Racing Sim Thread, Part II

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Bumpity to avoid the no posts bug.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

DChaps wrote:Circuit Park Zandvoort is ready for purchase in iRacing:

http://members.iracing.com/membersite/m ... ?trkid=147
Phenomenal! When are we running this baby? :)
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

Gurantsu
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gurantsu »

Thanks for the link PK, I'll definitely snag them (although I do have DTR 2 on cd somewhere).

I always liked Zandvoort, I'll have to check it out.
2319!

Gamertag: "Gurantsu"

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

This was posted in the iRacing forums, but since you need to be a paying member to get there, thought I would post it here as well.

Logitech G25 Wheel for $189.99 w/ free shipping

Use code: logi_31910 where it asks you for promo codes and the price will drop from $299.99 to $189.99

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/promo ... us,en&ci=0

This is a pretty good deal, but I am wondering if it is worth holding out for a G27. I am still using my old MOMO Red, but it has seen better days and I am curious as to how much better iRacing would feel with a 900 degrees rotation wheel.

PS - Don't know exactly what that promo code is, but it does not work with the G27.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

DChaps wrote:This is a pretty good deal, but I am wondering if it is worth holding out for a G27. I am still using my old MOMO Red, but it has seen better days and I am curious as to how much better iRacing would feel with a 900 degrees rotation wheel.
Don:

I met Shaun Cole from the Inside Sim Racing Web show through a common friend, and we talked on the phone for 90 minutes last week. Really nice, interesting guy.

One of the questions I asked when picking his brain was: "Is the G27 that much better than the G25? Worth the dough?" His almost instant response was, "No, just go with the G25."

That's a nice deal for a G25.

You're not running a 900-degree wheel? What are you using now? An old Momo?

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

pk500 wrote:I met Shaun Cole from the Inside Sim Racing Web show through a common friend, and we talked on the phone for 90 minutes last week. Really nice, interesting guy.

One of the questions I asked when picking his brain was: "Is the G27 that much better than the G25? Worth the dough?" His almost instant response was, "No, just go with the G25."

That's a nice deal for a G25.

You're not running a 900-degree wheel? What are you using now? An old Momo?
That is cool that you met Shaun. Seems like a genuinely passionate guy about sim racing and racing in general.

That is interesting info from him on the G25, may just go ahead and pull the trigger.

Good old MOMO Red is what I still use going on like 8-9 years now I think. I love this wheel, but it's force and calibration are pretty sketchy now, so it's probably time to put her in my son's hands. :)

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Holy sh*te, I can't imagine running iRacing at anything less than 900 degrees rotation!

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

$5 iRacing One Month Trial

No more excuses. If you have not tried out iRacing, it's just $5 for a one month subscription to see if you like it and/or determine if your system can handle it. I am going to schedule a poker night soon that will use the default content, so for $5 you could be all set to go and run some DSP iRacing.

http://www.iracing.com/5-dollar-promo/
Start racing today and save over 60%!
$5 Dollar trial offer from iRacing.com. Here is what you get with your one-month trial membership:

•Unlimited racing, 24/7, for one full month
•3 Cars modeled flawlessly after their real-world counterparts
•7 Tracks with 14 different variations that have been laser scanned on-site to provide millimeter accuracy
•Rookie road racing and oval racing license

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:G27 $149.99 at Bestbuy.com 8O

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Logitech+-+ ... &cp=1&lp=1
Holy sh*t: I need to look for some coin in the couch cushions. That's an incredible price.

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

Whats the difference in the newer versions? Did the improve the clunking on the shifter or anything?

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Jimmydeicide wrote:Whats the difference in the newer versions? Did the improve the clunking on the shifter or anything?
Positives: LED tachometer behind wheel, more buttons on the wheel face.
Negatives: No more sequential shifter, which is bullsh*t.

Otherwise, pedals and wheel are identical to G25. I wouldn't be surprised Logitech was forced to discount this wheel because it's not selling. The "improvements" of this wheel aren't worth the extra cost compared to the trusty G25.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I bought one of these Logitech wheels when Gran Turismo 3 first came out. I didn't like two things about it:

1) The gear sound and the gear feel when the force feedback kicked in.

2) There was no way to place it on your lap. You need a desk or some type of racing sim seat.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:2) There was no way to place it on your lap. You need a desk or some type of racing sim seat.
Rod:

It's a sim wheel. Fastening it to something besides your thighs is implied.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I remember someone had made one with a thigh belt. I don't remember who that was.

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

Damn, it was an online only sale and they are all sold out. I have now missed out on 2 good Logitech wheel deals in the last week. Crap...

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

Rodster wrote:..... 2) There was no way to place it on your lap. You need a desk or some type of racing sim seat.
If you have couch or chair, I have found that a standard utility table works perfect for a wheel. Plus it can work as a portable laptop/computer table, TV tray, etc. They are super sturdy and fully adjustable. The one I picked up can slide way under the couch so that it makes for a very comfortable cockpit racing position without any hassle, especially when I use a monitor for my Xbox 360, as opposed to the TV.

