OT: PC Gaming Hardware Thread

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: OT: PC Gaming Hardware Thread

Post by Rodster »

sportdan30 wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:56 pm
Rodster wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:49 pm
I decided to cancel my order...AGAIN. I'm going to wait to see what the Zen 3 processors are capable of and by that time the Intel i5-10600K should be released and supposedly it could post slightly better numbers than the i7-10700K under certain conditions. I can't believe Intel is still pushing 14nm tech while AMD is selling 7nm.
Not a computer afficienado in the least, but I do think you can do a little better than a 2060 if you're patient. Probably best to have canceled the order.
For 1080p gaming the RTX 2060 Super 8GB is overkill. I have yet to make the jump to 4K. Actually the GTX 1660 Ti currently is the sweet spot for price and performance on 1080p.

What i'm trying to do is wait for the next gen AMD Zen 3 and RDNA 3 architecture. Those hopefully will arrive within the next 2 months. But on price alone that was a pretty good price for a prebuilt rig. I priced a component build and I would have saved maybe less than $150.

Edit: I also read the GTX 1660 Super and GTX 1660 TI are basically redundant. It's better to save money going with the 1660 Super.
Last edited by Rodster on Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I decided not to go Alienware and trust my old eyes. I saved a sh*t load of money. I ordered my parts from Newegg. A new Lian-Li Aluminum case with a carrying handle. Total cost of the build $917 vs $2500 with Alienware. To sweeten the deal I got Assassin Creed Valhalla (FREE) with the Ryzen 7 3800x and 12 months no interest.

Lian-Li https://www.newegg.com/p/2AM-000Z-00050 ... 000Z-00050

Ryzen 3800x only $10 more vs the Ryzen 3700x.

ASRock Fata1ity B450 Mini-Itx mobo https://www.newegg.com/asrock-fatal1ty- ... 6813157844

Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200Mhz https://www.newegg.com/corsair-32gb-288 ... 6820236570

GTX 1660 Super (I still game in 1080p so it's throwing money away with a higher end card)

* I already have a 256GB Nvme m.2 card I can use to boot the PC and a 3TB HDD for my Steam games. I also have a PSU leftover I can use.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Need some advice on purchasing a gaming laptop for my son. He's off to college in a few weeks (fingers crossed he doesn't have to come home early because of the coronavirus). Anyways, he's majoring in game design and has specific requirements from the school.

Windows Gaming Laptop (recommended) or MacBook Pro Recommend: 16GB RAM memory & 512GB SSD storage.

He has on order the following.

ASUS - ROG Zephyrus M15 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Intel Core i7 - 16GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Max-Q - 1TB SSD - Prism Gray

The price is right at $1579. I just wonder if it'll hold up for four years and also if it's a decent brand that's reliable. A little concerned about some comments that it gets quite hot and the fans are pretty loud.

I've shied away from the Macbook Pro becuase they're moving to a new chipset, even though they'll support their intel notebooks for a few years at the very least.

Anyone have any recommendations or suggestions?

Thanks!

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Asus is a good brand. You'll be fine with what you purchased. I don't know that I'd get a MacBook if you're boy is getting into game design...it's clearly not a MacBooks strength - and you have to run emulators to get games to run if they aren't native to MacOS. It's a giant pain...

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I'm glad I waited cause the RTX 3080 looks like a monster in performance. Eurogamer's Digital Foundry calls it a generational leap in performance.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Rodster wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:00 pm
I'm glad I waited cause the RTX 3080 looks like a monster in performance. Eurogamer's Digital Foundry calls it a generational leap in performance.
It better be for $1,500. I mean...um, it's supposed to be when it's the top of the line, cutting edge card. If you wait longer, the 4080 will be out and it'll be even better! Waiting is a fools game in tech.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

The 3080 is $699, correct? The 3090, which is unneccessary is $1500.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

sportdan30 wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:35 pm
The 3080 is $699, correct? The 3090, which is unneccessary is $1500.
That's correct although for $699 you are getting a revved up RTX 2080 Ti for half price.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

It looks like the sweet spot card is the RTX 3070 which cost $500 card.

Eurogamer: "The RTX 3070 should be the most popular model of the three, offering what Nvidia claim is better than RTX 2080 Ti performance and 8GB of GDDR6 memory at a $500/£470/€500 price point. Compared to the previous RTX 2070 (non-Super), you're getting 60 per cent higher frame-rates on average. That means it should be a good choice for resolutions up to 4K. However, it lacks the dual-sided fan design of the RTX 3080 and RTX 3090, going back to the standard one-sided design of the RTX 20-series cards. Still, if performance is up to par, I don't think too many people will mind. This card will be available in October."

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

The Verge did a side by side test between the RTX 3080 and the RTX 2080Ti and the RTX 3080 which is a $700 card averaged 120 FPS running Doom Eternal @ 4K with Max settings. A 50% increase in performance for half the price.

pigpen81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pigpen81 »

Last year we bought this PC gaming rig for our boys for Xmas and they love it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RP ... UTF8&psc=1

However, we are almost out of hard drive space. Can someone recommend a good internal HD to add? I believe there is space inside for me to add a 2nd hard drive.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

pigpen81 wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:19 pm

However, we are almost out of hard drive space. Can someone recommend a good internal HD to add? I believe there is space inside for me to add a 2nd hard drive.
Literally a million different options if you use a standard platter hard drive...you can get 3-4TB for like 65 bucks. Like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-BarraCud ... ics&sr=1-3

pigpen81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pigpen81 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:29 pm
pigpen81 wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:19 pm

Literally a million different options if you use a standard platter hard drive...you can get 3-4TB for like 65 bucks. Like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-BarraCud ... ics&sr=1-3
Thanks DB!

