Racing Sim Thread, Part II

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Racing Sim Thread, Part II

Post by fanatic »

Great impressions.

I might have to give this one a look based on:

1. How Driveclub sparked my interest in bikes.
2. My affinity for games that just put you against the road and the clock (i.e. rally games). There's something nice about not having to share a beautiful track with others (whether it be humans or AI).
3. My surprising boredom of arcade racers (which I've typically loved). I guess I'm now gravitating to races that actually mean something and require a lot of concentration. As much as I've enjoyed games like FH3, the low stakes approach to every race made the game a bit stale for me.

I noticed that in videos of Isle of Man that the windshield seems to get very dirty as the race progresses (almost unrealistically so). Has it been an issue for you guys at all?

Looking forward to playing this one.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

I could read novels like that all day, Terry. Great impressions.

Thanks especially for feedback on different bikes. I'm such a Bruce Anstey fan that I mounted his CBR from the moment I bought the game and really haven't tried anything else. I must do that.

You are SO right about the sense of speed. I use the track line -- who the hell DOESN'T in this game; what a masochist! -- and there are times when I can't even see the line on the road when ripping on a long straight under a canopy of trees. My butt cheeks literally pucker due to the pixels flying past, the engine screaming and the wind howling at gale force. And I'm on the OG Xbox One; I can't imagine how well this game runs on the X.

As I told Teal last night when we played The Division, I played the EA Access free trial of Burnout Paradise Remastered last night. That game always was a reference standard for sense of speed in racing games for me. Well, hot damn: Burnout Paradise feels slow compared to some of the straights on the Snaefell Mountain course in Isle of Man TT.

Glad you're on the Mountain with us, Terry. You'll give us all a target to which to aspire but probably never reach. Paging GB_Simo! Adam, are you in the house? :)
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

I obviously haven't played it as much as the other guys, but I noticed it---but I don't know how unrealistic it would be. If you're doing 200mph on a motorcycle, bugs aren't going to have time to get out of the way. It hasn't reached a level of distraction where it makes me screw up, but I notice the smears are there. Combined with the wind (my surround sound ends up sounding like I'm in a hurricane when I hit top speed) and sense of speed in the game, the bugs just add to the sense of immersion, IMO.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

fanatic wrote:Great impressions.

I might have to give this one a look based on:

1. How Driveclub sparked my interest in bikes.
2. My affinity for games that just put you against the road and the clock (i.e. rally games). There's something nice about not having to share a beautiful track with others (whether it be humans or AI).
3. My surprising boredom of arcade racers (which I've typically loved). I guess I'm now gravitating to races that actually mean something and require a lot of concentration. As much as I've enjoyed games like FH3, the low stakes approach to every race made the game a bit stale for me.

I noticed that in videos of Isle of Man that the windshield seems to get very dirty as the race progresses (almost unrealistically so). Has it been an issue for you guys at all?

Looking forward to playing this one.
Fanatic:

There are mass start races if you want them. But when you race TT style, bikes start at 30-second intervals, I believe, not two minutes like the WRC. So you will periodically see and pass other bikes -- and maybe get passed! -- during a full TT run or even a one-lap run of the Mountain. But you won't see big packs dicing for position. So yeah, it's much more like a rally game in that sense.

The windshield does get dirty. That's what happens in real life, too. But teams have tear-offs on helmet visors and windscreens in the real TT for the pit stop. I'm hoping Kylotonn inserts that feature into a future patch.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

Thanks Terry/PK!

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

fanatic wrote:Thanks Terry/PK!
My pleasure. There also is Time Trial mode in which you're the only bike on track if you're looking for that pure rally-style experience. I use the Time Trial mode when I'm trying to go for personal lap records.

But funny enough, I set a personal lap record for the Tyrone Track last night during a three-lap mass start race! :)

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

pk500 wrote:As I told Teal last night when we played The Division, I played the EA Access free trial of Burnout Paradise Remastered last night. That game always was a reference standard for sense of speed in racing games for me. Well, hot damn: Burnout Paradise feels slow compared to some of the straights on the Snaefell Mountain course in Isle of Man TT.
Ditto. I tried Burnout Paradise, and lasted a few minutes. However, I spent way too much time in TTIOM, when I was supposed to be doing other stuff. Not good.
pk500 wrote:Paging GB_Simo! Adam, are you in the house? :)
Didn't Adam sell his XB1? Or am I mis-remembering reading something....I thought he ditched the XBox a while back.

