Tecmo Bowl 2008

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Tecmo Bowl 2008

Post by MizzouRah »

From The Blog for the Sports Gamer:

From IGN: http://ps3.ign.com/articles/787/787604p1.html

Quote:
Next, Tecmo Bowl...

7:23: Seriously, Tecmo Bowl? People at the press conference cheer. Mr. Inaga, Vice President of Tecmo Inc, takes the stage. Inada takes the stage and jokes that the title of the game wasn't supposed to ahve been revealed until the end. "Just pretend like you don't know that it says Tecmo Bowl here" (pointing to the logo on the screen) "Instead of telling you about it, we're going to s how you a video that is very memorable."

The video begins. The video shows Tecmo employees (including Inada himself) playing SNES Tecmo Bowl. Jumps to a trailer for the full game. Set for release in 2008. But, no footage of the game itself ... just a logo. And no platform announcement, intentionally. "I can't tell you what platform we're making it for. But I can tell you that it's probably not going to be on the platform that you're expecting... if that makes any sense." This 2008 game will not be a port. It's a band new game for one of the new systems. But which one?!? "That's one thing I can tell you for sure. This is going to be a brand new game for one of the new systems ... We're confident that the new Tecmo Bowl is going to be the talk of the town in 2008."

Forget Madden, forget NFL 2k8, this IS what football was all about years ago baby!

Now I'm really wondering which console this is coming out for.

I'll take a guess and say PSP (better hold on to mine now).

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

i say it is for the DS

RallyMonkey
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RallyMonkey »

I already own a DS, and with my recent PS3 purchase a PSP is probably on the way (again), but this would move that from "probably on the way" to "definitely on the way."

Leadfoot5
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Leadfoot5 »

My guess is that it's for the DS, but it really is awesome news no matter what system they are developing it for... Finally!

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

RallyMonkey wrote:
I already own a DS, and with my recent PS3 purchase a PSP is probably on the way (again), but this would move that from "probably on the way" to "definitely on the way."
Yeah, it's just a hopeful guess, but the DS is a good one as well. From that statement, it doesn't seem like a console (maybe Wii)?

LAking
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by LAking »

Interesting, but i'm not expecting much from it. Expectations on sports games were much different back in the day. Perhaps a Wii version might be cool, but i'm not holding my breath.
"Be tolerant of those who describe a sporting moment as their best ever. We do not lack imagination, nor have we had sad and barren lives; it is just that real life is paler, duller, and contains less potential for unexpected delirium." -Nick Hornby

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

As much as I like the old games, I'm skeptical. Though I have considered joining a TSB league with updated roms, those could be pretty fun. DSP league anyone?

WillHunting
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by WillHunting »

I am keeping my expectation very low. Anyone remember Tecmo Bowl for PS1? That was HORRIBLE.

Sport73
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sport73 »

It's got to be a Wii version. "Talk of the town" etc.; no handheld game gets that much attention, nor could Tecmo hope to do anything so compelling that it would really stand out. On the Wii, however, they might have a unique control scheme that really sets it apart.

To this news, my reaction is mostly: eh...
Sport73

"Can't we all just get along? I'll turn this car around RIGHT now!"

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

I REALLY hope it's not on the Wii.

GTHobbes
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GTHobbes »

So long as Tiburon has nothing to do with the game, I'll at least remain interested.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

First screens of DS version due this fall. On-field graphics look almost exactly like first version on SNES.

Looks like fake teams and players, which I'm not sure how it will my affect my enjoyment yet.

Wii version due out next year, with no info yet.

http://kotaku.com/5011541/tecmo-bowl-screens

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

It's definitely fake teams and players. I read something about this game a couple weeks back.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I've never played Tecmo Bowl. I've read a lot of guys raving about this game. What's so special about it?

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

Rodster wrote:I've never played Tecmo Bowl. I've read a lot of guys raving about this game. What's so special about it?
Probably nothing now. But back in the day, it was a great football game. It had stat tracking, injuries, fully licensed, only 8 plays, super diagonal running, blocked field goals, and really great 8-bit music.

