My 360 has both feet in the grave :(

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Dimmu
Mario Mendoza

Post by Dimmu »

I hesitate to say this but mine went down June 28th and I got it back yesterday, July 12, exactly 2 weeks. I did have the 2 year extended warranty, don't know if MS is giving priority to those who have one or not. Also, I got the same unit back that I sent in. I wonder what they did to it?

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Dimmu wrote:I hesitate to say this but mine went down June 28th and I got it back yesterday, July 12, exactly 2 weeks. I did have the 2 year extended warranty, don't know if MS is giving priority to those who have one or not. Also, I got the same unit back that I sent in. I wonder what they did to it?
Pretty quick turnaround at least.

Dimmu
Mario Mendoza

Post by Dimmu »

sportdan30 wrote:
Dimmu wrote:I hesitate to say this but mine went down June 28th and I got it back yesterday, July 12, exactly 2 weeks. I did have the 2 year extended warranty, don't know if MS is giving priority to those who have one or not. Also, I got the same unit back that I sent in. I wonder what they did to it?
Pretty quick turnaround at least.
Yeah, can't complain too much. Luckily I have a Core backup from when my original Premium died on Gears release day. Now I have to just wait to burn the core up and get it fixed. I should be good to go then. Hopefully

snaz16
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by snaz16 »

Bastard :wink:

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

Mine didn't take long either, and I didn't have the warranty. I sent it back June 25 and it was back to me by July 9. The irony is that all the stuff I need to play (hard drive, controllers, etc) is packed up until the movers bring my stuff at the end of the month. At least by then I can get the real NCAA impressions instead of just the honeymoon ones. :D

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

I think they are probably inundated with broken 360's since the announcement of the new warrantly. It took 2 1/2 weeks for them to
show that they received it from me. Hope I get mine back soon.
I hate being on the gaming DL :x

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

got an email today saying my console is on it's way back to me!! :D

getting ready to come off the gaming dl :D
Last edited by JackB1 on Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

JackB1 wrote:got an email today saying my console is on it's way back to me!! :D

getting ready to come of the gaming dl :D
Just in time!!!

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

Does anyone know if the failure rate is the same with the 360 Elites? Or are they built differently?

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

Macca00 wrote:Does anyone know if the failure rate is the same with the 360 Elites? Or are they built differently?
From what I understand they are prone to the same problems.

http://digg.com/gaming_news/Xbox_360_El ... _as_Others

Now, I have no idea what 'loot ninja' is as a site, but I've seen anecdotal evidence on NeoGAF and places like that that elite users are still seeing the same problems. I'm sure MS has started release modified versions of all SKUs, though, but who knows when they will reach retail channels.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

There's been talk recently about "Falcon" the code name for their 65nm chip.

Not sure if that's both Xenon and Xenos or just Xenon.

Speculation that by the end of the summer, there will be a price cut along with a new design using the cooler chip.

snaz16
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by snaz16 »

After an hour on hold, my "repaired 360" will arrive on Fri,4 weeks after I shipped it out. We leave on vacation on Thurs. :? On the plus side,its our every other year baseball trip which takes us to 6 different stadiums in 6 days.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Well add my 360 to the list, I just got the Peter Moore special. :lol:

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

Thanks for the reply Web & Wco! I'm still waiting for mine to return but I'm wary about how long its going to take before it breaks again....

mixdj1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by mixdj1 »

Well, it's not just the 360 that's out to get me. My Wii has started going out on me. After doing some research it appears that having the WiiConnect24 standy mode enabled can cause some systems to overheat and have graphical glitches. Mine has started showing random green and red pixels all over the screen and it gets worse the longer it's on and the more polygons the scene is pushing.

Well, I guess I'll be able to do a comparison between Nintendo and Microsoft customer support. I never thought I'd have to box up my Wii and send it off for repairs. 8O

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

mixdj1 wrote:Well, it's not just the 360 that's out to get me. My Wii has started going out on me. After doing some research it appears that having the WiiConnect24 standy mode enabled can cause some systems to overheat and have graphical glitches. Mine has started showing random green and red pixels all over the screen and it gets worse the longer it's on and the more polygons the scene is pushing.