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Just placed an order for a Corsair desktop. RTX 3070, 1 TB SSD, 16 GB, Ryzen 5 5600X. My iMac was 2011 and was running quite slowly.

I'm excited to jump in to PC gaming.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

sportdan30 wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:25 pm
Just placed an order for a Corsair desktop. RTX 3070, 1 TB SSD, 16 GB, Ryzen 5 5600X. My iMac was 2011 and was running quite slowly.

If you don't have Game Pass Ultimate get it, you will have access to a ton of games right off the jump. Also download Epics client, while I hate their exclusive practice they use, they give out a free game every week so it is worth it for the free games. I also have Origin Premire but I'm starting to doubt the value in that. Always check GPU and any other service to see if they have the game before buying it on Steam, I have done that by mistake several times.

If you know all this then sorry, just trying to help.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Danimal wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:38 pm
sportdan30 wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:25 pm

If you don't have Game Pass Ultimate get it, you will have access to a ton of games right off the jump. Also download Epics client, while I hate their exclusive practice they use, they give out a free game every week so it is worth it for the free games. I also have Origin Premire but I'm starting to doubt the value in that. Always check GPU and any other service to see if they have the game before buying it on Steam, I have done that by mistake several times.

If you know all this then sorry, just trying to help.
I appreciate all the input everyone can give. I'm allowing my son to take the Series X up to college.

I'm definitely going to get the Game Pass Ultimate as there are a number of games I'm playing and I'm guessing quite a few PC games I've never experienced.

With EA Play now on PC (albeit buggy I'm hearing), is Origin Premiere still beneficial?

How much is Epics client?

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Very surprised that my pc has already shipped. I was going to hold out and order from NZXT but their lead-time was at the minimum 3-4 weeks.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

sportdan30 wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:00 pm
I'm definitely going to get the Game Pass Ultimate as there are a number of games I'm playing and I'm guessing quite a few PC games I've never experienced.

With EA Play now on PC (albeit buggy I'm hearing), is Origin Premiere still beneficial?

How much is Epics client?
Origin Premier gives you access to just released games so if you buy Madden, FIFA every year it pays for itself. It obviously gives you access to other games as well but the main draw is the new AAA releases. Considering all I play is Madden it's losing its value for me.

Epic client is free to download, its like Steams clients. Epic pays devs for exclusive rights so some games come to Steam a year late or never at all. A lot of time the free games are really good.

GPU releases stuff all the time and is honestly a steal.
Follow Me on:

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Thanks Dan!

PC is delivering today. They shipped it out overnight from CA. Didin't have to pay taxes which was nice.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Looking for some recommendations. My current gaming laptop for my golf simulator is showing its age and i am considering upgrading. I went with a gaming laptop when I built the sim like 4-5 years ago because my garage didn’t have any heat or even a ceiling in it and the mobility was a need. Since then I have added a heater and put insulation in the ceiling and the garage does not drop below 40 even in the dead of winter. Anyways, I am considering getting a gaming desktop because there is no need to constantly be bringing the pc in and out of the garage due to cold temps...plus it will be cheaper than a gaming laptop. Monitor is not needed.

With that being said, I have been out of the graphics card game for a while. If I do this, I would be looking for a solid gaming desktop...maybe something $1000-$1500 range. Any recommendations? Thanks ahead of time.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Diablo25 wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:30 am
Looking for some recommendations. My current gaming laptop for my golf simulator is showing its age and i am considering upgrading. I went with a gaming laptop when I built the sim like 4-5 years ago because my garage didn’t have any heat or even a ceiling in it and the mobility was a need. Since then I have added a heater and put insulation in the ceiling and the garage does not drop below 40 even in the dead of winter. Anyways, I am considering getting a gaming desktop because there is no need to constantly be bringing the pc in and out of the garage due to cold temps...plus it will be cheaper than a gaming laptop. Monitor is not needed.

With that being said, I have been out of the graphics card game for a while. If I do this, I would be looking for a solid gaming desktop...maybe something $1000-$1500 range. Any recommendations? Thanks ahead of time.
Right now because of the work at home and crypto miners your best bet is to get a pre-built gaming PC. HP Omen, makes really nice gaming rigs. Lenovo Legion would be my second choice. Corsair also sells gaming rigs but they can get pricey and last would be Alienware. Although you can find really good deals on Alienware desktops. They recently were selling a Ryzen 3700X rig with a RTX 3070 and 16GB of RAM with an SSD drive for under $1200.

Northwest Falcon sells really nice rigs but they are expensive.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Rodster wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:01 pm
Northwest Falcon sells really nice rigs but they are expensive.
My last 2 machines have been from Falcon Northwest, they are expensive and worth every penny. First one which now is 9 years old can still run most modern games on it on good setting. Their support is second to none, they have walked me through everything I've ever asked years after buying. However Rod is right they are expensive my last one cost me $3,500
Follow Me on:

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Extremely happy with my Vengence Corsair. Can't believe how quiet it is, even with games like Red Dead 2. Gaming on this thing has been pure bliss, and I'll go as far to say that I enjoy gaming on the PC better than my PS5. Visually, games looks quite a bit better and the response time is excellent.