OT: PC Gaming Hardware Thread

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: OT: PC Gaming Hardware Thread

Post by DivotMaker »

LOL, thanks anyway.....

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

DivotMaker wrote:Considering the following modest upgrades to my PC which is at least 6 years old.

Current:
Asus Maximus Formula LGA775
Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 Stock Fan
PC800 DDR2 4 GB
ATI 4870X2
WD Raptor 150 GB 10,000 RPM Sata
750 watt PC Power and Cooling PSU

New:
AMD R9 Nano Fiju 4GB (Freebie from my friends at AMD) already in old system and massive improvement in games
Gigabyte or Asus Intel Z170 LGA1151 gaming motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813128844
Intel Skylake i5 6600 3.3 Ghz CPU
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6819117562
G.Skill DDR4 3200 PC25600 16 GB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820231929

$479 including tax.....not going with i7 just yet, but thinking LGA1151 gives me some future proofing and can upgrade to i7 once we sell our home (on the market come Wednesday) and buy the new one.

Any feedback?

Thanks.
Not too bad, i'm still running an i7 3700K with a GTX 770 and it still keeps up with every game I throw at it. Intel seems to perform better with Nvidia cards but hey free is free. It's worth a try. WRT memory, I find 8GB is plenty for most games today and something you can always add later but if you got a sweet deal on the 16GB vs 8GB then i'd go with the better deal. As far as motherboards go those two choices are solid. I tend to go with the mobo that allows overclocking in the future and includes built in Wifi.

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

Thanks for the feedback Rod. Changed my motherboard to a different Gigabyte board that is not mini-ATX. Cost is now $539, but I think a powerful yet inexpensive upgrade.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Gigabyte makes nice mobos. I built a Steam Box with a Gigabyte mini-ATX mobo with built in Wifi. I purchased a CPU liquid cooler. The Intel Skylake chips have all gotten solid reviews.

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

Ended up with a better Gigabyte motherboard

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813128835

This board also has the Creative Quad Core sound processor on board and it sounds freaking incredible.....

Got the i5 6600 3.5 ghz and the G.Skill 16 GB DDR4 3200 ram. Picked up an AMD/OCZ 480 GB SSD with great specs and I am stunned at how much faster this thing is over my previous system.....it is hellaciously fast and quiet as hell. Probably going to get the Division and see how that runs....I think I will be pleased....

What really shocked me is I built it with absolutely zero issues and I was afraid I would screw something up as it has been six years since I built my last one. Thank God for good installation manuals....

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Glad to hear you got it all together, Divot. Yeah it's pretty easy putting a system together. The hard part is choosing all the stuff you want.

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

Returned the i5 660 Skylake for the i7 6700 4.0 GHZ....now I am set for the foreseeable future.....

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Solid choice on the CPU. 8)

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

Rodster wrote:Solid choice on the CPU. 8)

Hard to pass up at $100 difference in price.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

The new GTX 1080 and 1070 look sick and they are now paired with 8GB of VRAM. The 1080 starts out at $599 and the 1070 offers Titan X performance at $379.

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by F308GTB »

Rodster wrote:The new GTX 1080 and 1070 look sick and they are now paired with 8GB of VRAM. The 1080 starts out at $599 and the 1070 offers Titan X performance at $379.
Groovy. May have to get one when they come out. Some of the engineering software I use can take advantage of the GPU for matrix operations. The extra memory and faster card will both make an improvement over my 770.

BTW, took ownership of a Dell 34" Ultra wide 3440x1440 monitor this week. Debated about it or triples and glad I did the wide.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

After all of the crap I've done lately to improve my sim setup...my PC sh*ts the bed. It had been having some issues for a couple of months, as far as boot up sometimes getting stuck in a perpetual loop, cooling fans not properly initiating, strange whining sounds (like a bushing going out), but now any time I go to launch a game, it hard reboots and the CPU is melting, temp-wise. Awesome.

