OT: PC Gaming Hardware Thread

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

robschina
Mario Mendoza

Re: OT: PC Gaming Hardware Thread

Post by robschina »

If you go to guru3d...forums... Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce... Gsync setup...that will explain everything much better than I can.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Danimal wrote:But you leave your monitor is Gsynch mode all the time? You don't see a dark screen on the desktop or using everyday programs like Word or a web browser?
I don't...and GSync is always enabled on mine.

So what games are out that have great UHD support that you guys have used? I found this site, which is pretty good.

http://www.wsgf.org/mgl?title_op=starts&game_name=A

Just wonder if games like GTA5, which doesn't get a great UHD score, is playable and good looking? Especially since that new mod is coming out soon for the PC.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

I don't see any sort of "dark" stuff on mine, but there's an option in G-Sync to only use it in Fullscreen mode. So if you only want to game with it on, you do that instead of Fullscreen AND windowed.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Somehow, Rayman Origins supports UHD, lol...and it's fantastic.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

LOL go figure. The strangest games support it, while the biggest ones miss the boat.

That's a gorgeous shot. I still dig racing titles for it, like F1:

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

You f***ers are going to get me divorced. I just bought that other monitor now I want this one. Plus I just ordered that f***in chair for about a grand.

Well if I'm single more time to game.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

I already bought F1 for the XB1, so don't know if I'm gonna pay for it again. But yeah, that's awesome! Project Cars looks phenomenal too.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Danimal wrote:You f***ers are going to get me divorced. I just bought that other monitor now I want this one. Plus I just ordered that f***in chair for about a grand.

Well if I'm single more time to game.
That's the way I look at it, lol.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

If you end up single, find a second wife who considers your insane PC tech expenditures better than "running out to bars chasing tail, dropping $25,000 on real race cars, or finding a younger model to marry".

Then you're set! :lol:

Gangrel
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gangrel »

Screw all that monitor and Rift stuff, I want something like this:

gamertag: Ace EZ

Once a Dragon, a Dragon for life!

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

F**********CK. Can't run multiple computers at the same time on the Asus...son of a b*tch. Guess I gotta go back to a different monitor, as I need to run my work PC and my home PC on the same screen.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Tried a few monitors that do the dual screen stuff, and they all suck for the most part. Just gotta deal with switching inputs I guess. That said, now no one has the Asus in stock, so giving the Acer X34 a try. Supposedly the same so we'll see.

Oh yeah, and built a brand new computer, just for fun. LOL. Pops wanted my old one so cut me a check and I upgraded the rest.

Intel i7 6700K
32gb Gskill TridentZ 3200mhz Ram
MSI Gaming M5 Z170A
MSI Gaming X GTX 1080
Thermaltake 750W PSU
480 GB Patriot SSD
LG BluRay Drive
Thermaltake Core V31 Case

Yeah, I should be good for a while. Needed a little more umph to push these games at 3440x1440...got a little iffy on the GTX980...so yeah. Go big I guess.

And yes, I realize I talked down on MSI boards/cards, but in all the research I did, they were consistently getting really high marks, especially w/ their video cards, so I like to match up vendors in that regard. My dad's old computer had an MSI board in it and it was one of the best running computers I ever had (he always gets my hand me downs) so I guess it's time to go back to go old Microstar. So far, extremely happy.

Played about an hours worth of games tonight w/ the Division, Dirt and Project Cars and I never EVER heard the fans spin up on the video card or processor. That's impressive. My last PC (i7 3770k, 16gb Corsair, 980 GTX) would be quite loud after about fifteen minutes. So clearly I'm getting better power draw and cooler running gear. Only cost me like 1500 bucks. LOL.

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

Nice rig.... :wink:

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Yeah, that's definitely no slouch. Funny about the MSI's, though...my 1080s are MSIs, as well.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

TCrouch wrote:Yeah, that's definitely no slouch. Funny about the MSI's, though...my 1080s are MSIs, as well.
They got such good reviews, especially in their silent operation, figured I should give it a try. ;) I'm not afraid to eat crow. This machine is so much quieter than my last one...can't even tell it's on. Right now I'm re-installing windows on the old machine to give it to my dad and it's annoying me, lol...and it's not like it was loud.

Really happy w/ this upgrade so far...and the X34 I got on Saturday...champ. Less light bleed than the Asus had so I'm happy. Essentially the same though.

