F1 PS3

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

F1 PS3

Post by JRod »

Does anyone have this game for the PS3. If so, what are your impressions.

I heard the game is a lot of tuning and quite time consuming? Euro game reviews haven't been that glowing but it seems because this game isn't "arcade" enough.

I don't have a PS3 but will probably pick one up when WE:J PS3 drops. And will probably pick this game as well.
[url=http://sensiblecoasters.wordpress.com/][b]Sensible Coasters - A critique of sports games, reviews, gaming sites and news. Questionably Proofread![/b][/url]

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

I've only had it for 2 days, but I really like it. This game seems to be as incredibly deep or as easy and laid back as you want it. The default settings have no damage, all the aids, and easy AI. If that isn't arcade then I don't know what is...LOL. I'm playing on custom settings...still on the easy side (even that isn't *that* easy IMO) but with damage it's a lot of fun for me. I'm working my way through a season and then I'll try the career mode and let you know how it is. One of the common complaints seems to be the steep learning curve, but this may be one of those games that is fun to learn because the sense of speed is incredible and the graphics are pretty good.

I would recommend reading the opinions at amazon.com or gamestop. Most are extremely positive. Those seem to be a lot more accurate than the reviewers who don't seem to be F1 fans and want the game to be something it is not.

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

Leebo33 wrote:I've only had it for 2 days, but I really like it. This game seems to be as incredibly deep or as easy and laid back as you want it. The default settings have no damage, all the aids, and easy AI. If that isn't arcade then I don't know what is...LOL. I'm playing on custom settings...still on the easy side (even that isn't *that* easy IMO) but with damage it's a lot of fun for me. I'm working my way through a season and then I'll try the career mode and let you know how it is. One of the common complaints seems to be the steep learning curve, but this may be one of those games that is fun to learn because the sense of speed is incredible and the graphics are pretty good.

I would recommend reading the opinions at amazon.com or gamestop. Most are extremely positive. Those seem to be a lot more accurate than the reviewers who don't seem to be F1 fans and want the game to be something it is not.
Thanks for the impressions...I just saw a PS3 bundle with F1 and Pirate's of the Carribean Blu Ray (A definite system seller!) and remember this one getting some good hype before its release.

I'll admit, I haven't watched a tonne of F1 but love a good racing game here and there. Let me ask you- do the graphics scream "next gen"? As well, how's the cockpit view? Thanks.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

Fanatic, I would recommend viewing the "speedy" and "deft passing" videos at IGN.com. They feature a couple of the cockpit views and also give you a very good indication of how the game looks.

ExtremeGamer
Mario Mendoza

Post by ExtremeGamer »

I have it, I haven't played a ton of it, but it's one of the 3 PS3 games I own and I've enjoyed what I've played of it. Graphics are great, but it's extremely deep. I just haven't given it the time like I would have liked so far.

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

Thanks Leebo, Extremegamer....How do you find the ps3 controller for driving games? I noticed that the trigger buttons were curved inwards, making it perhaps bad for slipping...Any experiences like that?

ExtremeGamer
Mario Mendoza

Post by ExtremeGamer »

fanatic wrote:Thanks Leebo, Extremegamer....How do you find the ps3 controller for driving games? I noticed that the trigger buttons were curved inwards, making it perhaps bad for slipping...Any experiences like that?
The L2 and R2 triggers are more like triggers than buttons now, so they aren't bad at all IMO. I think F1 uses the X button for gas though, but I'm pretty sure you can switch it to where you want it.
[url=http://www.whoneedsrules.com]WhoNeedsRules.com[/url]

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

ExtremeGamer wrote:
fanatic wrote:Thanks Leebo, Extremegamer....How do you find the ps3 controller for driving games? I noticed that the trigger buttons were curved inwards, making it perhaps bad for slipping...Any experiences like that?
The L2 and R2 triggers are more like triggers than buttons now, so they aren't bad at all IMO. I think F1 uses the X button for gas though, but I'm pretty sure you can switch it to where you want it.
Cool, thanks.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

Yeah, there are 6 different controller configurations so I'm sure you could find something you like. The L2/R2 aren't as good as the XBox controller triggers but they aren't too bad and much better than the Dual Shock buttons for racing games. My hand gets a little cramped though.

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

Leebo or maybe JCalvert...

Any more "extended" impressions of this game?