Here is a link to one at Office Depot, but I found mine at a garage sale for like $40. Don't pay the $100-$200 you might find for one new. I will post some pictures of how versatile this thing is for my entertainment purposes. Not the prettiest piece of furniture, but easily stored away. One of my best "gaming" purchases.

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/3 ... able/#tab1[/img]

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Don I actually prefer to use a gamepad controller. :)

Nozzleman_216
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Nozzleman_216 »

Guys, didn't feel like reading through the thread as i have been out of PC racing for about 4 years.

So how is this IRacing thing? How does it work etc............ Am I going to need to buy a new PC? Mine is a few years old (like 5) and haven't raced on it since Rfactor released.

IF this is the real deal I may go buy a new wheel and get back into things :)
XBL: Nozzleman 216
PSN: Nozzleman_216

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

Here is my quick summary:

PC Specs: If your PC was top of the line 5 years ago, then you may be ok. Graphics wise iRacing is not cutting edge. I think it is serviceable, and it can look great if you have a machine that can handle all details maxed, but it is basically an advanced NR2003 graphic wise. Don't expect Dirt 2 or Need for Speed Shift. Physics is really the issue. You need a good processor, more than you need a good graphics card.

iRacing is online only. No AI. You can test and time trial by yourself, but everything else is racing online. It has a very comprehensive licensing system where you start out as a rookie, for at least 4 weeks, and you must have clean racing to move up. It can take a long time to get from a rookie license to an "A" license depending on how much you race. I have been on iRacing for almost 2 years and am only a "C" class, but that is where I deserve to be.

iRacing can be expensive, depending on what you want to race and how you race. If you are used to games like WOW, it is not much more expensive than that from a monthly rate, but if you want all the tracks and cars it will cost you a few hundred dollars.

I currently have all content and feel it was money well spent because the track modeling and car physics are the best in the business. This is why I am hooked on iRacing. I loved rFactor, GTR2, and GT Legends, but they pale in comparison to iRacing tracks and cars with a few exceptions (Virtual LM Tracks and Historic Mod for example).

They are currently running a special for $5 for one month, which to me is a no brainer. You can determine if it will run well on your system, and if you like it. It takes about a month of rookie racing to get to the next license level anyway so there is no need to buy anything more. The $5 will give you:

http://www.iracing.com/5-dollar-promo/

$5 Dollar trial offer from iRacing.com. Here is what you get with your one-month trial membership:

* Unlimited racing, 24/7, for one full month
* 3 Cars modeled flawlessly after their real-world counterparts
* 7 Tracks with 14 different variations that have been laser scanned on-site to provide millimeter accuracy
* Rookie road racing and oval racing license

Legends Ford '34 Coupe
Pontiac Solstice
Spec Racer Ford

Charlotte Motor Speedway
Laguna Seca
Lanier National Speedway
Lime Rock Park
Oxford Plains Speedway
South Boston Speedway
Stafford Motor Speedway
Summit Point Motorsports Park

System Requirements can be found here:

http://www.iracing.com/membership/system-requirements/

A nice iRacing wiki can be found here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IRacing.com

The other positive is that at least every 12 weeks (each season is 12 weeks long), they release a new update with new features, bug fixes, new content, etc. It is continually improving.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

iRacing should use Don's description in its FAQ. Spot-on, man!

Put it this way: iRacing is the only sim I drive now. No other racing sims can compare, especially in terms of physics, track modeling and constant upgrades and updates. The online racing community also is top-notch, too. Clean and helpful, for the most part.

I run iRacing on a 2007 IBM laptop with these specs:

Centrino Duo 2.16 gHz
2 GB RAM
128 MB VRAM ATI Radeon Mobility X1400

I get 50 FPS at all tracks except for the Indy road course. Framerates may dip into the high 30s and low 40s in heavy traffic. Very serviceable.

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

Well, I have been to 4 different Best Buy's today and no go on the Logitech G27 for me. There are posts all over the iRacing forums of people who found them in stores and the $150 price is what rang up.

Gurantsu
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gurantsu »

I may swing by my local Best Buy tomorrow to see if they have them.
2319!

Gamertag: "Gurantsu"

Nozzleman_216
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Nozzleman_216 »

Can friends be included in trials and practices? I mean can 5 or so DSP guys get together just to turn laps for fun?

Is there any system for all of us to "race" together? It sure is looking more appealing right now. Just need a new wheel and maybe a little help for my pc.
XBL: Nozzleman 216
PSN: Nozzleman_216

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Nozzleman_216 wrote:Can friends be included in trials and practices? I mean can 5 or so DSP guys get together just to turn laps for fun?

Is there any system for all of us to "race" together? It sure is looking more appealing right now. Just need a new wheel and maybe a little help for my pc.
You can purchase a "hosted session" for $3 that can be password-protected, creating a DSP race or practice.