NHL 08

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

NHL 08

Post by MizzouRah »

First look!

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/794/794764p1.html

Damn I'm so excited! They are focusing on skating and this time the game will be 60 fps!!

The screenshots look excellent to boot!

My favorite sports console game gets even better. :)

Blublub
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Blublub »

Sounds good, but I'll believe the 60fps when I see it. Framerate issues killed it for me last year.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

One of my biggest complains was the transition from offense to defense and viceversa. Looks like they are aware of it too. Promising.

Sully
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sully »

Sounds promising, but some major attention needs to be put into the AI department.

Airdog
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Airdog »

I never played game, other than the demo on the marketplace. It took so long for 2K to get decent animations for skating that when they did I didn't want to go back to a game that did not.

2K8 better make some lofty innovations and improvements, otherwise they will be left completely in the dust by EA Sports. Even longtime die hard 2K fans are completely ready (and expecting) to jump ship.
- Rob
PSN: smearobe

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Blublub wrote:Sounds good, but I'll believe the 60fps when I see it. Framerate issues killed it for me last year.
So true. If they keep a decent framerate, it'll be the Hockey game to buy, graphics wise they blow 2k.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Blublub wrote:Sounds good, but I'll believe the 60fps when I see it. Framerate issues killed it for me last year.
I really don't see any framerate issues. It's not as smooth as NHL 2k7, that we know.. but I don't notice any real issues with the framerate when playing the game. In fact, it seems much better played on my new monitor.. maybe it the 6ms response time vs the 8 I had with my other monitor?

All I know is I love the game and the list of improvements is EXACTLY what I was hoping for. Can't wait to see it in action.

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

I just hope they give us enough defensive tools too cope with all the new skill stick moves. like an analog poke check and maybe bring back the pinning from 04 (best ever) be able to kick the puck to some help if your tied up like 2k, get some good scraps down low on a cycle. I want too be able to have a shift with a 4th line were all they do is cycle , keep possesion not even worrying about a shot and having the same ability on defense to cope with that situation.

kevinpars
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by kevinpars »

Did any of you have trouble with players getting "stuck" in animations? Maybe it was the way I use the game pad, but I had a good number of offsides called because one of my players would get stuck in an animation and would be in the offensive zone long after the puck went back the other way. So not only did I get an offside, but I would basically be a man down playing defense.

I also saw some frame rate issues, but the game was just so much damn fun to play that it was easy to overlook. The game had a very good mix of control versus talent. In other words, I controlled the way my team played and often if my team sucked it was because the way I played sucked. But at the same time, there was a difference between controlling a good player and a mediocre player.

There are 3 things I look for in a console sports game - 1) Does it do a good job of representing the sport? 2) Does the gameplay offer enough variety that you might see something new after playing a lot of games? and 3) Is it fun? This game had enough of each - especially the fun part, that it kept me coming back for more. Plus, unlike baseball and football, you can play a reasonably quick game of hockey without sacrificing too much in terms of realism.

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

kevinpars wrote:Did any of you have trouble with players getting "stuck" in animations? Maybe it was the way I use the game pad, but I had a good number of offsides called because one of my players would get stuck in an animation and would be in the offensive zone long after the puck went back the other way. So not only did I get an offside, but I would basically be a man down playing defense.

I also saw some frame rate issues, but the game was just so much damn fun to play that it was easy to overlook. The game had a very good mix of control versus talent. In other words, I controlled the way my team played and often if my team sucked it was because the way I played sucked. But at the same time, there was a difference between controlling a good player and a mediocre player.

There are 3 things I look for in a console sports game - 1) Does it do a good job of representing the sport? 2) Does the gameplay offer enough variety that you might see something new after playing a lot of games? and 3) Is it fun? This game had enough of each - especially the fun part, that it kept me coming back for more. Plus, unlike baseball and football, you can play a reasonably quick game of hockey without sacrificing too much in terms of realism.
Ditto. I also had the animation issue that you did.

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

Havnt noticed on the 360 version. You guys talking 360?

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

Jimmydeicide wrote:Havnt noticed on the 360 version. You guys talking 360?
never had that issue.

just played today too...probably game # 478

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Never got into the game until recently, and thanks to Deicide for giving me my first two online games ever. I was shocked at how easy it was to "play like the Ducks", I guess you'd say. I'm now more enthusiastic for NHL08 than any other sports game coming out, which is a strange situation for me.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

I am hopeful that those skating chnages shine through. I picked up NHL 07 used a while back but haven't gotten into it all, mainly because of AI and the skating model.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

TCrouch wrote:I was shocked at how easy it was to "play like the Ducks", I guess you'd say.
Flying V?

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
TCrouch wrote:I was shocked at how easy it was to "play like the Ducks", I guess you'd say.
Flying V?
Hah...not quite. Dump it in at the blue line, chase it down, really punish the other team along the boards and not really allow a ton of shots. Big hits, tough to break through the defense, and cash in on ugly goal chances when they're presented. Not very pretty hockey, and neither of my games were particularly "pretty", but they were effective which made me really like it more. I hear people dog games on AI and whatnot a lot, and I'm sure there are some problems with it, but it was very intuitive and easy to play that "Ducks-style", if that makes any sense.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

I haven't read the article yet, but they darn well better have upped the cycling of the puck. This game play a little bit too arcade in my opinion. Also, the A.I.'s D was rather weak as well imo. Or shall I say not aggressive enough.

I think this game has a little ways to go before it makes me believe they have their ducks in a row.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

sportdan30 wrote:I haven't read the article yet, but they darn well better have upped the cycling of the puck. This game play a little bit too arcade in my opinion. Also, the A.I.'s D was rather weak as well imo. Or shall I say not aggressive enough.

I think this game has a little ways to go before it makes me believe they have their ducks in a row.
:idea:

If you download the latest roster update (in fact there are two now), cycling of the puck has REALLY improved as well as some other things.

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

People rag on the ai and i agree with the bad things on D but it also has some amazing ai situations too.

Breakaways, 2 on 1's , rebounds, shots off face offs the goalies alone take it beyond any other game as far as im concerned, granted its all on offense but hey its not all bad ai.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

I did not know that Todd. That's very cool. Is NHL '08 going to available on the PS3?

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

yes I thought the screenshots were from ps3. The article i read at ign was ps3 it said and i thought the graphics looked a little different .(not as good).

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/794/794978p1.html

Never mind looks like same article with ps3 heading but some of the screenies look not as crisp maybe some sre ps3 screens.

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

Jimmydeicide wrote:Havnt noticed on the 360 version. You guys talking 360?
Yep.

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

Maybe the latest roster helped it cause unless it was right when i first got the game and forgot about it i havnt noticed it once.

Im 63 games in a new franchise with latest roster played everyone and havnt noticed it.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

sportdan30 wrote:I did not know that Todd. That's very cool. Is NHL '08 going to available on the PS3?
Yep! If it's indeed running at 60 fps and they don't break anything from 07, it will be a must buy if you're a hockey fan.