Another Dead X360

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Another Dead X360

Post by Leebo33 »

F*ck. There goes #2. I hate to make another thread, but I'm pissed. The drive won't open and makes a terrible sound when I try to open it.

I called and got them down to $70 to fix, but I'm still pissed. I really don't want to put money into a flawed console. I'm assuming I have to bite the bullet and pay. Has anyone got a repair for free lately?

I'm going to get it fixed because I'm basically screwed if I don't. Selling it broken is only going to get me a $100 or so and I doubt Gamestop would offer much in trade towards a PS3. However, this is the last Microsoft console I'm ever buying. First I got saddled with the Thompson drive and now I'm up to my 3rd 360. Nintendo stood behind their product and replaced my broken DS Lite and I rewarded them with a Wii purchase.

drbaseball
Mario Mendoza

Post by drbaseball »

My premium launch console died today.

Initially I was going to trade it in for an Elite. By the time I made that decision they were all gone. I was told there wouldn't be anymore until the end of May.

As such, I bought a core from Target with a 3 year warranty. The 3 year warranty was only $30.00. Not bad.

I took my premium hard drive, added it to my new core, and am now good to go. I plan on trading in my old premium as core to EB later this week.

Wonder what kind of credit I will get?

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Quality control is definately not a strong suit...Its actually pretty disgraceful...

Mine is on its deathbed...Im scared to take WE out of the drive for fear it will never work again and I wanna play me games....

Why I have been playing alot of WoW and now LotR...

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

My 2nd one is working still but it made some weird noises the last time I played a game. Turns out my son had put his CARS dvd in it to watch a movie when I was at work. The DVD has some scrathes on it, but that should not kill the console, at least I hope not.

If my 2nd Xbox 360 dies on me, I'll get a replacement but I will probably sell it off and end up buying a ps3.

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Another Dead X360

Post by DivotMaker »

Leebo33 wrote:F*ck. There goes #2. I hate to make another thread, but I'm pissed.

However, this is the last Microsoft console I'm ever buying.
Can't say I blame you. If it were not for the library of games available, the more competitive "initial" price, and the features in XB Live, I would be a PS3 owner again too. MS has NO excuse for this poor quality.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

That's a bummer, Leebo. The quality horror stories of the 360 are one of the reasons I never was in a hurry to get one before I switched to PC gaming.

It pains me to spend $400 on something reliable. But something unreliable? That eviscerates me.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

Yes scary leebo my drive needs a nudge to opensometimes i may be next. I definitly dont have an extra 70 bucks right now.

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

It's crazy how many 360 stories u hear. Although, thinking about my history of consoles:

NES: has to 'wedge' a book into the game slot to keep the cartridge in the "just right position"...

Genesis: no probs that I recall

Playstation: had to turn one upside-down(or on it's side) to play it after awhile.

Dreamcast: no probs (still have it)

Xbox: 'dirty disc error' after 6 months. next one was just fine (still have it)

360: one overheated after a 'long day' of games - next one is fine (so far), but can be flaky at times.

I think companies just rush the these things out. Although, seems like my sega gear was just fine, too bad they sucked at marketing....

kevinpars
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by kevinpars »

Leebo, sorry to hear the bad news. I agree with your feelings.

I got the 2 year MS warranty, which is good for another 9 months or so. After that, if my 360 (I'm on my 3rd refurb) dies again, I will have a decision to make. It will be an interesting decision if Sony comes down in price.

My 360 was running hot enough that my DVDs would be very hot coming out off the 360 and after an hour of gaming if I tried to change games, the disk would not read unless i let it cool down for about 10 minutes. I got a cheap $20 laptop cooler with fans that pull the air out and set the 360 standing up on top of the fans and that has solved that heat issue.

But MS should be solving heat issues. That is why I shake my head when I see the new black model that still uses the hotter chips and the loud DVD drives.

Sport73
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sport73 »

I'm on my second 360 after the first one suffered the dreaded red ring of light.

Can anyone recommend an after-market warranty? I've had it for about 2 months now, but I'd like to insure it with a decent warranty (one that will actually replace it for FREE if it dies again).

If it does die, I will fix it and promptly trade it for a PS3; I love XBox Live but MS does not deserve to be rewarded for such miserable quality assurance.
Sport73

"Can't we all just get along? I'll turn this car around RIGHT now!"

kicko
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by kicko »

I would just fix it and wait until the fall when the rumored smaller chips will be produced. I think my major issue with this is the fact that it breaks and many times the refurbs they send you back dont seem to live long at all.

Look at the elite motherboard, MS moved somethings around added some major glue. Will this fix the issue i doubt it but it might take those elites a little furthur down the road and out of the 1 year warranty when they break.

I was considering placing the unit into a different case so it would have access to more fans and better exhaust. Honestly putting a power machine into a console box is the dumbest thing i think i've seen.

Slumberland
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Slumberland »

That sucks, Leeb. I'm still on my launch premium system with no problems and a two -year warranty from Toys R Us that expires this November. Which means it will probably die on Dec. 1st.

