NHL Playoffs

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Ottawa owns Buffalo for some reason, they played great tonight.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

MizzouRah wrote:Ottawa owns Buffalo for some reason, they played great tonight.
That was during the regular season, and I am sure BUF will come out smoking next time. But they need to play smarter, tidier, too many turnovers tonight causing them to take the penalties and like PK was saying, OTT will make any team pay with their PP.

This is a different Senators team of yesteryear, where being down 0-2 was the end of the game. But they kept their composure, they never panicked and played a strong third period. Good win, no doubt, but it's only game 1.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

ANA gives a key PP to the Wings towards the end end the game and it cost them. What a player T. Holmstrom is screening the goalies, the best in the business I'd say. Tight game, I think it'll be a low scoring affair this series, the way both keepers played tonight, especially the ageless Dominator Hasek. Tough night for F. Beauchemin as both goals gets by him.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

10spro wrote:
MizzouRah wrote:Ottawa owns Buffalo for some reason, they played great tonight.
That was during the regular season, and I am sure BUF will come out smoking next time. But they need to play smarter, tidier, too many turnovers tonight causing them to take the penalties and like PK was saying, OTT will make any team pay with their PP.

This is a different Senators team of yesteryear, where being down 0-2 was the end of the game. But they kept their composure, they never panicked and played a strong third period. Good win, no doubt, but it's only game 1.
True, but a key game 1 for sure. Momentum goes to Ottawa.

ubrakto
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by ubrakto »

10spro wrote:ANA gives a key PP to the Wings towards the end end the game and it cost them. What a player T. Holmstrom is screening the goalies, the best in the business I'd say. Tight game, I think it'll be a low scoring affair this series, the way both keepers played tonight, especially the ageless Dominator Hasek. Tough night for F. Beauchemin as both goals gets by him.
As a Wings fan that was a really weird game to watch. Usually when the playoff script works like that, the Wings out shoot and outplay their opponent and avoid the box and then lose 2-1. This time the Wings got outshot, outplayed and lead a parade into the box and eeked out a win.

I'll take the reversal of fortune, of course. :)

And what an intense last few minutes with the late 4-on-3 (edited typo) and 6-on-4. I was sure Anaheim was going to find a way to tie it up.
---Todd
Last edited by ubrakto on Sat May 12, 2007 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

10spro wrote:ANA gives a key PP to the Wings towards the end end the game and it cost them. What a player T. Holmstrom is screening the goalies, the best in the business I'd say.
Bite your damn tongue or fingers, James. Have you forgotten one Ryan Smyth?

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

ubrakto wrote: And what an intense last few minutes with the late 4-on-3 (edited typo) and 6-on-4. I was sure Anaheim was going to find a way to tie it up. Todd
With about seven, six minutes to go, the Ducks were all over the Wings' zone while the game was still being played five on five and the score was still 1-1. It's during those line mismatches that Babcock will have to watch for, as for a whole minute & a half those Wings that were on the ice looked slow & lost in their coverage.

The outcome definitely could have been different if it wasn't for Hasek.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

pk500 wrote:
10spro wrote:ANA gives a key PP to the Wings towards the end end the game and it cost them. What a player T. Holmstrom is screening the goalies, the best in the business I'd say.
Bite your damn tongue or fingers, James. Have you forgotten one Ryan Smyth? Take care, PK
Ah Smytty, a very close second in my book PK. Lots of rumors about his future of course, including VAN if he doesn't sign back with EDM and even the Flames. But EDM has a lot more cap space and we'll see how much each party needs the other this summer.

Important game two for BUF tonight. D. Briere was hinting that he wasn't given the minutes he usually plays and L. Ruff will shuffle some lines for sure. It should be another dandy one guys.

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

Even though the Sabres are in the conference final, they have yet to play with the same energy that they did last year in the playoffs. A must win game for the Sabres tonight and they need to come out and punch the Senators in the mouth and let them know it's going to be a long series but they have to be careful and avoid the penalty box when doing so. I think this is the only way to knock the Sens off their game but they have to be smart about it. Some of Buffalo's top guys need to step it up.

Go Sabres
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Right now the Senators have an answer for anything the Sabres are throwing at them. Great game again, lots of intensity and OTT's special team and their top line are just outplaying Buffalo's.
J. Spezza, what a playoff he's having, with his clean faceoff win, Corvo scores the winner.

Although unlikely, OTT can sweep this series at home now.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Two more PP goals Saturday night for Ottawa. Second consecutive game in which the Sens have dumped in two with the man advantage.