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

I am trying to build a new gaming PC for under $1000 that can run an Oculus Rift with DiRT Rally, iRacing, Project Cars, Assetto Corsa, Forza Apex and Forza Horizon 3, RaceRoom Racing Experience, etc. In my research, I came accross a pre-built PC at Micro Center (one down the street from me), that is getting good reviews, and seems like it may be a better deal than one I could put together myself. I would add a WD Black 2TB for additional storage. Is this too good to be true, and is it unrealistic for me to think I can build a PC that will run the Rift acceptably with racing sims for $1000?

http://www.microcenter.com/single_produ ... 075CECD9B9

http://pcpartpicker.com/forums/topic/18 ... p-computer

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI Z170A PC MATE ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
Storage: Silicon Power Silm S55 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 1070 8GB AMP! Edition Video Card
Case: Zalman Z3 Plus ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64-bit

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility.

I was running Oculus on a Titan X, with an older processor at a decent frame rate. If you are comfortable turning down a few settings, you'll be fine.

The problem you'll run into is that the Oculus is lower resolution than a monitor, so it will look very blurry at first. The "fix" for that is to render anywhere from 1.2 to 2.0 pixels per display pixel, effectively "supersampling" the image and making it clearer.

That is something you likely won't be able to do on that rig, but you won't lose the incredible depth perception and immersion that the Rift provides.

I sort of wonder why they only have a 500W PSU in there, but with a low-draw on the 1070, I guess that can be explained.

One of the reviews on that site mentioned running the Vive on there without issues, so if they can do that, you should be fine. I don't see anything that makes me go "no way this could handle Oculus" in the config.

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

Thanks for the feedback. I am going from a very old 19in. 1280x1024 HP monitor, so I am hoping it will not seem to be to much of a decrease in resolution for the VR. I am hitting the max of my budget already, unfortunately, but is there a decent 1080p monitor that you would recommend for under $200? There are tons of options out there, and my guess is that just about any will be a significant upgrade. Thanks again for the feedback.

Of course, now I'm looking at this option even though it is completely out of my budget.

$1,599.99

http://www.microcenter.com/product/4676 ... p_Computer

Intel Core i7-6700K Processor 4.0GHz
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB GDDR5
ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K6 Systemboard
16GB DDR4-3200 RAM
500GB Solid State Drive
2TB 7,200RPM Hard Drive
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Asus 24x DVDRW Drive
Multi-in-One Memory Card Reader
Killer E2400 Network
802.11ac Wireless

The PowerSpec G426 desktop computer is a powerful gaming machine featuring the Intel Core i7-6700K Unlocked processor, Asrock Z170 Fatal1ty System Board, a 2TB Storage Drive plus a 500GB Solid State Boot Drive, and an Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB discrete video card to provide an incredible experience playing the most demanding games in the market today!

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Something I learned years ago with PC upgrades....save for the one you want, rather than settling for something else.

Granted, if you've been on a monitor that long, you may not have that problem, but when I KNOW there's something better out there that I could have waited another month or two for and pass on it--it bugs me forever.

I don't have a lot of experience in budget monitors, but when you have a 1070, something with G-Sync and 144Hz is really worth it. That's why the Asus VG248QE is such a steal at $250.

https://www.amazon.com/VG248QE-1920x108 ... B00B2HH7G0

But if you've been running with old school non-vsync and have had screen tearing forever, you might not think it's worth it. So much of this is subjective.

But if you don't care about higher refresh (which would be a shame if you're running a 1070, in my opinion), then you can find cheap options like the Acer R240HY, which is on a lot of lists as "best budget monitor"):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0148 ... LPMHWZPHSR

Hope it helps. In my experience, figuring out a way to come up with another $550 is a hell of a lot more satisfying than going as cheap as possible and noticing almost immediately why it was cheaper.

:EDIT: Come to think of it, I've got THREE of these sitting on a shelf that didn't work out for me, but I'd give you one for cheap (used about 3 days lol).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DD ... UTF8&psc=1

So if you scratch around and find the extra money for the rig, I can help you out with the monitor.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

TCrouch wrote:Something I learned years ago with PC upgrades....save for the one you want, rather than settling for something else.
This 100%. If you don't have the extra money now, just wait a few months and get it together. Nothing worse than wanting to upgrade after you buy new gear and you're not completely happy with it due to framerate limitations or whatever. If you're going to spend a grand on a new rig, it should be able to do EVERYTHING you want at the resolution you want. If that means you ahve to go up to 1200-1500, then just save the money to do it. And remember, the money you spend now, you WON'T have to spend in 2 years. You'll be able to go 3-4 years instead before the next upgrade.