If that were to happen I'd probably go PS3 (MLB), or look into PC gaming for the first time. Games like S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and MVP heavily modded to be current sound pretty enticing to me.

mixdj1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by mixdj1 »

I had two failures right after launch and then another last fall. With the last failure I picked up a one year EB replacement warranty but that will be used only to get a replacement to sell if this one dies.

I'm on my last Xbox 360. I love Live and DSP poker nights but I'm not going to spend $40 on another replacement warranty if this one dies. If this system keeps working I'll stick with the 360 but should I get the 3 red lights again I'll just game on the PC. At least on the PC if I have issues I can fix them myself.

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

Sorry to hear that Leeb. I guess I have been fortunate with mine so far.
The tray sometimes won't close without a nudge, but I've had that problem from the beginning and it never got worse. It's a shame that so many of you are set to give up on the 360 completely if if dies on you. Hopefully the next round of 360's will be more reliable. Does anyone know if the new black one is more reliable or not? I guess the only recourse we all have is to grab a warranty....either at time of purchase or after.

Sport.....let me know if you find a good deal on a after market warranty. Might be smart for me to get mine covered now before it craps out on me.

LAking
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by LAking »

I bought my 360 in March of last year and it's still going. I probably don't play it quite as often as most of you guys do. There was a period of a few months when i was playing it daily but now i play far less. Maybe that is why it's lasted so long.

The DVD drive seems to be slowly dying as the tray often gets stuck and won't eject the first few times you press the button and it usually will not read a disc the first time you put it in. It will eject it automatically and then almost always works when i push the tray in a second time. I've had maybe 3 or 4 freezes and i think they were all while playing NCAA Football.

I couldn't just give up on the console like some of you guys are suggesting. There would be too many good games i would miss. I also just prefer gaming on a 360 opposed to a PS3, if only for the controller. I'll pick up a PS3 when they cut the price and make an IR adapter for it, but i won't give up on the 360 completely.
"Be tolerant of those who describe a sporting moment as their best ever. We do not lack imagination, nor have we had sad and barren lives; it is just that real life is paler, duller, and contains less potential for unexpected delirium." -Nick Hornby

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by F308GTB »

The premium I bought in April 2006 died over the weekend - ring of death. I have the MS extended warranty so we'll see how that goes. Before this I've had good luck with consoles. The only other one to die on me was a Japanese slim PS2 that refused to read DVDs after a month or two.

Sport73
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sport73 »

For those hoping the Elite was a more reliable box:

http://loot-ninja.com/2007/04/29/xbox-3 ... as-others/

Doesn't look like it...

Sad.
Sport73

"Can't we all just get along? I'll turn this car around RIGHT now!"

Nozzleman_216
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Nozzleman_216 »

wow, a lot of us from here all at once! What gives LOL? Mine has been freezing and stuttering almost daily and now I am getting the "Please insert an Xbox 360 game" error or something like that as well as several unrecognizable cd errors. All total this will be my 4th time returning :( I will be on the 5th soon. Pretty sad but not too many other options right now
XBL: Nozzleman 216
PSN: Nozzleman_216

TheGamer
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by TheGamer »

I hate to even post this in fear of jinxing myself, but I'm on a 2nd 360 without any issues. My first was a launch that I traded in just as my warranty was about to expire last november. I haven't had any problems with my second box either.
XBL gamertag:SecondACR Vet
PSN: BHoward1
http://community.2ksports.com/community ... id=1010465
http://twitter.com/ BradHowardSr

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

I sold my 360 and got out of console gaming for a bit. I wasn't getting to play and plus, these things seem flaky as hell. I'll get the bug again one day and I hope the consoles are more stable then.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

The coffin is on the way. $69.99 for the repairs, but at least shipping is free and I get an additional year warranty.

FatPitcher
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by FatPitcher »

I don't know why this issue hasn't turned into a huge scandal yet. I think if the entire truth about the defect rate, etc. were known, the 360 would be sunk. Not that I want that to happen, as I prefer it over the other 2 players in the market as a development platform.

I've had 2 of them (one from launch, one made in sept. 06) and both are still working fine. But I've heard enough cases of failure from people who have no reason to make things up that I've diagnosed the Xbox 360 with Packard-Bell Syndrome.

Darkbandit
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Darkbandit »

I think I have had it with MS and the 360. I picked up another one today after I sold the first one I had. Well the brand new one has given me E67 for a problem with the hard drive. With the previous system I had, I already had it repaired 3 times before I sold it and now with this one already with a bad hard drive, I am pretty much giving up on the 360 and getting a PS3. I kind of feel like Leebo right now, pretty ticked off.

macsomjrr
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by macsomjrr »

Mine just died for the first time today. Bought in January of 2007 and worked like a charm til today. I'm guessing it might have something to do with a marathon 24 watching night a couple days ago (7 episodes in 4 hours) which could have overheated the darn thing. It's pretty disheartening to hear all of the horror stories on this thread. THe 360 gave me the red ring of light after freezing and/or showing me a totally blank screen a couple times. LAAAME.

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

My 360 is showing some symptoms every once in a while, but hopefully it remains minor or it completely goes out since I still have time left on a warranty.

And MS expects people to use this fragile thing for IPTV? That's funny.