OT: Anyone Play Adult Baseball?

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

Inuyasha wrote:Anyone know where i can get a bat corked? I just always wanted to have a corked bat just to feel the difference. I've been told it's good to use for batting practice. I 'm afraid to ask anyone on my team since they may think I want to cheat in the games. But I really don't, I just was always fascinated about how to cork a bat.
I don't know why you would go to al that trouble and possibly ruin your bat and or get kicked out of the league? I don't know why it would be good for bp, since it';s lighter. Your regular bat would then feel heavier to you. I would take bp with my regular bat or at least something that feels similiar. You wouldn't hit a different set of golf clubs at the range than you would use on the course, would you?

JMO

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

I need your help.

I want to learn how to get under the ball so I have more loft. The only hits I get are line drives and the HR I hit was a line drive. I want to hit a HR by getting under the ball as they say.

But whenever I try to do that, I keep popping up. What is a good technique to get under the ball and loft it up for a hr?

snate
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by snate »

Finish high with your swing follow through. A lot of people finish with their hands below shoulder height. To improve loft, finish with your hands up by your ears.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Inuyasha wrote:I need your help.

I want to learn how to get under the ball so I have more loft. The only hits I get are line drives and the HR I hit was a line drive. I want to hit a HR by getting under the ball as they say.

But whenever I try to do that, I keep popping up. What is a good technique to get under the ball and loft it up for a hr?
What the hell? Don't most people strive to be line drive hitters? Your margin for success is significantly higher if you try for the line drive rather than the homer. But as my boys said...chicks dig the long ball.

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

dbdynsty25 wrote:But as my boys said...chicks dig the long ball.
One of the best baseball-related commercials ever!

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

In High School, all I did was hit line drives. I was a singles/doubles hitter in high school ala Pete Rose. Never really put any loft into the ball but always wished I could like some of our power hitters.

So years later, I still have that desire to try to hit those booming drives to the outfield. Maybe I'm not that kind of player, but I would like to experience it once. I always had trouble trying to get loft and power into my swing. I think it comes from my past and my HS coaches always relying one me to get on base (was leading off most of the time).

I guess it's just a long time wish I had.

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

Inuyasha wrote:In High School, all I did was hit line drives. I was a singles/doubles hitter in high school ala Pete Rose. Never really put any loft into the ball but always wished I could like some of our power hitters.

So years later, I still have that desire to try to hit those booming drives to the outfield. Maybe I'm not that kind of player, but I would like to experience it once. I always had trouble trying to get loft and power into my swing. I think it comes from my past and my HS coaches always relying one me to get on base (was leading off most of the time).

I guess it's just a long time wish I had.

I wouldn't mess with my swing if I were you. The line drives might go away. A line drive hitter is far more valuable than a power hitter who also pops up a lot. Stay with your strengths. Nothing wrong with line drive HR's. That's all Don Mattingly used to hit.

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

Inuy....so how about an update?

I am doing pretty good....hitting wise. After 9 games, I am 12 for 27 at .444. I have also been able to steal second almost at will and have not yet been thrown out and have about 10 sb's. In the field, I have been playing mostly 3b and some 2b and have done pretty well. Unfortunately, out team is in the lower 3rd of the division and we have a hard time competing with the top teams. We lost out best pitcher due to a argument he had with our manager and our other starters are mediocre at best. I haven't tried pitching yet, but might get a chance soon. My arm/shoulder had been bothering me a little and I dont want to push it.
I am fine making a few throws from 3rd per game, but I dont know how pitching would effect it.

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

JackB1 wrote:Inuy....so how about an update?

I am doing pretty good....hitting wise. After 9 games, I am 12 for 27 at .444. I have also been able to steal second almost at will and have not yet been thrown out and have about 10 sb's. In the field, I have been playing mostly 3b and some 2b and have done pretty well. Unfortunately, out team is in the lower 3rd of the division and we have a hard time competing with the top teams. We lost out best pitcher due to a argument he had with our manager and our other starters are mediocre at best. I haven't tried pitching yet, but might get a chance soon. My arm/shoulder had been bothering me a little and I dont want to push it.
I am fine making a few throws from 3rd per game, but I dont know how pitching would effect it.
I'm doing ok, I am batting .280 for the season so far, 1 HR, and mostly singles and doubles for me. The problem with our league now is a lot of the guys who started playing aren't showing up. Probably it's due to family vacations and kids being out for the summer. So pitching staff's are short and we've got to play different positions when one of the position players is used as a pitcher. Our team is doing ok, we're in 2nd place 3 games out. We've got 8 more games to go, but only 4 of those I play in since I only play the Friday night games.

So far it's been a really fun experience. I got to admit we're sort of in the dog days of the season now since that initial rush I had in the beginning sort of waned. But I am still enjoying it.

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

Inuyasha wrote:
JackB1 wrote:Inuy....so how about an update?

I'm doing ok, I am batting .280 for the season so far, 1 HR, and mostly singles and doubles for me. The problem with our league now is a lot of the guys who started playing aren't showing up. Probably it's due to family vacations and kids being out for the summer. So pitching staff's are short and we've got to play different positions when one of the position players is used as a pitcher. Our team is doing ok, we're in 2nd place 3 games out. We've got 8 more games to go, but only 4 of those I play in since I only play the Friday night games.

