Another Dead X360

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Another Dead X360

Post by dbdynsty25 »

TheTruth wrote:I am on my third but it has been going strong for well over 2 years now. I was thinking of getting the new 250g slim but have a question. I bought a 120g HD a long time ago to install my games to, etc. Does it matter if some of my content on my 120g drive has been transferred once already? Can stuff be transferred to a new hard drive more than once I guess is what I am asking? And the slims come with a transfer cable included?
I went from the 20GB HD to the 120GB on my regular 360...and now I went from the 120GB to the 250GB on the slim. No problems. And no, it doesn't come with it...you've gotta cough up the 20 bucks to do it. I sold my 120GB drive and the transfer cable for 50 bucks...I really should have just returned the transfer cable and I still could have gotten 40+ for the HD itself...but I thought I'd be nice and include it.

TheTruth
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TheTruth »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
TheTruth wrote:I am on my third but it has been going strong for well over 2 years now. I was thinking of getting the new 250g slim but have a question. I bought a 120g HD a long time ago to install my games to, etc. Does it matter if some of my content on my 120g drive has been transferred once already? Can stuff be transferred to a new hard drive more than once I guess is what I am asking? And the slims come with a transfer cable included?
I went from the 20GB HD to the 120GB on my regular 360...and now I went from the 120GB to the 250GB on the slim. No problems. And no, it doesn't come with it...you've gotta cough up the 20 bucks to do it. I sold my 120GB drive and the transfer cable for 50 bucks...I really should have just returned the transfer cable and I still could have gotten 40+ for the HD itself...but I thought I'd be nice and include it.
I think I gave my cable to friend. The cable itself hasn't changed though right? In case I find it. Thanks DB.

Is the best buy protection plan worth it on the new slims?
[b]Xbox Live Gamertag:[/b] [color=red]HOGZ TheTruth[/color] Wii: 7256 9991 5571 9701

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

TheTruth wrote:I think I gave my cable to friend. The cable itself hasn't changed though right? In case I find it. Thanks DB.

Is the best buy protection plan worth it on the new slims?
Yeah pretty sure the cable is the same tho, I gave mine away too and had to buy a new one.

As for the protection plan being worth it...this time I'm taking my chances. I've paid for too many plans so if I purchased one this time, I'd have paid for an entire 250GB system with all of the money. So I am rolling the dice this time...I just figured that at almost 1/3 the price, it's not worth it really. I'm hoping MS finally learned their lesson with the quality control. Crossing my fingers as hard as ever. :)

TheTruth
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TheTruth »

Wow - are all stores suffering from a shortage of 250g slims? There isn't a Best Buy within 100 miles of me that have them in stock. They have plenty bundled with the kinect though.
[b]Xbox Live Gamertag:[/b] [color=red]HOGZ TheTruth[/color] Wii: 7256 9991 5571 9701

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

TheTruth wrote:Wow - are all stores suffering from a shortage of 250g slims? There isn't a Best Buy within 100 miles of me that have them in stock. They have plenty bundled with the kinect though.
That's weird...the one I went to had like 25 of them. A huge pallet with all of the models with and w/o the Kinect.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Just saw this

http://kotaku.com/5751633/

Now I've had a slim for a while and I don't think it needs one of these. Also as previously noted my cabinet is tricked out so all my systems in it stay at a nice 67 degrees all the time. But for $20 this thing looks slick and might be worth the investment since the install seems so easy.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Danimal wrote:Just saw this

http://kotaku.com/5751633/

Now I've had a slim for a while and I don't think it needs one of these. Also as previously noted my cabinet is tricked out so all my systems in it stay at a nice 67 degrees all the time. But for $20 this thing looks slick and might be worth the investment since the install seems so easy.
I would say yes to it until I read you need to plug it into a USB port on the 360. That's a double edge sword because not it requires more power to run the fans and more will be generated in the 360. that was the problem in their first design where you either had to use the AC pass through connector or plugging it into a USB port.

Their best design is the one that has it's separate power supply you plug into an AC outlet. That's the one that's on my close to three year old 360 Pro with the redesigned heatsinks along with the 90nm CPU and GPU.

skinsfan
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by skinsfan »

Does the use of intercoolers still void your warranty?
I know they did at one time.MS can see the little rings from where the thing was attached.
The original ones were pure snake oil,as they did nothing to prevent the actual cause of RROD and actually made the machine run hotter.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Yeah, you NEVER want to tell either Sony or Microsoft you are using an unsupported device like an Intercooler on one of their machines. If you do be prepared to hand over your credit card info. :lol:

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Actually my understanding is these new ones do not void your warranty, I could be wrong.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Finally fixed what Microsoft should have done in the first place, provided proper cooling for the 360. I replaced the thermal paste on my 360 Pro which had the new style heatsinks. I installed 2 cooling fans one on the CPU heatsink and the other on top of the massive GPU heatsink. I also installed a new exhaust fan to blow out more air.

Now I need to cut a hole on top to allow for the fan to clear the top of the case. Hopefully i'll be RROD free for along time to come. If you guys want i'll take some pictures. :)

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

yes pictures please

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Now Rodster if you had this thing going before the slims came out you could have made a little side business from all of us at DSP. Looks good.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Lol nice lights. Going to a LAN party or something? Lol.

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

Rodster wrote:Image

damn that's nice. I get a hard on for stuff like this.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Funny you guys mentioned the lights and I feel the same way. I could not find those mod fans without the disco LED's (green/blue/red) take your choice. I may remove the blue lights. This was more of a project for me. Should have left it alone as the unit still had a 1 year warranty left on it for RROD.

:) :lol:

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Well I re-cleaned and reapplied the thermal grease just to be sure, same result. I also noticed I didn't need the top fan going to the CPU, the heatsink in front of the tunnel shroud. I also replaced the case since I absolutely destroyed the original case. :lol:

It's now a jet black 360. :)

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

pics please

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

Looks great. How do u make it black? You painted it or got a cover? Let me rub one out on these last set of pics :)

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

It's a new aftermarket case :)

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

noticed that Gamestop is selling the 20GB Pro version for $99. Are these the first run consoles from 4-5 years ago?

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

The Pro's used the updated heatsink but the chips were still 90nm which is why they still ran hot. The first 360's to use the lower power, cooler running chips were the 360 Arcade units. They had a lower power PSU. Those supposedly are very reliable.

The best way to find out is to look to the side of the 360 and see if you can see the copper pipe and the tail heatsink which looks like this.

The first small fan is going to the new style GPU heatsink. That's where I mounted the first fan, closest to you in the picture.

This where you'll need to look to find the new heatsink.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

fsquid wrote:noticed that Gamestop is selling the 20GB Pro version for $99. Are these the first run consoles from 4-5 years ago?
These also don't come with the wireless network adapter or an hdmi input, correct?