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

TCrouch wrote:Something I learned years ago with PC upgrades....save for the one you want, rather than settling for something else.
Also agree 100%. TCrouch and db are exactly right.

I went 7 years between PC upgrades and simply waited until the hardware and pricing got where I wanted them to get and finally pulled the trigger. Don't let impatience trigger regret.

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

Thanks for all the advice guys, I am going to hold out for the Intel Core i7-6700K Processor 4.0GHz with the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 since my main reason for upgrading is racing sims with the Rift.

Terry, Naples, anyone else with the Rift: are you still enjoying the Rift for racing sims? I know I asked this a couple months ago, but just curious if the novelty has worn off and/or have you experienced anything new positive or negative.

Also, I am still a little puzzled on the monitors. I know I should get 144 and 1 ms, and if I have a 1080 go for the Gsync, correct? However, these things are damn expensive, and they do seem to have a lot of setup issues and different issues per game. I would still like to have a three monitor setup, but it sounds like some of the 1080/Gysnc setups will not allow for all 3 monitors to run at 144 refresh rate. I also have some space limitations so 24in was initially the largest monitor I was going for. I was looking at the budget monitors Terry suggested (see link), but they are not Gsync enabled. Cheapest Gsync I can find is over $300. However, will I really care about 3 monitors for racing sims if I am using the Rift exclusively? I was looking at some of these, but none are Gsync

http://www.microcenter.com/product/4637 ... ng_Monitor

http://www.microcenter.com/product/4609 ... ng_Monitor

https://www.amazon.com/VG248QE-1920x108 ... HH7G0?th=1

https://www.monitornerds.com/best-gamin ... eesync-4k/

http://topreviews.best/main-review/best ... gQodtskCug

Thanks again for all the help!

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

You're going to pay a lot for G-Sync monitors. You won't find them cheap.

However...if you're staying at 1080p--it's also not required. With a GTX 1080, you'll kill a 1920x1080 display so you can actually enable V-Sync and lock it to 60FPS and have zero issues. (That's what I've done for normal gaming now, as I gave the ultrawide to my wife and re-connected my triple 40" LEDs, that are only 60Hz).

I have a tough time racing with anything else anymore. The Rift is not a novelty for racing sims, but I've got a problem on my rig where I have a USB conflict so the Rift sensor will sometimes disconnect mid-race. Horrible in iRacing, because I can feel everything and hear everything, but can't see anything when that happens. Bad news.

I've tried racing in triples again, and I'm slower and don't have the same depth perception and precision. Other than a fuzzier display, there's no comparison to racing with a Rift, IMO. It's lightyears ahead of triple screens.

Pete1210
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Pete1210 »

My son's monitor died today. So we're shopping for a budget gaming monitor, looking to spend around $200 if possible. Any suggestions?

So far we have our eye on this HP Omen 25:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-omen-by ... :212,loc:2
XBL/PSN: Pete1210

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

Yes, a year later and I still have not upgraded my PC monitors, although that is mainly due to the fact that most of my PC gaming is done on the Rift. However, Microcenter has some great deals right now on monitors and I am looking to get a 27in and not spend over $150. There are four below that are currently on sale at Microcenter all for the same price of $129.99. I am leaning towards the ASUS. Anyone have any experience with these or opinions? Thanks! I am "upgrading" from 3 X 19in 1280x1024 HP's

ASUS VP278QG 27" TN Gaming LED Monitor
Refresh Rate: 75Hz
Response Time: 1ms
Features: AMD FreeSync Technology (I have nvidia so this will not add anything for me), Anti-Blue Technology,Flicker-Free, 2 x Integrated 2 Watt Stereo Speakers (i will not use these)
Connectivity: 1 VGA, 2 HDMI, 1 Display Port
Pros: Most inputs, fastest response time and 75hz refresh rate
Cons: Probably has the biggest bezel
http://www.microcenter.com/product/4847 ... ED_Monitor

Dell SE2717HR 27" IPS LED Monitor
Refresh Rate: 75Hz
Response Time: 6ms
Features: LED Backlight, AMD FreeSync Technology, Flicker-Free
Connectivity: 1 VGA, 1 HDMI
Pro: IPS, looks really good
Cons: Has sizeable bezel, not many inputs
http://www.microcenter.com/product/4821 ... ED_Monitor