So far it's been a really fun experience. I got to admit we're sort of in the dog days of the season now since that initial rush I had in the beginning sort of waned. But I am still enjoying it.
That's funny, talking about "dog days" in a 20 game season :D
Think about the majors, where they play +150.
I am still enjoying it. There is nothing like the feeling of making solid
contact on the sweet spot of a wood bat and watching that ball take off into the gaps :D That keeps me coming back for more :D

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

Went 2 for 4 yesterday to keep my avg above .400 (.429).

Unfortunately I "tweaked" a hamstring trying to score from 2nd on a base hit and as I was rounding 3rd I guess I trying kicking it into overdrive and felt a pain in the back of my lower thigh. I pulled up a little and was thrown out by 10 feet. I was able to finnish the game but was a little "hobbled". Luckily I have a week until the next game, so I am hoping it will be better in 7 days.

Anyone have any experience with hamstring injuries? Mine is minor....slight pain and can only run at about 70%. Is there anything I can do to speed healing other than staying off of it as much as i can?
I know ice is good, but what about massage? I have one of those hand-held percussive massagers......would that help or just aggravate it more?

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

JackB1 wrote:Went 2 for 4 yesterday to keep my avg above .400 (.429).

Unfortunately I "tweaked" a hamstring trying to score from 2nd on a base hit and as I was rounding 3rd I guess I trying kicking it into overdrive and felt a pain in the back of my lower thigh. I pulled up a little and was thrown out by 10 feet. I was able to finnish the game but was a little "hobbled". Luckily I have a week until the next game, so I am hoping it will be better in 7 days.

Anyone have any experience with hamstring injuries? Mine is minor....slight pain and can only run at about 70%. Is there anything I can do to speed healing other than staying off of it as much as i can?
I know ice is good, but what about massage? I have one of those hand-held percussive massagers......would that help or just aggravate it more?
Hamstrings were my biggest worry when I first started this season. I just don't run much and this was the first type of physical exercise I've done in a while. And it's not even strenuous since it's just baseball where you really don't have to be in tip top shape to play.

I always make it a point to stretch before games.

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

Inuyasha wrote: Hamstrings were my biggest worry when I first started this season. I just don't run much and this was the first type of physical exercise I've done in a while. And it's not even strenuous since it's just baseball where you really don't have to be in tip top shape to play.

I always make it a point to stretch before games.
This past week I got there late and didn't have time to stretch and look what happened! First time I didn't stretch before a game !!! :x
It's true, you don't have to be in tip top shape, but when you do run in baseball, it's in quicks spurts, which makes it easier to pull something if you aren't warmed up. I hope I am OK for this Sun, as I am one of the few on our team that can steal bases. I felt like sh*t when I had to be removed for a pinch runner in the 9th last game. I bought one of those neoprene thigh sleeves and have been wearing it since yesterday. I read that keeping it warm and compressed helps the healing. I hope it works.

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

Any of you guys playing again this year? I am 3 games into my season and am 4 for 8 so far batting .500 I am playing center field this season and pitch on occasion. I can run down a lot of balls out there, but my arm could be better. Luckily our SS has a great arm so I get the ball into him for any long throws to the plate.

fatheadX
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by fatheadX »

Yeah, I'm playing again this year in the 35+ wood bat league. It is my third year. I mainly concentrate on pitching (I've never been much of a hitter). My pitching stats:

2006 3-8, 72 innings, 99 hits, 25 BBs, 38 Ks, 7.03 ERA Team went 4-14
2007 9-2, 85 innings, 90 hits, 12 BBs, 61 Ks, 4.98 ERA Team went 11-7
2008 2-1, 37 innings, 41 hits, 10 BBs, 16 Ks, 4.91 ERA Team is 4-2

As you can see from the W-L records, I pitch most of the games. The coach's original goal was to have three starters, but it has not worked out and I start most games these days. We moved up to better competition this year, hence the drop in strikeouts. I'm pitching better this year, but the last two games I've tired in the eighth inning and we've lost the lead in both. We ended up losing the first one (to the defending champs) and came back to win the second one. Our team could easily be 6-0 as both games were lost late (our first game of the season we had four errors in the ninth inning to blow a three run lead!)

My batting averages over the last three years are .282, .229, and .350 so far this year.

I really enjoy playing but it takes a big chunk of time, so I think this will be my last year. I will miss the competition, but not the Monday sore arm!

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

I was thinking about doing it this summer but I won't. Last summer it was fun, but at the end of the season, a lot of no shows.

pigpen81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pigpen81 »

I am playing for a team (White Sox) tomorrow morning at San Diego High School.

Our opponent:

06/29/08 0830 MLB 08 The Show............... vs White Sox..................... (at San Diego)

I imagine they will have some team members who work on the game.

Every time one of them gets on second and I dog them from shortstop, I am going to tell them "I want a fielders camera" "I want a fielders camera" "Give me a fielders camera and I will by a PS3 just for the Show 2009"

[/b]

macsomjrr
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by macsomjrr »

pigpen81 wrote:I am playing for a team (White Sox) tomorrow morning at San Diego High School.

Our opponent:

06/29/08 0830 MLB 08 The Show............... vs White Sox..................... (at San Diego)

I imagine they will have some team members who work on the game.

Every time one of them gets on second and I dog them from shortstop, I am going to tell them "I want a fielders camera" "I want a fielders camera" "Give me a fielders camera and I will by a PS3 just for the Show 2009"

[/b]
That is pretty cool:) You should be a total nerd and bring a PS3 controller for them to sign, oh and don't forget some thick glasses and a pocket protector too. The weather has been pretty nice here the past couple weeks so I'm sure it'll be a perfect day for some ball.