New machine specs, from what I've settled on so far:

CPU: Core i7-6700K (4x 4.00GHz)
RAM: 32GB (16GB x 2) DDR4-3200 GSKILL Ripjaws V
MOBO: MSI Z170A Gaming M9 ACK
Video: 2x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Founder's Edition 8GB
EVGA Pro High-Bandwidth SLI Bridge V2
512 GB M.2/PCI-E Samsung 950 SSD
2x2TB Western Digital HDD
1000 Watt Thermaltake PSU
Thermaltake Water 3.0 240mm Liquid Cooler

I only get a PC once ever 3 or 4 years, so when I've learned not to settle in one area and end up regretting it later. If Scott or anybody else knows of any issues (specifically with the MSI mobo or the CPU, but any, really), I'd love to hear about it. Last time I got a PC the Motherboard didn't even TECHNICALLY support the processor I ordered (even though it was listed as compatible according to their specs sheet), so I had 2 RMAs and ended up jumping through a bunch of hoops to get it to work. It couldn't keep up with the CPU, which led to stuttering as the two components tried to sync up when gaming.

I found no conflict info on that 6700K and the MSI Z170A mobo, but you never know. In case anybody here has any info that may alter my thought process, I'm all ears (eyes?)!

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

TCrouch wrote:After all of the crap I've done lately to improve my sim setup...my PC sh*ts the bed. It had been having some issues for a couple of months, as far as boot up sometimes getting stuck in a perpetual loop, cooling fans not properly initiating, strange whining sounds (like a bushing going out), but now any time I go to launch a game, it hard reboots and the CPU is melting, temp-wise. Awesome.

New machine specs, from what I've settled on so far:

CPU: Core i7-6700K (4x 4.00GHz)
RAM: 32GB (16GB x 2) DDR4-3200 GSKILL Ripjaws V
MOBO: MSI Z170A Gaming M9 ACK
Video: 2x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Founder's Edition 8GB
EVGA Pro High-Bandwidth SLI Bridge V2
512 GB M.2/PCI-E Samsung 950 SSD
2x2TB Western Digital HDD
1000 Watt Thermaltake PSU
Thermaltake Water 3.0 240mm Liquid Cooler

I only get a PC once ever 3 or 4 years, so when I've learned not to settle in one area and end up regretting it later. If Scott or anybody else knows of any issues (specifically with the MSI mobo or the CPU, but any, really), I'd love to hear about it. Last time I got a PC the Motherboard didn't even TECHNICALLY support the processor I ordered (even though it was listed as compatible according to their specs sheet), so I had 2 RMAs and ended up jumping through a bunch of hoops to get it to work. It couldn't keep up with the CPU, which led to stuttering as the two components tried to sync up when gaming.

I found no conflict info on that 6700K and the MSI Z170A mobo, but you never know. In case anybody here has any info that may alter my thought process, I'm all ears (eyes?)!
I have the same CPU and my motherboard is the Gigabyte G1 Gaming GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 (rev. 1.0) and it is rock solid and very fast.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 2W03VR9011

I have the same exact RAM only I have 16 GB at this time. Wish I had the $1400 to spend on two 1080 GTX's.....hell, wouldn't mind just one of them....LOL

Are you running dual 980 GTX Ti's in your current rig?

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Nah I went from dual 970s to a single Titan X. Thought it would have done better in 4K/triple screen, so going back to SLI (even with individual title headaches) with the 1080s and dumping the Titan.

Good to hear about the CPU not having a conflict. I figure it's not SO new that it should be a problem, but I've been there before...

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

And after getting the runaround from the company I had ordered from, I canceled that order. When you give them a sh*t ton of money and they come back with 'sorry, don't have a status update' and take 2 hours in between every step and confirmation....when you paid them even more for "ships next business day!". All the while, they don't do anything with it for 36 hours?

Not the way I do business. People piss me off.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Also, ended up finding some better parts from a company who treated me a whole hell of a lot better, too. Saved me some money in places I was burning it, and went through each part of the configuration line by line with me on the phone, which was awesome. So the specs changed:

Motherboard: Asus ROG Rampage V Edition 10
Processor: Intel Core I7-6850K OC to 4.0GHz-4.4GHz
Memory: DDR4 3000MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum - 16GB
Video: 2x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 w/ High Bandwidth SLI Bridge, OC 10-20%
PSU: Corsair RM1000 Watt Power Supply
Cooling: CORSAIR Hydro Series H100i Water Cooler
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Z 5.1 Channels 24-bit PCI Express Sound Card (I always use onboard audio, but there's a new piece of tech in simracing called SimVibe that requires a dedicated soundcard...so I'll have this one just in case I want to do that)
HDD1: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB m.2
HDD2: 512 GB SSD 550MB/s Read, 520MB/s Write (freebie)
HDD3: WD Black 4TB HDD