I'm so close to pulling the trigger on the 360 for this game. I just want a "real" racing game.
[url=http://sensiblecoasters.wordpress.com/][b]Sensible Coasters - A critique of sports games, reviews, gaming sites and news. Questionably Proofread![/b][/url]

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

JRod wrote:I'm so close to pulling the trigger on the 360 for this game. I just want a "real" racing game.
:roll:

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
JRod wrote:I'm so close to pulling the trigger on the 360 for this game. I just want a "real" racing game.
:roll:
Meant PS3 and everyone knows it.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

Jrod,

I played a lot this weekend, but it's tough for me to give you more detailed impressions because I am working through a season on a pretty easy level (but still somewhat challenging due to having damage on). I haven't touched 90% of what is available and who knows if I ever will. The game seems incredibly deep and customizable.

What I can tell you is that I love the game. Here are things that I look for in a racing game and F1 really delivers.

1. Good AI and no catchup logic - the AI on easy and medium is really good.

2. Smooth framerate and sense of speed - probably the best part of the game.

3. Lots of tracks - I'm not a F1 enthusiast, but I think the game has all the F1 events.

4. Damage - I can't tell if it's "realistic" because I don't watch F1 but it seems very realistic and adds a lot to the game.

5. Lots of cars - it's so refreshing to have a field of 22 cars.

6. Interactive pit stops - some may feel that it's a bit too "arcade" but I kind of like the pit stop mini-game where you have to hit buttons of your crew members.

7. The ability to tweak but the flexibility to avoid it if you choose - the game is really deep here as well. I haven't touched anything yet. I have allowed the crew to do the "evolution" tweaking and that seemed to work well.

Sorry, that's all I can tell you right now. I'm getting ready to go to a meeting and then I have a business trip later.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

I'm going to have to rent this game this week as the demo has me yearning for more play time.

The demo is great fun, and I'm sure that's no indication just how deep this game really is. I will say that I love the multiple camera views, and the sense of speed is excellent. Having the option to use the right analog stick to accelerate and brakes is a pretty cool addition. Also, the presentation with the two man booth adds a little something extra which is nice.

jcalvert
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by jcalvert »

JRod wrote:Leebo or maybe JCalvert...

Any more "extended" impressions of this game?

I'm so close to pulling the trigger on the 360 for this game. I just want a "real" racing game.
Except for the "360" part, which you have already corrected, F1 CE for the PS3 is real racing. One of the things I really like about the game is that it is so easy to customize. It can seem like an arcade game if you turn off damage and turn on all the driving aids, but the game can also go to simulation in a hurry. Say you want damage, scaled tire/fuel use, but also need some traction control (or other aids) - no problem. Just make the option updates.

I have not raced more than 10 laps, but using scaled fuel use and tire wear, you will have to pit, which makes the game great fun. The AI seems to be decent; I am sure with extended use I (or anyone else) can find problems, but so far so good. At this ponit F1 CE is good enough that I just put Gran Prix Challenge (PS2) up for sale. From a console racing perspective, this is big news.

I will say this. If you are a casual racing fan, I am not sure that you can justify $60 + tax on the title. Gran Turismo this is not. If you are looking for a quality racing game, that happens to be limited in scope to the 2006 F1 season, this one is a good bet. Even with the quick race mode and driver aids, just do not expect NFS or Gran Turismo type racing. If you make a mistake, much like real F1, it is hard to recover.
jcalvert
www.calvertgames.com

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

I just played the demo at CC.

I don't think it has the same physics under the hood as Forza. It seems on the light side. I tried to turn off all the aids to see if I have would have a hard time keeping it on the track.

Although one time I did fly into the wall on the straight away because I either turned and braked too early into the on-coming turn.

I love the braking assist points. That's a great feature. Tells you when to brake, coast and throttle.

The physics seems a little like DIRT. But if they made it completely realistic no one would be able to keep the car on the track.

jcalvert
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by jcalvert »

JRod wrote:I don't think it has the same physics under the hood as Forza. It seems on the light side.

The physics seems a little like DIRT. But if they made it completely realistic no one would be able to keep the car on the track.
I have never played Forza or DIRT, so I cannot compare the three games. I do agree with you that F1CE is not ultra realistic, not even close. The game gives you enough rope to hang yourself, but at the same time I think the developers did what they could to keep things fun.

I think given enough time, I could find problems with most console simulation games, but in the case of F1CE I think there is the perfect balance of simulation (you can belive that an F1 car will behave in this manner) and fun.