As I said in my pre-series prediction, Buffalo will not win if it can't stop Ottawa's power play.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

This is what happened to us when only one player showed up against the ANA series.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

That was a fun game...Since Im not a fan of any of the 4 teams left... thats all I can ask for.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

ANA was just the better team tonight, they simply got he breaks they didn't in game one and Jiggy played great. The Niedermayer brothers had a good game too and the Ducks power forwards continue to pound on DET's D-men including Hasek as one of their goals was iffy in my mind. Should be a long series.

ubrakto
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by ubrakto »

I missed a lot of the Wings/Ducks game last night... stupid Mother's Day. I felt obligated to give my wife the remote and she rewarded my gift by watching an hour of The Simpsons and then, ugh, Physic Detective. I did see the end of the third period and the overtime and it certainly looked like the Ducks earned that one. Damn, but playoff OT losses in the hockey are by far the toughest to take.
---Todd

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

ubrakto wrote:I missed a lot of the Wings/Ducks game last night... stupid Mother's Day. I felt obligated to give my wife the remote and she rewarded my gift by watching an hour of The Simpsons and then, ugh, Physic Detective. I did see the end of the third period and the overtime and it certainly looked like the Ducks earned that one. Damn, but playoff OT losses in the hockey are by far the toughest to take.
---Todd
Do you only have 1 TV? :P

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

As I watch both series, the Eastern Conference games are played at a faster pace and with more skill.

So I wonder if that will translate to a victory in the Stanley Cup Finals by the Eastern representative, or are the Western Conference finals a grinding, dump-and-chase slogfest because of the better quality of defensemen and goaltenders, and the bigger physical stature ?

Anaheim and Detroit are better from the blueline back to the crease than Buffalo or Ottawa, so I wonder if that's enough to neuter the offensive skill and speed of the Sens and Sabres, especially the Sens.

Either way, the Stanley Cup Finals should be a very interesting clash of styles.

Take care,
PK

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Niedermeyer is right now the best of the 4 HOF defensemen...Looks like he will be the difference...

CrazyPsycho
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by CrazyPsycho »

I don't have the words for how embarrassed/angry/disappointed I am. This one tops them all for me. Worst performance of a team I've followed ever. Just no heart at all. I have no idea where it went.

What a bunch of gutless cowards. Ryan Miller is awesome though. I'd expect a 4-5 player turnover this offseason, way too many followers.

Hecht, Kotalik, Kalinin, Numminen, Spacek all have to be in serious jeopardy. I'm just in utter shock right now. I can't believe it. They just didn't show up. It's unfathomable. This is an all-time loss for me.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Let's be honest, not even the most crazy loyal Sens's fan would have imagined the series being up 3-0 in their favour. Right now, R. Emery is outplaying R. Miller and OTT's D is just underrated. People like Corvo and Volchenkov are stepping up big time and following their leaders in Redden & Phillips. Z. Chara, who? Well, they can wrap it up now but I still think BUF has something left. They have to. A total reversal of last year's playoffs between these two teams. Maybe winning the President's trophy is a jinx. OTT has been tough at home.
Last edited by 10spro on Tue May 15, 2007 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Crazy or not Ottawa has completely outplayed Buffalo in every game and deserve to be up 3-0.
The games scores have been closer than the actual competition on the ice due to the phenominal play of Miller.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Where the hell is the Sabres' team that had such a great start, persevered through injuries to stay atop the Eastern Conference and won the President's Trophy?

Let's face it: Buffalo never has shown up for these playoffs. The Sabres slid past the Islanders and Rangers on the sheer talent gap, as anyone who watched both of those series know that they were the most deceptive 4-1 advantages you'll ever see.

But now that the Sabres are playing a team with as much talent as them, they are being undone, unraveled and unglued. No team can simply turn it on after a month of lethargy and mediocre play. Not this deep into the playoffs.

Alfie's goal was a classic case last night. The Sabres were scrambling all over the zone, chasing Spezza and then leaving Alfie wide open to head to the net. Disgraceful.

I knew the Sabres had talent; I thought they had a lot more heart. This series is over Wednesday night. Gentlemen, start your brooms.

Take care,
PK

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

One other notable stat: Buffalo is 0-for-18 on the power play in this series.

And 15 shots on goal last night in the most important game of their season? Horrendous. It's pretty hard to consider Ray Emery for the Conn Smythe when he faces so little action.

Ottawa had 13 blocks last night, Buffalo seven. That stat shows which team is making the total commitment to winning.

I also question Lindy's devotion to Gaustad. He's not the same player he was before the injury, and Stafford was so good. Stafford should be in the Sabres' lineup.

Take care,
PK

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

The PP has been one of their main problems in this playoff, PK. People are not getting into the net, the shots are not getting thru from the blue line and are forced from the outside. Full credit again to OTT's D.
There are a few UFA in BUF at the end of this season including Briere & Drury, you would think this is clearly one of their true good chances to go all the way but not if they are being outplayed like this.

A sweep is definitely possible, but who would have thought the series in four?

ubrakto
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by ubrakto »

MizzouRah wrote:
ubrakto wrote:I missed a lot of the Wings/Ducks game last night... stupid Mother's Day. I felt obligated to give my wife the remote and she rewarded my gift by watching an hour of The Simpsons and then, ugh, Physic Detective. I did see the end of the third period and the overtime and it certainly looked like the Ducks earned that one. Damn, but playoff OT losses in the hockey are by far the toughest to take.
---Todd
Do you only have 1 TV? :P
We do, but it's in the bedroom and I had work that I needed to do on our computer. :(
---Todd