Very pleased with what should be a beast of a gaming rig with MUCH better customer service. Processor got faster, memory amount was dropped, and the motherboard is worlds better.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Asus > MSI for mobo so it was a good runaround lol. I'll never buy another MSI board. Had way too many issues with them of late. ASUS and Gigabyte are my go to boards now. Video card OEM wise too.

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

TCrouch wrote:Also, ended up finding some better parts from a company who treated me a whole hell of a lot better, too. Saved me some money in places I was burning it, and went through each part of the configuration line by line with me on the phone, which was awesome. So the specs changed:

Motherboard: Asus ROG Rampage V Edition 10
Processor: Intel Core I7-6850K OC to 4.0GHz-4.4GHz
Memory: DDR4 3000MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum - 16GB
Video: 2x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 w/ High Bandwidth SLI Bridge, OC 10-20%
PSU: Corsair RM1000 Watt Power Supply
Cooling: CORSAIR Hydro Series H100i Water Cooler
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Z 5.1 Channels 24-bit PCI Express Sound Card (I always use onboard audio, but there's a new piece of tech in simracing called SimVibe that requires a dedicated soundcard...so I'll have this one just in case I want to do that)
HDD1: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB m.2
HDD2: 512 GB SSD 550MB/s Read, 520MB/s Write (freebie)
HDD3: WD Black 4TB HDD

Very pleased with what should be a beast of a gaming rig with MUCH better customer service. Processor got faster, memory amount was dropped, and the motherboard is worlds better.
Very nice rig.....congrats!

And I agree with db above.....nice exchange.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Thanks, guys. It showed up last night, and as always....installing all of your crap all over again takes away any time you hoped to have with it on that first night!

I did try a few games with it that I knew would challenge it, like Arma 3 in Triple Screen (6000x1080 bezel corrected resolution) on Ultra settings, and it was still pulling 90FPS, so when I saw that, I know I'll be OK.

Both 1080s are MSI Aero cards, though....so I'm hoping MSI isn't as sh*tty as I'm fearing now. Although since Xidax has a lifetime parts warranty, I guess if they ever burn out, they replace them for free anyway. I'm just out a PC for a week while they do, but it's better than having to buy new cards.

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

TCrouch wrote:Thanks, guys. It showed up last night, and as always....installing all of your crap all over again takes away any time you hoped to have with it on that first night!

I did try a few games with it that I knew would challenge it, like Arma 3 in Triple Screen (6000x1080 bezel corrected resolution) on Ultra settings, and it was still pulling 90FPS, so when I saw that, I know I'll be OK.

Both 1080s are MSI Aero cards, though....so I'm hoping MSI isn't as sh*tty as I'm fearing now. Although since Xidax has a lifetime parts warranty, I guess if they ever burn out, they replace them for free anyway. I'm just out a PC for a week while they do, but it's better than having to buy new cards.
Awesome! What are your plans for the old Titan X card?

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

My son is foaming at the mouth for it. He's still running on a GTX 970, so then that card goes over to my daughter so she can have 2x 970s in SLI for her to play The Sims with :?

My son is a big League of Legends/Dota2/CSGO player, so he's been begging me for that thing for the past week.

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

Awesome! I am up for adoption..... 8O

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

DivotMaker wrote:Awesome! I am up for adoption..... 8O
LOL Sold! Help me with my golf game :lol:

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

TCrouch wrote:
DivotMaker wrote:Awesome! I am up for adoption..... 8O
LOL Sold! Help me with my golf game :lol:
DEAL! :lol:

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

So I have a weird thing going on all of the sudden. My G910 keyboard keeps losing power and I need to unplug and re-plug to the usb. I thought it was the keyboard so I swaped back in my old one same issue. Switched ports, put the mouse in the port that was used that powers off. It's like Windows 10 is just randomly turning off power to some of my usb ports.

Anyone run into this problem?
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation