OT: PC Gaming Hardware Thread

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

pigpen81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: OT: PC Gaming Hardware Thread

Post by pigpen81 »

My ACER laptops graphics have gone whack again. I updated the Nvidia drivers but to no avail.

Here is what it looks like:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Uo33ya ... sp=sharing

Any ideas on how to fix?

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

pigpen81 wrote:My ACER laptops graphics have gone whack again. I updated the Nvidia drivers but to no avail.

Here is what it looks like:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Uo33ya ... sp=sharing

Any ideas on how to fix?
I would try backing down on those settings. I noticed you have it set to "quality" so that's going to push the card. I would chose a lower preset setting "let the 3D application decide" and see if that helps. You could also try enabling vertical sync.

Does the problem happen immediately or after the laptop has been on for awhile?

pigpen81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pigpen81 »

It happened once before but I reset the CPU and it fixed it.

I reset again last night and it this time it did not fix. I did try the other settings and I get the same results.

Thanks for the help!

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

If it's a heat related issue it will happen after the laptop has been on for a bit. Check the vent exhaust and see if there's dust accumulated, if so that could cause the temps to rise in the laptop and produce that problem again if it's heat related. For a heat related issue you can downclock the CPU by selecting a low power profile and lower the max CPU settings. I assume you're on Windows 10? If so are you on the latest Build 1803?

You could also try uninstalling the Nvidia driver and see if the problem goes away.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

FYI...this Dreamcast collection on Steam is normally 29.99...on sale through Fanatical (yes a legit site) for 3.99. I bought it and it worked perfectly.

Sonic Adventure DX
Crazy Taxi
Space Channel 5
Sega Bass Fishing
Jet Set Radio
Nights Into Dreams

https://store.steampowered.com/sub/116763/

https://www.fanatical.com/en/game/dream ... ection-new

Looks like there is about 9 hours remaining on the deal. It’s now 11pm PST.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Those new RTX Nvidia cards are certainly pricey, $1200 for the RTX 2080 Ti although it does have monster specs, 11GB of DDR6. I was watching some of the Nvidia YT video's on ray trace graphics and did not see the big deal or pull to buy one.

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

Rodster wrote:Those new RTX Nvidia cards are certainly pricey, $1200 for the RTX 2080 Ti although it does have monster specs, 11GB of DDR6. I was watching some of the Nvidia YT video's on ray trace graphics and did not see the big deal or pull to buy one.
Ditto. I'll sit on the fence this time as my GTX 1080 TI is just fine for what I play.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

DivotMaker wrote:
Rodster wrote:Those new RTX Nvidia cards are certainly pricey, $1200 for the RTX 2080 Ti although it does have monster specs, 11GB of DDR6. I was watching some of the Nvidia YT video's on ray trace graphics and did not see the big deal or pull to buy one.
Ditto. I'll sit on the fence this time as my GTX 1080 TI is just fine for what I play.
Hell, my regular GTX 1080 plays everything I want on ultra at 3440x1440...so, why exactly would I drop another grand on a video upgrade?

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

The cards look great but not only would this cost a lot to upgrade then you need a 4k monitor that does HDR or you're seeing little benefit.

It's too expensive an investment at this point.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by F308GTB »

DivotMaker wrote:
Ditto +1. And actually my 1080ti is probably bottlenecked somewhat by my cpu.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

It's been 7 yrs since I built my rig i7-3770K but I'm considering an upgrade, damn MS Flight Simulator. It's down to an i9-9900K ($540) or a i7-9700K ($350). Which would you guys go with? I'm waiting for the new Nvidia RTX 30xx series cards to drop. Would you guys drop 16GB or 32GB of RAM? I'm looking at DDR4 4400mhz sticks.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

What makes you think the 3770k isn't up to the task if you drop in some more ram and an updated video card? To me, the processor is the last thing you should worry about and you def don't need to spend 500+ on one to get the performance you need. Put that money into the video card and you'll get much more bang for the buck. My 3 year old 6700k, 1080gts and 32gb of ram is more than enough to play virtually any game on ultra graphics...so bumping up the video card should run MSFS no problem.

And that's not even to mention that the Ryzen stuff is getting much better reviews than I thought. If I was going to buy a system now it would be Ryzen based for sure.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I'm with you DB. The only reason I was looking at an upgrade was because some of the newer games on Steam require a minimum CPU which is newer than my i7-3770K.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

I'm glad I took you guys advice about focusing on a new GPU for my gaming needs. I just picked up a Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1070 8 GB, ITX on Ebay last week, primarily so I could run Forza 7 on my system, without running into memory leak problems that would only allow me to run one race on my 3 GB GTX 1060, after which the leak problem turned it into a slide show. I'd have to restart the game if wanted to run another race. I loved the force feedback modeling so much better on the PC version, so I figured one day I'd do something about it.

I have an i5-4440 3.1 GHz CPU in my system and with the 8GB 1070, it runs Forza 7 at full detail and 60 FPS at 4K res! I can run race after race with no memory leak problem. I found some new custom settings for my Thrustmaster TX wheel on the official Forza Forums and the look and feel of this game now is entrancing... I'm totally stoked! 8)

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

J_Cauthen wrote:...... I found some new custom settings for my Thrustmaster TX wheel on the official Forza Forums and the look and feel of this game now is entrancing... I'm totally stoked! 8)
Would you mind sharing those? I think we have a very similar setup. Thanks so much!

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

DChaps wrote:
J_Cauthen wrote:...... I found some new custom settings for my Thrustmaster TX wheel on the official Forza Forums and the look and feel of this game now is entrancing... I'm totally stoked! 8)
Would you mind sharing those? I think we have a very similar setup. Thanks so much!
Sure Don, I'll link you to his post so you can see the thread and the good discussion in which it falls, but I'll also post it below. I've made a few changes to what he's got because I like a bit heavier wheel with a little more linearity, but I knew I was close when I tried his values, with the changes he showed in the footnote to his list.

https://forums.forzamotorsport.net/turn ... st_1034287

DOR in Control Panel 720.

VS 55
FFBS 85
ATS 110
MTS 160
PTS 110
RFS 65
WDS 35
CSS 20
WRA 570
SL 46 (slightly deadens the centre and helps smooth your lines, but bigger inputs are better recognised)

You might also try VIB at 90, RFS down to 50, and WDS at 40, which is where I'm at now.

I changed steering linearity to 54, road feel scale to 87, and wheel damper scale to 68 and the centering spring setting to 23. The forces he doesn't mention, I left them at default values. I started with the Thrustmaster TX stock settings and made the custom adjustments from it.

I think what he has is a good starting point, but I'm sure we'll all have our preferences we can dial in from there. I like racing the vintage formula cars and I can already see that I want to narrow the degrees of rotation on the wheel in the base setting from there. I'll spend weeks dialing and tweaking this stuff though, but I'll enjoy every minute of it. 8)

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

I replaced my GTX 970 with a GTX 1660 Super a couple of days ago. That 970 was one hell of a great video card, I almost teared up taking it out of my pc. :D One of my best purchases ever for sure.

I don't play many graphic intensive games on the PC but it's nice to play the current games I have on Ultra settings with the new 1660.
XBL GT: MizzouRah0971

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

MizzouRah wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:55 pm
I replaced my GTX 970 with a GTX 1660 Super a couple of days ago. That 970 was one hell of a great video card, I almost teared up taking it out of my pc. :D One of my best purchases ever for sure.

I don't play many graphic intensive games on the PC but it's nice to play the current games I have on Ultra settings with the new 1660.
Same here with my GTX 780. I can't believe it's still doing a great job 7 yrs later. Most of the newer games I can still run in HIGH settings minus a few tweaks which doesn't impact the look of the game a whole lot. I'm waiting for the new RTX cards to drop and then I may pickup an RTX 2070 Super at a discount.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Rodster wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:12 pm
Same here with my GTX 780. I can't believe it's still doing a great job 7 yrs later. Most of the newer games I can still run in HIGH settings minus a few tweaks which doesn't impact the look of the game a whole lot. I'm waiting for the new RTX cards to drop and then I may pickup an RTX 2070 Super at a discount.
My dream was the 2080.. haha.. this 1660 should get me by for quite some time. The 970 will go into my daughter's pc so she's excited.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I just ordered a GTX 1660 Super from Amazon for $229. The big selling point is the size of the card. It's a mini GTX which should easily fit in my Micro PC I built 7 yrs ago. I still haven't made the leap to 4K so this should do a nice job maxing out my 1080p games.