I mention "fun" several times because that is what F1CE is providing me. Plus the whore in me like the pretty graphics. The old cars that you can unlock are also fun in the time trial mode; you cannot setup the cars, and I think all aids are disabled. Good stuff.

I also like the fact that the game will assist you in getting a good setup by running various tasks in pre-race practice sessions. Plus you get to save between practice, qualifying, and the actual race. That is huge for this gamer, because I am always pressed for time.
jcalvert
www.calvertgames.com

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

I have been playing a career on medium and damn is it hard to get a spot. First off I'm just not fast enough to beat the required times. The game is far too easy on EASY.

I can see where the review found the game too hard. For it's a matter of how to get faster and right now I don't know how to do that. I'm not spinning in every turn but I'm 2 or 3 seconds over the trial times in career mode.

It's a very good game.

jcalvert
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by jcalvert »

JRod, I have not touched career mode, but I have also not taken the game off of easy. So there, I suck. LOL

Not to spam and solicit here, but I have posted a couple of updates on the game (@ RB). Probably not that useful for you, but more casual gamers may find the info helpful if they are sitting on the fence thinking about a purchase.

I find the game to be a blast, and I am not winning on a regular basis on the easy mode, so actually my opinions may not be that helpful.
jcalvert
www.calvertgames.com

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

jcalvert wrote:JRod, I have not touched career mode, but I have also not taken the game off of easy. So there, I suck. LOL

Not to spam and solicit here, but I have posted a couple of updates on the game (@ RB). Probably not that useful for you, but more casual gamers may find the info helpful if they are sitting on the fence thinking about a purchase.

I find the game to be a blast, and I am not winning on a regular basis on the easy mode, so actually my opinions may not be that helpful.
Well I play the game much similar to you. Except it's qualifying on a team is too easy on easy. Racing is another story. I tend to race like its Forza which means I take out the entire field on the first turn.

I read your blog posts and they you make some good points. Ya if they made a realistic F1 game it would be DOA. This game is a lot of fun for me and it acutally made me think about picking up a used copy of Toca to race some other "racing" classes.

Back to F1, I think this is how racing titles should be done. Maybe through in a few more bells and whistles but F1 is a blend of realism and fun. You can't say that about NASCAR.

You should give a good shake the racing evolution. It might not seem like much but it's a feature that every racing title should have from Forza, to NASCAR 08, maybe even DIRT.

It works a lot like going to the eye-doctor where he gives you two lenses to see what one give you the better vision. You run with a full fuel load to a light fuel load. It messes with downforce and everything else. I love the fact that if you crash you lose ten minutes. This would be perfect in a NASCAR game, where you could call into your crew chief and tell them the cars a little loose and in the next pit they fix it. Or during practices you run a few laps and your crew changes the car.

I am really liking F1. It's the best non street racing game I've played. Toca was good because it had a lot of cars but this one has the complete package.

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

Id get into this game if the control was better, just cant get a feel with the car it drives me crazy. Needs rumble or force feedback .

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

I ended up picking this one up since EB had a Buy 2 Get 1 free sale on used games. WOW! Talk about sense of speed. This game is friggin' intense! I agree that rumble would be great Jimmy but this game is a total rush. This game seems pretty deep too. I started a Race Weekend and was having fun just hot lapping so my crew could adjust the car to my style. Hell, I didn't even make it to the actual race before I had to go to bed.

Edit: Oh, I almost forgot; Time Trials at Mugello = 8O Some of the lighting effects on display are amazing.
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

I've logged a good deal of time with this game over the weekend.

For me the major disappoinment is that there is no saves during a race weekend in career mode. Other than that, this is one of the best racing game I've played. For that matter it's a very good game on its own. If anyone that owns a PS3 and loves racing, I think you will enjoy this game.

Bottom line, its fun.

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

ScoopBrady wrote:Edit: Oh, I almost forgot; Time Trials at Mugello = 8O Some of the lighting effects on display are amazing.
The Italian GP is at Monza. Ya it really shows off the PS3. I have only raced Bahrain, Silverstone, Mangy-Couers and Catalona for any extended periods. I'm just trying to get a ride in the Career mode. The lighting between the trees at Monza is great.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

I'm glad you guys are enjoying it too. I love it. It's hard to play any other racers after playing this game due to the sense of speed, graphics, and the field of 22.

I bought the PS3 now mainly to play The Show and for Blu-ray, but I've played F1 almost as much as The Show.