Granted we probably weren't expecting as much back then but the video game generation was much younger those days. Now we are all grown up and want a little thing called realism. :D
[url=http://sensiblecoasters.wordpress.com/][b]Sensible Coasters - A critique of sports games, reviews, gaming sites and news. Questionably Proofread![/b][/url]

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

I have a NES & tecmo and super tecmo. It's still a blast to play, but the just seeing the old names in game are the real treat. Dave Meggett, Jay Schroeder, Thurman Thomas... People think Bo Jackson was the best RB in the game, but he wasn't - anyone know who it was??

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

greggsand wrote:I have a NES & tecmo and super tecmo. It's still a blast to play, but the just seeing the old names in game are the real treat. Dave Meggett, Jay Schroeder, Thurman Thomas... People think Bo Jackson was the best RB in the game, but he wasn't - anyone know who it was??
Marcus Allen...
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

johnnypark
Mario Mendoza

Post by johnnypark »

sportdan30 wrote:It's definitely fake teams and players. I read something about this game a couple weeks back.
I think you can edit everything. The players, the teams, the team colors and logos.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

JRod wrote:
Rodster wrote:I've never played Tecmo Bowl. I've read a lot of guys raving about this game. What's so special about it?
Probably nothing now. But back in the day, it was a great football game. It had stat tracking, injuries, fully licensed, only 8 plays, super diagonal running, blocked field goals, and really great 8-bit music.

Granted we probably weren't expecting as much back then but the video game generation was much younger those days. Now we are all grown up and want a little thing called realism. :D
Nailed it...

It was all we had and we loved every minute of it.

Now we want a perfect run to pass ratio from the AI .

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

Teal wrote:
greggsand wrote:I have a NES & tecmo and super tecmo. It's still a blast to play, but the just seeing the old names in game are the real treat. Dave Meggett, Jay Schroeder, Thurman Thomas... People think Bo Jackson was the best RB in the game, but he wasn't - anyone know who it was??
Marcus Allen...
Christian Okoye!! Dude is completely unfair, but everyone always went for Bo Jackson - who was crazy tough, but Okoye was the sh*t!!!

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

greggsand wrote:
Teal wrote:
Marcus Allen...
Christian Okoye!! Dude is completely unfair, but everyone always went for Bo Jackson - who was crazy tough, but Okoye was the sh*t!!!
AH, YEAH! I totally forgot about him...I was one of the ones constantly taking the Raiders for Bo...if my cousin picked the Raiders, I simply went with the Giants, and ol' LT...sack city, baby!
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

seanmac31
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by seanmac31 »

Seeing as I fired up NFL 2K just recently and had trouble wading through it, it felt so antiquated, I can't say I'm fired up for Tecmo. Of course, I never thought that much of the original game- football video gaming didn't really take off for me until Joe Montana Sports Talk Football and Madden 93.

Murph
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Murph »

Confirmed for DS and Wii. Lots of customization as you would expect.

Some videos here. http://ds.ign.com/articles/877/877577p1.html

Don't know if I'll get bored with it fast, but I'm kinda diggin' the DS version and am looking forward to playting it.
XBL: Murph1
PSN: Murph_1

GTHobbes
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GTHobbes »

I remember having friends who were stuck in love with Tecmo and wouldn't even try Madden when I brought it to the dorms in my freshman year of college back in 1989-90. Funny how things have come full circle, and now I'm the one looking for an alternative to Madden. Still, I just don't see how this one could be fun for more than 20 minutes, once the nostalgia factor wore off. Maybe I'll give it a shot on the Wii if it comes out.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

Tecmo Super Bowl for NES holds up as a single player game better than most EA sports games from the 16bit era. Granted, it may not feel like football to some, but it provides some decent back and forth when you get late in the season.

Multiplayer though, I have no doubt this game will be great fun, assuming I have someone to play it with! Am I the only one here who every now and again plays Tecmo or NHL 94 with friends?