If you guys spot any Red Flags, let me know, please ! :!:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B081S ... UTF8&psc=1

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Rodster wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:20 pm
I just ordered a GTX 1660 Super from Amazon for $229. The big selling point is the size of the card. It's a mini GTX which should easily fit in my Micro PC I built 7 yrs ago. I still haven't made the leap to 4K so this should do a nice job maxing out my 1080p games.

If you guys spot any Red Flags, let me know, please ! :!:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B081S ... UTF8&psc=1

Nice! I purchased the single fan version.. it's so quiet I can't even tell my pc is on anymore. So far it plays all my Steam games on Ultra settings and smooth as can be.

I thought Geforce Experience would pick up the new card... but it didn't. So do yourself a favor and uninstall the NVIDIA drivers/GF Experience - if you use it. A clean install fixed it for me so just get rid of it all, power off and install your card then install the latest driver.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I went and cancelled my GTX 1660 Amazon order. The PC it was going into died (hardware failure) while trying to update to Windows 10. I suspect it's the PSU "again", 2nd time it has failed. The Gigabyte mobo is pretty outdated and there are virtually NO mobo drivers for that motherboard. I'm now considering moving my 8GB of ram from that PC into my second gaming rig for a total of 16GB and replacing the i5-3570K with the i7-3770K CPU along with the GTX 780. Once I see how games perform running in DX12, will help me decide if I want to drop a GTX 1660.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I decided to buy a new prebuilt PC instead of building it myself. My eyes are not the best at working with small stuff anymore. So I went the Alienware route and based on DB's recommendation and the fact that the recent and upcoming consoles are based on the Ryzen chips, I ordered an AMD spec'd Alienware Aurora R10. Dell was giving a 10% off on top of their instant 15% off. So I saved roughly $350 off the build for a cost of $1179 plus tax. Amazon nor Best Buy could come close to the price. I went with the RTX 2060 instead of the Super because both are listed as 6GB. The RTX 2060 Super is supposed to be 8GB of GDDR6 VRAM and a 256 memory bandwidth. The Dell rep even when I showed him/her the links in the chat said there's no such thing as a RTX 2060 8GB video card.

Anyway, thoughts, let me know what you guys think?

Here are the Specs:

Shipping Material + Placemat
Killer Wi-Fi 6 AX1650 (2x2) and Bluetooth 5.0
Dark Side of the Moon chassis with High-Performance CPU Liquid Cooling and 850W Power Supply
16GB Dual Channel HyperX(TM) FURY DDR4 XMP at 2666MHz
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 6GB GDDR6 (OC Ready)
AMD Ryzen(TM) 7 3700X (8-Core, 32MB L3 Cache, Max Boost Clock of 4.4GHz)
Dell Limited Hardware Warranty Initial Year
No Monthly Subscription
Dell.com Order
US Power Cord
None Required
Microsoft(R) Office 30 Days Trial
Additional Software
AMD Ryzen(TM) 7 Label
Custom Configuration
Safety/Environment and Regulatory Guide (English/French Multi-language)
Wireless Driver for Killer 1650 Card
Wired Multimedia Keyboard (English)
512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD
Windows 10 Home (64bit) English
Optical Mouse MS116AW

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I decided to cancel my order...AGAIN. I'm going to wait to see what the Zen 3 processors are capable of and by that time the Intel i5-10600K should be released and supposedly it could post slightly better numbers than the i7-10700K under certain conditions. I can't believe Intel is still pushing 14nm tech while AMD is selling 7nm.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Rodster wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:49 pm
I decided to cancel my order...AGAIN. I'm going to wait to see what the Zen 3 processors are capable of and by that time the Intel i5-10600K should be released and supposedly it could post slightly better numbers than the i7-10700K under certain conditions. I can't believe Intel is still pushing 14nm tech while AMD is selling 7nm.
Not a computer afficienado in the least, but I do think you can do a little better than a 2060 if you're patient. Probably best to have canceled the order.