play rFactor 2. One of the best mods ever created ( Carrera 4 Mod ) was ported from rFactor to rFactor 2. Someone recreated the entire 1988 Formula One season with every team, driver and track. The graphics are amazing, so are the highly detailed cars down to their respective liveries. The track venues have all the sponsor signage you would expect trackside. The real highlight is the sound of the cars. Each team has their own unique sound although my favorite has to be the Williams. It's loud and it sounds violent. 8)

Don't think I've seen that mod. Is it on the Steam workshop? Rfactor2 is definitely in my rotation. It has solid AI and plays fantastically in VR.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

F308GTB wrote:
Rodster wrote:It's a shame none of you guys play rFactor 2. One of the best mods ever created ( Carrera 4 Mod ) was ported from rFactor to rFactor 2. Someone recreated the entire 1988 Formula One season with every team, driver and track. The graphics are amazing, so are the highly detailed cars down to their respective liveries. The track venues have all the sponsor signage you would expect trackside. The real highlight is the sound of the cars. Each team has their own unique sound although my favorite has to be the Williams. It's loud and it sounds violent. 8)

Don't think I've seen that mod. Is it on the Steam workshop? Rfactor2 is definitely in my rotation. It has solid AI and plays fantastically in VR.
Yes it's in the workshop. Look for either F1 1988 or Carrera 4 mod. The AI is pretty solid with the one exception that they tend to slowdown a little bit during the corners which was a complaint of ISI racing games. Keep in mind this mod was built for rFactor and ported to rFactor 2 so it explains why they slowdown a wee bit going into the corners.

I had rFactor and this mod was unplayable on the first rFactor because the AI in that mod turned each race into a drunken chariot race. In rFactor 2 they are actually decent with that that one exception. I usually crank up the AI around 90-95% and it makes them go quicker in the corners.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I picked up the F1 2018 Headline Edition for the PC, pretty cheap. It's still running the EGO Engine but boy does it look nice. Every year they seem to squeeze a little bit more from the graphics. So far the AI plays fair and the graphics performance still holds a respectable framerate on my rig after 5 yrs.

For the first time you can actually drive competitively in the rain. While I was doing laps at Monza in the rain, it almost felt like they turned on the high grip mode that you get driving in dry conditions. I don't think driving in the rain should be that easy but it's fun nonetheless.

I still think the best Formula One wet weather driving sim to date is still Geoff Crammond's Grand Prix 4 a game which came out in 2002. He designed the wet weather aspect of the game to include GPS weather track mapping or whatever he called it. Basically just because it was raining didn't mean it was raining everywhere on the track. So you could be in a race where it was raining everywhere or just in sections. I still haven't seen anyone else pull this off or maybe they have, simply brilliant. The other thing he did was have a driving line in the wet where you had more grip in the racing line and if you got off of it you took your chances spinning out if you got careless.

**Another thing that Geoff Crammond’s Grand Prix series nailed to perfection was the canny AI and FAILURES, yes realistic failures which most racing games still can’t get right. In the Grand Prix games depending on the team you chose, the failure rate followed the path of the team in that season. I’ve seen leads blown or was knockedout of the race by electrical issues, transmission and engine failures. That’s one of the things I wish F1 2018 had incorporated in the game. That said today’s Grand Prix cars are pretty much bullet proof vs the 90’s era cars that were basically egg shells i.e. they could break at any moment.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Good point on failures, Rod. No console game has simulated that well, even if mechanical failures occur far less frequently than even 20 years ago in all forms of racing.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

pk500 wrote:Good point on failures, Rod. No console game has simulated that well, even if mechanical failures occur far less frequently than even 20 years ago in all forms of racing.
Grand Prix 4 was light years ahead of it's time and still today there are racing sims that still have not pulled off what that racing game did including the AI. Better yet the game was designed to be played using a keyboard, gamepad or wheel, another first. I've purchased everyone of Geoff Crammond's games starting with World Circuit back in '92.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:
pk500 wrote:Good point on failures, Rod. No console game has simulated that well, even if mechanical failures occur far less frequently than even 20 years ago in all forms of racing.
Grand Prix 4 was light years ahead of it's time and still today there are racing sims that still have not pulled off what that racing game did including the AI. Better yet the game was designed to be played using a keyboard, gamepad or wheel, another first. I've purchased everyone of Geoff Crammond's games starting with World Circuit back in '92.
Sounds a lot like Richard Burns Rally. Still the best rally game ever, and it's not that close, and the game was released in 2004.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

New site design for Team VVV, which I think has emerged as the best site on the Web for racing gaming:

https://www.teamvvv.com/