One other thing I found in my tests yesterday--"Noon" race time gave me a better view of the upcoming track, and the racing line seemed to jump out at me more. Could be a personal thing, but the morning races I was doing got a little dark and muddied through some of those sections, whereas the noonday sun beating down through those canopies tends to light up the racing line like runway lights.

AcemanPR
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by AcemanPR »

I caved. Since there are no places that show this in stock, I ordered it on Amazon (same price as Best Buy with my Prime Membership) and guaranteed to get it on Saturday. This will be the first motorcycle game I've played since MotoGP 08 or something like that, so it should be interesting. Don't expect me to threaten the top of the leaderboard anytime soon. :lol:

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Yep, I always set my race time to noon, too, Terry. Provides the best visibility. To be fair, though, the lighting in this game is sublime and realistic. Just watch some of the videos from IOM TT runs in the morning or afternoon on cloudy days, and the "HOLY F*CK" factor soars even higher.

I think I'll try the same assist setup as you, Terry. Low on everything except for medium on wheelie control. I'm on medium for everything now -- the default settings -- but I'm curious if reducing the assists increases speed and provides more feel, the case with many racing games. The feel is fine with the default settings, but more feel and speed always are better!

I'll also admit I'm being a bit of a p*ssy by using an auto tranny and combined brakes. I have switched to manual tranny for all other console racing games in the last six months, but this game requires so much concentration just to stay on the road that I'm using auto. I'm sure manual generates more speed, and I'll get to the point where I can use it. But not yet. :)

Unsure when or if I'll get to the point where I'm using separate controls for front or rear brake. I did that with MotoGP on the original Xbox, but that game was freaking Mario Kart compared to this! :)

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

AcemanPR wrote:I caved. Since there are no places that show this in stock, I ordered it on Amazon (same price as Best Buy with my Prime Membership) and guaranteed to get it on Saturday. This will be the first motorcycle game I've played since MotoGP 08 or something like that, so it should be interesting. Don't expect me to threaten the top of the leaderboard anytime soon. :lol:
Dude, you'll love it. Such a brilliant game.

It's funny: Some reviewers and potential purchasers have bemoaned the lack of tracks and bikes compared to Ride 2 or car games like Forza or Project Cars. I could care less.

The thrill and challenge of trying to achieve a personal best on the Mountain course will provide me with endless replay value. And the fictional tracks are all solid or better. Plus, as Terry said, there is a real performance difference in every bike that adds to replay value and appeal.

The review at Eurogamer -- probably the site I respect most for reviews -- said the game didn't have a lot of bikes or tracks but still rated the title as Recommended (Silver medal) on its rating scale because the thrill and challenge of riding the Mountain course was a triumphant achievement in gaming worthy of praise.

This game is another example of how Kylotonn has hit on a winning formula for racing games recently. Both WRC 7 and IOM TT are pretty easy to pick up but very hard to master, with plenty of latitude in assists to accommodate players of all skill levels. It takes an hour or two of IOM TT to learn the handling model and how to keep the bike under control. But keeping the thing on track and squeezing every millisecond out of every lap is a real challenge.

LOVE it.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

TCrouch wrote:
pk500 wrote:Paging GB_Simo! Adam, are you in the house? :)
Didn't Adam sell his XB1? Or am I mis-remembering reading something....I thought he ditched the XBox a while back.
I did, about a month ago. Still got the PS4, though - I've been trying to hold off for a sale but you're killing me here...
XBox Live and PSN Gamertag: theycallhimsim

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Resistance is futile, mate. Quid well spent! :)

Team VVV reported IOM TT is the second-largest selling game in the UK over the last week. People are catching on that this game is an underground sleeper hit.

https://www.teamvvv.com/en/news/comment ... -UK-charts

Really stoked for Big Ben and Kylotonn, especially since I read an interview with the head of Kylotonn recently in which he said the company was focusing more on realism starting with WRC 7 and IOM TT. The formula is working.