Well, I guess I'll be able to do a comparison between Nintendo and Microsoft customer support. I never thought I'd have to box up my Wii and send it off for repairs. 8O
I noticed the same thing a while ago that the machine ran hotter in standby than it did when playing a game so I just disabled that feature. I don't use the Wii to play online anyway.

Maybe PK had the right idea, just stick to PC gaming it's far more reliable and far less expensive in the long run. ;)

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

I doubt PCs are cheaper, not if you get a decent rig.

Of if you update often to keep up with the latest video cards.

Not cheaper to run with those big power supplies either.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

wco81 wrote:I doubt PCs are cheaper, not if you get a decent rig.

It is when the rig is free and you "obtain" games ... :)

Still, I pity you cats who are having troubles with your machines. I would climb out of my skin if I couldn't race, play Rugby 06 or MVP 07 (modded MVP 2005). Best of luck to you guys waiting on repairs.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

wco81 wrote:I doubt PCs are cheaper, not if you get a decent rig.

My rig is 1.5 yrs old, I can play 95% off all games on high to max settings. My all time favorite racing game "Grand Prix 4" is maxed out. Most of my games are of the racing genre. At least my PC doesn't flash the dreaded 3 rings of death like my 360 did tonight. Also most PC games are much cheaper than 360 or PS3 games.

As far as power supplies go the 360 and PS3 systems draw as much if not more power than a typical 550 watt PS. I saw an article a while back on the power required to feed both nextgen consoles and I was amazed.

kevinpars
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by kevinpars »

How long did you guys have to sit on the phone before you actually talked to a human - and did the person you talked to have a clue?

I am facing this again - but after 45 minutes on hold yesterday, I hung up and did the towel trick which got it working again. But I know this fix is temporary at best.

icvu42
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by icvu42 »

As all your 360's are dying, I am thinking of stepping up to that level. I haven't played my PS2 in over a year and will sell it. Have a couple of questions I hope you guys can answer...

1- what advantage is there for getting the premium over the core? I am not going to be using it for photos or videos, or to watch movies. I usually only have a couple of games in my library.. football in the fall, hoops in the winter, baseball in the spring and maybe a golf game or such. Do I need to spend the extra $100 for the hard drive?

2- I saw they have a cooling system that you can slap on the back.. has anyone tried it and does it prevent the RROD problems?

Thanks.

Rick

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

icvu42 wrote:As all your 360's are dying, I am thinking of stepping up to that level. I haven't played my PS2 in over a year and will sell it. Have a couple of questions I hope you guys can answer...

1- what advantage is there for getting the premium over the core? I am not going to be using it for photos or videos, or to watch movies. I usually only have a couple of games in my library.. football in the fall, hoops in the winter, baseball in the spring and maybe a golf game or such. Do I need to spend the extra $100 for the hard drive?

2- I saw they have a cooling system that you can slap on the back.. has anyone tried it and does it prevent the RROD problems?

Thanks.

Rick
The major advantages of the Premium over the Core is that you'll get a wireless controller and a 20GB hard drive with the Premium.

I used a Nyko Intercooler and IMO it helped prolong the inevitable but these system are a piece of crap and that's why again IMO MS sold like 2 million last year cause word has been getting out they are too unreliable.

I can't emphasize this enough, BUY AN EXTENDED WARRANTY so when it breaks you can get a new one. Later on this year when the new redesigned Xbox 360 come out I believe the system will become reliable.

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

got my 360 back yesterday! actually, it was a different console, but it works, so thats all I care about. hopefully this one won't crap out on me too soon.

about the intercoolers, there are reports that it drains too much power from the 360 itself, so I'm not sure if that is a good idea? If there was a similiar unit with it's own power supply, that would be much better.

WillHunting
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by WillHunting »

I bought my Elite on release date (4/29) and 2 nights ago, the DVD drive gave out (every other disc won't play, and when it does, the sound it makes is loud and horrendous). Thankfully, it is within 90 days return period from Target so I got a new Elite yesterday. This is horrible, I hope this one last.
+++++++++++++++
Gamertag: The Praxis
+++++++++++++++

icvu42
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by icvu42 »

Thanks for the info.

So there is enough other problems that could go wrong that aren't covered by the Microsoft 3 year warrany?

It's a tough decision. I want to move to the next gen, but there's so many damn horror stories about the thing.

Rick