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

I have some gift vouchers burning a hole in my pocket and just tried to reserve a copy online to pick up tomorrow. I now understand why I can't find one. That chart position, for such a niche title, is astonishing.

Bear in mind too that the UK charts are for physical sales only and that GTA5 is a popular pack-in game for console bundles, which count towards these figures. That's an incredible performance.
XBox Live and PSN Gamertag: theycallhimsim

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

pk500 wrote:I'll also admit I'm being a bit of a p*ssy by using an auto tranny and combined brakes.
I started with separated brakes, but I went combined, too, after one-too-many low-siding crashes trying to get into a corner. If I had dual analog brakes, I could *maybe* do that (but concentration would be a problem). Having a digital button for one of the brakes doesn't work for me, though. I think you get used to the shifting so easily (and it really makes the course easier to navigate), that your time lost is almost guaranteed to be auto-tranny.

I come up to those not-quite-flat-out corners and can quickly drop to 5th and gain torque on exit. I know I can dump down to 2nd or 3rd on those tight left/right sections, and I don't have to worry about slowing down TOO much to wait for the CPU to figure out I want to downshift.

I'd personally recommend sticking with the combined brake, but use the manual tranny and watch the seconds/minutes evaporate.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Will do, man. Time to take off my dress. :) Thanks for the advice.

Course memory will help a lot. I'm finding the more times I run the Mountain course, the more I realize there are a ton of spots where breathing the throttle is all that's needed to turn the course marker from blood red to safe yellow.

Example: There are very few places in the open stretch climbing, reaching and descending the Mountain where you need to use much brake at all, as your time proves you already know, Terry!

Fast, flowing, furious, glorious.

One other key point of this game I must deduce: I'm not sure yet whether I'm faster at this game sober or f*cked up. I'm usually pure sh*t with racing games while altered. But IOM TT has such unreal pucker factor that I may have fewer inhibitions and a better sense of rhythm when f*cked up.

Further testing to come. "I'm getting wasted tonight in the name of research, honey!" :) :) :)

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I'm definitely staying the course, holding out for the Steam version later this month. :)

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Now I'm really confused.

I took your advice, Terry, and switched to manual tranny last night in IOM TT. Felt GREAT. More control. Better pull out of corners. I also switched to your assist package, with all assists on low except for anti-wheelie on medium. Better tire and grip feel.

I only fell five times on the Mountain course with that setup. I didn't dare look at the timer, as I would lose concentration. But I thought I was on a hell of a run -- and it ended up being nearly a minute slower than my best.

But full disclosure: I also was altered. :) So probably too many experiments at once. Manual tranny, less assists, more inebriation. :)

I'm hoping my altered state was the culprit because the manual tranny-low assist combo felt GREAT. More testing -- sober! -- to come. :)

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Good news: Kylotonn confirmed it is working on patches for IOM TT.

http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/t ... ng.148468/

I would like to see tweaks, not an overhaul. This game is f*cking MEGA right now!

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

Grabbed this game yesterday. Wow... What a cool experience.

Like others have said, the sense of speed is incredible. I've never played a motorcycle game with the dash cam but it really works here.

Playing with the elite controller and have the long left analogue stick attached... Seems to work well for those slight movements.

The scenery is beautiful as well. The graphics have that sense of realism.

Great game :D

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Another animal for the IOM TT zoo! Dig it! Glad you're enjoying the game, fanatic. :)

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

pk500 wrote:Now I'm really confused.

I took your advice, Terry, and switched to manual tranny last night in IOM TT. Felt GREAT. More control. Better pull out of corners. I also switched to your assist package, with all assists on low except for anti-wheelie on medium. Better tire and grip feel.

I only fell five times on the Mountain course with that setup. I didn't dare look at the timer, as I would lose concentration. But I thought I was on a hell of a run -- and it ended up being nearly a minute slower than my best.

But full disclosure: I also was altered. :) So probably too many experiments at once. Manual tranny, less assists, more inebriation. :)

I'm hoping my altered state was the culprit because the manual tranny-low assist combo felt GREAT. More testing -- sober! -- to come. :)
LOL! Guaranteed that had something to do with it. I had a run going last night that I was amazed at. I think the first 8 or 10 minutes were almost-flawless...for my abilities. I was a good minute ahead of my best run less than halfway through the course. Every transition felt great, every corner was just-on-the-edge-of-control fast with the rear end slipping and sliding, front wheel picking up. It was incredible. You know the feeling...you hit a corner EXACTLY like you want to, and it's a sense of accomplishment. All of a sudden you hit 6, 7, or 8 in a row, and you are in this zen-like state of elevated consciousness...or some other lame analogy.

Then I sort of fell apart on the back end, and ended up falling probably 6 or 7 times overall.

Even with the implosion, I made it into the 18 minute bracket (barely, I think it was 18:58). What I wouldn't give to put all sections together in a single run. I think, as you get used to the controls and learn the course more, it becomes even MORE enjoyable.

And I agree 100% with fanatic--the longer stick on the Elite Controller is a Godsend for Motorcycle games.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Sounds like you and I need to combine our skills, Terry.

I'm usually golden once I clear the Ramsey Hairpin and head up and down the Mountain. I've even figured out how to navigate that incredibly slow section with the roundabout right near the finish. I have maybe one or two falls on that entire section on most runs, tops.

But there's something about the first two-thirds of the run that still freaks me out. Probably the sense of confinement created by the buildings, curbs and canopy of trees. I'm fine once I'm in the open on the Mountain.

Guess it makes sense. I bet those also are the freakiest parts of the circuit for the real riders, for whom my admiration and respect grow every single time I play this game.

Something tells me Velocity may have a few more viewers of its Isle of Man telecasts this May and June from the DSP Forum. Rock on! :)

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Big time. I'd "heard" of it, but had no idea what it was really about. I've been scouring Youtube the past few days to educate myself, just thinking "guys can't possibly do it this insanely in real life"...and then realize they do.

Some video I was watching was just one awesome sequence after another...then suddenly a clip of a guy who forgot which part of the track he was on, and went HEAD FIRST into one of those buildings when he misjudged the turn. Made me sick to my stomach.

There's no "sort of fall" in those sections. If you fall, you're dead, I'm guessing. It feels like the closest thing to what I presume the thrill of watching old Gladiators was like...and the riders all have balls to match those warriors, I'm guessing.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Yeah, there aren't many "dust yourself off and get up" crashes in open-road motorcycle racing, especially on circuits through residential and business areas like the Mountain course.

Fan favorite Guy Martin -- an absolute nutter who sadly isn't in the game -- crashed into a stone wall at the fast Ballagarey corner in 2010. His bike burst into flames, but Martin remained conscious, suffering a punctured lung and fractured vertebrae. Martin also crashed hard in last year's TT. He is the cat of open-road motorcycle racing -- dude has nine lives.

Conor Cummins had a HUGE crash on the Mountain in 2010 at the TT. Badly injured but returned to the TT two years later and still races. He's in the game.

Ian Hutchinson -- also in the game -- suffered leg injuries so severe in a crash in 2010 that doctors wanted to amputate his leg. He refused, rehabbed and is back racing even though he walks with a severe limp. Hutchy -- one of my favorites along with Guy Martin and Bruce Anstey -- had a fearsome crash last year on the Mountain, suffering a broken leg. Check out how he nearly was hit by another bike when he was on the ground.

Joey Dunlop, the greatest TT rider of all time, was killed in a crash in a road race in Estonia. His brother Robert was killed in another crash. Michael Dunlop, the outright Mountain course lap record holder who is in the game, is Robert's son and Joey's nephew.

Terry and everyone else captivated by this game, I cannot recommend finding and watching the incredible Isle of Man TT documentary, "Closer to the Edge." It focuses on Guy Martin, who is so charismatic and idiosyncratic. Thank God for subtitles, as Martin might be the toughest English speaker to understand that I've ever heard!

The cinematography and production of the film are top-shelf, all the way. Here's a YouTube link to the full movie:

I've probably seen this documentary three or four times. NEVER tire of it. Breathtaking. What balls.